• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Announces Surface Headphones- Wireless, Noise-Cancelling, and.. Cortana

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Alongside refreshes galore to their Surface hardware lineup of laptops, all-in-one devices and convertible PCs, Microsoft did have a surprise announcement as part of their media event earlier today. This included a whole new product genre under the Surface brand in the form of headphones.

The new Surface headphones join the current trend of audiophile-rated wireless headphones, which sounds like a misnomer in itself, and comes with 13 levels of noise cancellation with 8 microphones for the process controlled via an adjustment dial as per Anandtech. This is an over-the-ear style headphones offering beam-forming for hands-free calling and Cortana support for when you want to use Microsoft's take on the virtual assistant. Pairing via Bluetooth and coming in the now-standard Surface gray color scheme, the Surface headphones are priced at $349 and will be available later this year.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I know it’s cynical, but I have a hard time showing any interest in anything wearable from MS. Band 2 was awesome technically, except for the horrible build quality, and then they killed it entirely. Are we supposed to trust that they can make headphones now and support them for years? Does it work with Xbox? Knowing MS, it probably doesn’t.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
The problem with Cortana is that it seems to be in halfdead, halfdevelopment stage.
And, of course, totally useless in most of the world.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I know it’s cynical, but I have a hard time showing any interest in anything wearable from MS. Band 2 was awesome technically, except for the horrible build quality, and then they killed it entirely. Are we supposed to trust that they can make headphones now and support them for years? Does it work with Xbox? Knowing MS, it probably doesn’t.

The first band one was the one that was shitty the second pretty much solved all the complaints. Judging by your comment the stigma unduly carried over to the Band 2, so it makes since for them to kill it. My one gripe that carried over was that the band aren't replaceable and overtime all the knicks and whatnot stack up and the whole thing needs to be replaced when the wrist straps go bad.

System Name Dreamstation2
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Aorus 2080 Ti Turbo (sounds like a vaccum cleaner at full load)
Storage 2 x 1TB M.2 NVME + 1TB 2.5" SSD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 4k
Case NZXT H500i
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50x / Edifier R1855DB
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Microsoft Announces Surface Headphones - ok with me, riding the "surface" brand train
Wireless -
ok with me, Apple, Samsung and other brands say wireless is the future and the 3.5mm jack must die.
Noise-Cancelling - ok with me.
and.. Cortana - hell no!!! I have my desktop PC, laptop and smartphone spying on me, now my headphones???

Also, for US$ 350 there certainly are better alternatives from brands that actually develop and manufacture audio equipment instead of modifying some cheap chinese product and adding useless software to it.
I would rather buy the anti-audiophile, bragging rights Beats Studio3 Wireless for the same price. I've never tried them but I'm sure they look better and reproduce sound better than this useless MSFT product.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
The first band one was the one that was shitty the second pretty much solved all the complaints. Judging by your comment the stigma unduly carried over to the Band 2, so it makes since for them to kill it. My one gripe that carried over was that the band aren't replaceable and overtime all the knicks and whatnot stack up and the whole thing needs to be replaced when the wrist straps go bad.
I never owned the first Band, but I gave Band 2 a try. I loved the device, but the straps failed almost immediately. First band tore after 3 months, and it’s warranty replacement failed even sooner. The third replacement I received went immediately to eBay. Some will argue abuse, but I’ve been wearing the same Series 0 Apple Watch for 2 years with no quality issues whatsoever.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I never owned the first Band, but I gave Band 2 a try. I loved the device, but the straps failed almost immediately. First band tore after 3 months, and it’s warranty replacement failed even sooner. The third replacement I received went immediately to eBay. Some will argue abuse, but I’ve been wearing the same Series 0 Apple Watch for 2 years with no quality issues whatsoever.

That's a fair point and ouch, I bought mine second hand and got a year and a couple months out of it, I would've looked to replace but MS already had announced they were killing Band and had long stopped supporting the their band app.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro

That goes for Kinect. I know it gets a lot of hate, but support for it has all but dropped. Would be pretty useful on my PC with TV actually, but I don't want to invest in anything dead. Not sure what other webcam and mic would pick up as well from a distance though.