• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon VII Has No UEFI Support

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
In what is turning out to be a massive QA oversight by AMD, people who bought retail Radeon VII graphics cards report that their cards don't support UEFI, and that installing the card in their machines causes their motherboard to engage CSM (compatibility support module), a key component of UEFI firmware that's needed to boot the machine with UEFI-unaware hardware (such as old storage devices, graphics cards, NICs, etc.,).

To verify this claim, we put the stock video BIOS of our Radeon VII sample in a hex editor, and what we found out startled us. The BIOS completely lacks UEFI support, including a GOP (graphics output protocol) driver. A GOP driver is a wafer-thin display driver that runs basic display functions on your GPU during the pre-boot environment. Without UEFI support for the graphics card (i.e. with CSM running), Windows 10 cannot engage Secure Boot. Since UEFI Secure Boot is a requirement for Microsoft Windows 10 Logo certification, we are having doubts whether AMD can really claim "Windows 10 compatible" for Radeon VII, at least until a BIOS update is available.

ASRock is the first AMD AIB (add-in board partner) to release a corrective BIOS update. Although designed for its Radeon VII Phantom Gaming graphics card, this BIOS ROM works with any reference-design Radeon VII graphics card. All Radeon VII cards are identical, so flashing the ASRock BIOS onto a Radeon VII from AMD or any other board partner will not cause any issues.

Parsing the ASRock BIOS ROM file through a hex editor lets us see telltale signs of UEFI support, including the GOP micro-driver. Please pay attention to the highlighted UEFI-magic, which, when read in Intel byte-order, becomes "0EF1" aka "UEFI" in leetspeak. This magic sequence of bytes tells the rest of the system that the BIOS on this specific device reports that it supports the UEFI standard.

It is highly likely that most, if not all, Radeon VII graphics cards shipped so far lack UEFI support, and in the coming days, all AIB partners could come up with BIOS updates. Trouble is, updating video BIOS isn't anywhere near as easy as updating motherboard BIOS, and not everyone is skilled or confident enough to tinker with it. One option AMD could try is an encapsulated one-click BIOS updater that can run from within Windows.

Last year, NVIDIA corrected widespread DisplayPort issues in its "Pascal" graphics cards using such an approach. Until something like that happens, you can grab the updated Radeon VII Phantom Gaming video BIOS from the TechPowerUp VGA BIOS Database, linked below. The ATI/AMD BIOS flashing software can also be found in our downloads section.

DOWNLOAD: ASRock Radeon VII Phantom Gaming BIOS Update with UEFI Support

Update Feb 12: AMD has confirmed that they will release a one-click BIOS updater on AMD.com very soon, and that their board partners have received a UEFI capable BIOS.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Oops! :oops:
It's so easy to forget something important when things are rushed. I've learned that the hard way…

BTW, have you reached out to other reviewers if they can confirm the same problem?

Non-issue. Non-"problem". Just flash the ASRock UEFI BIOS for now. Already been discussed here.

A UEFI updater tool that can add the latest AMD GOP version(2.5.0.0.0 which can both be downloaded here) also already exists. I just can't confirm it works(as in results in a BIOS that will boot) with the Radeon VII BIOS(as I don't own a Radeon VII). You still need to know exactly what you're doing with the tool. But I've already done it twice now for the Radeon VII BIOS(with 2 different AMD GOP versions). Which is a walk in the park for me. Since I've been doing the same with other AMD BIOSes for quite a while now.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Non-issue. Non-"problem". Just flash the ASRock UEFI BIOS. Already been discussed here.

A UEFI updater tool that can add the latest AMD GOP version(2.5.0.0.0 which can both be downloaded here) also already exists. I just can't confirm it works with the Radeon VII BIOS(as I don't own a Radeon VII).

But it is an issue. Some people are not willing to do such software modding. It's okay for those, like yourself, who are competent but many folks that buy cards are not. I flashed a couple of VGA bios mods when I had an OG Titan and each time I had anxiety issues. Not fun for some.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Something that requires a BIOS flash can't be called a non-issue, that's a big issue from the customer's perspective, we can't expect customers to be able to figure out and solve this. Most customers would have to RMA these.
It's no accident that cards usually go through a round of external QA before launch, to catch such obvious problems.

I guess it's kind of fortunate that only a few hundred(?) cards have been shipped so far.

What, no one plugged the finished card into a system just to check everything is ok before shipping?

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
If this problem affects all cards shipped to date, then there is really only one thing to do; a full product recall. It will be faster and cheaper to RMA these cards than to guide each end-user through a complicated and risky procedure.

As with all such problems, it's always cheaper in terms of actual cost and PR to deal with it immediately instead of deflecting and denying. Dealing with it properly builds customer confidence, but it's when companies fails to do so they are risking lawsuits.

Something that requires a BIOS flash can't be called a non-issue, that's a big issue from the customer's perspective, we can't expect customers to be able to figure out and solve this. Most customers would have to RMA these.
It's a non-issue as far as the functionality of the card. All you would need to do is disable secure boot for the card to work perfectly fine in any system. Secure boot is a motherboard thing. NOT a Windows 10/OS requirement. You can run W10(or any OS since Windows 8 for that matter) with, or without, secure boot enabled in the motherboard's UEFI/BIOS(still running Windows 7 or earlier? VBIOS UEFI support is meaningless/makes no difference whatsoever). NON-ISSUE! RMA is not necessarily going to fix it either. It could, if they decided to flash a BIOS with UEFI support on it and ship it back to you. If not, you'll be getting a card back that is the same as the return.

