• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel kills off the 10nm process - For real??????

If we're doing history lessons, Core was an evolution of the Pentium-M at the time. Would you venture a guess about where their next answer to AMD will be coming from?
Honestly, my theory above about a new substrate material is the best I have to offer. It's well known that most IC makers have been looking for an advancement in that area and it's likely to be the answer to the problem of Moore's law(which is less a law and more a theory). Beyond that I have no idea.

And looking at things from a slightly different perspective, a rushed response followed by a more adequate one is what you always do when you get caught with your pants down. I mean, when Core hit, AMD had to regurgitate Bulldozer designs till they got to Zen. It's a pattern.
You're thinking of K10, Bulldozer didn't come along until 2011, but your point is valid. This pattern of advancements has been happening for decades and will likely continue.

Last edited:
Reactions: bug
Very doubtful. Seems like fear mongering created by well placed fanboys. Intel is working on an answer to Ryzen. They're as likely to give up on 10nm as the Sun is likely to stop shining tomorrow.
Charlie at SA is more accurate & knowledgeable than your avg fanboy, not to mention he has his sources well placed & well informed within the industry.

Right & I know which of these is happening 100% tomorrow, the other one has at best 50/50 odds.

Charlie at SA is more accurate & knowledgeable than your avg fanboy, not to mention he has his sources well placed & well informed within the industry.
Maybe that's true, but it doesn't mean they're as accurate as they need to be to be taken seriously. And as Intel has been making strides in many areas of the industry, the idea that they're giving up or slowing down is a silly one that lacks credibility.. It would be like saying AMD has hit a brick wall with Ryzen not being able to get beyond 4.2ghz stable and is giving up. It's just nonsense. Both companies will forge ahead and continue advancement.

Maybe that's true, but it doesn't mean they're as accurate as they need to be to be taken seriously. And as Intel has been making strides in many areas of the industry, the idea that they're giving up or slowing down is a silly one that lacks credibility..
They're going for 7nm, presumably with EUV. So they're not stopping for sure, slowing down compared to their own pace of development years ago. They also have enough market share & profits to weather this particular storm, having said that even at 7nm they'll need something of a Hail Mary to turn their fumbling fab business around.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I have a hard time to believe this as well. If true, there is no other way to put it : they fucked up big time.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm sure if some outlet said Intel is secretly just some flea market operation based in a ghetto neighborhood, some people would actually believe it.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Or they are renaming it to 7nm, which makes sense since 10nm Intel process is on par with TSMC's 7nm. Better marketing

Honest question, how could they get away with something like that if that were the case? I was under the impression that the node rating is an actual measurement of the gate size. If the gate size is 10nm, you can't simply call it 7nm. I mean I guess they could just lie... but fab process isn't "marketing." It's an actual measurement. I'm sure there would be some legal implications if they did that.

And what does "10nm Intel process is on par with TSMC's 7nm" mean? Either the gate width is 10nm or 7nm. You can't say that 10nm is on par with 7 nm. It doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Even if it's just next year, a delay is not giving up. It's just a delay.

Honestly it's nothing "just" about it at this point. They should be nervous. The strain is definitely showing.

Which we can't, so the whole debate is superfluous.
Do you, for instance take Videocardz leaks seriously? I bet their hit rate is just about the same what Charlie delivers, that is to say in terms of speculation this is no better or worse.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Made me laugh a little. Reminds me of the Pentium 4 days. That design was stagnating so bad the only thing they could do was to add a second die and call it a dual core. While that worked it was just a stop-gap solution until the Core/Core2 design released. The last 18 months are mirroring those same events. AMD forges ahead with a great performance lineup, and Intel answers later with a breakthrough. History seems to be repeating with a few interesting changes. Intel is working on an answer to Ryzen. You can bet your life on it. How good an answer it will be, who knows..

That brings back memories. P4 sucked ass, then all of a sudden people were staggered by the intel laptop chips that seemed to blow the P4's away! Not long after, the Core desktop chips came out, based on that architecture. And Intel was back in the game again.

AMD had the on-die memory controller that still kept them in the game... until the i7 came out.

Now Ryzen, and intel is feverishly working on an answer. 10nm is a fabrication problem and it will be solved, who knows when, and like you say, who knows how good it'll really be?

At the end of the day, you've got to love competition!

Do you, for instance take Videocardz leaks seriously? I bet their hit rate is just about the same what Charlie delivers, that is to say in terms of speculation this is no better or worse.
Not really. Rumors are just rumors and not to be taken seriously until supported with verifiable evidence. Rumors can be fun & interesting to read about and also can be fun to debate as long as people don't get angry about it.

The strain is definitely showing.
No it isn't. Intel is experiencing very high sales and demand. They're not at all strained with anything other than supply shortages.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Not really. Rumors are just rumors and not to be taken seriously until supported with verifiable evidence. Rumors can be fun & interesting to read about and also can be fun to debate as long as people don't get angry about it.

No it isn't. Intel is experiencing very high sales and demand. They're not at all strained with anything other than supply shortages.

It is always wise to see what a rumor is really made of. And having read the SemiAccurate piece front to back, there are very plausible arguments put forward and echoed over the past few years. If you look at the time line of quotes they put at the beginning of the article, and I know all of them from when they were hot news, it falls into place nicely.

We also know recent Intel changes such as moving people around, readjusting their fab budgets etc. You don't publish such major shifts because '10nm is on track'. You do it because you're adjusting to a new reality - in other words - a change at the strategic level.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
It's hardly fumbling when they're expanding production due to having a hard time keeping up with sales demands;
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ireland-to-increase-processor-volumes.248764/
They're struggling to replace all those ,now unwanted server chips that have spectre and co flaws... .
Or do you believe Aws Google and co are fine with Intel's reassurances.
And
They're not working on graphene or arsenic based chips yet because they are theoretically a swap for silicon , graphenes bandgap issues require more work yet and the others just in material research labs atm , neither has anything in place yet to make all the things a chip needs , workable bandgap, or any components designed and verified.

Chip's are made with science not just dave and john messing about in a workshop out back, they're year's away , hence why 5nm is being worked on, silicon is the thing for at least another 7 year's probably 10.

@Vayra86 Bang on , exactly what I should have said.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Last edited:
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Except this just happened;

So, these untrue rumors turn out to be just that and Mr. Charlie was just making a lackluster theory based on poor information.
And what did intel Say every other time charlie called them out about their Rock solid 10nm plans??

They do have 10nm in some laptops, with discrete graphics yet no desktop and now rumours it's dead.

10nm isn't and never will now be ,economically viable for intel ,for some reason the shit yeilds they Are getting are not only so bad it won't ramp right(3years) but the designs Are Not working as intended (Gpu dead is the assumption based on smoke and mirrors).

That's not a workable situation and if they don't ditch it and move on they're going to get truly left behind by other foundries namely tsmc , Samsung shit even glofo has tech now intel would love to have ,all while they're working out the Wrinkles on 10nm.

Intel are going to be fine, for a bit but not with 10nm ,all my opinions on it though.

But on your opinion of Charlie and his site, wow you don't visit it do you, it's piss poor, hardly ever a new post ,first in a week ,that one ,im not paying his fee though so might be busy i wouldn't know, point being ,it is not for clicks , and if you read it the posts he lists he Was right.

Last edited: