• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Announces New P65 Premium Notebook Designed for Content Creators

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
MSI, a world leader in high performance computing hardware, today announces its new notebook designed specifically for content creators and professionals, the P65. The P65 is a powerful system with a stylish design featuring high-end specs, beautiful thin-bezel display and long-lasting battery life. MSI will have the P65 on display at IFA 2018 at Booth number 107.

The P65 provides everything a content creator or business professional needs to work quickly and efficiently. Creators are constantly on the move and need to have desktop-grade power in a form factor they can easily carry around. With a potent processor and dedicated graphics, the P65 gives users more than enough power to edit raw HD or 4K video, create motion graphics and fly through complicated spreadsheets on the go. The P65 also features a full suite of ports including an SD card reader, USB Type-C, USB Type-A, HDMI, micro-DisplayPort and an ethernet jack. The P65 will be available this September.

The P65 was made to arm creators with the best creative tools. The 15-inch screen features MSI's exclusive True Color 2.0 technology. Each panel is examined thoroughly and undergoes an extensive factory calibration process, so each color is displayed with absolute precision. This results in a near perfect color presentation, with close to 100 percent coverage of the sRGB color spectrum. The IPS-level, 4.9mm thin-bezel panel is ideal for those who need extreme color accuracy when editing photos or videos.

While the elegant new silver chassis separates the P65 from MSI's traditional design, the high-performance specifications keep the P65 in close comparison with MSI's top-of-the-line gaming offerings. The P65 features Intel's latest 8th Generation Core i7 processor and up to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q GPU. These specifications allow for faster rendering times and better multitasking. The P65 has up to almost three times more graphical performance than leading competitor in this category. The P65 uses MSI's Cooler Boost Trinity, the same system found in its gaming laptops, to keep the notebook cool even during intense workloads.

"For a long time, MSI has just been recognized as a leader in PC gaming hardware," said Sam Chern, MSI Assistant Vice President of Global Marketing. "With the P65, we're investing deeply in professionals and content creators, bringing them high performance for all of their everyday tasks. We have taken the lessons we've learned from our years of experience in making gaming hardware and used it to create a beautiful, professional notebook that is more powerful than any laptop in its class."

The P65 features top-of-the-line specifications while maintaining a slim, portable form factor. With its ultra-light aluminum chassis, the P65 weighs just 4.14 pounds and measures 0.69 inches thick. However, the slim design does not sacrifice battery life. The P65 has an 82Whr battery for up to nine hours of regular use. In addition to the productivity features, the P65 uses a Windows Hello Certified fingerprint sensor for a high-privacy business security solution and supports Microsoft's Cortana voice-enabled digital assistant.

At launch, the P65 will be available in both silver and a gorgeous limited-edition white. The White Limited Edition shares many of the same specifications as the Silver Edition, but comes with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q GPU, Hi-Res Audio and Thunderbolt 3. At launch, the Silver Edition will be available with either a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q or GTX 1050 Ti. The White Limited Edition also comes in a beautiful wooden box and includes an extended one-year warranty and protective laptop sleeve.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

This is a curious product. It's aimed at content creation professionals and yet only has a 15" screen? Sorry, that makes not sense. 18" or 19" 2160p screen makes sense.
And the statement;
a high-privacy business security solution and supports Microsoft's Cortana voice-enabled digital assistant.
is a contradiction of sheer absurdity. No professional with any level of self respect is going to use Cortana if they care about security.

MSI has created a Windows 10 based Apple wannabe fluff piece, no more.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
This is a curious product. It's aimed at content creation professionals and yet only has a 15" screen? Sorry, that makes not sense. 18" or 19" 2160p screen makes sense.
And the statement;

is a contradiction of sheer absurdity. No professional with any level of self respect is going to use Cortana if they care about security.

The mac book pro (sometimes not even pro) has been/is the bread and butter of lots graphic designer/illustrators for years, and I think that this is the kind of product msi is trying to do (Even if in the end it's just a gaming laptop from MSI with a different color job, and marketing speech).

The fact they have a geforce gpu, clearly show that it's not meant for critical application. Those people aren't really looking for a desktop replacement of 19" that would be hard to carry, but something that could allow them to keep working, while they are away from home, home that would be most likely equipped with a larger desktop screen anyway.
http://instagr.am/p/BXTaWWvBi4X/ Lots of them are happy with that setup

There's this strange issue about being a professional, when you have to meet your client and sell him the product you've made. And 19" laptops don't really excel at being carried to meetings.

Also, why would any laptop have a 19" screen? Have you heard about the idea called "external monitors"? :)
How do you know this? What's so bad about Cortana? Or do you mean all assistants?
Of course. But making "Apple wannabe" products is a fairly decent way of making money.

