• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TrendForce: Price Decline Will Continue in NAND Flash Market in 2H18

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
The growth momentum for 2H18 NAND Flash market is expected to be weak, according to the latest report of DRAMeXchange, a division of TrendForce. Coupled with continuous improvements in yield rate and output of 64/72-layer 3D NAND Flash, DRAMeXchange expects the market to approach a balance between supply and demand, the contract prices of NAND Flash products are expected to decline further.

The contract prices of NAND Flash products have been decreasing for two consecutive quarters in 1H18 due to the traditional off-season and capacity expansion of 64/72-layer 3D NAND Flash. During this period, suppliers provided competitive prices for high-density products to boost the memory content per box, aiming to further improve the demand in peak season. Meanwhile, suppliers have postponed further plans of capacity expansion, hoping to moderate the price decline.

On the demand front, growth momentum for 2H18 NAND Flash market is expected to be weak although Q3 is the traditional peak season, with demand from smartphones, notebooks and tablets growing by 0-1%, 0-1%, and 9-10% QoQ respectively. Suppliers may further lower the quotes to boost the demand, which will result in steeper-than-expected price decline.

Prices decline is expected to continue in 4Q18, yet sales of new iPhones may influence the market situation
Going forward to the fourth quarter, suppliers may not release much new capacity, but the yield rate of 64/72-layer products is expected to grow mature, exceeding 80%. Moreover, suppliers may also add new capacity or transfer some of the current capacity to 96-layer production, which would further boost the bit output growth.

In terms of the demand, the momentum remains weak due to slow growth of notebook market, lack of specification upgrade in the smartphone market, and less replacement demand. The demand growth fails to offset the new supply, probably leading to the steeper drop in prices in Q4 compared with Q3. However, the market situation will depend on the sales of new iPhones, which may moderate the price decline.

Osaka earthquake had limited influence on Toshiba and its NAND Flash supply
A 6.1-magnitude earthquake hit Osaka on June 18, 2018. Yokkaichi, where Toshiba's NAND Flash fab locates, also had 4-magnitude tremor. DRAMeXchange learns that Toshiba underwent an inspection immediately after the earthquake, and finished checking the wafers on June 19. Only limited number of wafers were influenced and can be fabricated normally after rework, bringing almost no influence to the market. The fab has returned to full operation soon after that.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

"Meanwhile, suppliers have postponed further plans of capacity expansion, hoping to moderate the price decline."

Price fixing at the highest level.

Starting a syndicate of manufacturers with aim to stiff customers out of billions should be equal to organized crime and punished accordingly.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
How long until these bastards get that price fixing fine from China?

I hope it's a colossal amount of money, not the pitiful fine they all got last time, as it doesn't work at such a low level. This press release is enough evidence of the brass balls on this lot. They just don't care how illegal what they are doing is, or who knows it.

It's a real good thing that Earthquake hit... They were almost out of excuses. Earthquake is a little more reasonable than the FAB fire or toxic chemical spill I was expecting from them, hell, they probably will still have a fire anyway, just to be sure.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Until one NAND factory somewhere catches fire and results in some massive shortage / price hike.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
"Meanwhile, suppliers have postponed further plans of capacity expansion, hoping to moderate the price decline."

Price fixing at the highest level.

Starting a syndicate of manufacturers with aim to stiff customers out of billions should be equal to organized crime and punished accordingly.

Thats backwards logic. If you manufacture something the last thing you want to do is create so much supply that you flood the market beyond its demand. All you stand to gain is logistics problems with a lower return on investment. In the meantime you are providing product to market segments that will only get it "because its dirt cheap" not because they need it. It really benefits no one, often not even the end user and neither will it help customer satisfaction because now people EXPECT that price level, it doesnt even help brand loyalty either...

BTW I think people missed the memo here, this is about NAND not DRAM chips... Price/GB has been dropping steadily since the SSD was introduced... the article even clearly points that out on several points. Come on.

Last edited:
I get excited every time I read about QLC NAND and products. I hope by the end of the year at least one consumer SATA drive comes out at least. I can't wait to upgrade my homelab with QLC NAND drives for bulk storage. There's going to be naysayers but I'm all in.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
We need 2TB NVMe SSD drives for ~200$. Until then, the prices are still calously high.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Good news for everyone who waited before making NAND manufacturers rich. now let's see DDR4 prices going down. I mean I have seen 8GB DDR3 at less than 30 euros in the past and now 8GB of DDR4 is costing more than 65 euros? Not buying. They can keep it.

Good news for everyone who waited before making NAND manufacturers rich. now let's see DDR4 prices going down. I mean I have seen 8GB DDR3 at less than 30 euros in the past and now 8GB of DDR4 is costing more than 65 euros? Not buying. They can keep it.
I'm hoping for the same thing. I was thinking about building a new desktop but memory prices are just absurd. My 2600K is gonna chug a bit while longer it seems.

System Name Intranetusa PC
Processor i7 2600K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asrock P67 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master N520
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Video Card(s) GTX1060
Storage Samsung SSD, Samsung 1TB Spinpoint, Hitachi 2TB
Case Cooler Master Elite
Power Supply Zalman 750watt PSU
Software Windows 7
I'm hoping for the same thing. I was thinking about building a new desktop but memory prices are just absurd. My 2600K is gonna chug a bit while longer it seems.
Same here. I'm still running a sandy bridge 2600k but am waiting for lower RAM prices or Zen 2 before upgrading. I actually already bought a fractal design case because cases don't really go down in price all that much and fractal design cases are so popular that they tend to sell out before dropping in price.