• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking Outside the DRM: Denuvo Sues Founder of Piracy Group "REVOLT"

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
What do you do when your main product keeps being bypassed in the eternal cat and mouse game of DRM versus piracy groups? If you're with Denuvo, you think "outside the box" and look for slightly different ways to eliminate the competition, such as actual legal action.

Following this legal action and a collaboration with Bulgaria's police, the justice system has managed to identify Aka Voksi as the founder of scene group "Revolt", seizing his personal computer - events that resulted in Voksi stating he would be dropping all piracy-related activities immediately and for the future (a wise move considering the circumstances). Reddit and piracy-focused websites have already begun fundraising efforts to prepare for Voksi's defense.

A statement from Denuvo's parent company Irdeto follows:
"A 21-year-old Bulgarian man. Aka Voksi, from Dimitrovgrad, Bulgaria. Allegedly responsible for the hacking of a number of games carrying Denuvo's Anti-Tamper software. Has been arrested following a collaboration between Irdeto and the Bulgarian Cybercrime Unit. Following an initial investigation by Irdeto into the hacking of Denuvo Anti-Tamper software. The findings were passed to the Bulgarian Cybercrime Unit. And resulted in the raid on a premises in Dimitrovgrad, Bulgaria on Tuesday. During the raid, computers and other items suspected to have been used in the piracy of a range of titles were seized by police."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Or just admit that Denuvo is useless garbage like every single other protection and game developers should start treating gamers as customers and not as thieves by default. I don't support piracy, but garbage DRM is getting on my nerves for 2 decades and it gave me absolutely nothing but trouble. Especially when new OS versions come out and their drivers crap out. It's why none of SafeDisc/SecuROM protected games work on new OS (Win9x -> WinXP or WinXP -> Vista etc). It's not because games are incompatible, it's because DRM attached to it is incompatible and no one ever updates a damn thing later. So, Denuvo, buzz off. We don't want you around.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
They should have hired him. Waste...

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
That's rich , I mean if they have the legal ground whatever go ahead but it's pathetic regardless. They pretty much admitted that their software will never be up to scratch and are searching for other ways to remain relevant.

That's like a company manufacturing anti bullet vests would sue a firearms manufacturer for making powerful enough guns that render their products useless.

Last edited:
It's rather interesting that hackers, & crackers, get jail time for things which could be considered hobby or educational at their age. On the other hand, lifetime criminals legislate laws for the vast majority of us :rolleyes:
A 21-year-old Bulgarian man. Aka Voksi, from Dimitrovgrad, Bulgaria. Allegedly responsible for the hacking of a number of games carrying Denuvo's Anti-Tamper software.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
That's rich , I mean if they have the legal ground whatever go ahead but it's pathetic regardless. They pretty much admitted that their software will never be up to scratch and are searching for other ways to remain relevant.

That's like a company manufacturing anti bullet vests would sue a firearms manufacturer for making powerful enough guns that render their products useless.

Well said.

Denuvo and its partners aren't going to get a single penny from me. No matter how good the actual game is if it is bundled with Denuvo, I'll gladly skip it.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
If someone creates code to give access to a product without paying for it, it's kind of obvious what could happen. Whether you support Denuvo or not, it's theft.
As for games being expensive, yes, they are. But a lot cost a huge amount to make, therefore, driving up costs.
Just look at cinema/theatre costs. It's all the same.

No easy answers, but we have a saviour. They're called CDPR.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
If someone creates code to give access to a product without paying for it, it's kind of obvious what could happen. Whether you support Denuvo or not, it's theft.

What you are describing is distribution of copyrighted material. This though isn't that , I mean here's the quote from the article :

"Allegedly responsible for the hacking of a number of games carrying Denuvo's Anti-Tamper software."

Nothing in that infers distribution of copyrighted material , whatever they did and it was illegal fine but that doesn't sound like it. I am really curious what the actual charges are.

"Aka Voksi" is not a name, guys. The oridnal Irdeto post reads: "A 21-year-old Bulgarian man, aka Voksi, from Dimitrovgrad, Bulgaria", which the Eteknix team misquoted as "Aka Voksi" and one could misinterpret if simply glancing over their article. Without dots to seaparate the "also known as" abbreviation or quotation marks to emphasize that Voksi is a pseudonym, rather than a personal name, the Irdeto post is also potentially misleading.

