• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Third Quarter Fiscal 2019

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA today reported revenue for the third quarter ended Oct. 28, 2018, of $3.18 billion, up 21 percent from $2.64 billion a year earlier, and up 2 percent from $3.12 billion in the previous quarter. GAAP earnings per diluted share for the quarter were $1.97, up 48 percent from $1.33 a year ago and up 12 percent from $1.76 in the previous quarter. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share were $1.84, up 38 percent from $1.33 a year earlier and down 5 percent from $1.94 in the previous quarter.

"AI is advancing at an incredible pace across the world, driving record revenues for our datacenter platforms," said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. "Our introduction of Turing GPUs is a giant leap for computer graphics and AI, bringing the magic of real-time ray tracing to games and the biggest generational performance improvements we have ever delivered.

"Our near-term results reflect excess channel inventory post the crypto-currency boom, which will be corrected. Our market position and growth opportunities are stronger than ever. During the quarter, we launched new platforms to extend our architecture into new growth markets - RAPIDS for machine learning, RTX Server for film rendering, and the T4 Cloud GPU for hyperscale and cloud."

Capital Return
During the first nine months of fiscal 2019, NVIDIA returned $1.13 billion to shareholders through a combination of $855 million in share repurchases and $273 million in quarterly cash dividends.

In November 2018, the board of directors authorized an additional $7 billion under the company's share repurchase program for a total of $7.94 billion available through the end of December 2022.

NVIDIA announced a 7 percent increase in its quarterly cash dividend to $0.16 per share from $0.15 per share, to be paid with its next quarterly cash dividend on December 21, 2018, to all shareholders of record on November 30, 2018.

NVIDIA intends to return an additional $3 billion to shareholders by the end of fiscal 2020, which may begin in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2019.

NVIDIA's outlook for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2019 is as follows:
  • Revenue is expected to be $2.70 billion, plus or minus 2 percent.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be 62.3 percent and 62.5 percent, respectively, plus or minus 50 basis points.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $915 million and $755 million, respectively.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP other income and expense are both expected to be income of approximately $21 million.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates are both expected to be 8 percent, plus or minus 1 percent, excluding any discrete items. GAAP discrete items include excess tax benefits or deficiencies related to stock-based compensation, which are expected to generate variability on a quarter by quarter basis.
Third Quarter Fiscal 2019 Highlights
Since its second quarter earnings release, NVIDIA has achieved progress in these areas:

Company-wide
  • Launched the revolutionary NVIDIA Turing GPU architecture, with new RT Cores to accelerate ray tracing and new Tensor Cores for AI inferencing.
  • Drew nearly 13,000 attendees to GPU Technology Conferences in Munich, Tel Aviv, Tokyo and Washington, following events in San Jose and Taipei. The company expects 30,000 total GTC attendees this year, up more than 30 percent from 2017.
Datacenter
  • Announced that the new TOP500 list of the world's fastest supercomputers shows a 48 percent jump over last year in the number of systems using NVIDIA GPU accelerators, climbing to 127, including the fastest in the world, No. 1 in the U.S., No. 1 in Europe and No. 1 in Japan.
  • Introduced RAPIDS , an open-source GPU-acceleration platform for data science and machine learning, with broad adoption from industry leaders including Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, Oracle and SAP.
  • Launched the NVIDIA T4 Cloud GPU and NVIDIA TensorRT Hyperscale Inference Platform to deliver advanced acceleration for voice, video, image and recommendation services in hyperscale datacenters. Within the first two months of its launch, the T4 received the fastest adoption of any server GPU, featuring in 57 separate designs from leading computer makers, and availability on Google Cloud Platform.
  • Launched the NVIDIA RTX Server, opening a new market to GPUs for photo-real rendering in the datacenter.
  • Unveiled the NVIDIA Clara platform, which brings AI to the next generation of medical instruments as a powerful tool for early detection, diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Gaming
  • Released the GeForce RTX series, the first gaming GPUs based on the Turing architecture and the NVIDIA RTX platform, which fuses next-generation shaders with real-time ray tracing and new AI capabilities, including Deep Learning Super-Sampling anti-aliasing.
Professional Visualization
  • Unveiled the Quadro RTX series, which is designed to revolutionize the workflow of millions of designers and artists on the desktop.
Automotive
  • Announced NVIDIA's first Level-2 autopilot design wins with Toyota, Volvo Cars and Isuzu Motors.
  • Announced that Continental and Veoneer, leading tier-1 suppliers, have each selected DRIVE AGX Xavier to power self-driving solutions to be offered early in the 2020s.
  • Announced the start of production of Xavier , the world's first single-chip autopilot SOC, and started shipping the NVIDIA DRIVE AGX Xavier developer kit.
  • Published NVIDIA's Self-Driving Safety Report, detailing the company's development processes and four fundamental pillars of safe autonomous driving.
Edge AI
  • Announced global availability of the NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier developer kit, with leading Japanese companies among the first to adopt the platform.
  • Announced that Yamaha Motor Co. will use NVIDIA to power its upcoming lineup of autonomous machines.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600 @4.65 GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG X570-E
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 6700XT 12 GB Dual
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG 23MP67HQ + LG 55 Inch 4K
Case Corsair 4000D
Power Supply CM V1000
jesus 2.png

