• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSA: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" on Windows October 2018 Update and How To Fix It

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
For those doing a fresh install of Microsoft's latest Windows 10 operating system (version 1809 October 2018 Update), you may encounter an issue with NVIDIA graphics drivers. Namely, a message may pop up when you install the graphics driver, telling you "The standard NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows". The issue is caused by the operating system automatically installing the GeForce 398.36 DCH graphics driver through Windows Update, immediately after first log-on. DCH drivers are also known as "Universal Windows Driver", "UWD", "DCHU", and "Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support App", and leverage the Windows UWP platform for driver control panels while promising simpler updates and maintainability.

If networking is available during the Windows 10 installation, the operating system will automatically look for a graphics driver on Windows Update, which is a good thing, as it simplifies the setup process for the majority of users. At this point, everything will appear to be fine, however, once you attempt to update from that driver to the newest version from NVIDIA's driver download page, the error will appear. This is highly frustrating for some users, who have been reporting the issue on several online forums, including NVIDIA's own, with little attention paid thus far from their developers. We encountered the problem ourselves today, during the setup of our 2019 SSD review benchmarking install and got motivated to investigate this further.

Fixing the problem has proven difficult for some. However, a few methods are available which are reasonably straightforward. The first, and probably best, option is to avoid it altogether by disconnecting the PC from any network during OS install, thus blocking Windows from downloading the graphics driver via Windows Update, and manually installing the GeForce driver from USB media or driver disc, before networking is made available to Windows. Windows Update will not replace any existing driver with a DCH driver, so everything will be fine from here on- provided you are starting with a fresh install.

For some this may not be possible, in which case you can use the NVIDIA GeForce Experience app to bypass the problem as well. This method works as it is able to grab a DCH version of the driver, thus avoiding any potential conflicts. Apparently NVIDIA is releasing DCH drivers already, but they are not accessible through their official driver download page for GeForce at the time of this posting. The professional Quadro drivers do have a dropdown for "Windows Driver Type", listing options "Standard" and "DCH". Going with GeForce Experience does mean that you have to make an NVIDIA account and send telemetry to the company, something many users want to avoid; and for the next driver update you'll need to use GFE again, because your stuck with DCH drivers.

Another option that we've seen recommended in some places is to try and use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) before attempting installation of the downloaded driver. However, while it did fix the problem for us, this nuclear option resulted in a strange corruption of the Windows Driver Manager, which meant an OS reinstall anyway.

To check whether you have the DCH NVIDIA graphics driver installed on your system, you can use Regedit to check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm for a value called "DCHUVen". If it is present you are currently running an NVIDIA UWD/DCH driver.

We spent a few hours tinkering with the issue on multiple hardware configurations, and figured out a method that properly removes the DCH driver, letting you install the downloaded driver with ease. The biggest obstacle is that when you uninstall the DCH driver normally, it won't be gone from the system until you reboot, so you have to reboot before the NVIDIA Installer will work. Unfortunately, Windows Update will kick in right after reboot and reinstall the UWD driver that you just removed, blocking the NVIDIA Installer once again.

Our method is the following:

• Go to Device Manager, open the NVIDIA graphics adapter, go to "Details" and select "Inf Name". Make note of the value, which in our case is "oem6.inf", but this will differ between systems, so don't skip this step.
  • Now open a command prompt with administrative privileges (Press Windows key, type "cmd", right-click, select "Run as Administrator".
  • Next, type the following command into the command prompt "pnputil /delete-driver oemX.inf /uninstall", replace "X" with the number you got from the first step (in our case we use oem6.inf).
  • The last step is to run "sc delete nvlddmkm" in the same command prompt, which properly removes the leftovers of the NVIDIA DCH driver.
  • Now you can download and install the NVIDIA driver without any problems, no reboot is needed through all these steps. We recommend doing a custom installation of the driver at this point, with the "clean install" option activated, to make sure all leftovers are removed.

Sadly, it seems that issues such as this could become more common as a result of such a fragmented driver release program. A quick Google search of "NVIDIA DCH" brings up numerous forum posts and threads with disgruntled users wondering why drivers will not install, and typically end unresolved with no real reason or explanation given other than the fact it is not compatible, and that GeForce Experience is recommended.

At this point, it may be prudent for NVIDIA to switch to the newer style of device driver or at least support the option for users to manually download a DCH version. The use of GeForce Experience to merely update a graphics card driver feels a bit heavy-handed and certainly doesn't leave us feeling happy about having to sign into yet another app to get a working driver because Windows Update forced us to do so.

Taking things a step further, we also explored NVIDIA's control panel app in the Microsoft Store. Once installed, if you try to run the app, it will tell you the drivers that were manually installed are not compatible, and will direct you to the NVIDIA driver page to download an updated driver. Funnily enough, the application wants a DCH driver but will then point you to the regular drivers which, as you may have guessed, results in the app not working.

