• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GDDR6 Memory Costs 70 Percent More than GDDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main thing in this article is a consistent flow of brown bullshit.
70% is ridiculous. Just by going to Digikey and verifying prices can shed some light:
1) Micron 8Gbit GDDR5 1.5GHz : $18.50
2) Micron 8Gbit GDDR6 1.5GHz : $22.25 (+20%)
3) Micron 8Gbit GDDR6 1.75GHz : $23.58 (+27%)

GDDR5 also became more expensive this year. To be more specific - 40+% more expensive than it was last year.
Not sure out of who's ass did they pull that 70%.

Regarding listed price sources: component-mart.com (or component-mart/shop/center. *[insert your local zone here]) is a scam. So far the only reviews I've managed to find(since I've never heard of them) are either bad or non-existent. Website(s) are ranked in either "scam" or "suspicious" or "non-trustworthy" categories, so this invalidates pretty much the whole article by 3Dcenter.
Shit, if that GDDR5 was really that cheap, they'd be out by now. Just to put this in perspective - $6 for 1.5GHz GDDR5 is comparable to the current retail of old 4Gb GDDR5(overstock most likely), or refurbished 8Gbit chips on Ali (read "used and reballed from dead mining cards").

EDIT: Some reviews
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.components-center.com
https://www.supplierblacklist.com/2018/11/26/components-mart/
https://www.supplierblacklist.com/2017/09/09/components-center-review/

Jesus fucking christ, when are you, guys, gonna start doing homework before putting shit on the frontpage?

Most interesting piece of computer-tech related journalism seen in few month. It lacks the "we tried to contact XXX to contrast our information", and so on... but he is not paid for that.
I miss when sites like this used to dig into the info, less articles (*press releases *) per day and more journalism.
Lower your pace and beef up your stroke ;)

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
75% faster for 70% more money while GDDR6 is new. Seems appropriate to me.

Prices drop once development cost has been clawed back from charging early adopter prices.
Exactly. It’s a new standard that offers more bandwidth. It is also likely harder to produce, and the company is recovering that investment of developing it. Even then, the newest anything always comes at a premium—look at top end CP’U prices for example.

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Hahahhahahahaha what a ripoff.

More excuses to increase prices? Tell me something new please... I really wish AMD could deliver something revolutionary and stop this BS immediatly, but considering even their Vega GPUs are very expensive, doubt it will happen.

Meanwhile PS4 reaches 90 million sold units. Let´s guess what will happen when PS 5 launches for 500€, considering this PC hardware price madness. And yes we all can buy 2nd hand hardware; Ryzen prices are very good, RX570 awesome price, gtx 1060 3gb doable, but nvidia and intel are really making PC high-end market a niche and a premium thing, kind of apple. And people are getting tired of that.

The main thing in this article is a consistent flow of brown bullshit.
70% is ridiculous. Just by going to Digikey and verifying prices can shed some light:
1) Micron 8Gbit GDDR5 1.5GHz : $18.50
2) Micron 8Gbit GDDR6 1.5GHz : $22.25 (+20%)
3) Micron 8Gbit GDDR6 1.75GHz : $23.58 (+27%)

GDDR5 also became more expensive this year. To be more specific - 40+% more expensive than it was last year.
Not sure out of who's ass did they pull that 70%.

Regarding listed price sources: component-mart.com (or component-mart/shop/center. *[insert your local zone here]) is a scam. So far the only reviews I've managed to find(since I've never heard of them) are either bad or non-existent. Website(s) are ranked in either "scam" or "suspicious" or "non-trustworthy" categories, so this invalidates pretty much the whole article by 3Dcenter.
Shit, if that GDDR5 was really that cheap, they'd be out by now. Just to put this in perspective - $6 for 1.5GHz GDDR5 is comparable to the current retail of old 4Gb GDDR5(overstock most likely), or refurbished 8Gbit chips on Ali (read "used and reballed from dead mining cards").

EDIT: Some reviews
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.components-center.com
https://www.supplierblacklist.com/2018/11/26/components-mart/
https://www.supplierblacklist.com/2017/09/09/components-center-review/

Jesus fucking christ, when are you, guys, gonna start doing homework before putting shit on the frontpage?

Sorry to be an ass, but before crucifying @btarunr , just read the damn news piece. And check the given source before commenting.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Sorry to be an ass, but before crucifying @btarunr , just read the damn news piece. And check the given source before commenting.
Here:
According to a 3DCenter.org report citing list-prices sourced from electronics components wholeseller DigiKey, 14 Gbps GDDR6 memory chips from Micron Technology cost over 70 percent more than common 8 Gbps GDDR5 chips of the same density, from the same manufacturer.

The original source, e.g. 3Dcenter, went downhill from the very first sentence (roughly, from google translate):
From our forum reaches us (thankfully) the reference to another source of memory chip prices - which is the old price comparison GDDR5 vs.. Re-start GDDR6 . The new prices are from electronics component distributor Components-Mart from Hong Kong and are significantly lower than the prices of Digi-Key , which have been mentioned at this point some time ago (with the current prices of Digi-Key turn again clearly lower than lie in the summer)

So, first they publish an article in which they've used a trusted and well-known distributor as a source of current prices, and then.... how do I put it mildly... they f#$% it up by taking someone's word for granted on their forum an do a complete "sensational" rewrite of the article in which the price difference has been inflated from 20 to 70%.
The rest of the article is irrelevant because their analysis is based on bad numbers.

