• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox Architect Rob Wyatt Joins the Atari VCS Team

Atari - one of the world's most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers - today announced that game platform architecture expert Rob Wyatt and his Boulder, Colorado-based company Tin Giant, are officially joining the Atari VCS team. Wyatt, an expert in GPU Hardware and 3D graphics, has worked on everything from hardware design to graphics applications for a variety of well-known game systems and software platforms. While at Microsoft, Wyatt held roles on the development teams on DirectX and the Windows kernel before becoming the system architect of the original Xbox game console. Wyatt later contributed to the graphics systems of the PlayStation 3 before moving on to become the graphics architect at Magic Leap, an augmented reality startup. Along the way, he has also lent his expertise to many AAA video games and high-end movie special effects.

The Atari VCS is a completely new connected gaming and entertainment device slated to begin shipping in mid-2019. Atari has partnered with chipmaker AMD, who will provide the Atari VCS custom processor featuring Radeon Graphics Technology. The operating system of the Atari VCS is based on Linux, and the platform's highly-anticipated open Sandbox will allow users to create and port additional content to personalize their experience.

"We have made a commitment to Atari fans to make the VCS the very best game and home entertainment platform it can be," said Michael Arzt, Atari COO of Connected Devices. "After months of working with Rob and Tin Giant to define product requirements for the Atari VCS hardware and operating system, we are excited to finally and officially announce our partnership. Rob and his experienced team are working to squeeze every possible ounce of performance out of the Atari VCS hardware."

"Who wouldn't want to be part of bringing Atari back? From the moment the AMD team introduced me to Atari and the VCS project, I have been intrigued and inspired by the opportunity that it represents," said Rob Wyatt, CEO of Tin Giant. "The unique open platform and modern approach that Atari is taking will let users enjoy a broad range of new and existing games and other entertainment, while also delivering some unique options to customize the platform to their own tastes by combining additional software and classic content all in one place."

Retro-inspired, but not a "retro-box," the Atari VCS will deliver a fully modern gaming and entertainment experience sure to delight the more than 11,000 backers who have enthusiastically supported the Atari VCS so far during its ongoing Indiegogo Pre-Sale; currently scheduled to end on June 29, 2018. Indiegogo backers and other future Atari VCS owners can plan to have access to a wide array of games, media and streaming content options when the hardware platform ships in mid-2019. Atari plans to make several more product development updates and announcements, along with new partnerships and agreements between now and the first shipments that will include game publishers and developers, product distribution plans, non-gaming content providers and much more. In addition, Atari endeavors to provide unscheduled work-in-progress product demonstrations in the future as they become practical.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Would be a little late now to be bringing in an Architect for the platform, no? Indiegogo campaign closes today, right?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Would be a little late now to be bringing in an Architect for the platform, no? Indiegogo campaign closes today, right?
It makes sense once you factor-in the fact that this is a console/entertainment system that no one initially asked for. It only started with a concept-rendering of a pretty box, some hype and an indeterminately low $100K funding goal just to see if there are any potential nostalgia victims. By ETA July 2019 (and most likely some delays 'till fall or maybe later) people will probably forget about their wasted cash and $200-$379 backer's reward.

As if there are not enough retro games on Steam that you can play on a potato, now you'll be able to buy a shiny potato and play a way more limited set of the same games.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
It makes sense once you factor-in the fact that this is a console/entertainment system that no one initially asked for. It only started with a concept-rendering of a pretty box, some hype and an indeterminately low $100K funding goal just to see if there are any potential nostalgia victims. By ETA July 2019 (and most likely some delays 'till fall or maybe later) people will probably forget about their wasted cash and $200-$379 backer's reward.

If only someone would create a all in one media, work, gaming, and web device....... like a computer.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
I suspect that this Atari venture is swinging for the bleachers, will be interesting to see what finally shakes out.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
My god this Atari VCS is so annoyingly obviously dated and silly its nearly offensive. How many gullible idiots will fall for it... probably quite a few.

Its software kiddos. Get with the times. You can code anything on any platform these days.

Its not even two steps forward, its just stepping back with a promise of fools and money being parted... "architects".., you can emulate this junk on any device. Its 2018 not 1988

Why? They're only in the prototype stage. Bringing in a well seasoned design team member will only help make the process better, potentially.

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
I don't mind another console on the market but they're gonna need some serious money to lure developer into building for their platform while at the same time making their own exclusive, otherwise they're gonna have a bad time just ask Sega for that

My god this Atari VCS is so annoyingly obviously dated and silly its nearly offensive. How many gullible idiots will fall for it... probably quite a few.
There are times when you are spot on and then there are times like this were you fail to grasp the concept of than idea. The "gullible idiots" who pay for the VCS are no more or less idiotic than the people who spend $500-$1000 to upgrade their video card every generation, except that the VCS folks will likely get more value for their money.
Its not even two steps forward, its just stepping back with a promise of fools and money being parted...
That is an opinion based on a limited perspective. You may not find value in this project, but then again, you are not the target audience and that's ok.

