• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Prices of First-gen AMD Threadrippers Drop Like a Rock

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
That's about what I was getting at - These chips aren't that far apart in what they can do.
The thing is AMD is pricing these cheap enough they'd be hard to ignore when you figure up the costs of a project like I used as examples above. AMD is looking to expand it's footprint in the server market which means big $$'s for them.

Intel will counter with something in time but with all the problems they're having ATM could be too little, too late to stop the TR train from leaving the station headed for big project stops ahead and that means AMD will snap up shares of the market.
After that it's a game of holding onto these shares and if Intel can't right the ship it's not gonna go so well for them - Certainly won't be reclaiming too much of a stake in it.

That's actually not true... When I bench the 7820x @ 4.9ghz it generally edges out single core scores of CFL at the same speed and sometimes 100Mhz faster (cinebench, cpu-z, superpi, aida etc). In games and latency tests the ringbus will always win and like you said in AVX / FPU of any kind (512 or otherwise) SKX is an absolute monster.

I do agree with you about the 32 core TR though, nothing can touch that.
I'm not disagreeing with you per se but I don't see CFL in here?

The thing is SKL-X is probably better across the board in AVX tasks, as compared to CFL, however pretty much everywhere else CFL is ahead, even if only marginally.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Maybe they match in Cinebench and a few encryption workloads but most of the time SK-x has better IPC. Granted not by much and zen 2 will most likely spank sk-x into next week.

View attachment 103269

I have an r7 1700 for work and a 7820x at home, they're definitely not in the same class even at the same speed.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1457-ryzen-7-vs-core-i7-octa-core/page3.html

Blender doesn't seem to use any intercore communication, which is why it works so great on ryzen (and AMD always demos it). Gaming takes a pretty noticeable on hit on both for that reason.

I don't care for Steve much, but here ya go.

It's pretty clear what's going on.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Blender doesn't seem to use any intercore communication, which is why it works so great on ryzen (and AMD always demos it). Gaming takes a pretty noticeable on hit on both for that reason.

I don't care for Steve much, but here ya go.

It's pretty clear what's going on.

Good video, thanks for that.

As far as gaming goes for SK-x/Ryzen if you tweak the mesh/ use good ram for Ryzen (tweak trfc, timings, gear down etc.) and it will get pretty damn close. I feel like he doesn't really spend enough time with these platforms.

1530257512589.png

@4ghz locked

1530257439986.png

His

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Good video, thanks for that.

As far as gaming goes for SK-x/Ryzen if you tweak the mesh/ use good ram for Ryzen (tweak trfc, timings, gear down etc.) and it will get pretty damn close. I feel like he doesn't really spend enough time with these platforms.

Yeah, but I think it's more of real world use. People definitely will slap some 3200 into ryzen, but how many are tweaking subtimings and mesh?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
This is easy:

x = $629.99 / 1950

x ~=$0.323

But cannot tell whether this is really good value for x or not ...

1800x was 500 at launch and still wasn't a bad value at the time (just not amazing like 1700). The math is easy. 1700 was ~200 recently (and 1800x was 240, iirc), so if you're waiting on rock bottom pricing, there's still some room for it to drop another 1-150, stock allowing.

I gave up as I wanted better OC, so I'm waiting for TR3. I have high hopes for Zen 2. TSMC better not screw me.

This is easy:

x = $629.99 / 1950

x ~=$0.323

As compared to the 1700 nope, otherwise when you look at the complete platform (64 PCIe lanes & quad channel mem) it's a steal.
Of course 16 cores isn't for everyone but someone doing genome sequencing(?) could stock all these chips before they go out of stock, with the impending launch of TR2 :pimp:

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
This is easy:

x = $629.99 / 1950

x ~=$0.323

:roll::roll::roll:
Not sure every one gets it.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Intel made records in profit recently despite Ryzen and Epyc. They'll do fine with or without your worries.

most intel money come from OEM aka Lenovo DELL etc,, after intel play dirty pay OEM to not use AMD when AMD clearly has better product than crap Pentium 4,, now after 1 years Ryzen, Oem ready to take Ryzen lineup,,

Robin2win14

Clearly, Intel has a superior product line, and has no need to drastically drop prices. Just as obviously, AMD is having much trouble selling TR, and has dropped the price of their flagship CPU 4 times (so far). Intel just doesn't seem to be worried, despite the yellow journalism tactics employed by misguided editors. Strange how people spin the facts to fit their preconceived notions, as if that will magically make TR a success. Threadripper is a niche product, with very little appeal for most PC users. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CF7CmG/amd-threadripper-1950x-34ghz-16-core-processor-yd195xa8aewof
@btarunr - I can't help but notice that your personal rig is running an Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU. Where's all the love for AMD? I guess you voted with your wallet. Is it any wonder AMD is losing sales to Intel, when even AMD fans won't buy their hardware, despite all their rabid posts to the contrary?
Clearly, you got your facts wrong. Going by your logic, if TR is a niche product, so too must all Intel high core CPUs be nice products. Since the introduction of ZEN, the CPUs have been selling like hot cakes, stealing market share from Intel like crazy. Don't believe me? Google is your friend! The only advantage Intel has over the Ryzen chips, is stronger single core performance. Which is cool for gamers, obviously. But it is not just gamers who buy PC parts! Also, I hope you see the irony when you say that people spin the facts to fit their preconceived notions.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I am amazed people still debate the usefulness of these CPU , which now feature dozens of cores, for gaming in this day and age.

