• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project Stream is Google's Version of Game Streaming: Play Assassin's Creed Odyssey in Chrome Browser

In 2010, a company called OnLive believed that game streaming was the future. The problem was that they believed that this future would come sooner than what ended up happening. The company (or rather, its IP) would end up being bought by Sony instead. The Japanese company then launched PlayStation Now later, which in itself is a cloud gaming platform that finally brought us closer to that future.

They weren't the only ones hedging this bet, however, and soon the cloud gaming fever spread to other companies and manufacturers. NVIDIA's GeForce NOW is one of the clearest examples of that venture, with its own pros and cons. But now we have a new, promising competitor in this field: Google, which announced yesterday the birth of the so-called "Project Stream". As the name suggests, this initiative is intended to offer end users the possibility of playing any game from any device and with only one requirement: to have access to the Google Chrome browser.

The initial launch has been specially striking thanks to Google's alliance with Ubisoft. This collaboration has resulted in a demonstration in which users can enjoy Assassin's Creed: Odyssey directly through their Chrome browser and without the need for a powerful PC or a console and all the hardware resources that these machines provide.

It seems obvious that Google streaming goes beyond than YouTube in terms of user interactivity. In its blog post announcing Project Stream, Google's managers explained how "the idea of streaming such graphically-rich content that requires near-instant interaction between the game controller and the graphics on the screen poses a number of challenges" and pointed out that "when streaming TV or movies, consumers are comfortable with a few seconds of buffering at the start, but streaming high-quality games requires latency measured in milliseconds, with no graphic degradation".

This is, of course, one of the great obstacles that companies banking on cloud gaming will have to overcome. In the demo video above, you can see how Ubisoft's game runs without apparent problems at 1080p and 60 fps, and Google indicates that you can expect that performance for users with a home internet connection of at least 25 megabits per second. We do not yet know how the responsiveness is going to vary from region to region as this point, of course. To get a chance to participate in this initial test phase, Google requires that you are 17 years or older and live in the US, have an internet connection speed of at least 25 Mbps down, a controller or keyboard and mouse, along with accounts for Google, Chrome and Ubisoft. If this is valid and you want to apply, you can do so on the sign-up page here.

This announcement makes even more sense combined with the rumors that appeared months ago talking about Project Yeti that point to a future Google-branded gaming console. This console could therefore be the other element of a strategy that would combine a modest hardware device with the utilization of this GaaS (Gaming-as-a-Service) platform. Demonstrating the technology with an AAA game like this one seems to suggest that the future that people once dreamed of with OnLive might not be too far away.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Google accounts are the same on anything google, so only would really be google and ubisoft account.

Processor Intel core i5 4590s
Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cooling Evercool EC115A 915SP Cpu cooler,Coolermaster [200mm (front and top)+140mm rear]
Memory Corsair 16GB(4x4) ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9(Ver8.16)(XMP)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage Western Digital WDC WD2001FAS 2TB Black, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron L177WSB
Case Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) Creative A550 Speakers 5.1 channel
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex 2 Gold 650W SF-650F14EG
Mouse PLNK M-740 Optical Mouse
Keyboard ibuypower GKB100 Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Sp1 64 bit
Google will kill it in a few months like everything else they develop

System Name dell beast
Processor dual Xeon x5675
Motherboard dell t7500
Cooling stock
Memory 48gb ecc ddr3
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7870 Myst 2gb
Storage 2tb hpe ssd
Display(s) asus 23.8" 1080p
Case t7500
Audio Device(s) XFI soundblaster
Power Supply 1200watt dell
Mouse logitech
Keyboard logitech
Software win10x64
i concur about it being short lived. very few 'cool' products ever stay alive anymore from google's think tank.

That's been the case with every (software) developer or hardware manufacturer, since ~ well forever.
i concur about it being short lived. very few 'cool' products ever stay alive anymore from google's think tank.
See above.

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64

Google likes to do a
and show off their talent!
Then everyone then goes

However, after a little bit of time passes they get tired of showing us the same thing over and over again. They start telling management

Then management comes by and sees the team sitting there, not playing with their shiny new toys anymore and gives them something new to play with.

Like the article says, considering OnLive did this in 2010 (just with a client instead of Chrome) I would hope a behemoth like Google could do this 8 years later. Like others said, we're still waiting on all sorts of other Google think tank projects like nationwide Fiber, autonomous cars, etc. etc. etc. I'm all for thinking ideas on how to improve human life. But it needs to be a bit more SpaceX and a little less vaporware (ie results).

OnLive was ahead of it's time and needed for global broadband tech to catch up, at least to the point that the average internet service lowest-common-denominator started to edge up into the territory of making game streaming practical. I think it's slowly getting there now. The catch is that I still think it's a ways off. Personally, I have Gigabit but I'm a techie. I talk to soooo many people that just go with whatever package is cheapest and go with 10-20 Mb service for a whole family to share. Not to mention in most areas cable modem speeds drop like a rock in primetime as TV streaming hits peak time.

Is it "good enough" for most people yet? Maybe. I think we're still 5 years away from this really being an alternative. When 500Mb or Gig service is the norm and not just for techies, then there should be plenty of household bandwidth and variance in ISP speeds to make game streaming at decent resolutions smooth.

The next question after that I guess is, is there really a big incentive for customers to buy a streamed version over a standard console or PC copy? Game devs are going to need to charge the same price, since they already don't have physical media costs if for example Ubi sells a copy through Ubisoft. It could maybe avoid the Steam cut for those sales, but even then I'm sure Google would have their own overhead cost to Ubi for hosting this. And again from a customer standpoint PS5 and the next gen Xbox (if there is one, which I'm not convinced of yet) they will almost certainly have their own streaming capability in that gen. Having a target demo of people with fast internet service but no money for a $200 console or a gaming PC, seems like a pretty narrow niche to be aiming for, which increases the odds of this ending up in the Google vaporware pile.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

Don't be saying that, they will need their safe space if people start talking like that.

Anyways, advertising is their business and pretty sure i be 110% none interested in hidden or shown advertising.

They can put this were the sun don't shine.

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
U.S.A. only....