• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metro Exodus Ditches Steam for Epic Games Store as Timed Exclusive

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I took a look at the Epic Store. They so far are the only ones listing Rbel Galaxy: Outlaw, a prequel to Rebel Galaxy. Epic might be worth looking at is all I am saying, for those not 100% committed to GOG or Steam.
Whichh I REALLY WANT! :love:

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
I was for another digital store until they started doing exclusives.

this is capitalism baby.
Be careful what you wish for ;)
Yes, destroy the competition then once there is no other alternative, raise prices significantly.
So long as GOG, Steam et al are healthy & profitable it's good for the consumers. The day they turn to red/go bust we'll see exactly what we're seeing in the GPU space or CPUs previously for a good decade, if not more.

And they keep hurting PC gaming. Yes I know some don´t care about having 10 different stores installed to play games, but a lot do and this starts to be another factor in favour of consoles.

D

Deleted member 158293

seems like such a bad publicity to allow this, lol. loads of bad publicity all for 16 days of a sale window? unless they check they wrote was massive... which im sure it was, this is a huge mistake...

1 year & 16 days

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Be careful what you wish for ;)So long as GOG, Steam et al are healthy & profitable it's good for the consumers. The day they turn to red/go bust we'll see exactly what we're seeing in the GPU space or CPUs previously for a good decade, if not more.

oh? lower prices is a bad thing and more profit for the game makers? sure thing. also i could care less if gaming died, its one of my many hobbies, i will simply read more adventures instead of play them, welcome to 1st world issues.

1 year & 16 days

my brain must have died, lol thanks for clarifying, that makes more sense.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
The only issue I have with Epic is it’s just a storefront that well, appears to be poaching games. Steam is WAY more than just a storefront and we all know it..

We need to support 4A Games as a publisher, put aside this stupid linear and tunnel vision way of thinking. They are a small studio they do need funds and if Epic were able to help them out good for them. We always cry about greedy AAA publishers and about miscrotransaction and how they ruin the art of creating video games. Now instead of supporting an amazing developer we hide behind a stupid insignificant things like installing a new launcher. Well I guess we do not deserve publishers like them. When all of us will swim in the vast ocean of microtranscation purgatory in a few years don't cry because we deserve every single drop of it.

oh? lower prices is a bad thing and more profit for the game makers? sure thing. also i could care less if gaming died, its one of my many hobbies, i will simply read more adventures instead of play them, welcome to 1st world issues.

my brain must have died, lol thanks for clarifying, that makes more sense.
Who said lower prices, for consumers, is a bad thing? But not some of these "introductory" prices, which can get jacked up when there's a monopoly or just one store selling that game.

Good to know, if it weren't for insane prices of hard/soft cover books these days I'd also read more. Reading books on a tablet, e reader is not something I fancy - having grown up in a time/place where the feel of books IMO will never be usurped.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Killing one channel with millions of possible buyers for a bit more money per sale from a way smaller market (Epic Game store).
Marketing 9000+.

I think the game sells itself anyway, the platform isn't relevant at all.

Which is the actual take away here, I think. Its just a store, people. Steam too, no matter how much additional BS they build around it.

We need to support 4A Games as a publisher, put aside this stupid linear and tunnel vision way of thinking. They are a small studio they do need funds and if Epic were able to help them out good for them. We always cry about greedy AAA publishers and about miscrotransaction and how they ruin the art of creating video games. Now instead of supporting an amazing developer we hide behind a stupid insignificant things like installing a new launcher. Well I guess we do not deserve publishers like them. When all of us will swim in the vast ocean of microtranscation purgatory in a few years don't cry because we deserve every single drop of it.

Precisely! Its not even about 'the DRM' anymore, which in the case of the double DRM of back when with Steam moving to buggy Uplay + shitty servers is absolutely justified.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Who said lower prices, for consumers, is a bad thing? But not some of these "introductory" prices, which can get jacked up when there's a monopoly or just one store selling that game.

Good to know, if it weren't for insane prices of hard/soft cover books these days I'd also read more. Reading books on a tablet, e reader is not something I fancy - having grown up in a time/place where the feel of books IMO will never be usurped.

I go to the public library, and if they don't have the book I want they order it for me. Evergreen Indiana is a united one state library, it's pretty neat, and free. I guess I am set even if the book industry begins to fail since I have such a large backlog. Cheers for reminding me.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Well said. I’m going to vote with my wallet and get Exodus on Epic. There is no guarantee it will ever come to GOG, and it’s cheaper on Epic than Steam.

Steam has become a middle aged parent totally out of touch with their kids. Frankly it reeks of mothballs. It is a confusing jumble of so many worthless games and early access, some which never finish, and a few good ones.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Well said. I’m going to vote with my wallet and get Exodus on Epic. There is no guarantee it will ever come to GOG, and it’s cheaper on Epic than Steam.

