• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Be Quiet! Announces Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 Case

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Be Quiet!, the market leader in PC power supplies in Germany for twelve consecutive years, announces Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2. This updated PC chassis implements significant upgrades, emphasizing its pole position in the modular and silent full tower case segment. With the release of Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 and its introduction of new and innovative features, be quiet! successfully demonstrates how forward-thinking and listening to customer and industry feedback improves overall end-user experience.

Like the original case, Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 leaves nothing to be desired due to its modular design, enabling numerous options for optimal component placement. The removable motherboard tray is installable in six different positions, accommodating all types of motherboard form factors, up to E-ATX or XL-ATX. Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 offers unbeatable flexibility and compatibility, providing a perfect enclosure for enthusiast-level configurations, water cooling and overclocking builds, whisper-silent systems and higher-end workstations. For storage components, the case offers abundant mounting space, supporting the installation of up to 14 solid state drives, seven HDDs, and two optical drives. Invertible along with the motherboard tray, one new feature is the highly requested PSU shroud used to hide cables and drives. The power supply cover also offers additional mounting options for an SSD and 120 mm fan. Unused drive slots are now equipped with partially or fully removable HDD slot covers, covering unused mounting holes for a clean interior and perfect cable management.

Efficient cooling ensures extremely quiet operation
Another Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 highlight is its set of three pre-installed Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM fans, contributing to the flagship case's sophisticated cooling concept and perfect airflow. With a unique rotor blade design, rubberized frame and funnel-shaped air intakes, these fans work silently and efficiently. At the same time, the 6-pole motor and advanced fluid dynamic bearing (FDB) reduce power consumption and vibration. The revised case's pre-installed fans' maximum rotations per minute were increased from 1,000 to 1,600 RPM, striking a balance between silence and performance.

Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2's comprehensive airflow design is complemented by L-shaped vents in the case, providing additional noise reduction. The new chassis also comes reinforced with insulating foam mats at the front, top and side and uses specific decoupling mechanisms for key components. Additionally, the case includes a stepless fan controller, now supporting a total of eight PWM fans, as well as providing two configurable cooling zones using silence and performance modes. Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 also provides ample interior space, making the chassis suitable for powerful multi-radiator-using water cooling solutions.

Showpiece of German engineering
Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 is a technical masterpiece, standing out amongst its competition due to its high-quality materials and design. Smooth aluminum surfaces and a robust steel construction lead to extraordinary elegance and stability. Additionally, be quiet!'s high-end premium chassis is equipped with a decoupled tempered tinted glass side window, now painted black at its top and bottom, perfectly hiding screw holes underneath.

Expandable LED strips running at 12 volts are included, illuminating the interior with different colors, easily synchronizing with popular RGB controller ecosystems and components. An inductive charging station is placed on the case's top area for wireless charging of smartphones and other Qi-compatible devices. Also, the previous model's two front panel USB 2.0 connectors are replaced with a USB 3.1 Gen. 2 Type C connector and a quick charging option, while the case is offered in variants featuring orange or silver highlights, as well as an all-black version.

Upgrades for current users
For owners of the original Dark Base Pro 900, the new PSU shroud, windowed side panel, HDD slot covers, and additional HDD cages are separately available through retail channels along with the launch of Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2.

Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2 is available immediately at a recommended retail price of €269 / £259 / $269.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

D

Deleted member 178884

Shame my dark base 700 has it's led stuck on white - Can't be assed to fix / RMA it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
This looks like some nice improvements to an already great case.

I do wish they could extend the front intake area by about 30% or so, and the case would be nearly perfect.

D

Deleted member 178884

I do wish they could extend the front intake area by about 30% or so, and the case would be nearly perfect.
Mesh version would be much better - front intake kinda sucks without front panel off.

Yep i kinda hate that they don't choose one and stick with it. You can't have both a silent and a high airflow case in one. Since they already have Silent Base series i would like they repurpose Dark Base to high airflow instead and completely get rid of the 90 degree airflow turns and sound dampening mats. Rest of the sound dampening materies can stay in place as they do not effect airflow but the mats need to go.

More mesh would be nice. I also wonder if they will intrioduce a limited edition white version like last time (quantity was 2000 only). Or perhaps even more limited version of red, green and blue versions (maybe like 100-500 units).

It is not a perfect case by any means. There are no actual reviews yet as far as i know but from Computex coverage i've see the main negatives seem to be that the PSU shroud top plate may not fit in place if you attach a really thick USB 3.0 front panel cable to the bottom edge of the motherboard for example. Also very limited airflow at the top.

