• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Micron Announces Its Initial Launch Partner Status for NVIDIA RTX 20-Series GDDR6 Implementation

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Memory subsystems are an important part of graphics workloads, and both AMD and NVIDIA have always been looking to cross the cutting-edge of tech in both GPU production and memory fabrication technologies. AMD has been hitching itself to the HBM bandwagon with much more fervor than NVIDIA, albeit with somewhat lukewarm results - at least from a consumer, gaming GPU perspective. NVIDIA has been more cautious: lock HBM's higher costs and lower availability to higher-margin products that can leverage the additional bandwidth, and leave GDDR to muscle its way through consumer products - a strategy that has likely helped in keeping BOM costs for its graphics cards relatively low.

As it stands, Micron was the only company with both the roadmap and production volume to be NVIDIA's partner in launching the RTX 20-series, with products above (and including) the GTX 2070 all carrying the new high-performance memory subsystem. Micron has already announced GDDR6 memory as a product back in 2017, with sampling by the beginning of 2018 and mass volume production by June - just enough time to spool up a nice inventory for new, shiny graphics cards to come out in September. Of course, this ramp-up and initial Micron leadership doesn't mean they will be the only suppliers for NVIDIA - however, it's safe to say they'll be the most relevant one for at least a good while.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I remember when micron/[Elpida] was not the memory you wanted to get in a card over Samsung or Hynix , boy times have changed

I remember when micron/[Elpida] was not the memory you wanted to get in a card over Samsung or Hynix , boy times have changed
I suspect Samsung/Hynix does not have quantity for Geforce RTX. Samsung produces GDDR6 for Quadro. From memory, GTX 1070 Samsung GDDR5 OC furthest, followed by Hynix, then Micron.

System Name Main setup
Processor i9 12900K
Motherboard Gigabyte z690 Gaming X
Cooling Water
Memory Kingston 32GB 5200@cl30
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTS 4090
Storage Adata SX8200 PRO 1 adn 2 TB, Samsung 960EVO, Crucial MX300 750GB Limited edition
Display(s) HP "cheapass" 34" 3440x1440
Case CM H500P Mesh
Audio Device(s) Logitech G933
Power Supply Corsair RX850i
Mouse G502
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software W11
HMB is 512GB/s

I like they are using an AGP card to illustrate :D

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

That wasn't long ago, even Pascal's 1070's were preferable with Samsung chips, they reliably clocked higher.

funny when the 10 series came out I seen micron was the memory of choice by the card venders , but getting a Samsung memory card was great luck of the draw card . [??? ]

seemed like now Hynix and or Samsung are the fill in memory when the micron ' are in short supply at the vid card factory

though the overclocking head room of 10 series was noy so great anyway like I said between a evga sc and there best oc'ed classy was only 17 MHz . [as far as factory ] use to be like 90 + between a sc and classy on older series

maybe now it don't matter what memory is in it cause its just at or near all your likely to get out of it at factory specs anyway .

seems NVidia wants to limit ant user oc'ing more and more each new series release to what you get per series line factory oc'ed out of the box . [opinion]