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
Jensen Huang spinning his usual snake oil bullshit.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
750mm2 GPU at $1200 is quite a bargain. I didn't expect this outcome.

I get the point, but we shouldn't have to pay for the complexity of the physical specifics of a product but rather the practical application, in this case performance.

Golden age for tech companies.

Prices increase by 50%+ and people still buy everything no matter what.

I guess americans have too much money (because majority of money comes from USA)

D

Deleted member 67555

I guess americans have too much money (because majority of money comes from USA)
It actually comes from China... Both the money and the product.
We borrow money that our Great great grandkids will be responsible to pay back so we can buy overpriced graphics cards today..

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

I think you'll find a lot of Americans are offended by that gross misstatement. I'm not even one and I am. Companies and corporations have the wealth, the individuals generally toil away to just get by.

Don't be so short sighted with silly comments.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
System Name Dell Dimension P120
Processor Intel Pentium 120 MHz 60Mhz FSB
Motherboard Dell Pentium
Memory 24 MB EDO
Video Card(s) Matrox Millennium 2MB
Storage 1 GB EIDE HDD
Display(s) Dell 15 inch crt
Case Dell Dimension
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Mouse Microsoft mouse, no scroll wheel
Keyboard Dell 1995
Software Windows 95 + Office 95
not surprised
considering they are charging 85% more for their flagship gpu and people are still buying them...

why people are buying a card that only offers 30% improvement while costing 85% more is way beyond my comprehension

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
why people are buying a card that only offers 30% improvement while costing 85% more is way beyond my comprehension
There's an old phrase that comes to mind that fits this situation nicely... A fool and his (or her) money are soon parted.

I think you'll find a lot of Americans are offended by that gross misstatement.
I'm an American and I refuse to buy these overpriced pieces of garbage.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
not surprised
considering they are charging 85% more for their flagship gpu and people are still buying them...

Some people are willing to pay whatever the price for the latest shiny. A LOT of people, as it turns out. Just like the $1000 FX-50 processors and pentium Ds of yesteryear, or the super expensive geforce 8800 GPUs.

I think you'll find a lot of Americans are offended by that gross misstatement. I'm not even one and I am. Companies and corporations have the wealth, the individuals generally toil away to just get by.

Don't be so short sighted with silly comments.
As an american, let me tell you, there are a LOT of Americans that fit that bill. People that work for just above minimum wage, "toiling away just to get by" as you put it, who still own $1000 iphones, or owe more on their car then it was worth new. so many people pay ridiculous prices for basic things, like $1000 phones, $2000 macbooks, $80000 trucks and $50000 cars, all while racking up debt like interest rates dont exist.

Of course, this is not unique to america either. There are plenty of people the world over that outspend what they bring in.

D

Deleted member 177333

Nah don't lump us all in there man - I'm in America, and I have a ton of $, but I won't buy the 2080 Ti cards. Period. The pricing scheme is offensive to me. I will not buy it. It's about $450 overpriced per unit.

I'm glad to see NVidia's stock tanking hardcore. Had always been a fan up until this latest Turing pricing scheme. Now I hope they struggle. It's a shame AMD / ATI can't get competitive.

D

Deleted member 177333

Nice - glad to see 'em tanking.

Thing I have a hard time believing is that they're struggling to move their excess Pascal GPUs - I mean Turing sales are going to be lower because of the pricing automatically. I would think anyone with a 900-series card or older, would jump at the opportunity to grab Pascal cards if they're priced well, but maybe that's the issue - are the Pascal cards marked up in price to ridiculous amounts like Turing? If so, then NVidia are just their own worst enemies. Turing is marked up into a price range that not many folks are going venture into even if they can afford it.

Nvidia is funny. The FED monetary policy is expansionary, and Nvidia is swimming in cash, FED monetary policy is constrictionary and they cannot even move stock...
All the while it was my understanding was that research, not fool's gold, was a company's lasting wealth... Nice to see them served well, having teamed with the likes of Goldman Sachs.