So nothing major. Personally i would love to see a cheaper non-pro version without the window, no fan controller, no fans included and no rgb strips. Also no Qi charger plate. I would imagine this would lower the price from 269€ MSRP to something like 150€ MSRP making it much more accessible.

Then again at this (RGB) day and age im not suprised if it's not happening.
Thankfully due to modularity of this case you can mount the back panel in front (it has a slot for 120mm fan and dust filter included) and put the glass at the back where you can't see it if it's agains the wall in a non-reversed layout (i.e on your right side). You know those who don't care about windows and RGB...

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Mesh version would be much better - front intake kinda sucks without front panel off.
There are a few cases with a plain mesh, and they usually have great airflow, but may be too noisy. It annoys me that buyers have to choose between high airflow and low airflow, why aren't there more cases with medium airflow?

If you are familiar with how the airflow from a fan looks, you'd know most of the actual airflow is concentrated in less than 1/3 of the area, so in theory it should be possible to make a good compromise with airflow and noise dampening.

The saving grace for the Dark Base 900 is the possibility of four intake fans; three in the front and one in the bottom (the shroud needs to go). Crank the fan speed a little up and the airflow should be sufficient for a HEDT CPU and a high-end GPU, no OC of course. As I mentioned, this case could use some larger intake area to give it some more headroom, and it would be nearly perfect. By that I mean nearly perfect for what it's trying to achieve; a high-end silent case, not a high-airflow case.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Or you could use the rear as an intake due to the inverted motherboard position and the rest as exhaust, problem solved, the top exhaust should be all that is required, the front wouldn't even need fans.

Processor R9 5900X
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master
Cooling MO-RA3 420 LT | 4x NF-A20
Memory F4-3600C16D-32GTZN @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 TUF
Storage 2x 1TB SN750 | 1x 2TB SN850X
Display(s) AW3423DW | S2721DGFA
Case Enthoo 719
Audio Device(s) AE-5 | DT1990 Pro | Rode NT-USB
Power Supply SP 11 Pt 750W
Mouse G502 X Plus
Keyboard Ducky Shine 7
Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2's comprehensive airflow design is complemented by L-shaped vents in the case, providing additional noise reduction.

Noise reduction my ass. By removing them and therefore drastically improving airflow, I not only had better temps but at the same time less noise.

A little bit of CNC fixed it:
IMG_20180328_125538.jpg IMG_20180328_125559.jpg

Last edited:
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Or you could use the rear as an intake due to the inverted motherboard position and the rest as exhaust, problem solved, the top exhaust should be all that is required, the front wouldn't even need fans.
Really? One fan as intake? This will not work well in practice.

Processor R9 5900X
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master
Cooling MO-RA3 420 LT | 4x NF-A20
Memory F4-3600C16D-32GTZN @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 TUF
Storage 2x 1TB SN750 | 1x 2TB SN850X
Display(s) AW3423DW | S2721DGFA
Case Enthoo 719
Audio Device(s) AE-5 | DT1990 Pro | Rode NT-USB
Power Supply SP 11 Pt 750W
Mouse G502 X Plus
Keyboard Ducky Shine 7
I sent my front panel (only the aluminum sheet) to a company that offers a CNC service for the Enthoo Evolv. Including shipping it cost me about 50€.
https://www.gosumodz.com/EVOLV-ATX-CNC-Service (based in Hamburg, Germany)
Maybe you can find a similar service in your area.

Cutting of the plastic frame of the door took me about 2 hours of dremeling and filing.

Top panel without those dumb L-shaped air restrictors:
IMG_20171218_022345.jpg IMG_20171218_022314.jpg

Fun fact: With those airflow mods my system runs quieter than without. Water temps dropped by a solid 10° with the fans now spinning at 600rpm instead of 800rpm.

System Name ROG by KMB
Processor Intel i7-8086K
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Code
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory HyperX Savage DDR4, 16GB (2x8GB), 2800MHz, CL14
Video Card(s) RTX2080Ti (Asus ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING)
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + WD RED 1TB (WD10EFRX)
Display(s) ASUS PG348Q
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT + Edifier S350DB
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Logitech G903 + Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark TimeSpy: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/7170266 PortRoyal: https://www.3dmark.com/pr/91778
Thats CNC cut is great. Is anyone who ale made such mod? How to dissasembly the front door panel?