• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

This PSU is fine?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Could be one of the usb ports is malfunctioning, I'd remove the hubs...could also be one of the sata ports is malfunctioning

did you connect something new a month ago?
Can you explain why fixing your brakes will help with the AC??

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
Can you explain why fixing your brakes will help with the AC??

Not sure if I should respond or report you for toxicity, but I'll try the First. If he connected a hdd to a sata port he hasn't used before, it is possible that port is sending too much electiricity, and he couldn't have known about it until he connected it. The rest of the psu might be in perfect condition. I already got one of my hdds fried by using crap psu's...also, if something got disconnected, like his front panel usb from mobo, which also happened to me once, then one or both ports will not work properly, so if he has a hub connected to it, issues happen.

Last edited:
Lol, report me if you want. I'm just trying to figure out why looking at those seemingly unrelated things would help... I couldn't make an association.

Doesnt sound likely, but anything is worth a try. ;)

Not sure if I should respond or report you for toxicity, but I'll try the First. If he connected a hdd to a sata port he hasn't used before, it is possible that port is sending too much electiricity, and he couldn't have known about it until he connected it. The rest of the psu might be in perfect condition. I already got one of my hdds fried by using crap psu's...also, if something got disconencted, like his front panel usb from mobo, which also happened to me once, then one or both ports will not work properly, so if he has a hub connected to it, issues happen.
I really shouldn't get involved but I just wanted to say that what EarthDog said didn't come across (at least to me) as toxic.

I'm certain I could have gotten the point across in a better way...but yeah, I wouldn't call that toxic. :)

My point was to show, in my head, the lack of association with the issue at hand. It didnt (still doesnt) make sense to me that those things would affect a psu under load. But it's worth a try.

I would recommend a 650W given your parts to allow for more headroom in available wattage. The 520W will do the job though.
That Seasonic leaves plenty of headroom left with his given parts honestly. Including overclocking both the CPU and GPU. That PSU has 480W on the 12V.

CPU won't break 150W overclocking. GPU is 145W stock. With power limits (let's say 20% which is generous) It wont break 175W. That is 325W. Throw in 75W for everything else and we have just now reached 400W... and that is with everything running 100%. Normal use that thing won't break 300-350W. I'd happily run my system on that without worry and little noise from the fan if that was a concern. :)

That Seasonic leaves plenty of headroom left with his given parts honestly. Including overclocking both the CPU and GPU. That PSU has 480W on the 12V.

CPU won't break 150W overclocking. GPU is 145W stock. With power limits (let's say 20% which is generous) It wont break 175W. That is 325W. Throw in 75W for everything else and we have just now reached 400W... and that is with everything running 100%. Normal use that thing won't break 300-350W. I'd happily run my system on that without worry and little noise from the fan if that was a concern. :)
While those are good points, I like having and recommending PSU's that have more headroom to offer, "just-in-case". A 650W is only a little more money and offers room for expansion.

My only worry with expansion would be with the # of connectors due to the lower power rating. About the only thing that unit wouldn't handle is HEDT CPU and 250W GPU...

... but knowing me.. I'd still do it. :)

This is coming from the guy who ran a 295x2 overclocked (500W card to start...) and a highly overclocked 5930K on a 750W PSU (fuill water setup with 18W pump, 6 fans, etc). Needless to say, I hit 800W+ at the wall, LOL. The PSU flinch (EVGA Supernova G2)... but would have soon! :p

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
"Old"?!? 30 years? I have clothes that are older than that.
Yeah, my house is 60 years old, had many two-prong outlets :( when I moved in, and even had some aluminum wiring mixed with copper. :( :(

But i had been living here like 11 years and i didnt have problems with my electrical instalation before.
That does not mean it cannot go bad or deteriorate. Outlets can wear out, wire connections in outlets and service panels can become loose, or even hungry rodent or insect damage can occur. One of those AC outlet checkers can still show if the two remaining wires are still wired properly.

Even so, many two wired outlets can still provide a ground if metal conduit was used. You just use an inexpensive adapter like this and attach that green loop to the center screw of the outlet cover plate (I am sure there are similar adapters for your type outlet). This is NOT ideal and certainly no guarantee it will provide a ground. But it might. A good ground is first and foremost, safer. But it will also help reduce or eliminate "noise" and/or interference which can also affect power supply performance.

If he connected a hdd to a sata port he hasn't used before, it is possible that port is sending too much electiricity
Sorry, but that makes no sense. Ports don't "send" electricity. Connected components demand and pull what they need. So the only way "too much electricity" could go through that port is if that drive was faulty, had a "short" (abnormally low or no resistance) in a circuit somewhere, and was demanding too much current. But that, of course, has nothing to do with when the port was last used.

It also makes no sense that disabling the ASUS surge feature would cause a game to freeze.