Have any of you encountered this "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" issue and need help with it? Let us know in the comments below if our method worked for you, and help spread the word to others affected by sharing the post.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It seems to me that nVidia needs to automate the process of switching from the DCH driver to the normal driver whenever you run the normal driver's installer.

more like using that cloud based malware service called windows 10 . [lol...] so are folks with real operating systems having this issue ? [win-7 / Linux ]

Had the same issue with my GTX 1070 and a fresh installed windows. I made an other trick.

First install Geforce Experience and then let Experience download and install the latest driver. That worked fine.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Had the same issue with my GTX 1070 and a fresh installed windows. I made an other trick.

First install Geforce Experience and then let Experience download and install the latest driver. That worked fine.

Yeah, that should work, because GFE has access to the latest drivers in DCH form. But nVidia doesn't put those drivers out on their website.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
OR block the crappy 1809 update which has seen nothing but tons of problem

Dux

I did a fresh install of win 10 yesterday. Windows downloaded and installed the ancient geforce 388 drivers. So ofc i uninstalled them with DDU in safe mode, turned off automatic driver installation of drivers by windows and installed the latest ones from geforce. No problems.

more like using that cloud based malware service called windows 10 . [lol...] so are folks with real operating systems having this issue ? [win-7 / Linux ]

This! Windows 10 is one of the worst Windows imo, but people are using it as microsoft basically "forced" upgrades for free. The OS is terrible. Windows 7 is smoother and has more stability.

Reactions: Dux
System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
All these people having issues with 1809. Installed/updated all 6 of my system. Not a single issues....who are these folks? 2 of my system which are gaming rigs both Nvidia.......Nada single hick up.......Again who are these folks?

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
The biggest obstacle is that when you uninstall the UWD driver normally, it won't be gone from the system until you reboot, so you have to reboot before the NVIDIA Installer will work.

A way around this would be before you restart download the drivers, then reboot and unplug the network cable. If your machine is on wireless then turn router/modem off for a few minutes and install the drivers after restart. Would save doing all the cmd commands.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
This! Windows 10 is one of the worst Windows imo, but people are using it as microsoft basically "forced" upgrades for free. The OS is terrible. Windows 7 is smoother and has more stability.

I skipped the free upgrade, but I'm using it now because I genuinely like it a lot better than Windows 7. Going back to Windows 7 feels like using a dinosaur, I might as well be using XP again. Win10 does have issues, especially as they roll out new major updates, but so did every version of Windows when they received the major updates. Microsoft is basically releasing a service pack every ~6 months, which I like, because I've wanted more service packs for years. The problem is Windows has always had problems when they roll out service packs.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
A way around this would be before you restart download the drivers, then reboot and unplug the network cable. If your machine is on wireless then turn router/modem off for a few minutes and install the drivers after restart. Would save doing all the cmd commands.
The uwd driver gets added to driver store and will install even without network.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
All lies, Nvidia drivers are perfect, AMD is the one who screws it up.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
It is only for the good.

Everyone gets the wrong idea coloring M$ as the bad guys. Actually it is vice versa.

The biggest issue, latency, BSOD, problem makers are the graphics drivers lately. It is getting overboard. Microsoft is starting to put some hints about that, because normal language doesn't help. Incidents like this is a wake up call. if you think it is a coincidence... you are wrong,

Basically AMD and Nvidia is writing really a messy code. Microsoft is really serious lately about solving this mess. Almost Torvalds like attitude.

System Name No Name
Processor i7 980 @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard GA-X99M-GAMING
Video Card(s) MSU Gaming X 1070
Audio Device(s) X7 Creative LE
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard K95 Corsair RGB Blue
Yeh I had that problem yesterday and I had to install Geforce Experience and update driver through that

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
All these people having issues with 1809. Installed/updated all 6 of my system. Not a single issues....who are these folks? 2 of my system which are gaming rigs both Nvidia.......Nada single hick up.......Again who are these folks?
Good for you. Just because you had no problems doesnt mean you can minimize the impact of 1809 interacting with other software and affecting so many people.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Good for you. Just because you had no problems doesnt mean you can minimize the impact of 1809 interacting with other software and affecting so many people.

I have no problems either on 4 machines but I know many that have the problems with 1809.. Microshaft needs to get their heads out of their asses and FIX it.

I skipped the free upgrade, but I'm using it now because I genuinely like it a lot better than Windows 7. Going back to Windows 7 feels like using a dinosaur, I might as well be using XP again. Win10 does have issues, especially as they roll out new major updates, but so did every version of Windows when they received the major updates. Microsoft is basically releasing a service pack every ~6 months, which I like, because I've wanted more service packs for years. The problem is Windows has always had problems when they roll out service packs.

