• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New iPhone woes

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I wish phone companies made the batteries bigger when they made these monolithic things that ideally would fit in a normal person's pocket.
True, i got a Nokia 7 though it lasts two days in use so they're getting better ,I can't understand why people pay so much though , never will.

As I mentioned previously, my son uses them for flying ... keeps flight logs, files flight plans, fight plan maps displayed on phone. He originally used an iPad but with the ability to use on phones now, the smaller form factor is of great value because in a cockpit, space in your field of view is limited and, the bigger the device, eats up space and often blocks view of instruments and gauges.

6.2 inch S8+ plus here, still pocketable and can handle it with one hand just fine. I genuinely cannot understand why people still complain about this. The matter of the fact is the overwhelming majority of us do want huge phones and can use them just fine.

If you are annoyed by this then I am sorry to say this but your in the minority here, not the other way around and phone manufacturer will always cater to the majority.

As far as the "majority of us" ... it depends on who the "us" is. In the office and on the jobsite, the smaller or what i call "medium" form factors are far more prevalent. Those who use their phones for productivity prefer the smaller from factor by an overwhelming margin. Those who use their phones mainly for entertainment purposes or to occupy idle time, that segment overwhelmingly prefers the larger form factors.

My three sons, all had the larger form factor phones .... the oldest, keeps his phone in his flight bag. The other two, well they both have bent phones from keeping in pockets. They plant to switch to smaller (medium) form factor with next upgrade.

Logical folks should select the form factor that best suits them. Sometimes, what we think we want doesn't work out so well as 2 of my sons found out and a more appropriate choice is made next tie out. In many instances, it's going to me more about impressing their peers than picking what works best.

I find that at a 3" width I am struggling a bit to securely hold the device and reach all points on the screen ... so 2-3/4" is about my limit width wise. Length wise, 5.5" is OK.... 6" is bordering on uncomfortable in my pocket. My wife, she has the iPhone 6 and finds the form factor just right for her.... the 6+ was too big.

But in the end, I am at a loss to understand why anyone cares about what other people do. As long as companies have a market to fill, manufacturers will build phones for this segment. One other thing I notice is that people are people are changing how they use their phone. In 2005, I did everything on my phone ... edited documents and spreadsheets, answered emails, you name it. By 2010, no longer touched documents .... not that the phone couldn't do it... I was simply inefficient, the small screen the thumb typing, was an inefficient use of time. When on the road, It was faster to pop up to my hotel room and open the lappie then sit their thumb typing. I still answered emails, but only if they were a one sentence necessary type. Now I don't even enable email on the phone. I'm never more than 2 -3 hours from opening the lappie and I can be so much more efficient there.

Last edited:
I never understood this absurd obsession to make everything bigger. Just have 2 designs, regular at 5 to 5.2" and that phablet with gigantic screen for people who want stupid big screen. The 5-5.2" is perfectly sized to be big enough while comfortably operated with one hand. And they fit everywhere perfectly. When I'll be looking for new phone, I'll have to make sure it even fits in my car slot for mobile phone coz it only fits up to 5.3" max (and even this will be tightly already). People demand stupid resolutions and screen sizes and entirely forgetting phone is suppose to also be convenient. Being this massive chopping board is anything but that.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I never understood this absurd obsession to make everything bigger. Just have 2 designs, regular at 5 to 5.2" and that phablet with gigantic screen for people who want stupid big screen. The 5-5.2" is perfectly sized to be big enough while comfortably operated with one hand. And they fit everywhere perfectly. When I'll be looking for new phone, I'll have to make sure it even fits in my car slot for mobile phone coz it only fits up to 5.3" max (and even this will be tightly already). People demand stupid resolutions and screen sizes and entirely forgetting phone is suppose to also be convenient. Being this massive chopping board is anything but that.

each to their own. Im running a Mate 9 which is 5.9" or 6" Browsing or consuming media when away from home is a joy on a bigger screen.

I think 6-6.3" is probably the limit because anything above that just looks like youre holding a big chocolate bar against the side of your head. And remember the days of the 7" Sony Ultra's and similar samsungs and i cannot understand why they want a phone so big.

My point being that the market is absolutely spoilt for choices. If you think one phone is too big then dont bloody buy it and buy something smaller that fits your hand. Theres probably a few hundred other devices that do this.

It's not that easy. Especially when they dumb down the smaller model. Battery being smaller, fine, you don't have such a huge brick to cram it into, but dumbing down RAM, procesor and so fort is unforgiving. And with that being said it's not "then don't buy that" when you like a particular model.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
They could easily make it a little thicker to compensate for smaller screen size if battery capacity is really that important. They've made phones so thin these days, they're flimsy. They've made corners of the phone so close to the panel, it shatters when dropped on the corner. Everything about phone design is about form over function, and that's wrong for most consumers. Caterpillar is really the only phone manufacturer that makes a phone meant to be used as a phone and that is very, very sad.

System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
I personally think the 7.9 inch size of the iPad mini line is the perfect size. Anything smaller or bigger is just too much.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I have a s8 plus and I love the size of the screen, 6.2in. I am away from home alot and watch lots of show/movies on the phone. I tried the s8, love it but wanted something a bit bigger on the screen department.

Only way I'd consider iPhone is if they have better privacy practices compared to Google's Android. Is there any info on that? Google lives of our personal data, with Apple, you pay huge money for their product. Do they respect privacy any better because of it or are they the same as Google underneath?