Then we have @btarunr misquoting the source and adding a catchy title to the article, which makes matters even worse.
I think my concerns are totally justified in this case, especially since this is not the first time unverified bullshit makes its way to the front page. One mistake can slide through, all of the above - can't (at least not by accident). So in this case it's either laziness or ignorance.

The reason this caught my eye is not because I'm just a random asshole on the internet, it's because I fix electronics (incl. laptops and videocards), and while I don't buy large bulk of chips and I don't order them often, I am at least somewhat familiar with memory prices and the difference between DDR3, DDR4, GDDR5, and GDDR6. If I could get my hands on some brand-new 8Gbit GDDR5 at $5-6 apiece, I'd make a killer buck just on replacing VRAM on defective or former mining cards. In the real world I can only do some GTX 9 and 10-series cards on a case-by-case basis, cause not everyone in Ukraine wants to pay upwards of $100 to get their GPU fixed properly.

Last edited:
Here:

The original source, e.g. 3Dcenter, went downhill from the very first sentence (roughly, from google translate):

So, first they publish an article in which they've used a trusted and well-known distributor as a source of current prices, and then.... how do I put it mildly... they f#$% it up by taking someone's word for granted on their forum an do a complete "sensational" rewrite of the article in which the price difference has been inflated from 20 to 70%.
The rest of the article is irrelevant because their analysis is based on bad numbers.

Then we have @btarunr misquoting the source and adding a catchy title to the article, which makes matters even worse.
I think my concerns are totally justified in this case, especially since this is not the first time unverified bullshit makes its way to the front page. One mistake can slide through, all of the above - can't (at least not by accident). So in this case it's either laziness or ignorance.

The reason this caught my eye is not because I'm just a random asshole on the internet, it's because I fix electronics (incl. laptops and videocards), and while I don't buy large bulk of chips and I don't order them often, I am at least somewhat familiar with memory prices and the difference between DDR3, DDR4, GDDR5, and GDDR6. If I could get my hands on some brand-new 8Gbit GDDR5 at $5-6 apiece, I'd make a killer buck just on replacing VRAM on defective or former mining cards. In the real world I can only do some GTX 9 and 10-series cards on a case-by-case basis, cause not everyone in Ukraine wants to pay upwards of $100 to get their GPU fixed properly.

Ahh, sure you are right, apologies from me then.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
More excuses to increase prices? Tell me something new please... I really wish AMD could deliver something revolutionary and stop this BS immediatly, but considering even their Vega GPUs are very expensive, doubt it will happen.

Meanwhile PS4 reaches 90 million sold units. Let´s guess what will happen when PS 5 launches for 500€, considering this PC hardware price madness. And yes we all can buy 2nd hand hardware; Ryzen prices are very good, RX570 awesome price, gtx 1060 3gb doable, but nvidia and intel are really making PC high-end market a niche and a premium thing, kind of apple. And people are getting tired of that.

Sorry that facts are getting in the way of your reality.
Vega GPUs were expensive because... HBM2... their suppliers quadrupled the prices on them making their cost more than their planned launch price. The original target was 300-350.
Everything else that uses HBM2 is a $6k FPGA or server gpu... memory suppliers price fixed... again.

GDDR6 only costing 20% more at best than current (not original) gddr5 prices means Navi should be budget friendly.
PS4 uses GDDR5 and can be sold at a lost and gains made on game sales. GFX cards cant be sold like that.

jianchi

GDDR6 is the latest six-generation technology. Compared with the current mainstream GDDR5, it is more advanced and has a higher frequency, which is more conducive to improving the performance of graphics cards.

The difference between GDDR6 and GDDR5

Video memory is a factor that affects the performance of graphics cards. As the next generation version of GDDR5, GDDR6 has been upgraded in the following aspects

level:

1. The memory speed of GDDR6 has been increased from 12Gbps of GDDR5 to 16Gbps, and 18Gbps products are also being planned

Medium, the memory speed has been greatly improved;

2. GDDR6 adopts dual-channel read-write design, while GDDR5X / 5/4/3/2/1 and other versions are all single-channel;

3. The maximum cache capacity of the GDDR6 standard in the future can reach 32Gb, while the most common GDDR5 is 8Gb single

grain;

4. GDDR6 memory bandwidth can reach 16Gbpsx384bit-8 = 768GB / s. Taking GTX 1080 as an example, its display

The memory bandwidth is 11 * 256/8 = 352GB /, the former bandwidth has almost doubled;

5. The operating voltage of GDDR6 is lower than that of GDDR5, which means that the former not only has stronger performance, but also consumes more power.

low.

Simply put, GDDR6 is faster, larger, and more power efficient than GDDR5.

Last but not least, for it's price, we can see the folling picture, I found it on the internet.
企业微信截图_20200413180701.png

From the prices quoted, it can be calculated that total storage costs only about $ 35-45 (GDDR5) or $ 55-75 (GDDR6) for say 8GB GiB. Doubling the amount of storage to 16 GiB would also double the purchase cost, so the storage would cost around $ 70- $ 90 or $ 110-150. Cost factors such as assembly and even the more complex boards are not taken into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.