Clearly, you got your facts wrong. Going by your logic, if TR is a niche product, so too must all Intel high core CPUs be nice products. Since the introduction of ZEN, the CPUs have been selling like hot cakes, stealing market share from Intel like crazy. Don't believe me? Google is your friend! The only advantage Intel has over the Ryzen chips, is stronger single core performance. Which is cool for gamers, obviously. But it is not just gamers who buy PC parts! Also, I hope you see the irony when you say that people spin the facts to fit their preconceived notions.
Tbf Intel was gonna release a 5GHz 28 core (probably 300W TDP & consuming 1KW of power at full load) monster before the end of this year, or am I imagining things o_O

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I agree that Intel's HEDT CPUs make even less sense for most gamers and casual users. Nobody needs all those cores to make posts, web surf, watch videos, or even high-end games, which is maybe 90% of what I do. My quad core i7 is overkill for most of what I do. So my perspective is probably different from most people. I know a lot of people on this site have more use for the high core counts, at work or for video rendering etc. at home, but I think a lot of us hardware geeks just love the idea of having that much speed and power. I can't really afford the expensive parts anymore, may end up with Ryzen myself when this Intel system craps out. So don't take my posts personally, I just feel like I have to stick up for the underdog, which seems to be Intel these days. When I read posts from Intel-haters, I just get reactive. I guess I'm ornery that way sometimes.

Defending either company regardless of its position in the market makes no sense at all. Look back at AMD the past ten years. Has their fanbase achieved even the slightest dent in terms of stealing Intel market share? Nope. Perhaps they even achieved more pronounced losses for AMD by overhyping things every single time.

Its very simple: people buy the product they want and only a strong product from a competitor will make them switch. And most consumers are very sensitive to price but when it comes to reliability and comfort... those can weigh in just as heavily. Despite hundreds of fans saying otherwise. Facts and benches and measurements dont lie and that is what informed customers go on.

The best approach IMO is an objective analysis of data and getting as much data as possible at that. Only that really is useful and informative and only that will prevent people from acting and looking like fools. Viewing yourself as someone battling for anything in name of a brand belongs to children... Adults fight for ideals and the hardware business is hardly one where that has a place.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Defending either company regardless of its position in the market makes no sense at all. Look back at AMD the past ten years. Has their fanbase achieved even the slightest dent in terms of stealing Intel market share? Nope. Perhaps they even achieved more pronounced losses for AMD by overhyping things every single time.

Its very simple: people buy the product they want and only a strong product from a competitor will make them switch. And most consumers are very sensitive to price but when it comes to reliability and comfort... those can weigh in just as heavily. Despite hundreds of fans saying otherwise. Facts and benches and measurements dont lie and that is what informed customers go on.

The best approach IMO is an objective analysis of data and getting as much data as possible at that. Only that really is useful and informative and only that will prevent people from acting and looking like fools. Viewing yourself as someone battling for anything in name of a brand belongs to children... Adults fight for ideals and the hardware business is hardly one where that has a place.

You would be shocked to have seen how many times a decision of what to get was purely based on cost alone, all other factors literally tossed aside.
As long as it would work and was the cheapest it was "The Choice".
Yes, the place I used to work for was like that and they didn't care about features or anything else except if it would do the job and whether it vs something else was the cheapest.

I will admit many times this kind of decision making led to a good deal of problems.
Here's how it always went - The one(s) that said to do it that way would then lay dealing with the problem(s) from their choice on everyone else beneath them and you know what that was about.

If you coudn't make it work you were in deep sh!t...... Nevermind you had no say about what was chosen because your job wasn't to buy, just to deal with it.

This was with everything from IT work, electrical, building maintenance, fire safety and more to what was used to pickup paper and trash from the parking lot.
It's no wonder to me why we had so many department heads either roll or just walk.

Do understand folks like us that actually know and care would make smarter decisions even if it cost a little more up front. These guys coudn't see beyond the end of their pocketbook that in most cases cheaper now was more expensive later..... And of course no one could tell them differently.