Steam has become a middle aged parent totally out of touch with their kids. Frankly it reeks of mothballs. It is a confusing jumble of so many worthless games and early access, some which never finish, and a few good ones.

The last time I browsed Steam and ended up with an interesting game to play was... I honestly can't remember. Its always been just a store for me. With a neat library and workshop function, but game devs can manage that last one just fine themselves, they only had to connect to it.

I must say if I compare that to for example GOG as a store, GOG seems to be so much neater, more organized, less cluttered and better curated.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Lets all be serious now and accept the fact that Steam has done nothing to improve the platform for years.
That's a bit of a narrow view. Check out Jim Sterling's channel. He had lots to say about it this year, including a big "sitdown" with steam curators, improvements of the game validation process, cleaning up the mess and banning dishonest "developers".
There are still problems, for sure, but there has been lots of movement in the right direction.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
That's a bit of a narrow view. Check out Jim Sterling's channel. He had lots to say about it this year, including a big "sitdown" with steam curators, improvements of the game validation process, cleaning up the mess and banning dishonest "developers".
There are still problems, for sure, but there has been lots of movement in the right direction.

Well, given the % of the market they own, they should be doing a hell of a lot more. This feels like a skeleton crew at work. Valve time may apply for their gaming, but a marketplace won't accept it.

like most monopolies they just became lazy until competition arrived, hopefully gabe re-thinks his strategies.
Yeah hopefully he'll shit can Artifact after its lackluster following and finally make Half Life 3 (the game pretty much every man, woman and dog wanted to be announced at TI7 but wasn't).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Well, given the % of the market they own, they should be doing a hell of a lot more. This feels like a skeleton crew at work. Valve time may apply for their gaming, but a marketplace won't accept it.

I like how it still takes this multi billion dollar private company called Steam 2 weeks sometimes to reply to a question to customer service. Absolutely amazes me. I asked about the Christmas knock-knack badge from the 2018 holiday, and why it is permanent on everyones profile page, I hate that brown turd right at the top of my steam profile and crafting new badges doesn't slide it over like other badges get slid over... I spent a lot of time making my profile pleasing to the eye as a lot of people I know have. Valve and Gabe just do not get it anymore, old and lazy and out of touch. I am really glad Epic Games is kicking major butt lately, and this is only the beginning I think, they are coming at Steam like a freight train with insane amounts of Fortnite money to back them up, because they know Fortnite won't last forever and they want a more permanent foundation.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
One less game I wont get to not finish.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Companies buying exclusivity (monopoly) always ends up expensive for the consumer long term.
I highly doubt there's any exclusivity agreement involved. Epic Games Store simply makes an offer that makes everyone else look like highway robbery (and it's true, really). Costs to distribute games are constantly falling but the amount distributors ask for does not. It's past due time for that to change. Developers/publishers deserve a bigger share.

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
Well, that's unfortunate. Now I won't get to experience their game, and they won't get to experience my money. Lose/lose.

Anyway, why can't it be on both stores or all the other ones out there too? i can't believe how people are defending this nonsense with "Developer will earn more cash in Epic Store". This is basically giving the finger to Steam consumers. I own over 450 Titles on Steam and i am not about to give up my library for one or two titles. I will no longer support any other Digital Store appart from Steam and GoG. This is not Competition, this is a new low for Deep Silver. Poor Metro Devs.

Back in the days of physical distribution copies retailers took nearly half the cash of every sale, and everyone was ok with it. Steam comes with their new System of Digital Distribution taking only a 30% and everyone moves there with joy. Now a decade later everyone shitting on Steam because they are supposedly being "unfair" to Developers. Trading in a few extra % Cash instead of all the possible sales on Steam. Idiotic move, plus all the hate from the PC Gamers out there, which are 95% of Steam users. Publishers are just getting greedier and want every little extra cash possible. I think Steam could offer to cut their 30% to 20% to basically every title on Steam and it's still fair because of the massive amount of Steam users there.

Last edited:
Processor 9700K
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge
Memory 32GB Micron VLP 18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Display(s) Samsung G9 NEO
Case Formd T1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
If all game manufacturers stop releasing on steam, I guess I'll go back to playing cracked copies of games.. Same goes for all the tv/movie content providers moving to their own streaming services.... People don't want dozens of accounts, services, etc... at least I don't.

Please don't forget what Valve did and is doing for Linux. They're not just another greedy monopoly.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I was for another digital store until they started doing exclusives.

This is clearly how you make valve bend. If everyone starts jumping ship, then they'll have to lower prices. Steam markup is the same as apple, insane.