• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metro Exodus Developer Discusses Boycott of the PC Platform for Sequels over Steam Review Bombing

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
review bombing is one thing, screwing customers over a "last minute" change is plain wrong, no matter how you look at it. Also, for a "game dev" threatening the large fanbase over petty review bombing shows how childish they are. If they really cared about their customers & not those lobbyists, then they should have put up an apology that they couldn't do shit coz their publishers; Deep Silver had the final say.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
They promise to release on one platform
PC is a PLATFORM, just as consoles are a PLATFORM. Steam is no more a separate platform from Uplay that Xbox1 is a separate platform from PS4.

this. Stay on topic and don't marginalize any of those problems by comparing them out of context.
People aren’t marginalizing out of context. In the grand scheme of things, they are pointing out this is so minor it won’t even be a footnote in history. It won’t cause famine or wars or disease or poverty. It’s a first world problem in which self-important entitled people think everything should be to their liking.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
So the MOB turned against the developer only because users refuse to install another game launch platform on their machines. Such gamer's do not deserve this kind of game at first place.

After steam, UPLAY and Battle.net, I do not mind installing EPIC game launcher if i can enjoy my game. I bet some toxic people along with steam is putting fuel to the fire and loving it.
I understand where people are coming from but slight annoyance should not keep you away from the game that you will enjoy.

Last edited:

M2B

Processor Intel Core i5-8600K @4.9GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
Memory XPG 8GBx2 - 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8G 11Gbps
Storage 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U
Case Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Power Supply EVGA 650 P2
PC is a PLATFORM, just as consoles are a PLATFORM.
Sorry if that wasn't specific enough. Corrected.
People aren’t marginalizing out of context.
That is exactly what he was doing.
It won’t cause famine or wars or disease or poverty.
And no one expects it to.
It’s a first world problem which self-important entitled people think everything should be to their liking.
It is not relevant what part of the world it happens in, people want to play games as a form of entertainment. THEY are the ones paying and feel like they should have a say in how they play. If they don't want use a certain platform, they vote with their wallet. But if they want to let the dev/publisher know of their displeasure at the lack of choice, how do they do that? Looks like they found a way and that message is being heard. And the dev in question is reacting as wisely as the choice which motivated the public angst in the first place.

So the MOB turned against the developer only because users refuse to install another game launch platform on their machines. Such gamer's do not deserve this kind of game at first place.
That is the same narrow-minded nonsense that started all of this.

I understand where people are coming from but slight annoyance should not keep you away from the game that you will enjoy.
Slight annoyance? Keep thinking that when you're denied access to the game you paid for because of some silly problem or the whim of a dev. All DRM sucks. Steam's form of it is the least offensive and irritating. Epic's is a pain in the butt. No thank you.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
It is not relevant what part of the world it happens in, people want to play games as form of entertainment. THEY are ones paying and feel like they should have a say in how they play.

• People don't control how things are done at Disney.
  • People don't control how tings are done at sporting events.
  • People don't control how things are done at state fairs and such.
  • People don't go review bomb imdb when a Disney movie doesn't end how they want (I hope) Edit: previously released movies.

This who thing just screams childish, self-entitlement. Just go ahead and pretend all of these games are self-installed. Close your eyes and imagine yourself entering a disk.

System Name Windows 10
Processor intel i5-4440 3.1 ghz
Motherboard asus h81m-c
Cooling Be Quiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory Corsair 4gb 1600mhz Kingston 4gb1600 mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X 1050ti
Storage WD Blue ezex 2017 edition 7200rpm 1tb 64mb cache - Seagate 500gb 5900 rpm 6mb cache - Corsair Force
Display(s) Asus VG248Q
Case Aerocool LS 5200
Audio Device(s) Corsair void pro usb rgb / audio technica ath-m50x
Power Supply Seasonic m12ii 520w evo full modular
Mouse Logitech G502 RGB
Keyboard X7 G800V Gaming
Software Windows 10
I am pretty sure the devs are retarded and acting like 16 y/o child.

