• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces the GeForce RTX: 10 Years in the Making

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA today unveiled the GeForce RTX series, the first gaming GPUs based on the new NVIDIA Turing architecture and the NVIDIA RTX platform, which fuses next-generation shaders with real-time ray tracing and all-new AI capabilities.

This new hybrid graphics capability represents the biggest generational leap ever in gaming GPUs. Turing -- which delivers 6x more performance than its predecessor, Pascal -- redefines the PC as the ultimate gaming platform, with new features and technologies that deliver 4K HDR gaming at 60 frames per second on even the most advanced titles.

"Turing opens up a new golden age of gaming, with realism only possible with ray tracing, which most people thought was still a decade away," said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA, speaking before Gamescom, the world's largest gaming expo. "The breakthrough is a hybrid rendering model that boosts today's computer graphics with the addition of lightning-fast ray-tracing acceleration and AI. RTX is going to define a new look for computer graphics. Once you see an RTX game, you can't go back."

GeForce RTX - New Family of Gaming GPUs
The new GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2080 and 2070 GPUs are packed with features never before seen in a gaming GPU, including:
  • New RT Cores to enable real-time ray tracing of objects and environments with physically accurate shadows, reflections, refractions and global illumination.
  • Turing Tensor Cores to perform lightning-fast deep neural network processing.
  • New NGX neural graphics framework integrates AI into the overall graphics pipeline, enabling AI algorithms to perform amazing image enhancement and generation.
  • New Turing shader architecture with Variable Rate Shading allows shaders to focus processing power on areas of rich detail, boosting overall performance.
  • New memory system featuring ultra-fast GDDR6 with over 600GB/s of memory bandwidth for high-speed, high-resolution gaming.
  • NVIDIA NVLink , a high-speed interconnect that provides higher bandwidth (up to 100 GB/s) and improved scalability for multi-GPU configurations (SLI).
  • Hardware support for USB Type-C and VirtualLink (1), a new open industry standard being developed to meet the power, display and bandwidth demands of next-generation VR headsets through a single USB-C connector.
  • New and enhanced technologies to improve performance of VR applications, including Variable Rate Shading, Multi-View Rendering and VRWorks Audio.
Designed by NVIDIA for Gamers
NVIDIA is releasing special Founders Edition versions of the new GeForce RTX GPUs. Designed and built to the company's high standards, the GPUs' key features include:
  • Factory-overclocked design out of the box, with a next-gen 13-phase iMON DrMOS power supply and sub-millisecond power management for maximum overclocking.
  • Dual 13-blade axial fans produce 3x higher airflow and ultra-quiet acoustics.
  • Forged and machine-finished diecast aluminum cover with diamond-cut edge detailing provides a rigid, lightweight frame for an open design with beautifully smooth, continuous curves.
  • First full-card vapor chamber, which is 2x larger to maximize heat spreading and heat transfer to the finstack.
  • Enhanced DisplayPort 1.4a with DSC allows a single connector to drive an 8K monitor at 60Hz.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Dat FE card price tho

Are those better binned chips?

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Dat FE card price tho

I hope not. Could care less about a fancy cooler or higher clocks - just put a fullcover on it and OC it myself.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Why buy Aftermarket now???? Have they really just nailed the lid on Aib cards, who would buy a lower clocked ,binned Aib card bar those with not quite enough money for an Nvidia one?, Can't see the point.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Dat FE card price tho

No. It is far more likely that they need additional TDP budget (which they have) to get there reliably.

Its how they sell their own dual fan solution versus the competition's similar solutions. To gullible idiots.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Often AIB cards aren't cheaper anyway, the ASUS ROG branded cards that everyone was so protective of are often the most expensive of all.

Why buy Aftermarket now???? Have they really just nailed the lid on Aib cards, who would buy a lower clocked ,binned Aib card bar those with not quite enough money for an Nvidia one?, Can't see the point.

Because you have to pay for a FE tax. If the FE was the same price as the MSRP, then yes, it would be a problem for AIBs. This is why Nvidia put such a high price premium on the FE cards, too keep the AIBs alive. The chips inside all of the cards are the same.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Because you have to pay for a FE tax. If the FE was the same price as the MSRP, then yes, it would be a problem for AIBs. This is why Nvidia put such a high price premium on the FE cards, too keep the AIBs alive. The chips inside all of the cards are the same.
But my point stands , if you want the best card theirs clocks highest, and your pushing an assumption that's wrong thinking all the chips are the same, not likely.

This will hurt aib sales, i always buy refs for water block support for example.

