• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU-Z on Steam?

Would you like to see a free Steam version of GPU-Z alongside the regular one?

• Total voters
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Just a general observation for everyone: I can understand @W1zzard not wanting to do this without a clear payoff somewhere, because of the extra maintenance overhead etc, but I can't understand why users wouldn't want more free options and are so vociferous against it. Remember, my proposal was to have it in addition to what we have now, not replace it. It's like turkeys voting for Christmas. Bizarre.
Bizarre is putting [insert non gaming application name - not just gpuz] on Steam just so it can be updated.

Again, the idea of an auto update is good. I wish a checkbox was possible... even with UAC. The idea of Steam having it to do so... not a good idea (yes, even if it's in addition to). It seems clear that if laziness isnt the reason one doesnt upgrade, then that same user doesnt really NEED to update and keep it updated, which was the point, in the first place. If a user wanted and needed to keep it updated, they wouldn't let it fall behind several versions. Besides, were still waiting for you to overclock that 2500k and retest your gpus from several months ago to show you how it was holding back those gpus...so, it doesnt surprise me in the least things like this also do not get updated. :p

You asked how popular that was and 2/3 say no. Overall the idea was not accepted by the author, nor an overwhelming majority of poll respondents. It is what it is. :)

Im curious, why do you 'call' W1z back into this in your post?

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Covered with Cooler Master MasterGel Pro)
Motherboard ASRock B450 Steel Legend, BIOS Version: 8.01 [Beta]
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2 RGB, 5x Galax Vortex Wind-02 (3xFront Intake, 2x Top exhaust)
Memory Kingston FURY Beast RGB 3600 MT/s 32 GB (8 GB x4), (KF436C17BBA/8)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Dual OC
Storage Kingston NV2 1 TB
Display(s) MSI PRO M251 (HDMI), Running @104 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB520
Audio Device(s) HP H360G USB
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE 550 80+ White
Mouse HP G200 Black
Keyboard Redragon MITRA K551-1 RGB
Software Windows 11 Home
What's the purpose ?

Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2 RGB, 5x Galax Vortex Wind-02 (3xFront Intake, 2x Top exhaust)
Mouse HP G200 Black
Software Windows 11 Home
Mouse HP G200 Black
Software Windows 11 Home
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Guys, by using Windows 10 you are in fact using Windows Store anyway (behind the scenes), so even if you avoid it, it is there. :)

I'm fine with the store being there, as long as I don't have to look at it or use it :)

Same with Steam, actually. I buy my keys elsewhere, activate, click the game, and play. Steam's just a launcher like there are so many. Whether I click a launcher or a game icon is the same to me.

But the most interesting point made in this topic I think was the W1z himself: why jump through hoops to not gain a thing.

D

Deleted member 67555

If GPU-Z was my software I'd want to keep it on my website that collects advertising money when people come to download it and I'd hope maybe they would also check out my articles and reviews that are also sponsored by advertising.... I definitely wouldn't want it on another service that avoids my advertisers for anyone's convenience.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Bizarre is putting [insert non gaming application name - not just gpuz] on Steam just so it can be updated.

Again, the idea of an auto update is good. I wish a checkbox was possible... even with UAC. The idea of Steam having it to do so... not a good idea (yes, even if it's in addition to). It seems clear that if laziness isnt the reason one doesnt upgrade, then that same user doesnt really NEED to update and keep it updated, which was the point, in the first place. If a user wanted and needed to keep it updated, they wouldn't let it fall behind several versions. Besides, were still waiting for you to overclock that 2500k and retest your gpus from several months ago to show you how it was holding back those gpus...so, it doesnt surprise me in the least things like this also do not get updated. :p

You asked how popular that was and 2/3 say no. Overall the idea was not accepted by the author, nor an overwhelming majority of poll respondents. It is what it is. :)

Im curious, why do you 'call' W1z back into this in your post?
I think we're agreed on the auto update, at least. Still don't get what people have against an extra option, but hey, whatever. If there was a compelling reason for it rather than just a bit of convenience, I'm sure W1z would do it.

You'll be waiting a long time for that overclock and benchies I'm afraid, so best to forget about it. If it hadn't been for the money, I'd have upgraded to the 9900K now anyway - finally a CPU worthy of upgrading my still-snappy 2700K to as it's a fair bit faster and has twice the cores. A nice RTX 2080 Ti and one of those lovely 27" 4K G-SYNC monitors to top it off would be grand. A lot of grand. :laugh:

I felt the post was sorta significant and wanted to make sure he saw it. Nothing much in it really, I almost didn't tag him. Don't read too much into it.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how popular this idea is, so people please vote in the poll.
Voted No. W1zzard is a busy enough person to be bothered with maintaining GPU-Z on yet another platform. It's really not that difficult or inconvenient to check TPU for an update once in a while.

I think we're agreed on the auto update, at least.
There's no need for auto-updates. Wouldn't allow it through my firewall anyway..

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K + Lenovo L32p-30
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
There could be a DLC for us who would like to support developing it. No need to have any bonus features.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
If GPU-Z was my software I'd want to keep it on my website that collects advertising money when people come to download it and I'd hope maybe they would also check out my articles and reviews that are also sponsored by advertising.... I definitely wouldn't want it on another service that avoids my advertisers for anyone's convenience.
Sorry, meant to reply that I think that's a sound business reason and I would do the same. Great minds think alike! :p