• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial NVIDIA DLSS and its Surprising Resolution Limitations

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
TechPowerUp readers today were greeted to our PC port analysis of Metro Exodus, which also contained a dedicated section on NVIDIA RTX and DLSS technologies. The former brings in real-time ray tracing support to an already graphically-intensive game, and the latter attempts to assuage the performance hit via NVIDIA's new proprietary alternative to more-traditional anti-aliasing. There was definitely a bump in performance from DLSS when enabled, however we also noted some head-scratching limitations on when and how it can even be enabled, depending on the in-game resolution and RTX GPU employed. We then set about testing DLSS on Battlefield V, which was also available from today, and it was then that we noticed a trend.

Take Metro Exodus first, with the relevant notes in the first image below. DLSS can only be turned on for a specific combination of RTX GPUs ranging from the RTX 2060 to the RTX 2080 Ti, but NVIDIA appear to be limiting users to a class-based system. Users with the RTX 2060, for example, can't even use DLSS at 4K and, more egregiously, owners of the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti can not enjoy RTX and DLSS simultaneously at the most popular in-game resolution of 1920x1080, which would be useful to reach high FPS rates on 144 Hz monitors. Battlefield V has a similar, and yet even more divided system wherein the gaming flagship RTX 2080 Ti can not be used with RTX and DLSS at even 1440p, as seen in the second image below. This brought us back to Final Fantasy XV's own DLSS implementation last year, which was all or nothing at 4K resolution only. What could have prompted NVIDIA to carry this out? We speculate further past the break.

We contacted NVIDIA about this to get word straight from the green horse's mouth, hoping to be able to provide a satisfactory answer to you. Representatives for the company told us that DLSS is most effective when the GPU is at maximum work load, such that if a GPU is not being challenged enough, DLSS is not going to be made available. Accordingly, this implementation encourages users to turn on RTX first, thus increasing the GPU load, to then enable DLSS. It would thus be fair to extrapolate why the RTX 2080 Ti does not get to enjoy DLSS at lower resolutions, where perhaps it is not being taxed as hard.

We do not buy this explanation, however. Turning off VSync alone results in uncapped frame rates, which allow for a GPU load nearing 100%. NVIDIA has been championing high refresh rate displays for years now, and our own results show that we need the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti to get close to 144 FPS at 1080p, for that sweet 120+ Hz refresh rate display action. Why not let the end user decide what takes priority here, especially if DLSS aims to improve graphical fidelity as well? It was at this point where we went back to the NVIDIA whitepaper on their Turing microarchitecture, briefly discussed here for those interested.

DLSS, as it turns out, operates on a frame-by-frame basis. A Turing microarchitecture-based GPU has shader cores for gaming, tensor cores for large-scale compute/AI load, and RT cores for real-time ray tracing. As load on the GPU is applied, relevant to DLSS, this is predominantly on the tensor cores. Effectively thus, a higher FPS in a game means a higher load on the tensor cores. The different GPUs in the NVIDIA GeForce RTX family have a different number of tensor cores, and thus limit how many frames/pixels can be processed in a unit time (say, one second). This variability in the number of tensor cores is likely the major reason for said implementation of DLSS. With their approach, it appears that NVIDIA wants to make sure that the tensor cores never become the bottleneck during gaming.

Another possible reason comes via Futuremark's 3DMark Port Royal benchmark for ray tracing. It recently added support for DLSS, and is a standard bearer to how RTX and DLSS can work in conjunction to produce excellent results. Port Royal, however, is an extremely scripted benchmark using pre-determined scenes to make good use of the machine learning capabilities integrated in DLSS. Perhaps this initial round of DLSS in games is following a similar mechanism, wherein the game engine is being trained to enable DLSS on specific scenes at specific resolutions, and not in a resolution-independent way.

Regardless of what is the underlying cause, all in-game DLSS implementations so far have come with some small print attached, that sours the ultimately-free bonus of DLSS which appears to work well - when it can- providing at least an additional dial for users to play with, to fine-tune their desired balance of visual experience to game FPS.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

npp

The different GPUs in the NVIDIA GeForce RTX family have a different number of tensor cores, and thus limit how many frames/pixels can be processed in a unit time (say, one second). This variability in the number of tensor cores is likely the major reason for said implementation of DLSS. With their approach it looks like NVIDIA wants to make sure that the tensor cores never become the bottleneck during gaming.

A lot of words to basically say: if the frame rate is too high, the tensor cores can't keep up.

This explains why high end cards can't use DLSS at lower resolutions.

Lower-end cards on the other hand have so few tensor cores, that they can't keep up with the high resolution to begin with. This doesn't explain why the 2060 can use DLSS at 4k in Battlefield, though.

In any case, RTX takes care to keep FPS down so the tensor cores can keep up.

Kind of makes sense to me. Introducing new paradigms and having all the necessary resources on-die to support them don't come in the same generation.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Ray Tracy and the Deep Learning S**t. Whoever came up with the idea, if it wasn't Jensen himself, needs to be fired. I hope people who bought the RTX cards did it because they are faster than what they had and not because of the mumbo dxrdlss jumbo. I know I did.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
So, they have a known bottleneck of tensor cores at high frame rates and the latency cannot be masked.

That was quite a load of fertilizer about needing more GPU load, more like, they need frame times to be high enough so the end users don't notice.

Lol, that sucks, I'm glad I'm not interested in DLSS anyway because of the blurriness however it's lol that Nvidia won't let RTX2080 owners use DLSS at 1080p xD

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
They also won't support FreeSync over HDMI.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
They also won't support FreeSync over HDMI.

nobody from nvidia has ever stated that check your facts

alt theory DLSS requires a certain level of training and training is resolution dependent

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Is it a TC limitation or just implementing it where it's actually needed? Will those resolutions be supported later?

