• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces "Zen" Based Athlon and 2nd Gen Ryzen PRO Desktop Processors

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today announced a reimagined family of AMD Athlon desktop processors with Radeon Vega graphics that have been optimized for everyday PC users: the AMD Athlon 200GE, Athlon 220GE, and Athlon 240GE processor. Combining the high-performance x86 "Zen" core and "Vega] graphics architectures in a versatile System-on-Chip (SOC) design, the Athlon desktop processors offer responsive and reliable computing for a wide range of experiences, from day-to-day needs like web browsing and video streaming through more advanced workloads like high-definition PC gaming. Complementing this news, AMD announced the availability of the commercial-grade Athlon PRO 200GE desktop processor, along with three 2nd Gen Ryzen PRO desktop processor models for the commercial, enterprise, and the public sector: the Ryzen 7 PRO 2700X, Ryzen 7 PRO 2700, and Ryzen 5 PRO 2600 processors. With these new introductions, AMD now offers a top-to-bottom line-up of professional-grade computing solutions for experiences that range from premium content creation to advanced multitasking and office productivity.

"We are proud to expand our successful "Zen" core-based consumer and commercial product portfolios today with the addition of AMD Athlon, AMD Athlon PRO, and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen PRO desktop processors. The new Athlon desktop processors, now incorporating the advanced "Zen" core and "Vega"3 graphics architectures, energize a legendary processor brand in AMD Athlon - a brand that consumers and PC enthusiasts alike trusted throughout nearly two decades of innovation," said Saeid Moshkelani, senior vice president and general manager, Client Compute, AMD. "Additionally, we are continuing to offer business PC users more processing power than we ever have before with the launch of 2nd Gen Ryzen PRO desktop processors into the commercial market."

AMD Athlon 200GE Processor with Radeon Vega Graphics
The highly efficient "Zen" architecture helps the AMD Athlon 200GE processor stay cool and quiet for reliable computing experiences, while its "Zen" processor and graphics cores enable responsive PC performance and fluid experiences for games or HD movies. In addition, the AMD Athlon 200GE processor is supported by the existing AMD Socket AM4 infrastructure for a platform that delivers the latest PC features including DDR4 memory, NVMe storage, 4K display support, USB 3.1 Gen2 support, and that offers an easy upgrade path to even more performance with AMD Ryzen processors and discrete graphics cards.

The AMD Athlon 200GE desktop processor offers:
  • Up to 169 percent more responsive computing than AMD's previous generation AMD A6-9500E
  • Up to 67 percent more GPU performance and up to 2X greater power efficiency than the competition
  • Up to 84 percent faster high-definition PC gaming than the competition
AMD Athlon PRO and 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen PRO Desktop Processors
AMD PRO processors are designed for business, bringing reliability, security, and performance to address the demands of today's compute-intensive enterprise-focused workloads. All AMD PRO processors across the product stack provide commercial-grade quality and reliability to help ensure platform longevity and support open-standard manageability to enable greater management flexibility in a multi-vendor client environment at a business-friendly price. In addition, AMD GuardMI technology enables state-of-the-art, power-on to power-off, silicon-level security that helps protect against an ever-growing number of threats.

Built on x86 "Zen" core, both Athlon PRO 200GE and 2nd Gen Ryzen PRO desktop processors provide breakthrough responsiveness for the most demanding enterprise-class applications and multi-tasking workflows.
  • Athlon PRO 200GE processor offers
    o Up to 19% faster system performance than the competition
    o Up to 67% faster graphics performance than the competition
  • Ryzen 7 PRO 2700X processor delivers
    o Up to 10% higher multiprocessing performance than the 1st Gen Ryzen 7 PRO 1700X
    o Up to 24% more CPU performance than the competition
    o Up to 18% better performance than the competition
Availability
The AMD Athlon 200GE processor will be available from global retailers and system integrators starting Sept. 18, 2018, and the Athlon 220GE and 240GE processor models are slated for launch in Q4 2018. The AMD Athlon PRO 200GE and 2nd Gen Ryzen PRO desktop processors will be available with major global OEMs including Dell, HP, and Lenovo systems, dependent on respective OEM launch schedules.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Was there a Ryzen 7 Pro 1700X?

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
The PRO label just means OEM only. The parts usually have a lower clock speed to accommodate the lower grade cooling.

Also the Athlon 200 GE is locked for some reason.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
The PRO label just means OEM only. The parts usually have a lower clock speed to accommodate the lower grade cooling.

Also the Athlon 200 GE is locked for some reason.
PRO SKUs also support ECC memory.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Nope.
The chip can work in ECC mode - exactly like normal Ryzen.

Hehe, he thinks AMD is crooked like intel.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nope.
The chip can work in ECC mode - exactly like normal Ryzen.
Hm. I've seen several motherboard specs specifying that ECC support is limited to (or "available with") Pro SKUs. Is that then just BS, or can MB manufacturers limit this somehow?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Hm. I've seen several motherboard specs specifying that ECC support is limited to (or "available with") Pro SKUs. Is that then just BS, or can MB manufacturers limit this somehow?

I guess if they're losers, then it could be disabled by uefi. Historically, afaik, only cheapo boards didn't come with ecc support, b/c they literally were too cheap to make the extra traces.

I precisely said "can work in ECC mode", not "support". AMD does not support ECC in Ryzen lineup (both consumer and PRO).

ECC is "supported" (or "validated") when CPU manufacturer confirmed it works as it should and, as a result, takes responsibility if it malfunctions.
It's basically the same story as with all other products designed for professional use (certification and stuff). :)
Who said Intel is "crooked"? Basically all existing x86 CPUs can work with ECC memory.
Any modern x86 Intel CPU paired with an ECC-enabled chipset (and ECC RAM, obviously) should work just fine in ECC mode.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
I precisely said "can work in ECC mode", not "support". AMD does not support ECC in Ryzen lineup (both consumer and PRO).

