• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CES 2019: GIGABYTE's AORUS Monitor, Aero Laptops With NVIDIA RTX inside

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
GIGABYTE at CES 2019 took the lid of its ultra-secret AORUS monitor, which we covered earlier in January. It's now confirmed to be built around a 27-inch 1440p IPS panel with the flaunted 10-bit color and 144 Hz refresh rate with FreeSync support (here's hoping NVIDIA's G-Sync will support it as well). It is certified with VESA's DisplayHDR 400 (peak brightness of 400 nits). There's RGB lighting throughout the carcass of the monitor, a 90º swivel, gaming features such as Aim Stabilizer, Black Equalizer and Super Resolution, and the AORUS monitor is expected to roll out around $599.

On to laptops, with GIGABYTE showcasing its Aero 15-X9 and Y-9 gaming laptops which will pack NVIDIA's RTX graphics inside (the X9 will offer an RTX 2070, while the Y9 will offer an RTX 2080). The Aero 15-Y9 will offer a 4K/60 Hz panel, but system configuration starts at 1080p/144 Hz for the Aero 15-X9. Other system specs include Intel's 8th Gen CPUs in the form of Intel's Core i7-8850H processor on the X9 and an i9 (appropriately) on the Y9, an Intel 760P SSD, Thunderbolt 3 connectivity and Killer 1150 802.11ac WiFi. There's support for Microsoft's Azure AI, an opt-in cloud-based performance enhancing solution that analyzes your system's CPU, GPU, temperatures, keyboard and audio usage data for on-the-fly adjustments.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
might be my next monitor. Would love some 10 bit colors. Current TN panel is banding everywhere.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
might be my next monitor. Would love some 10 bit colors. Current TN panel is banding everywhere.

And where you would get that 10bit content?

BTW I use a 10bit monitor...

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
And where you would get that 10bit content?

BTW I use a 10bit monitor...

I have a bunch of vector wallpapers with gradients that band like crazy when i use them .... also in games i see color banding all the time. I always assumed its the limitation of the 8 bit panel.

Good monitor & finally its not curved, but...seems to be more expensive than 27 inch165hz Gsync IPS monitor...

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I have a bunch of vector wallpapers with gradients that band like crazy when i use them .... also in games i see color banding all the time. I always assumed its the limitation of the 8 bit panel.

I had some bad colour banding in some games but I feel that is just the game being made with a limit ermm "colour pallete" that it being the monitor.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk

Windows cannot put a 10bit wallpaper imho. JPG is limited by design... the more you have to regedit tweak to prevent image compression when putting wallpaper... ie digging in the wrong direction.

The amount of content is really low. Unfortunately yes... but that's the reality.

VasDrakken

Windows cannot put a 10bit wallpaper imho. JPG is limited by design... the more you have to regedit tweak to prevent image compression when putting wallpaper... ie digging in the wrong direction.

The amount of content is really low. Unfortunately yes... but that's the reality.

10 bit color is not possible with a jpeg but on a 10 bit display you only see the colors that can be referenced not the colors that are out of spec. That said BMP, DIB, PNG, TIF, TGA, and hundreds of other file formats support 10 bit color. So you picture of your kids you took on a cheap digital camera that crushed the information down to FRFGDB8A instead of 16R16G16B16A2, still shows the same colors it is only the colors outside of the Adobe RGB and NTSC8 that are unused. Cameras that store the raw data can be run through programs to output TIF or TGA file formats and those can be saved as light weight PNG files that support some of the colors that are REC2020 which stands for recognizably twenty twenty vision. In theory the TIF, TGA32, PNG, BMP/DIB, and EXR all support REC2020. Until we have 16 bit displays we can not know if they look like sun light nature. So far on nonfar displays PNG, TIF, EXR, KRA, BMP/DIB can all display more colors. I had to pull out my pantone color book to verify the colors actually match but as far as I can tell there are not enough separations are the midtones and replicating some of the purer tones of red, yellow and blue are still not possible. A pure saturated yellow like saffron or the freshly painted yellow strips on the road is 12 14 or 16 bits away from white, the red that can not be displayed is the old fire engine red or the pantone color rouge. The blue that can not be displayed is Azure which is offend replaced by baby blue or torqise because color blind people can not actually the color, it just appears to be grey color. One of my friends Paul Meyer is color blind and I showed him the fabric of my pants and asked him what he saw and he said it had to red it was like looking at an old fire engine. He sighed and asked what color it was. I grinned and said blue or more properly azure. He blinked and said blue is darker than that. I got him to explain what color he saw and I dug a hematite rock that had been in a rock tumbler and he said the hue is the right color but there is a pattern that moves in the pants. I grinned and said it is velvet, which is made in the traditional period method, of electroplating ores to wood pulp fibers which are refereed to as rayon or the sheep skin that the Scots and the Irish could not tear in half.