Just sayin', guys, don't expect to run into anyone named "Aka Voksi" around this part of Europe - this is not the kind of name one would usually have around here. I would know, for I too hail from the glorious absurdity that is Bulgaria :)

Edit: Local news have got no coverage on this. Either someone's keeping a lid on it or nobody cares.

Last edited:
How about we incarcerate ALL THE Voksi(s) and Snowden(s) in the world and let ALL THE facebook(s) and ubisoft(s) FUCK us all night long...

The thing that makes me laugth, here in france, is that we have "right for private copy" (so we could copy anything for backup purpose or personnal use, and it's in the law) and due to this, every anti copy system is outlaw, BUT cracking a software to bring back this right is recognized as intellectual property infringment, so it's still punished by law.

So legaly we can copy, denuvo is outlaw, but we become too if we crack a thing that blocks our private copy right Oo

Last edited:
I hope someone nukes Denuvo.

Yes, I have a grudge even against their employees, like programmers and other staff because DRM is the worst thing in the programming industry you could be part of.

You could as well work for the mafia.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Voski should walk because he reverse engineered their software which, in most countries, is not illegal (it's actually encouraged to spur competition). The only statute he broke is circumventing DRM but any fair court would consider the first trumps the last. Denuvo holds all of the cards though: they'll make sure the case is heard in a court that is pro-DRM so Voski doesn't stand a chance.

I wish Voski was in the USA because that's where the DRM streak started (even TPP practically had DMCA apply to all of the signatories). SCOTUS really needs a strong case against DRM to come before it: specifically, law should not burden the government with policing software in the name of corporate interests.

Denuvo will probably hire Voski as part of a plea deal.

Last edited:
System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
I'm puzzled though: Denuvo is a piece of software, so how exactly it is related to theft on the high seas?

Voski should walk because he reverse engineered their software which, in most countries, is not illegal (it's actually encouraged to spur competition). The only statute he broke is circumventing DRM but any fair court would consider the first trumps the last. Denuvo holds all of the cards though: they'll make sure the case is heard in a court that is pro-DRM so Voski doesn't stand a chance.

I wish Voski was in the USA because that's where the DRM streak started (even TPP practically had DMCA apply to all of the signatories). SCOTUS really needs a strong case against DRM to come before it: specifically, law should not burden the government with policing software in the name of corporate interests.

Denuvo will probably hire Voski as part of a plea deal.
I couldn't agree more. It'd be nice to see companies have to accept when their products fail instead of pushing the blame onto something else and wasting court time to do it.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
What you are describing is distribution of copyrighted material. This though isn't that , I mean here's the quote from the article :

"Allegedly responsible for the hacking of a number of games carrying Denuvo's Anti-Tamper software."

Nothing in that infers distribution of copyrighted material , whatever they did and it was illegal fine but that doesn't sound like it. I am really curious what the actual charges are.

I hear you. In many countries though, there are laws that can be used ambiguously, covered by 'consipracy to commit...'

I know some people hack 'for fun', unfortunately, that fun often can cost somebody, something. Therefore, the law gets involved.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
rule one of software cracking, you don't talk about software cracking
shame volski broke that rule now denublow wins and everybody is up shi!~creek

wooooaaah there buddy full stop

Nope and Nope again that is not theft that is not even close to the definition of theft. its not even the legal definition of theft

that very line of reasoning is what gets people heated over this subject its wholly wrong both legally and from a practical perspective

I am not up on bulgarian law but at best they have a breach of EULA here I don't know if bulgaria has a CFAB equivalent but I doubt it

they might be-able to charge him with contrib copyright infringement for distring cracked execs but that has no relation to to denuvos case, the reversing of there software

They'll never learn. I mean, the only companies that use DRM are those who release bad games and want to maximize the profit on the first 2 weeks of the release to be sure they have full cash before a crack goes out.

Every game I've downloaded in the past, I've bought them if I loved them. Hellblade for example, I wouldn't have paid full price for a game from an unknown company. After my walkthrough, I bought it full price just to give my love to this masterpiece.

I'm now buying my games mostly from GOG to encourage DRM-Free and Indie studio.

Piracy is even better to keep relics of the past alive and available for everyone to enjoy (ROMS for example). The type of relics that you can't even buy anymore because of whatever reason. Just like Goldeneye; they were supposed to release a full remaster of the game on xbox 360 and they couldn't because James Bond is licensed by Ubisoft (and I'm not talking about that remake made by ubisoft that was *meh*. It's a part of our culture and history and they want to remove that from us simply because they can't get a grip on the little cash it can give to them when they did millions already on those games. It's not like they're selling those ROMS (except on ebay lol) or those pirated games. Those SHOULD get punished by the law.