I would swap in a known good PSU and see what happens. I keep several on hand but for those who don't, finding a trusting friend or relative who will let you swap in their PSU would be a good idea before spending money on a new PSU. IMO, we have not ruled out a failing graphics card or even the motherboard yet. I would hate for you to spend good money on a new PSU only to find out the problem remains. However, since EVERYTHING inside your computer depends on good, clean, reliable power, you still need to verify you are supplying that.

So I am afraid you are stuck between a rock and hard place. Welcome to the world of electronics troubleshooting. :rolleyes:

Ports don't "send" electricity.
True, but devices connected to sata and usb ports can cause serious problems when faulty which is what he was likely trying to explain. Gorstak's primary language is not english and thus there seems to be a bit of a language barrier problem here.

That said the problems as stated strongly lean toward PSU replacement.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:( I started by saying "Sorry". Then I went on to explain how it works, to include the fact it has nothing to do with when the port was last used. Forums threads are not two-way, private conversations. So my comment was not just for Gorstak's benefit, but the valen99's as the OP, and for any one else who might read this thread in the future who might otherwise get the wrong impression. That is regardless if due to a misunderstanding of electronics, or due to a language barrier.

It also makes no sense that disabling the ASUS surge feature would cause a game to freeze.

I would swap in a known good PSU and see what happens. I keep several on hand but for those who don't, finding a trusting friend or relative who will let you swap in their PSU would be a good idea before spending money on a new PSU. IMO, we have not ruled out a failing graphics card or even the motherboard yet. I would hate for you to spend good money on a new PSU only to find out the problem remains. However, since EVERYTHING inside your computer depends on good, clean, reliable power, you still need to verify you are supplying that.

So I am afraid you are stuck between a rock and hard place. Welcome to the world of electronics troubleshooting. :rolleyes:

I asked on a computer repair shop for this problem, they told me that there is a chance that the psu had a lot of ripple that ware causing this "Asus power Surge", but when i disable it and get everything crashed, the guy of the shop just told me that there is a chance that the ripple of the psu damaged the VRM of the grapichs card.

So he told me to bring him the computer some of this days so he can check this.
Now im scared of what could be happening to my pc.

Could be one of the usb ports is malfunctioning, I'd remove the hubs...could also be one of the sata ports is malfunctioning

did you connect something new a month ago?
Nope, i didnt touch anything since i ended building the computer. Just a clean every 4 months

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
were you cleaning it a month ago? Maybe unpluged some cables then pluged them back a bit badly? If not, that psu you mentioned in op, seasonic is quite good..I've had that exact model and used it for about a year without issues.

:( I started by saying "Sorry". Then I went on to explain how it works, to include the fact it has nothing to do with when the port was last used. Forums threads are not two-way, private conversations. So my comment was not just for Gorstak's benefit, but the valen99's as the OP, and for any one else who might read this thread in the future who might otherwise get the wrong impression. That is regardless if due to a misunderstanding of electronics, or due to a language barrier.
It's all good, no worries.

I asked on a computer repair shop for this problem, they told me that there is a chance that the psu had a lot of ripple that ware causing this "Asus power Surge", but when i disable it and get everything crashed, the guy of the shop just told me that there is a chance that the ripple of the psu damaged the VRM of the grapichs card.

So he told me to bring him the computer some of this days so he can check this.
Now im scared of what could be happening to my pc.
It'll be good to get an experienced set of eyes on it. The voltage ripple thing can be a problem, but I doubt it's so bad that it cause actual damage to your GPU's VRM's. It usually just causes instabilities and replacing the PSU with a higher quality model often solves that problem. The thing is, a PSU will lose efficiency as the power being pulled out of it gets close to or exceeds it design limit. Voltage ripple will also get worse as well. So if you have a system that will draw 300w nominal and 450w at peak you want to use a PSU that keeps said power draw below 70% of the PSU rated spec, so replacing you current PSU with a quality 650w unit will give you plenty of power, will maintain efficiency and will keep voltage ripple to a minimum. In the systems I built for clients I always take the planned system's power draw and pair it with a PSU that at least double's the system's requirement so to maintain good performance and leave plenty of headroom for expansion or overclocking.

This is why I recommended a 650w PSU. I'd even suggest a 750w or 800w if you can afford it. A system PSU is the foundation on which everything else is built and you want to spend the money on a quality unit that will exceed any power requirement you might need.

The thing is, a PSU will lose efficiency as the power being pulled out of it gets close to or exceeds it design limit. Voltage ripple will also get worse as well. So if you have a system that will draw 300w nominal and 450w at peak you want to use a PSU that keeps said power draw below 70% of the PSU rated spec
Ugh, that 70% just hurts my wallet so!!! While I wouldn't run a client's PC as I do mine, I sure as heck wouldn't double the capacity for stability sake. I see the point, but I also feel people are overly paranoid about getting the right wattage for their system and tend to overbuy. The only thing that hurts though, is the wallet. :)

750W or 850W for this user and system is simply a waste of cash... unless the guy is going with 2 GPUs down the road. ANd even then, I'd run his system with 2 of those GPUs on a 650W and never worry... even overclocked.... heavily.... using water... :)

but I also feel people are overly paranoid about getting the right wattage for their system and tend to overbuy.
Ah but that's just it, it's not overbuying, IMHO. Steve over a GN on YT did a test which illustrates this very well and supports the ideal I subscribe to.