So why whine and drone on about something that doesn't appeal to you in the first place?

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
There are times when you are spot on and then there are times like this were you fail to grasp the concept of than idea. The "gullible idiots" who pay for the VCS are no more or less idiotic than the people who spend $500-$1000 to upgrade their video card every generation, except that the VCS folks will likely get more value for their money.

That is an opinion based on a limited perspective. You may not find value in this project, but then again, you are not the target audience and that's ok.

So why whine and drone on about something that doesn't appeal to you in the first place?

I get the concept very well, and it is not a concept that brings anything interesting in terms of technology. Its not special but its sold as such.

Its like a pair of trousers marketed with a brand name that appeals to nostalgia and some misplaced idea of quality, when you can buy those same trousers everywhere else at a quarter of the price.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
Hey, somebody get in touch with this guy and ask him for the knowledge on how to crack (original) Xbox emulation for the PC, if anyone would know, he would.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Considering that Atari's COO is a clueless moron, I'm pretty sure the VCS is entirely vapourware. They probably just brought Wyatt on board to make the project look legit, so that more people will donate to their scam in the inevitable next round of fundraising.

I don't have a problem with fools being parted from their money, though, so all power to Atari and Wyatt.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Atari lost its meaning decades ago. The only brand revival that's promising lately is the new Aiwa.

The only association people have with Atari these days is the thought of bushnell his association with chuck-e-cheese and his shady ways with it all. Even pizzagate stuff is linked to his name now. Atari is a damaged brand and shouldn't be revived.

D

Deleted member 67555

The 2 consoles this guy worked on are considered "Lessons Learned" consoles for each company.... Hopefully the lesson learned here is Fuck this guy and not shelve the Atari name forever.

I get the concept very well, and it is not a concept that brings anything interesting in terms of technology.
In this current technological climate, hardware far out matches what we can do with it as a general rule. So the hardware doesn't need to be anything "special" to provide a compelling product. Just look at the NES and SNES Mini's. Paltry specs and yet those little systems provide a great level of WOW factor.
Its not special but its sold as such.
Just because you don't see what might potentially make is "special", doesn't mean it can't and won't exist. You are jumping to a conclusion that you have no rational to support, especially given the fact the the exact specs are not set in stone.
Its like a pair of trousers marketed with a brand name that appeals to nostalgia and some misplaced idea of quality, when you can buy those same trousers everywhere else at a quarter of the price.
Except that with the VCS, the software included will be anything and everything Atari has rights and access to, which is a huge and impressive library. That's not to mention the new stuff they are now working on.
Atari these days is the thought of bushnell his association with chuck-e-cheese and his shady ways with it all.
I hadn't thought of that in years. It was 35 years ago and Atari isn't even run by the same people anymore. Are you going to hold the current incarnation of Atari and it's staff responsible for something they had zero control over 35 years ago? Let it go.

As I've said previously, not a huge fan of Atari. However I believe in giving credit where it's due and Atari is taking careful steps, the right way. If they keep going in the direction they are, they will have a hit on their hands, or at the very least a success they can build on.

I say bring it on Atari, and lets see your best.

Last edited:
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Thing is the Atari name has been damaged so badly that it's time to retire it. Just like how the sonic franchise needs to die off, specially after the infamous 360 title. Sonic needs to retire to the nursing home .. Lol.

To me this sounds also as bad as the ghost busters remake. God it was terrible!!

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
In this current technological climate, hardware far out matches what we can do with it as a general rule. So the hardware doesn't need to be anything "special" to provide a compelling product. Just look at the NES and SNES Mini's. Paltry specs and yet those little systems provide a great level of WOW factor.

Just because you don't see what might potentially make is "special", doesn't mean it can't and won't exist. You are jumping to a conclusion that you have no rational to support, especially given the fact the the exact specs are not set in stone.

Except that with the VCS, the software included will be anything and everything Atari has rights and access to, which is a huge and impressive library. That's not to mention the new stuff they are now working on.

I hadn't thought of that in years. It was 35 years ago and Atari isn't even run by the same people anymore. Are you going to hold the current incarnation of Atari and it's staff responsible for something they had zero control over 35 years ago? Let it go.

As I've said previously, not a huge fan of Atari. However I believe in giving credit where it's due and Atari is taking careful steps, the right way. If they keep going in the direction they are, they will have a hit on their hands, or at the very least a success they can build on.

I say bring it on Atari, and lets see your best.

Hey its fine if you think this'll be worthwhile, Im just saying its a DOA. Time will tell

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
To me this sounds also as bad as the ghost busters remake. God it was terrible!!
Nothing personal, but feminazi ideas usually are. Who would have thunk it, a female starring cast to appease the few.

Hey its fine if you think this'll potentially be worthwhile, Im just saying its a DOA. Time will tell
Fixed that for you. And given the fact that it was fully funded just a few hours of going live, it would seem your pessimism is not shared by all.
Couldn't agree more about the Ghostbusters remake thing.

Last edited: