• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google's Project Stream Offers Free Copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey For Testing the Service

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
We covered Project Stream in a more detailed news post recently, so this is a short update. The test period is active as of the time of testing, and will remain so through January 15, 2019. Selected entrants now get a bonus incentive of retaining a copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, with all progress from the test retained, even after the stream test is done. Indeed, users (who are limited to the USA as of the test period) with a minimum of an hour of game play will see the game added to their Uplay account on file and this should prompt more of the testers (which you can still apply to be, from everything we have seen) to try out Google's take on game streaming over the internet. Yours truly happens to be one who applied, was selected, and played all of five minutes thus far, but be on the lookout for another post early next year with impressions galore on how it goes.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Nice try, Google, but no.
chrome.png

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Streaming is for peasants.

No wait, consoles are for peasants. I don't know what kind of degenerate this would be. :p

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Streaming is for peasants.

No wait, consoles are for peasants. I don't know what kind of degenerate this would be. :p
Could be worse. I think it was LiquidSky who had a crazy idea of providing game streaming services in exchange for watching ads. :banghead:
That's a real bottom of the barrel )))

Space Lynx

Astronaut
As someone who has already played the beta for Google Streaming AC Odyssey, I can confirm it is kind of spooky how good the tech for cloud gaming is getting... it is the future I have no doubt about it. A solid 10 years away just because of infrastructure and data cap stupidity, but someday those things will be gone (maybe).

The cloud gaming itself I had 0 issues with, it didn't feel all that bad to me. That being said I was on a fiber optic connection at the time I tried it, my parents decided to go back to ATT though earlier this year, because they are dumb and would not listen to reason. (cost was the same)

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
And of course its USA only.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I think that's a requirement publishers put on participation rather than something Google itself required. Only reason why Google would limit to USA is because of enforcing the NDA...which I don't think there is one.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think that's a requirement publishers put on participation rather than something Google itself required. Only reason why Google would limit to USA is because of enforcing the NDA...which I don't think there is one.

Incorrect, it is all in trial phase, the limit is because it is beta, and they are keeping it all close to home until it is ready to roll out and the tech is better perfected. Server distance is important for Cloud Gaming and Google knows this. Why roll it out worldwide while in Beta, wait until it is perfected.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Chrome is awesome.
Year 2018 and I can't switch between tabs in "recently used" order on top of its horrifying hunger for RAM.
"Awesome" indeed.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Year 2018 and I can't switch between tabs in "recently used" order on top of its horrifying hunger for RAM.
"Awesome" indeed.

I didn't even know there was a thing called recently used. I just bookmark and organize my bookmarks well. lol

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
As someone who has already played the beta for Google Streaming AC Odyssey, I can confirm it is kind of spooky how good the tech for cloud gaming is getting... it is the future I have no doubt about it. A solid 10 years away just because of infrastructure and data cap stupidity, but someday those things will be gone (maybe).

The cloud gaming itself I had 0 issues with, it didn't feel all that bad to me. That being said I was on a fiber optic connection at the time I tried it, my parents decided to go back to ATT though earlier this year, because they are dumb and would not listen to reason. (cost was the same)
It worked for years now. The only thing that's holding it back is infrastructure and people's mentality.
Back in a day, when onLive was the only thing out there, I've registered for a month and beat Witcher 2 on the cloud. All I had was an asus laptop w/ 3rd gen i7 GT630 and a 20Mbit/s internet. I think everything was routed to their data center in Germany, so my ping was in moderate 10-20 range and it was still quite playable on max settings 1366x768 (native resolution for my lappy). Also worked flawlessly on my cousin's laptop w/ measly Richland APU.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

It'd be interesting if you're proven right. This guy has been on the money before, and predicts the blockchain will undo the whole cloud paradigm. Which I would hope. I love the idea that the physical realities of this world is what will destroy big data. It's intellectually satisfying at least. Damn all pseudo-gnostics.

Also...I just like being an individual... with my individual PC.. and my individual installations.. and so on and so forth :p

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It'd be interesting if you're proven right. This guy has been on the money before, and predicts the blockchain will undo the whole cloud paradigm. Which I would hope. I love the idea that the physical realities of this world is what will destroy big data. It's intellectually satisfying at least. Damn all pseudo-gnostics.

Also...I just like being an individual... with my individual PC.. and my individual installations.. and so on and so forth :p

I mean, American Express is already using block chain for international payments. It didn't change the world, it was just new software they used to speed it up barely a notch faster than what it already was. Blockchain is extremely overrated imo. Yeah, it will be used of course, but it will be big companies using free open source variants of it to increase speed and security, nothing different than a software update ten years ago did to adjust for increasing population. Nothing will change, your money will still go into a bank, and you will still have a MC, Visa, or AE you take to the store and buy stuff with.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I mean, American Express is already using block chain for international payments. It didn't change the world, it was just new software they used to speed it up barely a notch faster than what it already was. Blockchain is extremely overrated imo. Yeah, it will be used of course, but it will be big companies using free open source variants of it to increase speed and security, nothing different than a software update ten years ago did to adjust for increasing population. Nothing will change, your money will still go into a bank, and you will still have a MC, Visa, or AE you take to the store and buy stuff with.
There's more to it than that though. If the world switched to a blockchain model, many non obvious services would be used through it too. There's no telling what kind of companies would pop up if it took over (just like the Cloud or the dotcom boom produced new companies themselves). I don't know what it'd entail for streaming games though. Encyption on it's own slows down processing, in addition to the bandwidth issues which already hamper streaming as it is. People would just rely on individual game installations, in this case (but that's how I'd want it. To just remain the same as it is now. I want neither the cloud nor some bizarre streaming through crypto model. I just want to see the Big Data stuff killed first and foremost.. to not even make that an option).

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I didn't even know there was a thing called recently used. I just bookmark and organize my bookmarks well. lol
Sure thing.
I also remember times when "copy and paste" was not needed on a mobile phone.