The only thing that hurts though, is the wallet. :)
I get you there, really do. Let's take some examples though;
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151094
This is the PSU the OP talked about, or one very close to it. It's $55. But on that same page you can click on the 620w model and it's $52, both with free shipping? Which one would be the smarter buy?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151095
Then there's the EVO model and it's 620w counterpart at $58 and $60. The 620w part is the better buy hands down.

Now lets look at another brand, one that I regularly buy, Rosewill;
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817182299
650w $55 shipped
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817182294
750w $71 shipped
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817182263
650w modular $71 shipped
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817182264
750w modular $81 shipped

The general theme here is that if you shop smart you can get high quality for not much more. Honestly, is $5 to $25 going to really hurt the wallet? Even if so, one still has options.

Anything more than one needs hurts the wallet, yes. Be it $5 or $25.. or in the sake of DOUBLING the power needed (which is more of what I was talking about) A LOT MORE than that.

And sweet jesus.. Rosewill. They are hit and miss on quality... with only recently (last couple of years) being a hit on SOME models (the ARC is OK).

That video. I get it.. ripple goes up... but not to a point where it is remotely out of spec, which, any quality PSU, will also maintain. So that is true, but to what end? Not to blow dude's card... but its true....... whatever that really means (not much for the OP).

Last edited:
System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
it's always better to go bang for buck, unless you're on a really tight budget...his pc will spend max 350W, and with 50W headroom, even a 400W psu should suffice...actually not just for his, but for 99% of single cpu + single gpu pc's out there. I'd just get one with at least a bronze rating.

Btw, Bill was correct, it's not port sending the electricity, and my english is usually good enough, minus the typo's...I'm just not good at putting my thoughts on paper, and when on IT forums, I usually count on fact people know what's it about and what I'm trying to say, not punish me with minus points for everything not 100% precise. This isn't school, and you aren't teachers, at least not to me, so give it a rest...

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Not buying all that. For one, ripple suppression is not a function of the Anit-surge feature. But note surges from the power grid typically range from 10s to 100s or even 1000s of volts above the line level normal. And it is not typical for surges and spikes to originate from within a PSU. Ripple in ATX PSUs is measured in mV (millivolts or 1/1000ths of 1 volt). The ATX standard allows for no more than 50mV peak to peak but most review sites would rate a PSU as unacceptable with any ripple value greater than 30mV p-p.

If your ripple was as bad as he suggests your system would be unstable all the time - not just with games as the RAM, chipset, CPU and every other connected device would be affected too. Yes a bad supply can damage the VRMs - in fact a bad supply can damage anything connected to it. I am just saying I don't believe excessive ripple damaged the graphics card's VRMs.

I am NOT suggesting your PSU is good. As I said multiple times above, you need to try a different supply just to make sure.

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Actually, he might have already damaged one or more components in his pc, such as his gpu, so thing might not work even with new PSU. If it works, then he might have shortened it's life expactancy more or less.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
I usually count on fact people know what's it about and what I'm trying to say, not punish me with minus points for everything not 100% precise.
If you post wrong or confusing info in a troubleshooting thread to a person who isn't a regular here.. what do you expect?

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
If you post wrong or confusing info in a troubleshooting thread to a person who isn't a regular here.. what do you expect?

Some understanding? A tiny bit? My ex wife was milder then this, and she had a voice that could turn milk into cheese.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I usually count on fact people know what's it about and what I'm trying to say, not punish me with minus points for everything not 100% precise. This isn't school, and you aren't teachers, at least not to me, so give it a rest...
:( Nobody is punishing anyone. And yes, forums are a place to learn so in that respect, it is school - a place learn the truth. So if anyone says something that is not factually correct, and (as should happen!) someone else comes along with the correct information, it is up to the first person to take the mature route and NOT take it as a personal affront or punishment.

We are all here to learn and share what we have learned.
Actually, he might have already damaged one or more components in his pc, such as his gpu, so thing might not work even with new PSU.
Except the OP stated earlier,
I should add this:
This problem only occurs with 3D heavy applications, like dying light, battlefield 1, etc.
While not conclusive, this suggests, again, the PSU.

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Agreed. I'll try to grow a pair in the future, and also jump on everything everyone else posts that is incorrect. Might be a more pleasurable experience for all involved. I will secretly enjoy all the minus points they get aswell, might make my life sweeter.