Most artists working off pantone color proofs say that they can tell the difference but some paintings that are painted with less saturated colors would still look normal on both displays. In video games it is usually the particle effects that use the separations and wider gaument from the center of the color triangle to make the colors stand out from the back ground and the characters. Games that achive the best use of fore ground mid ground, back ground and distant zone, use a color shift shader so that if the object is so far from the camera it uses mip map type technology to desaturate the colors as they get further away from the player. That only works so well and usually goes too far. But when you have ten bits of color you can shift the ground to darker versions of the same primary set of colors so that if and area uses yellows the ground might have eight bit colors that are all less saturated colors, which the things projected away from the ground the buildings might use a gradient to have the lowest level be the same less satureated colors while the building that tower over the character are more saturated until the distance they are from the camera de-saturates them back to greys and more natural earth tones. Then the characters which need to be in the foreground are full ten bit range allowing for players to look different than each other and always appear to stand out from the back ground. The partial effects usually limit to not include any eight bit colors, except grey tones.

The short version Microsoft has an app that helps you find ten bit backgrounds if you have a ten bit display, but unless you think the backgrounds that you have are missing the more saturated colors then you might not actually notice the difference.

The header file for jpeg and png. The 8 bit far devices likely are because some people would use jpegs to find the missing colors. JPEG 2000 was an attempt to create a jpeg that did not have the 8 bit color limitation but all JPG files that are properly created are not limited to Adobe RGB but they sample the 12 bit colors that are there and store only the color values that are present. That is what the sampling is for. The values are sampled based on a straight line from 255 to 0 with 248 being pure white and 13 being black, so that a color that is sampled as 252 is supposed to be the missing colors that show up as brightest blue the color program can display. torquise was the brightest blue abode could display in the late ninties when it came out so all the programs that could display 12 bit analog color where wrong about what color azure was, and they eventually lost that fight with the fashion industry, but most of what people see on computer monitors is impacted by the years in which you had people who worked in the fashion and design industries and everyone else who was stuck with a lcd monitor capable of 256 separations of color. The logos stayed pantone colors because companies and corporations where not willing to be less than competitors.

JPEG 8bit FAR

R G B A

PNG 10/20 bit

R G B A Upper/Lower

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
R G B A Upper/Lower

Are you an artist? Gosh... The only mission critical place for colors are if you are trying to print or etch and image, for example a lingerie catalogue... so the image matches the real life item and end of the world from the buyer is canceled. So baby blue, azure blue... WHO CARES? It is art for the most part, seconds it is not about the color but the number of them. The color issues are calibration stability of the panel and it is another whole story.

Then again, leaving all that behind. Why did you quote me? I said, Windows compositor DWM does not show images in 10bpp, it is actually hard locked in 8bpp mode. It is by design, the only way showing 10bpp is using DirectX or OpenGL code path, like Adobe etc does, the windows image viewer also works in DX11 mode for that, I am not sure about UWP platform and app mode.

The more windows does wallpaper compression by default, you can feed anything to it it will compress and cripple it. What 10bpp?? What's the whole talk about it?

VasDrakken

I am a technical artist and if you bought a copy world of warcraft catacylsm you would have seen my name next to art direction. For Panda land they bought on someone else to finish what I was finishing that someone else started. I actually did not mean to quote you, but the advanced display setting come from the driver inf and ini file you get from the mkg so there are displays that can and do display 10 bit color under windows ten, where you get a message that the display is in 10 bit color mode.

Having the option to select the vibrate colors and watching peopleʻs faces when you ask a focus group to chose between a scene using 8 bit color and one using 10 bit color, about six out of the ten point to the ten bit color scene and says it looks better but they have no idea why. Two of them point to the 8 bit and are usually laughing as they do and the other two go either way on the focus test. You can say DWM does not use more colors but the raster reads the pixel color not the header file. The header file is read by the program or application. The default windows color app in windows ten can read and display 14 bit gaumet color but many not all the seperations between azure and white. Windows apps can display many more seperations based on the display drivers of your device. Depending on your indiviaul system devices and if you replaced the default device with one from your manfuature you can see what azure looks like below. The azure that adobe could display is the baby blue the glow is the glow from the azure devices. If you can see a medium bright blue than you are seeing the ten bit image, if you see an almost white color you are seeing 8bit color.
14bitcolor_scaled.png

It really is about giving the artists choices and not accepting that if ten percent or the end users can only see color blind colors well then they are not going to see the game correctly anyway. Windows absolultly can display 10 bit color with a ten bit monitor, if you have an 8 bit monitor there really is no point in trying to explain until you upgrade to better quality of life devices. I know they have the in lavita because one of my friends in Lithiuna used to buy computer parts two hours away because the sek did not go as far as the euro in buying computer parts.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Windows absolultly can display 10 bit color with a ten bit monitor, if you have an 8 bit monitor there really is no point in trying to explain until you upgrade to better quality of life devices. I know they have the in lavita because one of my friends in Lithiuna used to buy computer parts two hours away because the sek did not go as far as the euro in buying computer parts.

You can't even spell two country names right... I don't care for who you are, as you totally don't understand many different things. Desktop compositor(where you see wallpaper, and the discussion was about that only.

Windows DWM -

The DXGI_OUTDUPL_DESC structure describes the dimension of the output and the surface that contains the desktop image. The format of the desktop image is always DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM.

It is a quote from Microsoft. Don't mix up DirectX or OpenGL modes, just I said previously. Windows can produce 10bpp+ via dirextX and OGL codepath. I repeat that again. I sincerely ask you to read and check facts.