Processor 12900K @5.1all Pcore only, 1.23v
Motherboard MSI Edge
Cooling D15 Chromax Black
Memory 32GB 4000 C15
Video Card(s) 4090 Suprim X
Storage Various Samsung M.2s, 860 evo other
Display(s) Predator X27 / Deck (Nreal air) / LG C3 83
Case FD Torrent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Ananda / AudioEngine A5+
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 1000W
Mouse Amazon finest (no brand)
Keyboard Amazon finest (no brand)
VR HMD Index
Benchmark Scores I got some numbers.
Often AIB cards aren't cheaper anyway, the ASUS ROG branded cards that everyone was so protective of are often the most expensive of all.

Well after they caved so fast to Nvidias scummy GPP, I said I wouldnt be buying from them again. Ive ordered an MSI for this round. If they are as good as previous MSI cards Ive owned, then Im sure I'll be happy.

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
It's R eally T oo e X pensive ?

How AMD will respond to these RTX ?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Well after they caved so fast to Nvidias scummy GPP, I said I wouldnt be buying from them again. Ive ordered an MSI for this round. If they are as good as previous MSI cards Ive owned, then Im sure I'll be happy.

MSI was going to do the exact same, cave.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11

Yep, but sadly that is how it works, they caved becuase Nv own the high end market and they want a slice. XFX, Powercolor etc must all be wishing they had something new to sell.

This isn't about AMD Vs Nvidia for them. It's about ASUS Vs MSI, Zotac, Gigabyte...

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
This is the most disappointing NVIDIA release I can remember. AMD has had a string of disappointing gfx releases. I wonder if both are holding back for when Intel decides to jump in the mix? Intel nabbing Raja and handing him a nearly unlimited budget will for formidable.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Don't tell anyone - everybody caved already. signed GPP or not.

Exactly, what are they going to do? Hey guys check out our MSI GTX 1080! When ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA are flogging their shiny new RTX 20X0 cards...

I'm interested in seeing how these perform in games that we have right now. Did they announce anything cool we can use right now in all games? Like new post-process AA, improved DSR, something like that? I couldn't watch the entire stream uninterrupted...

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
I'm interested in seeing how these perform in games that we have right now. Did they announce anything cool we can use right now in all games? Like new post-process AA, improved DSR, something like that? I couldn't watch the entire stream uninterrupted...

Not too much, reflection, ambience light and shadow with Ray Tracing is the main show.. no gaming improvement in term of fps etc ..

Really focusing on how RTX can change the games with Ray Tracing

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
10 years ago Intel demoed Ray Tracing with Larrabee. Come on Nvidia, Intel is light years ahead of you.

HZCH

OMG those prices... did they decided to align on overpriced Vega? I bought an Asus 1080ti for 799 just before the Great Mining Theft, and I thought it was damn expensive already... Who's gonna buy even an RTX2080 at that price?

They talk so much over autonomous image enhancing with "Ai" and yet they couldn't stick SMAA into NV CP next to useless blurry FXAA mode. Come on NVIDIA... They could offer "free" post process AA via their new fancy tech, but they just couldn't be bothered. I'd then probably upgrade to RTX 2080 or even Ti just because of that. Or DSR that actually works an is cheaper thanks to this adaptive stuff or whatever. Because it would work right now, in all games. Instead, you buy hardware for the future for few games to have some of the exciting stuff. Eh.

Processor 12900K @5.1all Pcore only, 1.23v
Motherboard MSI Edge
Cooling D15 Chromax Black
Memory 32GB 4000 C15
Video Card(s) 4090 Suprim X
Storage Various Samsung M.2s, 860 evo other
Display(s) Predator X27 / Deck (Nreal air) / LG C3 83
Case FD Torrent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Ananda / AudioEngine A5+
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 1000W
Mouse Amazon finest (no brand)
Keyboard Amazon finest (no brand)
VR HMD Index
Benchmark Scores I got some numbers.
MSI was going to do the exact same, cave.
Most had done so and the rest would have likely gone too. But ASUS is the biggest and they flushed AMD down the shitter before Nvidia even finished the sentence. So Ive lost respect for them.

And no, nothing new was really announced, nothing special for current games. The whole thing was focused on ray tracing with a little AI.

We will be able to run a new AA method utilizing the Tensor Cores, with no impact or much less performance impact, than the others AA.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
It was only few days ago, TITAN used to cost $1200 and now same tier will retain a standard price of $3000. What a time we live in!. nVIDIA is really out to dry our wallets quick this time around.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I would be interested to know if caustic Ip added to Nvidias Rtx tech??