• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The New Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ is Here: Smaller, Cheaper, But With Compromises

The original Raspberry Pi showed the world that we could have (almost) a computer for $35. This little prodigy has surprised us over and over again, and their developers have now announced the Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+, which according to them "is about closing things out in style" on the current generation of this miniPC. The new version has shrunk down the previous Model B+ both in size and in price: it is now available for just $25. To accomplish that we'll have to live with certain comprises.

The new model keeps the same CPU, but halves the memory to 512 MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM, the four USB 2.0 ports are reduced to one, and there is no Ehernet port available. The rest of its connectivity options are still there, including the 802.11 ac WiFi or the Bluetooth 4.2 LE support. The new model sits therefore between the even more compact Raspberry Pi Zero W and the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ announced in March 2018. As Eben Upton explained on the official announcement, the next Raspberry Pi will be quite different from the current generation: "whatever we do next will of necessity be less of an evolution, because it will need new core silicon, on a new process node, with new memory technology". Until that future model arrives, though, the new and compact version of the Raspberry Pi could be an interesting option for many users.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
They are becoming nvidia now with these variants.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
They are becoming nvidia now with these variants.
If you buy these in bulk (and don't need the extra connectivity and RAM), I'm sure you'll dig a 30% price decrease ;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
So they basically just cut down the size and cost by eliminating pretty much all the connectivity. Doesn't really seem worth it, IMO. If anything I would have rather seen them give us a USB2.0 Header instead of the port, so we can at least connect a front panel USB header from a computer case and get two ports instead of just the one and it would have taken up the same amount of PCB space.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
the next Raspberry Pi will be quite different from the current generation: "whatever we do next will of necessity be less of an evolution, because it will need new core silicon, on a new process node, with new memory technology".
What a big load of bullshit. They will keep milking that cow with outdated and underspecced hardware until one of the chinese companies decides to invest some time and effort into a long-term software support.
While competition already offers onboard eMMC storage, USB3.0, 1-2GB RAM, and real GbE, this piece of crap is still the same old SD-only, USB2.0, old Broadcom chipset, half-a-gig to gig of DDR2, and topped off with fake Gig ethernet over USB (which may cause some issues with third-party distros, just like USB2.0 hub on my OPi Win Plus).
This is basically the same shit, only made cheaper by cutting all peripherals. Not even small enough to compete with $10 IoT boards with better specs.

Last edited:
So they basically just cut down the size and cost by eliminating pretty much all the connectivity. Doesn't really seem worth it, IMO. If anything I would have rather seen them give us a USB2.0 Header instead of the port, so we can at least connect a front panel USB header from a computer case and get two ports instead of just the one and it would have taken up the same amount of PCB space.
It's not a matter of connector, the cpu only handle one usb port, on the 3b+ version the ethernet and additionnal usb port are handled by a usb hub (with integrated ethernet)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

You're aware that the Broadcom made SoC they use only supports one native USB interface, right? So what you want would require a USB hub, which is what they removed, although one combined with an Ethernet controller as well. The Wi-Fi is via SDIO.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
What a big load of bullshit. They will keep milking that cow with outdated and underspecced hardware until one of the chinese companies decides to invest some time and effort into a long-term software support.
While competition already offers onboard eMMC storage, USB3.0, 1-2GB RAM, and real GbE, this piece of crap is still the same old SD-only, USB2.0, old Broadcom chipset, half-a-gig to gig of DDR2, and topped off with fake Gig ethernet over USB (which may cause some issues with third-party distros, just like USB2.0 hub on my OPi Win Plus).
This is basically the same shit, only made cheaper by cutting all peripherals. Not even small enough to compete with $10 IoT boards with better specs.

Basically this. I was super excited for the first generation, which was good, but I was super broke at the time so I never got one, and after that it has never been worth it. I look at them from time to time (my interests shifted a bit) but they've never appealed and they're just dissapointing. Plus they are so popular, despite everything, they never ever come down in price and even used ones cost more than new boards with better specs.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Basically this. I was super excited for the first generation, which was good, but I was super broke at the time so I never got one, and after that it has never been worth it. I look at them from time to time (my interests shifted a bit) but they've never appealed and they're just dissapointing. Plus they are so popular, despite everything, they never ever come down in price and even used ones cost more than new boards with better specs.
The last one I bought was an RPi2 when it just came out. There was some kind of early sale at Element14, so I got it for $25. At its normal price I would've settled on some NanoPi board or Pine A64, which was the shit at the time (quad-core, 2GB RAM, eMMC, tons of I/O, same price).
Sold it a few months later and bought my current OrangePi Win Plus without losing a penny in the process.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
It's not a matter of connector, the cpu only handle one usb port, on the 3b+ version the ethernet and additionnal usb port are handled by a usb hub (with integrated ethernet)
You're aware that the Broadcom made SoC they use only supports one native USB interface, right? So what you want would require a USB hub, which is what they removed, although one combined with an Ethernet controller as well. The Wi-Fi is via SDIO.

Yes, I'm aware, but I'm also aware of how small and cheap USB hub chips have gotten. IMO they could have fit the chip on the board if they had switch to a header and the dollar or so extra for the chip would have been worth it.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Yes, I'm aware, but I'm also aware of how small and cheap USB hub chips have gotten. IMO they could have fit the chip on the board if they had switch to a header and the dollar or so extra for the chip would have been worth it.
I got one better: drop Broadcom as an exclusive partner and get an adequate SoC. Like a dirt-cheap Allwinner H6 which runs circles around bcm2837, or Samsung, or Amlogic, or even an entry-level Qualcomm.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
In the volumes they sell, it would be more like 50 cents...

I got one better: drop Broadcom as an exclusive partner and get an adequate SoC. Like a dirt-cheap Allwinner H6 which runs circles around bcm2837, or Samsung, or Amlogic, or even an entry-level Qualcomm.