ECC is "supported" (or "validated") when CPU manufacturer confirmed it works as it should and, as a result, takes responsibility if it malfunctions.
It's basically the same story as with all other products designed for professional use (certification and stuff). :)

Who said Intel is "crooked"? Basically all existing x86 CPUs can work with ECC memory.
Any modern x86 Intel CPU paired with an ECC-enabled chipset (and ECC RAM, obviously) should work just fine in ECC mode.

Good luck. Intel lied on their spec pages for i3s. And I believe anything z270/z370 has ecc disabled. Took over a decade to get virtualization on cheaper chips.

And lol at modern. They intentionally crippled everything before and it hasn't let up too much.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Would love to see some cheap (but respectable), product like this attract others and revive PC gaming (revive it more than it has been, that is). No reason to be buying a console anymore....other than maybe the simple interfaces.

Good luck. Intel lied on their spec pages for i3s.
If you think they lied, why not sue them? Surely, you would won and could finally afford the Ryzen you love so much. :p
No, seriously, ECC is supported on few i3 and multiple Pentium/Celeron/Atom CPUs.

You need a chipset that supports ECC and none of the "consumer" kind does. But assuming you have a proper mobo, you can basically use any 1151 CPU and ECC should be functional.
And I believe anything z270/z370 has ecc disabled.
Z270 is a gaming chipset.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
If you think they lied, why not sue them? Surely, you would won and could finally afford the Ryzen you love so much. :p
No, seriously, ECC is supported on few i3 and multiple Pentium/Celeron/Atom CPUs.

You need a chipset that supports ECC and none of the "consumer" kind does. But assuming you have a proper mobo, you can basically use any 1151 CPU and ECC should be functional.

Z270 is a gaming chipset.

"chipset" Chipsets don't exist. They're IO hubs. Intel is disabling it. No ecc for you until you go HEDT is what they want. So, yeah, you'd have to buy a supermicro board for the CPUs that do support it...smells like a higher markup for intel....

Last edited:
"chipset" Chipsets don't exist. They're IO hubs. Intel is disabling it.
Seriously, can't you just check this instead of repeating the same mistake?
No ecc for you until you go HEDT is what they want.
Again: wrong. Intel's so-called "HEDT" (socket 2066, 2011 etc) doesn't support ECC either.
So, yeah, you'd have to buy a supermicro board for the CPUs that do support it...smells like a higher markup for intel....
You'd have to buy an enterprise mobo for a custom build, correct. But id doesn't have to be by Supermicro.
Few other manufacturers make motherboards with C-series chipsets.
Example: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC

The reason why Intel certifies its Atom, Celeron, Pentium and a few i3 with ECC is because these CPUs are used in servers / IoT.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Seriously, can't you just check this instead of repeating the same mistake?

Again: wrong. Intel's so-called "HEDT" (socket 2066, 2011 etc) doesn't support ECC either.

You'd have to buy an enterprise mobo for a custom build, correct. But id doesn't have to be by Supermicro.
Few other manufacturers make motherboards with C-series chipsets.
Example: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC

The reason why Intel certifies its Atom, Celeron, Pentium and a few i3 with ECC is because these CPUs are used in servers / IoT.

Lmao, I was thinking they did (mostly from cost). That's beyond pathetic.

And, no, I'm (99% sure) not wrong about "chipsets". Intel forbids it to be enabled on the boards. There's no technical reason other than the traces aren't there, since ecc is banned on consumer boards. They really don't want anyone sticking the low end CPUs in them. The boards won't even boot with it, which also tells the story. Unless you want to tell me that whole old northbridge hasn't been integrated on-die for all these years, now :p

Let's fully regress and remove Vtd from everything, too, and segment by "chipset".

Last edited:
Lmao, I was thinking they did (mostly from cost). That's beyond pathetic.
You're thinking and assuming a lot. Why not learn something for a change? :p
And, no, I'm (99% sure) not wrong about "chipsets". Intel forbids it to be enabled on the boards. There's no technical reason other than the traces aren't there, since ecc is banned on consumer boards.
I feel like discussing whether you're right or wrong in your "being sure"s is fairly pointless at this point.

As for the issue:
Yes, Intel may want to block ECC on consumer PCs. Not a big deal for customers (ECC, seriously?) and possibly a big cost saver for Intel.
It's not like they don't offer ECC at all. They simply offer it in specific product lineups.
You don't have to spend a fortune to get an ECC-verified Intel CPU these days - even putting aside all the ECC-friendly Atoms, Pentiums and i3s.
You can simply get a cheap Xeon. They're offered in 4- and 6-core variants and start at around $300.
Let's fully regress and remove Vtd from everything, too, and segment by "chipset".
Virtualization is a fundamental feature for business and very popular among consumers as well. ECC is really only important for production and just a luxury everything else.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Hasn't ECC worked with AMD for like always?

My HTPC has a Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus MB with NForce 720D chipset and 2x2GB Hynix DDR2-800 ECC, ECC works perfectly.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Hasn't ECC worked with AMD for like always?

My HTPC has a Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus MB with NForce 720D chipset and 2x2GB Hynix DDR2-800 ECC, ECC works perfectly.
It has always been a feature that is available on AMD chips since the memory controller was moved to an on chip design. But as stated before, it would be up to the mobo manufacturers to including the additional traces for that extra 8-bits of data. So if you have an AMD chip, ECC RAM, and a mobo that has support for ECC, it should work. Often, also as discussed before, this is not always tested to confirm the functionality.

I have a Ryzen 1800 and a board that supports it, but I don't have ECC RAM to test it with.