• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Activision-Blizzard Stock Valuation Falls 10% in Wake of Bungie Split

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Whether Activision-Blizzard's split from Destiny and Destiny 2 developer Bungie was caused by an overzealous grip on Bungie's creative vision or not is something that will likely never be clarified. But one thing is for certain: in the stock market, it doesn't really matter how something happened, but really what the effects are of it happening. And Bungie splitting from Activision-Blizzard means that the industry behemoth now finds itself with one less IP under its belt, thus constraining its revenue sources to a couple of high-profile IPs. Less sources of income = less versatility and resilience to market fluctuations, and that is something Activision-Blizzard was immediately hit back for from investors.

The company's stock decreased by as much as 11% in the wake of the Bungie split, from a high of $51.35 down to a low of $45.19, as investors reduced their trust in the company's profit volume and momentum. It has since recovered, but is still some 9% down. Whether Activision actually expected this much of a fall or not only the company knows. It'll be interesting to see the company's next financial report, though.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
expect another 10% later this year when more call of duty fatigue sets in. treyarch is the only exception, the other companies year over year steadily decline.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It really warms my heart in this cold to see Activision's stock plummets. This is for your money-before-fun methods.

Needs more plummeting though. Much more. The irony is that Bungie is taking their well overpriced spoonfeed-grind franchise home with them, so you may have to wonder how positive it really is. If they really wanted to take a different approach, they'd have launched a new IP.

I think what really happened is that Destiny was never the success it ought to be and this is considered win-win for all involved. This wasn't for the gamers at all.

My congrats to Bungie that they've managed to cast of the shackles of pre-historic monstosity named activision. And I hope they didn't got contaminated while under act/bliz rule.

The move costs Activision a huge IP and revenue stream, and more importantly raises a lot of questions about the health of the internals at Activision that Bungie would go to this extreme. It's going to cost Bungie a small fortune in lost sales being outside of that marketing umbrella, so the fact that they went to this extreme says a lot. The fact that Bungie would accept that kind of massive hit is kind of like cutting off a limb to save a patient, and it does not reflect well on the current state of upper management at Activision at all.

Granted it was a 10 year agreement that simply was ended rather than renewed, so that saved a little face. But this change was a shock to the industry and normally it would have just been quietly renewed and continued. Bungie really wanted badly to get out of Activision to do this.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
expect another 10% later this year when more call of duty fatigue sets in. treyarch is the only exception, the other companies year over year steadily decline.

At this point Treyarch is really the only dev that has held onto it's team that works on that franchise.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
At this point Treyarch is really the only dev that has held onto it's team that works on that franchise.

the real sadness is, that no other company and Activision itself just doesn't get it, why treyarch is still successful and was from the beginning. it's because they always cater to the PC crowd and listen to our feedback, and the other companies never did nor cared. Activision just doesn't get it. Really sad that I could run a business better than their CEO can. I knew from blops 1 and 2 days that Treyarch was the glue holding it all together, I only have ever played the treyarch CoD's though, so i am pretty biased I guess.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The rest ended up at Respawn Entertainment... Who then got bought out by EA and EA celebrated by throwing all Respawn's works underneath a bus between CoD and BF releases...

I used to think that those from InfinityWard escaped the grasps of Activision to do something better with their lives but they've only gone to get dragged back into a toxic environment by another company that is equally as bad and as greedy as the one they all left.

(A lot of the original CoD team ended up working at Respawn)

System Name Dreamstation2
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Aorus 2080 Ti Turbo (sounds like a vaccum cleaner at full load)
Storage 2 x 1TB M.2 NVME + 1TB 2.5" SSD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 4k
Case NZXT H500i
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50x / Edifier R1855DB
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc CEOs, board of directors, are all a bunch of scumbags that ony see $$$ and have long lost grip on reality. Don't buy their games and then cry on forums how bad they are :)
Hey wait, I actually buy Activision (Blizzard) games so I'm a crybaby too hahaha. But EA was banned from my shopping list long time ago, maybe 15 years.

rrwards

My congrats to Bungie that they've managed to cast of the shackles of pre-historic monstosity named activision. And I hope they didn't got contaminated while under act/bliz rule.

You must have missed the $100 million that NetEase invested in Bungie. If you weren't aware of NetEase before, they're the Chinese company responsible for Diablo Immortal.

Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Case NZXT H500i
You must have missed the $100 million that NetEase invested in Bungie. If you weren't aware of NetEase before, they're the Chinese company responsible for Diablo Immortal.
Seems that they replaced a western scumbag company for a chinese scumbag company.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Last edited:
System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seems that they replaced a western scumbag company for a chinese scumbag company.
Not only that, now they don't have excuses for what Destiny will be from now on. Almost the same can be said for Blizzard and it's falling franchises since we know there is a big internal fighting between Activision and Blizzard and people is on Bliz's back, but Ion Hazzikostas has been on WoW dev team since before WoltK and he is pretty much the man before "great" ideas like diabloizing WoW's loot system, grinding for artifact/azerite, wiping 10 man raids, releasing raid content on june or how nowadays the game is an unispired neverending loop of bugs and mythic+ runs. It's all Activision's fault things are falling apart or there is something else?

Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Case NZXT H500i
Not only that, now they don't have excuses for what Destiny will be from now on. Almost the same can be said for Blizzard and it's falling franchises since we know there is a big internal fighting between Activision and Blizzard and people is on Bliz's back, but Ion Hazzikostas has been on WoW dev team since before WoltK and he is pretty much the man before "great" ideas like diabloizing WoW's loot system, grinding for artifact/azerite, wiping 10 man raids, releasing raid content on june or how nowadays the game is an unispired neverending loop of bugs and mythic+ runs. It's all Activision's fault things are falling apart or there is something else?
I guess there's more than one reason.
Of course Activision bosses want $$$ and press developers to produce the same thing over and over instead of creating something new that might or might not sell well. Keeping the same game is cheaper and less risky. Sure, sales might fall a bit, but profits stay high.
On the other hand, nothing lasts forever and WoW has been a success for too long. It's basically the same thing, just gets more polished with every expansion / patch.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
I'm one of the minority when it comes to Destiny, if you don't have problem with grinding but enjoy playing with friends and the gameplay then to me Destiny is a "successful" franchise for Bungie after only working on Halo franchise.
Destiny is my most played hours on my PS4 from day 1, purely because I enjoyed playing with friends.
I hope Bungie will work on something new and move away from FPS genre and try different genre altogether now that they have split from Activision.

D

Deleted member 158293

Bungie have made a name for themselves and probably do not need a publisher anymore, and Activision probably didn't want to shrink their piece of the money.

Looks like a good call to me.