The H6 had very poor Linux support, a bodged PCIe interface and little to no manufacturer support. So another flawed product. Amlogic aren't big on Linux or openness. Samsung, maybe, but why would they care? Qualcomm, possibly after the merger with NXP, as long as you don't mind paying twice as much for the board.

Biggest problem is still going to be graphics and video drivers, as they're all proprietary. This is the one common flaw in all these boards.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
The H6 had very poor Linux support
Armbian w/ 4.18 is available, and issues are not that critical (even my desktop loses USB3.0 devices on occasion).
S905 also has decent support with stable releases based off 4.xx kernel
All with hardware acceleration.
Qualcomm is more expensive (though not as expensive as you think), but I'm sure they will dump their leftover 410 in bulk no problem, otherwise we wouldn't have those cheap-ass chinese phones sporting authentic Qualcomm SoCs. Just an example: a Dragonboard costs 75 green piastres, and an ugly Lenovo K3 knock-off costs 75 american rubles. A phone includes an LCD display, plastic housing, bunch of other parts and is generally harder to make. So, realistically they can make a $50 dev board based on this chip and still make good profit. You may argue that they can't make it happen in UK and have to outsource to China, but they had been doing that since RPi2 days anyways.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Armbian w/ 4.18 is available, and issues are not that critical (even my desktop loses USB3.0 devices on occasion).
S905 also has decent support with stable releases based off 4.xx kernel
All with hardware acceleration.
Qualcomm is more expensive (though not as expensive as you think), but I'm sure they will dump their leftover 410 in bulk no problem, otherwise we wouldn't have those cheap-ass chinese phones sporting authentic Qualcomm SoCs. Just an example: a Dragonboard costs 75 green piastres, and an ugly Lenovo K3 knock-off costs 75 american rubles. A phone includes an LCD display, plastic housing, bunch of other parts and is generally harder to make. So, realistically they can make a $50 dev board based on this chip and still make good profit. You may argue that they can't make it happen in UK and have to outsource to China, but they had been doing that since RPi2 days anyways.

Considering it barely works on the H5, do you really expect a community built Linux OS is going to work on a fairly new chip straight away?
Sorry, but it doesn't. The basics might work, but it's not at an acceptable level imho.

Hardware acceleration for? Video playback? Great, but does it support all the codecs? Does the GPU work with full 3D acceleration? I guess not.

It's not about what I think, it's what I know. Also, to work with Qualcomm, you need to order large number of chips, which a lot of businesses can't do. Personally I don't want to touch the 410, but that might be a not so expensive part at least. Do they do video/graphics drivers for Linux though? Not even asking for open source, just working drivers on parity with Android.

The funny thing is, phones are cheap, ARM based boards somehow are not as soon as you glance at Qualcomm, I don't know why.

I'm about to help launch a new development board that won't be super cheap either, but at least we've done our best to provide modern software with 4.18.x, rather than 4.4 or some other old crap. It's a bit of a different idea behind the boards as well, as the target isn't educational use as the RPi. However, as it's from a smaller company, the price isn't that competitive, so we'll see if it works out.

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
well i am fine now ... my less recent Odroid C2 is still going strong, i bought numerous Pi : 2 3B 3B+ ... none of them (inclusive the latest one the 3B+) did challenge the board from Hardkernel ... plus it is said that the C2 ought to be 10-15$ more expensive, although it would be fine given the performance of that board, but it's not really pricier than a Pi 3B+ where i live, ok it lacks WiFi and BT but still works flawlessly with a dongle and also it's faster on LAN.

the only issue would be "Made In Korea" instead of "Made In Uk" :laugh:

edit, forgot to add: at last the C2 didn't give me a hard time with a perfectly stable 5V/2.5A power supply, the 3B+ was drawing more even at idle and when working it would show "insufficient current input" logo under Libreelec, and the SOC was heating up ... so much for the new metal heatspreader and better regulation of the SOC (via another dedicated chip) plus in Wlan it was slower on his own AC WLAN than with a USB AC dongle ... :roll:

201608290940175904.jpgC2BoardDetail_HR.jpg

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Considering it barely works on the H5, do you really expect a community built Linux OS is going to work on a fairly new chip straight away?
Sorry, but it doesn't. The basics might work, but it's not at an acceptable level imho.
Well, I was watching some OPi Lite 2 reviews (direct competitor to this new Pi) and stumbled upon some interesting data. All in all, h.264 and h.265 works as expected. Apparently it also features a full-fledged HDMI 2.0a interface (4K60Hz and HDR!).
Haven't seen any data on 3D acceleration, but I see no reason why it should not work. T720 was around long before H6 was even released.
The only problematic ARM GPU is the old and beat-up Mali 400 MP/MP2. Awhile ago I had a Cubietruck w/ A20 SoC onboard and I had to wait for over a year to get proper H/W acceleration on linux. That one still has issues.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

Those guys were given chips at cost from AllWinner, in fact some of them were ex AllWinner people. Unfortunately they went bust early this year.

Well, I was watching some OPi Lite 2 reviews (direct competitor to this new Pi) and stumbled upon some interesting data. All in all, h.264 and h.265 works as expected. Apparently it also features a full-fledged HDMI 2.0a interface (4K60Hz and HDR!).
Haven't seen any data on 3D acceleration, but I see no reason why it should not work. T720 was around long before H6 was even released.
The only problematic ARM GPU is the old and beat-up Mali 400 MP/MP2. Awhile ago I had a Cubietruck w/ A20 SoC onboard and I had to wait for over a year to get proper H/W acceleration on linux. That one still has issues.

Uhm, that's running Android, not Linux... AllWinner has Android drivers, but not Linux drivers.