Full product recall? JFC! You can't be serious. This is solvable by a BIOS update for Christ's sake. And the card will still work fine in the mean time without it. You're blowing this WAY out of proportion.

Last edited:
Well, in fairness, as issues go it's not as bad as the RX400 and RX500 ONLY having UEFI support (at a time when many boards still didn't) xD

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Prolly only the 1st batch has this issue, some will flash bios some will rma card and get same card with updated bios etc etc.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i flashed another bios on my palit 2080ti card.. it came as a downloadable exe file.. no messing just a double click and its done.. amd need to come up with something similar..

trog

i flashed another bios on my palit 2080ti card.. it came as a downloadable exe file.. no messing just a double click and its done.. amd need to come up with something similar..

trog
ASRock already did that. You just can't use the .exe on other branded cards. I'm fairly certain within the next 24 hours or so every other manufacturer will follow suit.

Chill out people. This is not a catastrophe!

It's a non-issue as far as the functionality of the card. All you would need to do is disable secure boot for the card to work perfectly fine in any system. RMA is not necessarily going to fix it either. It could, if they decided to flash a BIOS with UEFI support on it and ship it back to you. If not, you'll be getting a card back that is the same as the return.

Full product recall? JFC! You can't be serious. This is solvable by a BIOS update for Christ's sake. And the card will still work fine in the mean time without it. You're blowing this WAY out of proportion.

Well sort of, having to disable secure boot is not a small issue. Not everyone uses it, and definitely most home users don't. But some do. Either way having no UEFI support and having to disable a security feature in the bios to make a new and expensive card work is a jaw dropping oversight.

I will give AMD the benefit of the doubt and assume this was simply due to it being so early on the first wave of cards and it will be addressed very shortly. But it's amazing that the card would get this far with that significant of an issue in place, and it raises questions to me about the VII being rushed and what other issues we'll come across. So if I were in the market for one I think I'd have to lean towards skipping the launch day cards. That's a lesson I'd say applies to both AMD and NVidia. EVGA had VRAM overheating issues with their launch NV 1080ti's. It's kind of the same reason they say to not buy the first year of a new car model, since it always takes them about a year to work the issues out.

So.. without the UEFI Support, its possible to mod the bios freely? Cause the Vegas didnt allow bios mod because of some ms requirement check in bios.. they said something like that

Nkd

But it is an issue. Some people are not willing to do such software modding. It's okay for those, like yourself, who are competent but many folks that buy cards are not. I flashed a couple of VGA bios mods when I had an OG Titan and each time I had anxiety issues. Not fun for some.

Not sure about that. if you are competent enough to install a gpu you can follow instructions to manage a few clicks and update the bios. Not that complicated. I doubt many gamers are noobs like that purchasing a $700 Graphics card.

System Name Strix-13700K
Processor Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard Asus Strix-A D4
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD
Memory Thermaltake ToughRam 4 x 8GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Western digital Black SN850 1TB - PCIe Gen 4 M.2-2 and Western Digital Blue 1TB SN750 PCIe Gen 3
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG341CQR Ulta-wide 3440x1440p 144Hz and a Samsung 50 inch TV 4K TV
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G5 1000w Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro Mouse
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE MK2 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 = 31270 Multicore test
I am one of those who absolutly does not like updating a GPU BIOS, CPU yes no problems but GPU just worries me that I might end up with an expensive brick....and if I make a mistake at the worst I would be without my GPU for some time be it days or more for a replacement via warranty...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Lawsuits in 3..2..1..BAM :eek:

Not that big of an Issue.

PowerColor and I believe Sapphire are pretty good about updates as long as you are totally honest and give all info from the card that is requested.

Well sort of, having to disable secure boot is not a small issue. Not everyone uses it, and definitely most home users don't. But some do. Either way having no UEFI support and having to disable a security feature in the bios to make a new and expensive card work is a jaw dropping oversight.

I will give AMD the benefit of the doubt and assume this was simply due to it being so early on the first wave of cards and it will be addressed very shortly. But it's amazing that the card would get this far with that significant of an issue in place, and it raises questions to me about the VII being rushed and what other issues we'll come across. So if I were in the market for one I think I'd have to lean towards skipping the launch day cards. That's a lesson I'd say applies to both AMD and NVidia. EVGA had VRAM overheating issues with their launch NV 1080ti's. It's kind of the same reason they say to not buy the first year of a new car model, since it always takes them about a year to work the issues out.

There have been times MS has asked people to disable that function due to OS problems...

Last edited:
This is why when AMD on reddit ask users what features their like to see in Radeon software, I was the only one to post in that thread can we have BIOS update built-in into Radeon Software.

You do understand that AMD can only provide BIOS update for their reference cards, not for boardpartners cards.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
You do understand that AMD can only provide BIOS update for their reference cards, not for boardpartners cards.

yep considering a AIB bios are different than reference.

Talk about card bricking

That sounds pretty ignorant...

Non Issue.
Sure it could be an issue and far from ignorant. People have sued for lesser things. Never said it sounded right, just being realistic as an American in this sue happy universe.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Sure it could be an issue and far from ignorant. People have sued for lesser things. Never said it sounded right, just being realistic as an American in this sue happy universe.

Yeah that is true people do sue for the stupidest things