• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's CES 2019 Keynote - Stream & Live Blog

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I can't tell who are shills and who have deluded themselves into made up leaks about performance that never existed. Wccftech is leaking. Might as well start deleting posts that say insane things as fact.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
I can't tell who are shills and who have deluded themselves into made up leaks about performance that never existed. Wccftech is leaking. Might as well start deleting posts that say insane things as fact.

The fact that they match power hungry 9900K with far less power tells us there is lots of headroom.
IE. 8700K will be mainstream performance very soon, and that is good.
Chiplet allows for all of the rumors to be true (16 core)

Clocks are 1.8GHz and it has two 8-pin pcie connectors, so probably near ~300W TDP.

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-instinct-mi60-datasheet.pdf

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I know it's the numbers of shares and yes, that's a signifier that a lot of people are executing a lot transactions not the other way around. Doesn't necessarily means that's always the case but more often that not it is, unless of course you have a reason to believe it's not. And if you do, by all means go ahead.

It's just that it seems rather unlikely that anyone but a small fry trader would dump their stock because Lisa said Vega VII is is 699$, as was the scenario you suggest. :)

They didn't really make a dent, no one did, that was my point. These single digit % figures aren't of any particular significance. Wait a couple more days and we'll see then if there really was a dent or not made.

1) a 7% swing in a stock when the rest of the competitors closed higher is a huge dent. Apple dropped 8% the other day and they had to halt trading. Will they recover? Yes but pretending it's not a big deal when it was one of the most active stocks today is just trolling at this point.

2) The way volume is computed does not mean "alot of people making alot of transactions". At all. There is no way to tell from the volume whether it was a few large transactions or many tiny ones. 60% of AMD stock is owned institutionally as per the last 13F so it would be insane to assume "only small fry investors" dumped their stock.

3) AMD pricing themselves into an bad competitive position in a core market (GFX) for the foreseeable future is kind of a big deal; I know you're trying to minimize it by "Lisa said Vega VII is is 699$" but that directly translates to their sales. Institutional investors react much, much faster and have a broader set of instruments than your average Joe.... If you think they're sitting on their hands watching a few hundred million evaporate, you're dreaming. They were the first ones out.

Attachments

• 1547082763656.png
    1547082763656.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
System Name Multiple desktop/server builds
Processor Desktops: 13900K, 5800X3D, 12900K | Servers: 2 x 3900X, 2 x 5950X, 3950X, 2950X, 8700K
Motherboard Z690 Apex, X570 Aorus Xtreme, Z690-I Strix
Cooling All watercooled
Memory DDR5-6400C32, DDR4-3600C14, DDR5-6000C36
Video Card(s) 4090 Gaming OC, 4090 TUF OC, 2 x 3090, 2 x 2080Ti, 1080Ti Gaming X EK, 2 x 1070, 2 x 1060
Storage dozens of TBs of SSDs, 112TB NAS, 140TB NAS
Display(s) Odyssey Neo G9, PG35VQ, P75QX-H1
Case Caselabs S8, Enthoo Elite, Meshlicious, Cerberus X, Cerberus, 2 x Velka 7, MM U2-UFO, Define C
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + SMSL SP200, Grace DAC + Drop THX AAA, Sony HT-A9, Nakamichi 9.2.4
Power Supply AX1200, Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse G Pro X Superlight Black + White
Keyboard Wooting 60HE, Moonlander
VR HMD Index, Oculus CV1
Could also be for 16c chip, Lisa never said that 8c was the top dog.

You can see the traces reflecting in the light lol.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Pretty salty and disappointed about all this, and I am not afraid or timid to say it. The one and only positive announcement from CES for now was Nvidia supporting A-Sync.

I really, REALLY wanted AMD to come with something really disruptive, I deeply dislike Adored, but I hoped he was correct in that video and others, because i want more power for consumers, and corporate greed kept in check. None of that happened. Greed marches forward.

Shame, shame, shame.
There are certain telltale signs I keep repeating to people every product cycle of CPUs or GPUs from AMD, Intel or Nvidia; the final specs with name and especially clock speeds are the last thing the maker decides. The clock speeds are always decided after they have the final stepping and it has been verified as "qualification samples", that's when they analyze a good volume of final chips, pick the binning and the clock speeds. This usually happens a few weeks ahead of release or in some cases a little longer. But this does not happen before they have the final stepping.

So there is a reason why Lisa Su said things the way she did, it's not that she don't believe in the product, it's the fact that AMD don't have the final stepping yet and haven't decided on the final core configurations and clock speeds. I'm sure they have taped out what they intend to be the final stepping, but it will still be a while before they get these back from the factory. Also notice that AMD didn't commit to a release date, this could be due to concerns about yields, risk of needing extra steppings or simply potential delays in motherboards/chipsets.

So we know that AMD doesn't know the final specs yet, because the final chips doesn't exist yet, so we therefore know that anyone who claims to know these specs are lying. We commonly get these "leaks" ahead of releases, and while some of them might be partially based on actual sources, any claims of specific clock speeds etc. months ahead of release is pure speculation. There is nothing wrong in speculating as long as you don't claim it's anything other than that. But there are certain tech websites and opinionators on Youtube who keep coming with these "leaks", fully knowing these to be pure speculation. And people keep "forgiving" them, even though their leaks are all over the place and nearly all the specifics in the "leaks" are wrong, except for the obvious info we all can come up with. So when these "leaks" come from these certain people (you all know who), it's not leaks, it's fake news trying to drive traffic to their Youtube channel or website.

<snip>
I might be wrong about this as ryzen 3 sample could be as 10% slow than intel 9900k or equally on cinebench single thread.
I wouldn't speculate too much considering we don't know the clocks of their engineering sample.
But I would mention that for Zen 1 Cinebench is giving AMD more favorable scores than their general performance vs. Intel, and assuming Zen 2 isn't worse than Zen 1, I would expect Zen 2 to be a bit ahead of 9900K in Cinebench to be on par with it on average.

I wouldn't speculate too much considering we don't know the clocks of their engineering sample.
But I would mention that for Zen 1 Cinebench is giving AMD more favorable scores than their general performance vs. Intel, and assuming Zen 2 isn't worse than Zen 1, I would expect Zen 2 to be a bit ahead of 9900K in Cinebench to be on par with it on average.

I do think overall performance zen 2 will be faster x i9 9900k to around 10% if clocks are equal, which includes single thread and multithread.