Steam is a serious platform when you compare to epic games which means kids.

• People don't control how things are done at Disney.
  • People don't control how tings are done at sporting events.
  • People don't control how things are done at state fairs and such.
  • People don't go review bomb imdb when a Disney movie doesn't end how they want (I hope) Edit: previously released movies.
You're going out of context again. Comparing apples to oranges mean anything to you?

Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Case Thermaltake View 71
Sorry if that wasn't specific enough. Corrected.

That is exactly what he was doing.

And no one expects it to.

It is not relevant what part of the world it happens in, people want to play games as form of entertainment. THEY are ones paying and feel like they should have a say in how they play. If they don't want use a certain platform, they vote with their wallet. But if they want to let the dev/publisher know of their displeasure at the lack of choice, how do they do that? Looks like they found a way and that message is being heard. And the dev in question is reacting as wisely as the choice which motivated the public angst in the first place.

That is the same narrow-minded nonsense that started all of this.

Slight annoyance? Keep thinking that when you're denied access to the game you paid for because of some silly problem or the whim of a dev. All DRM sucks. Steam's form of it is the least offensive and irritating. Epic's is a pain in the butt. No thank you.

How is it narrow minded when I cleared mentioned that I do consider alternative perspectives of others and concerns but this is not the end of world or PC gaming. Developers have full discretion how to release their game. This is not a new two man team indie developer. 4A Games might be an underdog but have a proven track record when it comes to fantastic METRO series. This reminds of Cloud Imperium Games even though kick starter goals have been changed dozens of time and yet consumers are still spending money.

Last edited:
Case Thermaltake View 71
Sure they do and people have the discretion to express their discontent.

True but in Civilized society we do not rush to arm ourselves with pitchfork and torches.

This is a perfect example about what you are defending "but this then led to the mob turning against Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light by leaving an extreme number of negative reviews on the respective Steam store pages."

It is shameful to see people leave negative comments on PAST games only because their do not agree with developers choice of platform for their upcoming game.

True but in Civilized society we do not rush to arm ourselves with pitchfork and torches.
More out-of-context talk.
It is shameful to see people leave negative comments on PAST games only because their do not agree with developers choice of platform for their upcoming game.
I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's their only option to communicate with the devs in a meaningful way. My personal take is that until they bring the title to GOG, I'm not buying it. Epic sucks as much as Origin, not using it. But my choice doesn't communicate anything to the dev. With me not buying, they don't know I'm a potential sale that's being lost due to their choice of platform conflicting with my preferences.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
You're going out of context again. Comparing apples to oranges mean anything to you?

Except it's not. These are all avenues for people to find entertainment. It's quite disheartening to see many adults (I think anyway) to act in such a childish manner. I expected better from some of you.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
If they are not releasing it on steam, then why do they care about the review bombs on steam then? Game isn't out yet anyway.

Case Thermaltake View 71
More out-of-context talk.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's their only option to communicate with the devs in a meaningful way. My personal take is that until they bring the title to GOG, I'm not buying it. Epic sucks as much as Origin, not using it. But my choice doesn't communicate anything to the dev. With me not buying, they don't know I'm a potential sale that's being lost due to their choice of platform conflicting with my preferences.

But you are utterly defending this behavior and that says a lot thus adding fuel to the fire saying. Strange I did not see consumers leave Negative feedback for Windows 7 when Windows 10 is imperfect OS.

This whole situation is wrong, immoral and childish since now you are turning off potential buyers of previous METRO 2033 and METRO Last light with negative feedback on steam. Punishing/ Boycott developer for their upcoming title is one thing but its another when you flood their PAST titles with negative reviews or change your reviews all together.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
How not to handle pr
cue them back peddling and blaming it on a translation error in 3 2 1 ...

I thought 4a was better then this apparently I am yet again reminded that all developers are whiny children

and no I will not buy this game from the epics garbage platform they have a history of not knowing what the fuck they are doing (security breaches loss of user and credit data Nooooo thank you)

good way to encourage people to pirate your shit, put it on a shitty platform with a poor track record and watch people flok to the usual places to get it for free

Pretty sure its publisher or creator right to sell it wherever they want. And Im perfectly ok with that.