How can one test that it's actually a TC limitation?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Just another demonstation of what "The way it's meant to be played"
How they say so.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Interesting theory, it would explain why the arbitrary restrictions that really don't make much sense...

It's still a developing technology, only time will tell if this is a permanent limitation or something that will be addressed in future drivers and/or patches for supporting games.

Either way, I'm very happy with the results, I'm not a competitive gamer, so I don't really care for frame rates beyond 100FPS, I'm just enjoying the fact that now I can really play BFV at 4K with everything maxed out and a smooth frame rate.

I listened to the advise of many people in the forum and now I make sure to leave my PC on from time to time so all games and drivers are up to date, so to me it was a really nice bonus to be able to enable this feature before I came to work today, the cherry on top you could say lol.

Both DLSS and RTX are still in their infancy, I have a feeling competitive players would disable either function to get the max performance out of any given game.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Is it a TC limitation or just implementing it where it's actually needed? Will those resolutions be supported later?

How can one test that it's actually a TC limitation?

Logic. Every step through a pipe is Xns, and adding more steps =more ns. Since the Tensor core logic requires primatives for both these functions and they are an outside area to the graphics pipeline they incur latency. The primative lookup for RTX probably is the basis for DLSS, since it can identify sharp (acute) angles to the player with a simple filter and sort, act on those with another algorithm to smooth, but each operation takes ns, and that increases frame times, which directly reduces FPS.

A lot of words to basically say: if the frame rate is too high, the tensor cores can't keep up.

This explains why high end cards can't use DLSS at lower resolutions.

Lower-end cards on the other hand have so few tensor cores, that they can't keep up with the high resolution to begin with. This doesn't explain why the 2060 can use DLSS at 4k in Battlefield, though.

In any case, RTX takes care to keep FPS down so the tensor cores can keep up.

Kind of makes sense to me. Introducing new paradigms and having all the necessary resources on-die to support them don't come in the same generation.

So in short, DLSS cant do 4k 120fps ? such a waste of 530 tensor cores when even having half of them as raster cores would give us so much raw performance lol.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
So in short, DLSS cant do 4k 120fps ? such a waste of 530 tensor cores when even having half of them as raster cores would give us so much raw performance lol.

No, it's 1080p that's an issue, not 4K, I don't think any card can push 120FPS at 4K and ultra settings on modern games anyway, why is that such a big issue to you? :confused:

No, it's 1080p that's an issue, not 4K, I don't think any card can push 120FPS at 4K and ultra settings on modern games anyway, why is that such a big issue to you? :confused:

I meant 4k 120fps with DLSS and RT off.
1440p with DLSS would be nice too.... so we can hit that 200fps mark

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
DLSS = Deep Learning Super Sampling. The word "deep learning" is a giveaway that this is AI-trained, of course it won't work if you don't let it "learn". Also, this is a very new tech & it takes time, not something you can use from the get go. Don't like it, keep it to yourselves. You can always opt for other solutions.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
What about other, non-standard resolutions like 2560x1600 or 1920x1200? How are these affected?

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
DLSS = Deep Learning Super Sampling. The word "deep learning" is a giveaway that this is AI-trained, of course it won't work if you don't let it "learn". Also, this is a very new tech & it takes time, not something you can use from the get go. Don't like it, keep it to yourselves. You can always opt for other solutions.
Exactly, nvidia is pushing tech further, they can do this now simce AMD is 2 years behind and only 30% market share. Next gen of geforces on 7nm will bring perf we desire and tech will advance even further so we will again desire for more. AMD and their consoles are stagnant.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I wonder why the restriction for 2060 at 4k? DLSS is just what could push some titles into playable territory at that resolution.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

Dexiefy

Wow... Did not care one bit for RTX. It will be cool once mainstream card will be able to provide 60 fps with RTX on at 1080p/1440p, but before that its a gimmick. DLSS however had my attention up until this point.
Thought at least one of ngreedia new techs are worthwhile, seems i was wrong.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
Wow, talk about a marketing sham. If I had bought an RTX card based on Nvidia's proposition that DLSS would give me more frames I would be pretty pissed right now. "It'll give you more frames.. sorta, maybe." Jeez.

System Name Blackbird
Processor AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
Cooling Full custom-loop water cooling, mostly Aqua Computer and EKWB stuff!
Memory 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB @3733-CL14
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung 950PRO 512GB, Crusial P5 2TB, Samsung 850PRO 1TB
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B 38" IPS TFT, Dell U3011 30" IPS TFT
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Audio Device(s) Edifier S1000DB
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor 1200W (SeaSonic)
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800
Software MS Windows 10 Pro for Workstation
Benchmark Scores A lot.
What about other, non-standard resolutions like 2560x1600 or 1920x1200? How are these affected?
I'd bet these won't work at all, because these are resolutions mainly used for professional displays rather than gaming displays and Nvidia doesn't care anyways.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
1080p/1440p with RTX is already possible to yield 60fps or higher with optimizations & patches. What more do you people want? Can't we just enjoy what we have & leave DLSS alone until it too has optimizations being added?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
1080p/1440p with RTX is already possible to yield 60fps or higher with optimizations & patches. What more do you people want? Can't we just enjoy what we have & leave DLSS alone until it too has optimizations being added?

That would mean admitting Nvidia has yet another working feature that AMD is currently missing. So no.
Is it perfect? Is it what we'll be using in 5 years? Hell no. It's just a first iteration of a new tech. Support it if you want, ignore it if you think it's too expensive. Whining about it and reapeatedly pointing out flaws is childish though.