However even though AMD as the example within this thread is cheaper, it's not something you'd have to worry about getting the job done because it will.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
You would be shocked to have seen how many times a decision of what to get was purely based on cost alone, all other factors literally tossed aside.
As long as it would work and was the cheapest it was "The Choice".
Yes, the place I used to work for was like that and they didn't care about features or anything else except if it would do the job and whether it vs something else was the cheapest.

I will admit many times this kind of decision making led to a good deal of problems.
Here's how it always went - The one(s) that said to do it that way would then lay dealing with the problem(s) from their choice on everyone else beneath them and you know what that was about.

If you coudn't make it work you were in deep sh!t...... Nevermind you had no say about what was chosen because your job wasn't to buy, just to deal with it.

This was with everything from IT work, electrical, building maintenance, fire safety and more to what was used to pickup paper and trash from the parking lot.
It's no wonder to me why we had so many department heads either roll or just walk.

Do understand folks like us that actually know and care would make smarter decisions even if it cost a little more up front. These guys coudn't see beyond the end of their pocketbook that in most cases cheaper now was more expensive later..... And of course no one could tell them differently.

However even though AMD as the example within this thread is cheaper, it's not something you'd have to worry about getting the job done because it will.

Hey, I work for one of those places! They have billions and end up spending double, b/c all of the cheap crap and contractors just fails after a couple years. Then they complain about maintenance costs instead of spending 20% more to do everything right. BUT, they have granite counter tops and oak floors!!!!!!!!1!1!11!1

Toranova

Clearly, Intel has a superior product line, and has no need to drastically drop prices. Just as obviously, AMD is having much trouble selling TR, and has dropped the price of their flagship CPU 4 times (so far). Intel just doesn't seem to be worried, despite the yellow journalism tactics employed by misguided editors. Strange how people spin the facts to fit their preconceived notions, as if that will magically make TR a success. Threadripper is a niche product, with very little appeal for most PC users. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CF7CmG/amd-threadripper-1950x-34ghz-16-core-processor-yd195xa8aewof
@btarunr - I can't help but notice that your personal rig is running an Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU. Where's all the love for AMD? I guess you voted with your wallet. Is it any wonder AMD is losing sales to Intel, when even AMD fans won't buy their hardware, despite all their rabid posts to the contrary?

Sorry mate, I usually don't like calling people out, you're probably a nice enough person however you're talking absolute shit. You have done zero research and are basing these on your own view of the world, not on facts. A quick google will reveal that AMD's CPU and GPU share of the market has grown in recent years. It is not losing sales to Intel, it is taking them.

Literally the first google article after googling 'Current AMD CPU share growth' proves you wrong. Link for a source as I like to back up my argument with facts instead of sprouting either unresearched or uneducated crap. I'm guessing it's probably you just didn't do your research as you don't come across as uneducated.

I personally use Intel at the current time, however, pretending that AMD isn't going well is simply you being biased and not knowing your facts.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Hey, I work for one of those places! They have billions and end up spending double, b/c all of the cheap crap and contractors just fails after a couple years. Then they complain about maintenance costs instead of spending 20% more to do everything right. BUT, they have granite counter tops and oak floors!!!!!!!!1!1!11!1

Probrably in their personal office and the boardroom - All the rest is crap.
That's how it was for us.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Probrably in their personal office and the boardroom - All the rest is crap.
That's how it was for us.

Apts for idiot students that will trash them half the time. High quality laminate flooring and engineered stone tops would be best and save a lot of money. But they want to be able to advertise as having the most high end apts.

The higher ups believe themselves to be so untouchable that one would casually browse his pedo forum at work...until he was arrested. Oops, too much info, you can figure it out lol.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
If the price is dropping like a rock, perhaps someone should tell the retailers in my country, the price is barely moving.

I am amazed people still debate the usefulness of these CPU , which now feature dozens of cores, for gaming in this day and age.

Gotta agree. Devs aim game code at current & maybe future gen of console architecture. PS5 is rumored to be based on Ryzen core goodness. But how many for PS5? is anyone's guess atm.

Gotta agree. Devs aim game code at current & maybe future gen of console architecture. PS5 is rumored to be based on Ryzen core goodness. But how many for PS5? is anyone's guess atm.
I'm assuming cores, right? If the next console chip is gonna be made on 7nm, GF or TSMC, then it'll feature at least 8 (ryzen) cores with the option of 12/16 cores open, depending on how they make it i.e. single APU type or MCM ala KBL-G.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Edit: Misread the title, thought we were talking about different chips.

Well they will definitely fill up for the users who need those cores for rendering, virtualizing, and such. More cores is going to revolutionize these types of workloads in the coming years!

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
This is AMD's best way to get their processors back in servers. More cores for a cheaper price will mean data centers who are virtualizing everything will buy up machines with these chips.
Actually, AMD's way back into servers is Epyc, not Threadripper. Threadripper is AMD's answer to Intel's HEDT.