They did it cause EPIC takes least of their money. Which as far as Im concerned are money well deserved.

This wouldnt happen if Steam offered something like fair share.

If I was making game, I would try to deliver it to fans as cheap as I can (preferably while also getting largest cut of it). Cause its kinda hard to make any next game if you dont have money for it.

But you are utterly defending this behavior and that says a lot thus adding fuel to the fire saying.
Not defending it, only stating that I understand it. And if all of this motivates the devs to branch out and stop the exclusivity BS, then mores the better. If they decide to cut their noses off to spite their faces, that's their own problem.

D

Deleted member 158293

Don't understand why anyone is surprised by this ?! This developer has a history of taking money for exclusivity stuff through the years... especially from nvidia for gameworks and now rtx, so why not Epic also?

They are following the same thing they always do.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
except epic is playing dirty there not interested in giving developers a piece of the pie

here is how this is gonna go for the people that don't get it

epic is gonna offer a tasty agreement to get devs signed on, then once they have signed away there rights there gonna ratchet the percent they take right up to the limit

epic is not the good guy here there the bad guys there playing dirty because they want a piece of the digital distribution pie and if you think for a nano second they give two fucks about the developers you obviously understand very little

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
But if they want to let the dev/publisher know of their displeasure at the lack of choice, how do they do that? Looks like they found a way and that message is being heard. And the dev in question is reacting as wisely as the choice which motivated the public angst in the first place.
Here’s the thing. Very few dev’s have any control over how and where their product is sold. Heck, most can’t even control the release date and have to send out unfinished products per the demand of the publisher. The dev is not who went with Epic. It’s THQ.

People don’t need to be giving false reviews of their prior releases Metro games. You act as if the publisher has no idea so many people are angry. Of course they do! So to back that up all the people need to do is not buy the game. Publishers are filled with businesss types that can add 1plus 1. If it doesn’t sell well, they will know why. But to blast the devs by negative ratings of the previous games is not fair and is the height of priveleged immaturity.

Case Thermaltake View 71
Pretty sure its publisher or creator right to sell it wherever they want. And Im perfectly ok with that.

They did it cause EPIC takes least of their money. Which as far as Im concerned are money well deserved.

This wouldnt happen if Steam offered something like fair share.

If I was making game, I would try to deliver it to fans as cheap as I can (preferably while also getting largest cut of it). Cause its kinda hard to make any next game if you dont have money for it.

Bingo, it all boils down to financial situation like everything else these days. Steam has overgrown it's usefulness and has dominated the sector for a while for a good reason. They probably see METRO Exodus as a next big hit and overreaction at the highest.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Here’s the thing. Very few dev’s have any control over how and where their product is sold. Heck, most can’t even control the release date and have to send out unfinished products per the demand of the publisher.

People don’t need to be giving false reviews of their prior releases Metro games. You act as if the publisher has no idea so many people are angry. Of course they do! So to back that up all the people need to do is not buy the game. Publishers are filled with businesss types that can add 1plus 1. If it doesn’t sell well, they will know why. But to blast the devs by negative ratings of the previous games is not fair and is the height of priveleged immaturity.

except this is not a publisher issue its a dev issue its 4A them selves running their mouths here and it was 4A's choice to get suckered in by epic

and once again epic are not the good guys here you people need to have look at their track record

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
except this is not a publisher issue its a dev issue its 4A them selves running their mouths here and it was 4A's choice to get suckered in by epic

and once again epic are not the good guys here you people need to have look at their track record
No. A member of the dev team (supposedly) stated the truth: if money is not made on the PC platform, there won’t be any money for the next game to be on PC. Do you know why? Because the publishers front development money, in anticipation of a game recouping their investment plus profit.

So the member of the dev team is simply pointing out that without sales, the dev team gets paid less and the publisher won’t front pc development and distribution money again. This person recognizes the harsh realities and how 4A gets the short end of the stick in this.