• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Revised NVIDIA Reviewers NDA Raises Eyebrows: Our Thoughts

System Name Cougar Conquer Custom
Processor Intel i9-9900k@5 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
Cooling EKWB Custom Hardline
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 3080 (soon)
Storage 1 TB NVME, 500 GB NVME
Display(s) BenQ Zowie XL2746S
Case Cougar Conquer
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech GPW
Keyboard Fnatic Ministreak
Seems like Gamersnexus got a lawyer to clarify some things. Hopefully i'm allowed to post their content here?

Well well well, looks like Kyle and that German site clickbaited more NVIDIA hate again, what a shocker.

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
Seems like Gamersnexus got a lawyer to clarify some things. Hopefully i'm allowed to post their content here?

THANK YOU!
To quote Jack The Lawyer... "It seems like making a mountain out of a molehill"

He basically inferred that every NDA is the same, this one just used a slightly strange (non-legal) term.

(you've just made quite a few conspiracy theorists very sad...congratulations!)

I would, however, like to know the name of the law firm this lawyer works for, because anyone can "pretend" to be a lawyer.

Maybe its his real estate lawyer or his tax lawyer, the important thing is its a lawyer. /s

Even then he had issues with the wording. Which he went back and forth on during the Q&A.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Maybe its his real estate lawyer or his tax lawyer, the important thing is its a lawyer. /s

Even then he had issues with the wording. Which he went back and forth on during the Q&A.

A question to those that signed NDA(s) (this NDA and / or others): this lawyer finds the wording "a bit weird" so, what if nVidia were to try and enforce this NDA "to the letter", as in, not what we (those that sign this NDA) think it means but rather what nVidia claims it means? Perhaps the wording is "a bit weird" on purpose.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave

No, he didn't have issues... he said it was "weird" but did not raise any red flags. He actually dismissed it. Said "ehuh.. yeah whatever", in fact. Also said "focus on the multiple terms, and not the 'solely for the benefit of'". Good job on skewing it to your perspective tho. :p

He also said "Seems like uh making a mountain out of a molehill" and "seems like a pretty boring NDA to me".

All roughly at the 27 minute mark. ;)

No, he didn't have issues... he said it was "weird" but did not raise any red flags. He actually dismissed it. Said "whatever", in fact. Good job on skewing it to your perspective tho. :p

Oh silly you....

Do I need to time stamp it for you.

He then jumps to the other paragraph. No skewing needed if hes unsure. You saying trust an unsure lawyer. No thank you. Your welcome to do that.

Jack The lawyer said:
"Who knows what that means"

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
At your time stamp he said:

"I don't know exactly what that means" (because its not legalese is my guess). "I don't like it, but whoever is reading this shouldn't be terribly concerned about it", and then made all those statements I gave above.

Edit:
The thing is, as a lawyer, you know that things that are open to interpretation are not "legalese". What this means is that there is no defined legal definition for that term. As a average person, he said, you could interpret it in many ways. What matters, is how the person signing it interprets it, and as such, is not cause for alarm.

You see, this is what lawyers depends on... the things that aren't defined. It is their job to argue that definition, in regards to the law.

Last edited:
At your time stamp he said:

"I don't know exactly what that means" (because its not legalese is my guess). "I don't like it, but whoever is reading this shouldn't be terribly concerned about it", and then made all those statements I gave above.

Yes, At the same time I wouldn't be dismissing those who have issues with it when the proof of dismissing such is by a lawyer who doesnt know what that means.

In the US you can always revise something if you don't like. Send it back see if they accept the changes or clarification. If they do or don't go from there.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Read my edit. As a business owner that has customers sign NDAs myself (I do not want my customers talking about what I do for them, as that knowledge is what gets me paid), I am far more familiar with legal proceedings for things like this than it might seem. As such, I FULLY understand what he was saying (see my edit above), but maybe you didn't?

Edit:

to clarify why I have people sign NDAs, I do social media roll-outs for small and medium businesses.

A question to those that signed NDA(s) (this NDA and / or others): this lawyer finds the wording "a bit weird" so, what if nVidia were to try and enforce this NDA "to the letter", as in, not what we (those that sign this NDA) think it means but rather what nVidia claims it means? Perhaps the wording is "a bit weird" on purpose.

Its vague for a reason.

Its up to the individual what they are willing to accept. Its all fine and dandy to discuss this until your found in breach and if they decided to pursue.

The judge favoring the "disclosing party" will be almost a certainty.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The judge favoring the "disclosing party" will be almost a certainty.
Doesn't work that way. Hence the mention in that video of "reasonable person". "Reasonable person" is legalese. If a reasonable person would think otherwise, it doesn't matter what the judge thinks. That's also why that "lawyer" said it wasn't worth worrying about. (you can google "reasonable person".)