Even if in the end it's just a gaming laptop from MSI with a different color job, and marketing speech).
To be honest, a gaming laptop with different color job is not a bad strategy. Quite a lot of pros use gaming laptops as a cheap alternative to workstations. Yes, they fall apart quickly. Yes, they look ridiculously on meetings. But they have the grunt that similarly priced business notebooks lack.
The fact they have a geforce gpu, clearly show that it's not meant for critical application.
This part I don't understand. What's wrong with 1070?
And what exactly do you mean by "critical application"? :-D

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
There's this strange issue about being a professional, when you have to meet your client and sell him the product you've made. And 19" laptops don't really excel at being carried to meetings.

Also, why would any laptop have a 19" screen? Have you heard about the idea called "external monitors"? :)

How do you know this? What's so bad about Cortana? Or do you mean all assistants?

Of course. But making "Apple wannabe" products is a fairly decent way of making money.

To be honest, a gaming laptop with different color job is not a bad strategy. Quite a lot of pros use gaming laptops as a cheap alternative to workstations. Yes, they fall apart quickly. Yes, they look ridiculously on meetings. But they have the grunt that similarly priced business notebooks lack.

This part I don't understand. What's wrong with 1070?
And what exactly do you mean by "critical application"? :-D
For most people geforce gpu are actually fine, but some 3D/CAD/visualistion software are more stable/faster with quadro gpu, I just meant that this laptop isn't trying to replace msi portable workstation who use quadro gpu, are way more expensive, but a safer bet when you are doing work were not having ECC/certified drivers can be an issue.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Designed with premium price in mind.

For most people geforce gpu are actually fine, but some 3D/CAD/visualistion software are more stable/faster with quadro gpu, I just meant that this laptop isn't trying to replace msi portable workstation who use quadro gpu, are way more expensive, but a safer bet when you are doing work were not having ECC/certified drivers can be an issue.
Sure, but you're talking about production systems. And I agree. ECC and quadro drivers are totally worth it.

But if you can live without potentially more RAM and better support, GeForce cards are just as good for development.

Those people aren't really looking for a desktop replacement of 19" that would be hard to carry
I currently have an 18" laptop and have used it professionally. It's not difficult to carry around and is very useful. Trust me, the extra screen real-estate makes a positive difference.
Why not? See above. And really, why would I carry around a laptop AND an external monitor? It would be easier to simply have a laptop with a bigger screen. I would love to have a 21" screen on one.
All. Every digital assistant made, especially Cortana, calls home to momma with every request made if them. This can be a very serious security problem. It is certainly a serious privacy issue.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I currently have an 18" laptop and have used it professionally. It's not difficult to carry around and is very useful. Trust me, the extra screen real-estate makes a positive difference.

Why not? See above. And really, why would I carry around a laptop AND an external monitor? It would be easier to simply have a laptop with a bigger screen. I would love to have a 21" screen on one.

All. Every digital assistant made, especially Cortana, calls home to momma with every request made if them. This can be a very serious security problem. It is certainly a serious privacy issue.
Do you have the Alienware m18, that laptop is hard to carry around when most bags are too small for it. I had one for 2 years.

The Aero 15x is in the same market but with a larger battery.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
You can turn off Cortana.. Or fine tune "her" pretty well.

Do you have the Alienware m18, that laptop is hard to carry around when most bags are too small for it. I had one for 2 years.
No, it's a Eurocom. So buy a bigger bag, how hard is that?
You can turn off Cortana.. Or fine tune "her" pretty well.
But can we trust Microsoft when they say Cortana is disabled and not running that it's actually turned off? I would rather that Cortana is not present on the system.
Well exactly. 18" workstation laptop should be fun to carry all day. ;-)
Actually, it's never been that difficult.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
No, it's a Eurocom. So buy a bigger bag, how hard is that?

But can we trust Microsoft when they say Cortana is disabled and not running that it's actually turned off? I would rather that Cortana is not present on the system.

Actually, it's never been that difficult.
I know what model you are talking about, and its kinda hard to find a bag that can fit a 18inch laptop and 2 power supplies.

I know what model you are talking about, and its kinda hard to find a bag that can fit a 18inch laptop and 2 power supplies.
Seemingly not as mine only uses one, and my bag totes it all around just fine. Of course that's older tech. New gen tech would be much easier to engineer.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Seemingly not as mine only uses one, and my bag totes it all around just fine. Of course that's older tech. New gen tech would be much easier to engineer.
What model is it, just curious. I was thinking yours has 1070/1080 sli.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
No, it's an older Leopard model with an i7 2860 and a single GTX680m. Still works great though.
oh those where the 1st gen 18inchers. Back when alienware also had a 18incher, I miss those big a$$ laptops.