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
This summer when having to switch the phone, I was looking for a phone that would be 14cm (5.5") long at max. Basically 5" screen max, smaller if possible. I need a basic (smart)phone, average requirements on the hardware but since I want to keep that for several years wanted a new-ish model (2017+), 4 cores, 4GB RAM (as I have had a chance to use Android phones with less, IOS or Windows would probably be fine with 2GB), 32+GB space and late-ish OS like Android 8 (or iOS 11 or Windows 10).

GSMArena search gave me 2 phones that match this search - Sony Xperia ZX1/ZX2 Compact. I do not like Sony's take on the software and ZX1/ZX2 did not feel good in my hand.
Started letting go of some requirements - I thought I can live with 2GB RAM and a phone from 2016 and did a new search. What got added were Sony Xperia X Compact (that is discontinued) and Iphone 7/8.

The thing is, all of these phones except Iphone 8 were pretty much at the same price anyway and that is how I ended up with an Iphone. Because it is small.

I would want a smaller phone if I could but there are no smaller phones on the market. And truth to be told, current crop of OS-s are not usable anymore with screens under 4.5" :(

Oh boy, checked iPhone Xs prices and it starts at 1200€ for 64GB. That's just absolutely bonkers. I may be looking at privacy more seriously recently, but 1200€ is a bit absurd premium to pay in order to get it. Coz I'm trusting Google less and less to a point I only have Android left as the only Google product I still need to get rid of.

iPhone XR looks very similar, just smaller and with LCD display, but I couldn't find any prices. Or type of construction...

On a side note ... if ya getting a new phone and been looking at reviews for wireless chargers, you will find dozens of "Top 5" / "Top 10" whatever reviews recommending WCs for the Xs and Xmax. Problem is, the reviewers, didn't bother to check with the manufacturers; they just assumed that the 10w chargers that are used on the Samsing phones would work on the new Apples.... they don't, at least not properly. My son ordered a Ravpower and then canceled it when they told him it was not compatable... at least not yet. Deems they are testing the older model, and while hardware wise, it will work, it has not been calibrated for the new versions. He called two other vendors, and was told to hold off.

I'm no woman, but my hands are a bit on the smaller side and... boy, oh boy, do I hate it when I have to use new phones once in a while. Now, I fully realize I'm a minority here, but I think the perfect phone size goes to... the iPhone 4(S) - yes, that old thing.

These new phones, they're so wide - yet so thin - you barely have anything to hold on to. You can't possibly not drop them at some point during their lifetime. Not to mention how the screen almost (and sometimes completely) touches the side - you can't help but accidentally send your mom that drunk selfie you thought you had deleted - while trying to hold the phone with one hand and type.

While I'm on topic - how do you accurately tap the top of the display with your thumb? Oh, you re-adjust the phone in your hand and move it lower? Yeah, also one of the perfect ways to drop it and render it useless.

Call me old school but I just don't find new phones ergonomic at all. Half your clothes don't have pockets big enough, and those that do - well, better forget about squatting with that back pocket.

You know which people have very small hands and very large phones? Middle school kids. I swear, their parents buy them some of the largest phones and phablets known to man, and it looks absolutely ridiculous. But hey, why can't Jimmy have one when Petey already has one...

What also drives me moderately mad is the fact that - save for the iPhone SE - you can't find any remotely half-decent smaller new(ish) phones. What you get are some 4 inch 1.2GHz DualCore 1GB ram 8GB storage 480x800 models that cost around $40. I know it's hard to cram decent components in a small area, and I'm not asking for quantum computer level processing power, but it's either Apple's grossly overpriced walled garden or China's no-name tier. Ugly, simply ugly.

I read somewhere that as humans evolve, our constant interaction with touchscreens will eventually force our fingers to become thinner and longer, but you know what... I won't live to see it. I vote with my wallet and it firmly refuses to reward manufacturers for giving me the middle finger.

</rant>

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Oh boy, checked iPhone Xs prices and it starts at 1200€ for 64GB. That's just absolutely bonkers. I may be looking at privacy more seriously recently, but 1200€ is a bit absurd premium to pay in order to get it. Coz I'm trusting Google less and less to a point I only have Android left as the only Google product I still need to get rid of.

iPhone XR looks very similar, just smaller and with LCD display, but I couldn't find any prices. Or type of construction...

I mean even if you use Apple, you're using Bing search engine which I am sure has plenty of machine learning that it takes from every search you do with Siri or manually...

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Gee, first world problems...

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Not really. It just reflects this world's current sjw and pc and culture

Or you know, telegraph.co.uk is known for stirring the political pot. Which I'd say they may be based on this article. It seems many fall for this type of press as well.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Yes the new phone is nice and All but not including a fast charger ($70 for it) is beyond stupidity. Apple fails hard. I spent what... $20 for a cable and the charger for my S8+….. F*OFF Shitty Apple

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That 230 looks sexy.

wish one of the models was a flip phone though. nice and slim with new tech. but no hardcore stuff, just a simple phone that can do maybe youtube and thats it. lol

If only there was widely adopted Android ecosystem without Google infested crap. It seems that if you want privacy, you only have a choice of a) dumb phone b) flashing phone with custom ROM that has all the Google tracking shit removed c) using Apple products which have better privacy, but cost muchos more

Not much of a choice then...

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I mean even if you use Apple, you're using Bing search engine which I am sure has plenty of machine learning that it takes from every search you do with Siri or manually...
How do you figure it’s using Bing? I’m not arguing just asking. I mean I have my 6S and Air2 set to use Duck Duck Go for search engines but as far as what you’re saying I’m quite curious.