By dinossaur you mean the graphic appearance? If so I can understand, but I don´t judge OS by their visual! I judge it by stability. Windows 7 use your CPU smarter than Windows 10, not to mention RAM management. The input lag on Windows 7 is lower too, and the mouse translation too. It runs with less 200 services background and it doesn´t work by modules like Windows 10. It is a superior OS compared to Windows 10, but it lacks Directx12 and the visual effects. That´s all. There isn´t a single advantage on Windows 10 compared to Windows 7 OS wise.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
this is getting really stupid. -_-

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
Very helpful for people running 1809, looks like 2018 is not good for Microsoft and their customer, maybe 2019 too :shadedshu:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I scripted this for you. It will auto detect if the registry value exists under that key. That will determine if it continues @crazyeyesreaper @W1zzard .

If it finds the key it will automate the removal.

If it doesnt find the key it will exit..

Unfortunately, the OP is a little off. When you go to delete the service it may be locked in "Marked for deletion" (This generally happens if the driver has the ability to "roll back" because of previous installs) when this happens the machine must be restarted before it will install the new drivers correctly.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Code:
@echo off
SET build=.2
title Nvidia DCH fixer v%BUILD%

:checkPrivileges
:: Check for Admin by accessing protected stuff. This calls net(#).exe and can stall if we don't kill it later.
NET FILE 1>nul 2>&1 2>nul 2>&1
if '%errorlevel%' == '0' ( goto start) else ( goto getPrivileges )

:getPrivileges
:: Write vbs in temp to call batch as admin.
if '%1'=='ELEV' (shift & goto start)                              
for /f "delims=: tokens=*" %%A in ('findstr /b ::- "%~f0"') do @Echo(%%A
setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion
set "batchPath=%~0"
setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
Echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs"
Echo UAC.ShellExecute "!batchPath!", "ELEV", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs"
"%temp%\OEgetPrivileges.vbs"
exit /B

:start
cls
Echo.
Echo TPU Nvidia DCH driver fix https://bit.ly/2EnMLWo
Echo.
Echo Written by: Solaris17 (TPU)
Echo.
Echo If you do not want to auto clean exit the script now.
Echo.
pause
Echo.
cls
Echo.
Echo Going to see if the registry key exists...
:: Find out of the entry exists.
REG Query HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm /V "DCHUVen" /S >nul 2>&1
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 goto oeminf
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto notfound

:: find the infname
:oeminf
Echo.
Echo I found the registry entry, deleting value.
REG DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm" /V DCHUVen /f >nul 2>&1
Echo Lets get the .inf name.
powershell -Command "gwmi Win32_PnPSignedDriver | ? DeviceClass -eq "Display" | Select Infname"
Echo Enter the inf name exactly as shown. IE: oem19.inf
Echo.
SET /P infname=""
Echo.
Echo Deleting the inf. The display(s) may go blank and flicker.
Echo.
pnputil /delete-driver %infname% /uninstall >nul 2>&1
Echo inf deleted.
Echo.

:: delete the service.
Echo Please wait, now deleting the service. The display(s) may go blank and flicker.
timeout 30 >nul 2>&1
sc delete nvlddmkm >nul 2>&1
Echo.
Echo Service deleted.
goto end

:notfound
Echo I didn't find, it you should be good.
goto end

:end
Echo.
Echo All done!
Echo.
Echo You should be able to install normally. If driver install fails reboot.
Echo.
pause
exit

Attachments

• NvDCHFix.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Works fine for me in a command line, try adding a bit of delay. You are using start /wait?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Works fine for me in a command line, try adding a bit of delay. You are using start /wait?

No just firing it off. Windows is probably locking it because of rollback and its using the installed service DB. I can time it out though. Do you have any suggestions? Win 10 appears to auto rollback. Displays flicker and come back with a different inf utilized.

That's generally system dependent. I cant leave it too short else id imagine people would run into the issue on slower machines.

The reboot cuts the lock and deletes service before restart though. Which allows installs after the fact. (Assuming the service was locked prior)

EDIT: I'll add a delay for now.

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Using lots.....of periods doesnt make....your comment...sound like anything but pedantic.

I am one of the users running into issues with 1809. AMD's 18.11 and 18.12 chipset drivers do not work properly with 1809 and my asus crosshair VII. If the computer goes to sleep, the USB devices remain off until the system force powered off and restarts. In addition, the ACHI connection to storage devices resets at complete random, causing the system to lock up for 15-20 seconds. This occurs every 5-10 minutes. 18.10 does not act up thankfully, and 18.11 and 18.12 work properly on 1803 and windows 7.

Honest Abe

Windows 7 is like a spring-time meadow compared to Windows 10's urban sprawl. DCH driver fixer??? WTF? So much drama in Win10ville