Our job as a reviewer is to judge both the good and bad, and relay it to our readers, and the bad things mentioned are a way of letting a company know how they can improve. That is to their benefit. This is acceptable to a reasonable person as true, since all reviews carry a list of pros and cons. That means there is no "control" to be had on a reviews outcome via this NDA, as some would like to infer.

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu

That would require a judge to set a precedence, which is very rare in contractual law. Legalese is a very static language and legal professionals depend on speaking the same language. (there's nothing inferred in a contract, it's either there or it's not...that phrase is *not* there in a court)

Reactions: HTC
Doesn't work that way. Hence the mention in that video of "reasonable person". "Reasonable person" is legalese. If a reasonable person would think otherwise, it doesn't matter what the judge thinks. That's also why that "lawyer" said it wasn't worth worrying about. (you can google "reasonable person".

Care to put it to the practice

If a reasonable person "jack the lawyer" didn't know what it meant and went ahead and signed it.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Care to put it to the practice

If a reasonable person "jack the lawyer" didn't know what it meant and went ahead and signed it.
You obviously didn't look up what "reasonable person" means. I'll leave a link for those too lazy to google:

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Reasonable+Person

And yes, I have put it to practice here in Canada, and lost. :p That's why I'm pretty familiar with this stuff. I learned the hard way... by literally paying for it :p

Further to this point, you must look at those terms as the person who would be signing it; a hardware reviewer. Any hardware reviewer knows that feedback to a product maker, both positive and negative, are not only normal and expected, but wanted. Our way of doing business is showing both good and bad of a product. If we have no bad, then it is not a review; it is marketing. ;)

And yes, I have put it to practice here in Canada, and lost. :p That's why I'm pretty familiar with this stuff. I learned the hard way... by literally paying for it :p

Nvidia is in California and included Delaware Corp.

NDA is Delaware law governed. Should have drafted your NDA there they favor corporations.

Care to provide a draft of your NDAs to compare ? If your drafting NDAs that your loosing money on would you not then change them?

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Nvidia is in California and included Delaware Corp.

NDA is Delaware law governed. Should have drafted your NDA there they favor corporations.

Care to provide a draft of your NDAs to compare ?

My NDA is more specific, so as to protect me. That's the only difference here, and what I learned about this... if you have specific expectations, you have to specify them in a specific way (which is pretty funny to me, but OK, I was wrong to expect my customers to look at things my way, just simply because we both own businesses. The truth is that we are usually in different industries, so that means my customers would not have the same knowledge to base their interpretations on). Because of those specifics, no, I cannot share my own NDA forms.

Contractual law is pretty awesome, and still way over my head.. all I can share is what I've learnt and my experience. Like that "Reasonable Person" is actually defined by law. Any terms that are not defined by law are what get you into trouble.

For example, this NDA. You'll note that they defined what "Confidential Information" was... because they had to. They did not define "for NVIdia's benefit", leaving it open to "Reasonable Person" arguments. NVidia's lawyers knew this when the NDA was drafted (as evidenced by the definition of "confidential information"), and they did not define what that meant... which means those claims about trying to control the outcome of a review are not "reasonable".

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

Great so, even he says it's not a big deal.

TPU too has access to a Stuttgart-based corporate lawyer who can parse legalese.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
You don't need a bloody lawyer to understand the NDA posted in first post lol. I understand it and I'm neither lawyer or a native English speaker.
Same here :)

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
Does it apply to GTX970's Fiasco? Yes or no.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Doesn't this mean that cases such as 3.5 GB = 4 GB can NEVER be publicized by reviewers under NDA ?
No, unless Nvidia comes to reviewer and says 3.5GB = 4GB and this is Confidential Information. If this is found by reviewers themselves, they can by all means publish it.

No, unless Nvidia comes to reviewer and says 3.5GB = 4GB and this is Confidential Information. If this is found by reviewers themselves, they can by all means publish it.
So if Nvidia states : We have a workaround for memory distribution in this line of cards which involves tearing down some of the silicon ....
Reviewer can't tell us this stuff, so the answer here is "Maybe".

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
So if Nvidia states : We have a workaround for memory distribution in this line of cards which involves tearing down some of the silicon ....
Reviewer can't tell us this stuff, so the answer here is "Maybe".
See my response earlier on exactly that topic.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
All the armchair quarterbacks here needs to shut up. The other sites already said this is a normal NDA, nothing to see. Only people who have never seen a NDA would have their panties in a knot.