I can understand, it's their creation, they have the last word.

DRM is like sand...
"I don't like the sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating... not like you *DRM-Free games*. You're soft and smooth"

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
how to destroy game companies that uses a useless anti-tampering software that thinks it's still relevant in the digital world?? Support CDPR for their DRM-free releases.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
And why publisher won't go to jail for making this anti-consumer practices. they making a product who sometimes won't work. every product needs to be tested before you buy. we live in an open free world where governments, banks, and people are brainwashed.

Reactions: hat

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
rule one of software cracking, you don't talk about software cracking
shame volski broke that rule now denublow wins and everybody is up shi!~creek

wooooaaah there buddy full stop

Nope and Nope again that is not theft that is not even close to the definition of theft. its not even the legal definition of theft

that very line of reasoning is what gets people heated over this subject its wholly wrong both legally and from a practical perspective

I am not up on bulgarian law but at best they have a breach of EULA here I don't know if bulgaria has a CFAB equivalent but I doubt it

they might be-able to charge him with contrib copyright infringement for distring cracked execs but that has no relation to to denuvos case, the reversing of there software

I stated in my post there are laws that use 'conspiracy to...'
We have a law in Scotland called 'Breach of the Peace' which can be interpreted to arrest people for various reasons. Similarly, the 'conspiracy to...' notion could be construed from providing access.
Yes, it's not theft, yes, it's not the legal definition but if the process allows others to 'steal' the product by using the 'crack' then, it's possibly perceivable as 'conspiracy to commit theft'.

People like to pretend 'noy buying a game' but gaining access to it isn't theft. Different countries have different rules but ultimately, most courts would interpret not paying for software, as a form of theft.
But, it's very hard to prove.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
I hope someone was around to learn everything Voksi knew for the cracking community.

I highly doubt he would take a job there and if he did would prob get fired for intentionally making them easier to crack.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Noctua Chromax NHD-15
Memory 64GB DDR4 Trident-Z @3800Mhz CL16-20-20-40
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC 24GB
Storage Intel Optane 905P 960GB NVMe, 2 x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe
Display(s) LG 48" CX OLED 4K VRR HDR 120Hz, LG 43" IPS 4K 60Hz secondary
Case Cooler Master C700M
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X Katana
Power Supply Asus ROG THOR 1200W
Mouse Asus Gladius II Origin
Keyboard Corsair K95
So software piracy isn't theft?

Some claim software piracy isn't theft because no physical object was subtracted - by that reasoning, it's perfectly ok for person A to hire person B to mow their law and then refuse to pay them after the job is done - because, after all, no physical object is being taken from person B.

But it's not ok, of course. Call it whatever you want, but by not paying person B, person A is effectively forcefully taking from person B what is legitimately his: money that he will then use to feed himself and his family.

Behind any manufactured physical or digital object, and labor, is the very same thing: the energy someone spent manufacturing that object or performing said labor. THAT is what you are REALLY paying for, not the physical object itself.

To illustrate this, take a stone sculpture for instance: the stone that sculpture is made of is the same stone you can find everywhere in nature for free - but that is not what you are paying for. What you are paying for is the unique human creative energy that brought THAT particular sculpture into existence. And because every human being is unique, so is that sculpture. Likewise with software and any other intellectual property such as books, paintings, etc...

So, if a cracker enables other people to steal your goods, or the result of your labor, he is no different than someone who lock picks your front door and goes around announcing what he did so everyone else can get into your home and steal your stuff. As such, he deserves to be criminally prosecuted. In fact, I believe that starting to put crackers in jail would be a hundred times more effective (and more productive) than any DRM ever will.

As for DRM, I am as much against it as the next person, but some seem to forget that DRM came after the pirates, not the other way around. Stop pirating, DRM stops making sense and therefore being used by developers to protect their software.

And don't believe that 'ah if the games were cheaper, blah blah' BS. People will pirate ANYTHING (even if it costs only $1) if they think they can get away with it, and will then simply rationalize their actions with some kind of BS excuse so they can look at themselves in the mirror and not feel bad. This is an attitude that can only be changed by social pressure (i.e.; the whole society looking down on software pirates as being no different than thieves) - and even then you will never be able to put a stop to it completely. Until then, people will just rationalize software piracy instead of facing the truth about what they are really doing.

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
Alright Denuvo... if you can't beat them, sue them!