• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SteamVR's Motion Smoothing Exits Beta, Enabled Now By Default on Windows 10 PCs With NVIDIA GPUs

A few weeks ago Valve developers announced a new technology called Motion Smoothing that would enable low-end GPUs to support VR games without problems. The system "looks at the last two delivered frames, estimates motion and animation, and extrapolates a new frame. Synthesizing new frames keeps the current application at full framerate, advances motion forward, and avoids judder".

Motion Smoothing has been available in Beta for some time, but the test phase has come to an end and it seems the technology is ready to enter the final, stable stage. You'll still need an HTC VIVE or HTC VIVE Pro headset -Oculus Rift and Windows Mixed Reality headset have their own display drivers with other tricks to sustain frame rates-, and the lack of AMD GPU support is somewhat disappointing, but hopefully Valve will fix this in future iterations of this technology.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Nice, VR is nearly dead. Valve Time.

Somehow this keeps my hopes up for a HL3 at some point. They're just taking a really long time, when nobody wants it anymore, they'll release it.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
The lack of AMD GPU support is more than likely AMD’s fault. They have been providing shitty driver support for VR, especially SteamVR, for a very long time now.

And yeah, keep on dreaming VR is dead

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
keep on dreaming VR is dead
VR is nearly dead

Its still on life support :)

It needs more time. The giant bulky head set, the wires, space limitations. there's enough immersion breaking hurdles ,that make it less immersive than traditional PC gameplay imo. It just needs "more". Its impressive, & cool, but a great way to determine the feasibility of a given product is to apply the "razor and blade" model to it hypothetically & honesty think if it would survive.

If you're unfamiliar, the "razor and blades" model is when you provide the main item at a minimal to no-cost, and have refillable items which is where you actually make your money that are required for the main item to function . Very similar to printers and printer ink. You can often get a decent printer for $50 or less, and they're often sold at a loss or low profit, because manufacturers know they can sell ink at a ridiculously high mark up (which is why there are now chips in ink cartridges to determine if they are "genuine ink" since if you buy your ink from another seller the company that footed the bill on the printer wont make its money),because what good is a printer without ink ? Just like shaving razors, so hence the name

so ,if you were to apply that method to VR right now ,do you really think it would do well? Let's just say that all the equipment required to get a capable gaming PC up and running in VR costed $50 , but the games would cost $150, or $100 ,how many games do you think VRbuyers would purchase ,before they said "nah this isnt worth it"? I would be genuinely surprised if consumers bought a second title beyond the first

But that's just my opinion

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
The lack of AMD GPU support is more than likely AMD’s fault. They have been providing shitty driver support for VR, especially SteamVR, for a very long time now.
It's not that at all.
Valve is simply using NVidia's recent frame interpolation algo for generating slo-mo or high-FPS videos from low-FPS source.
Basically, minimal work, minimal R&D, and ready-to-use inference algorithm (just a slightly different application).
I mean this, but in real-time:

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit

It needs more time. The giant bulky head set, the wires, space limitations. there's enough immersion breaking hurdles ,that make it less immersive than traditional PC gameplay imo. It just needs "more". Its impressive, & cool, but a great way to determine the feasibility of a given product is to apply the "razor and blade" model to it hypothetically & honesty think if it would survive.

If you're unfamiliar, the "razor and blades" model is when you provide the main item at a minimal to no-cost, and have refillable items which is where you actually make your money that are required for the main item to function . Very similar to printers and printer ink. You can often get a decent printer for $50 or less, and they're often sold at a loss or low profit, because manufacturers know they can sell ink at a ridiculously high mark up (which is why there are now chips in ink cartridges to determine if they are "genuine ink" since if you buy your ink from another seller the company that footed the bill on the printer wont make its money),because what good is a printer without ink ? Just like shaving razors, so hence the name

so ,if you were to apply that method to VR right now ,do you really think it would do well? Let's just say that all the equipment required to get a capable gaming PC up and running in VR costed $50 , but the games would cost $150, or $100 ,how many games do you think VRbuyers would purchase ,before they said "nah this isnt worth it"? I would be genuinely surprised if consumers bought a second title beyond the first

Interesting but I'm not sure applying a vexing ill conceived business model such as what you outline with the "razor and blades" initiative ever really works well from the consumer side.

If one could have a free or low cost GTX 1080 Ti, Titan or RTX 2080 Ti video card but couldn't use it to run any existing games; rather one could only use these new cards with new ~$150 title games,....how many would go for that gleefully,.....!?! Not many I would wager.

You see, apply this model to just about anything and you'll get consumer resentment. People have a tendency to pick up on when they are being subjected to predatory business practices (if not immediately then eventually).

FWIW, with printers I would buy ~$30 to ~$40 inkjet printers and give them away when the ink ran out. Then start the cycle over again. Until I found a printer I really liked that is.

Also, for what its worth, it is rumored that Valve will be releasing a new HMD at cost. Whatever, that cost miay be.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Razor and blades model, I love it. Scored a few dozen 'Your First Shave' Gilette promotionals the other day, Im set for 2019 :D

But it won't be working for VR. They'll never give away HMDs so this razor and blade model... Im not seeing it. All I see is overpriced razors... and the blades go dull after one or two runs.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
It's not that at all.
Valve is simply using NVidia's recent frame interpolation algo for generating slo-mo or high-FPS videos from low-FPS source.
Basically, minimal work, minimal R&D, and ready-to-use inference algorithm (just a slightly different application).
I mean this, but in real-time:

Bluray software already does this by creating frames using my AMD card from awhile ago. It also sharpens, denoises, and corrects the color. All those slowdowns are something already done with movie software, their implementation just for VR looks blurry and shitty.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 674
System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
THis sounds a lot like interpolation like what those TV's from the 2011's called 120hz when in fact they're really just 60hz using interpolation or frame buffering.

INput lag Garbage!

Why don't they use Variable refresh rates? Like Freesync or Gsync?

System Name Little Bear
Processor Inten 3770K @4.4Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASRock Extreme4-M
Cooling Thermalright Macho120 Rev.A
Memory 4x4GB Samsung LP DDR3 @ 1866MHz 9-9-9-28
Video Card(s) Radeon R9 290
Storage 256GB Samsung SSD 830 + 1TB SSD 840 EVO + 2.5in 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Dell U2711
Case Silverstong SG10
Audio Device(s) USB SB Omni
Power Supply Enermax Modu 82+ 620w
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I had to turn off the motion smoothing feature because it was causing visual artifacts in Elite Dangerous. Specifically I was seeing motion overshoot issues in the contrasting menu highlight bar when I moved it around. It was massively annoying and was causing extra eye strain.