• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Metro Exodus Developer Discusses Boycott of the PC Platform for Sequels over Steam Review Bombing

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
We had Gamespy for that and most games had LAN and direct IP/self-hosting options.
That's not quite what I mean. Sure, Gamespy would help you keep track of servers, but I specifically remember having to create and sign into accounts for Battlefield 2 and 2142... or maybe it was the same account across both games via an EA account or something.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
that was early drm attempts,

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
No piracy Discussion :roll:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
that was early drm attempts,
You already had DRM in the form of CD keys and requiring the physical disc in the drive to play (unless you did like I did and made an image of the disc and mount in a virtual drive). I figured the Battlefield accounts were necessary to keep track of each player's stats, now that points, ranks, medals, unlockable weapons etc were part of the game. Of course, they probably could have just as well tied such info to the CD key instead... :ohwell:

System Name Sham Pc
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
was always online drm.. cd keys were useless for any non multiplayer game.

did a quick google, this probably covers it.. may not i guess but probably will

System Name Dell Dimension P120
Processor Intel Pentium 120 MHz 60Mhz FSB
Motherboard Dell Pentium
Memory 24 MB EDO
Video Card(s) Matrox Millennium 2MB
Storage 1 GB EIDE HDD
Display(s) Dell 15 inch crt
Case Dell Dimension
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Mouse Microsoft mouse, no scroll wheel
Keyboard Dell 1995
Software Windows 95 + Office 95
System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Dude - you can have all the launchers you want. Just don't force people into it. Sell on the epic store for $40, and sell on steam for $60 because they're shites who take 30% -- simple as that.

Yeah but you guys didn't get it, again, or well I wasn't explaining it good enough. I was making a comparison and a viewpoint, I am obviously agreeing with you, but from their point of view they don't have to give a rats butt, because no contract has been made with you

Is it rude, is it inappropriate, is it bad idea, is it, that's all true, but they operate like a military and if it's not in contract they don't give a cow. All the PR and all the fluff is all military-grade psychological manipulation and deception, gaming companies hire the same kind of PR experts as any other company does, they read/learn the same books that were written from the +1940 US Military experiments where they had monkies strapped to TVs, among other things.

All the words may be sincere from the devs, cool, the catch is, it's never their decision on anything, all that is as good as dirt, no obligation, you are a phatom, as no contract was made between you or them, they announce it to the void, your response and recognition of their PR is only a coincidence, you make the contract when you buy the game, but before you get delivery(installation), which means you make the contract before you even see the full contents, everything is scientifically calculated against you, they can make arbitrary decision at any time.

No video game contract has much if any clauses on the quality of the game, technicalities like FPS, stability, compatability, there's no guarantee on anything, whether or not the experience will be enjoyable. It's not a product you commissioned, it's a fishing game, they use a fishing hook with bait, and hope enough fishes will bite, you only get the taste after you bitten, but you're also caught at the same time, it is a fundamentally disrespectful , but the corporate idea uses the friendly word "commercial", it's military-style mindset, this is not a natural economy between people's, why would people of same country use military tactics against each other.

In KochMedia/DeepSilver mind, when they weighted this decision, they decided the financial gains (short or longterm or both) and or obligations outweight the expected community backlash, simple as that. The industry knows that most people cry out and then just move on after a week or two, they know the demography of children to young adults who eat poisonous sugary snacks, drinks and fast food has a very short attention span and given enough burgers and doritos they will gobble anything in due time.

All they have to do is to bombard some more PR so that the old story gets burried quick like a new trailer that was just released.

The lone developer was absolutely right about how review bombing may even lead , even tho it seems so out of possiblity,

About 2 years before id Software started breaking up they all said "oh we're here for the PC were not going anywhere". (because of Carmacks and Zenimax disagreements on VR, and Rage no-boss-at-end and wrong-driver-from-AMD debacle)

Gamers sometimes think that companies are their employees. There is no contract between you and them. Outside of the game. And also, in the contract for the game there's no guarantee of any patching and fixing either, it's a TOTAL joke, just like most consumer products.

You are all pissed, but I'm not, not because I don't think it's bad, because I'm not going to be their victim, this kind of stuff happens over and over again and it's part of the terrible business model on this planet, it's not about that you have to deal with it, it's about that you have to transcend it, it's a battlefield, you need to find the way to navigate the fairest way, because many people when they see an unfair world they think it's nothing they can do so they just join with the unfairness, no, you strive and try to prove it can be done fairly despite the odds, only that's how it may someday turn the tide around.

It's childishness upon childishness, remember Crtyek, the idiot owners blew one of my fav PC games with their stupid attitude, no wonder everyone left, cause they're childish, most senior management is a lot more decadent than you think, it's all a big joke, being fascinated by some fast luxurious cars, those are toys for the stupid rich, same kind of thing going there, the more bling it has the more supposable worth it has, which is a lie, most of the premium on richy rich stuff is all estehtics, zero technical/practical value/capability, of zero strategic military importance.

The only way to make it better as other's also mentioned is to BOTHER THE CRAP out of Epic Games to get their Launcher up to par and features, it is not going to help to boycott the developer or anything with the game as you will only be hurting the raw developers.

Say it to Apple

Sure it applies to many.

Bombarding negative reviews on a older Metro games just because the new game will be released on a other platform is just stupid and childish.

Exactly. Need to remain fair, fair to the old game which has nothing to do with this.

a not good buisiness plan is to announcce a game will be on 1 platfrom allow people to preorder the game, and then tell those same people that it wont be on the platform they used to pre-order the game.

That's the core of the emotional issue here, and it's an emotional issue (rude) as it is still legally/technically not violating any contract, but most living beings would recognise it as a bandit-type thing to do.

Last edited:

Timotee

Just dropping in because I saw this thread on google when searching a glitch problem. How hard is it to download a game? Who cares which launcher? It's a single player game. Loving this game with or without steam. Damn sorry generation of I want it and I want it now, lol. Stop crying and enjoy the game for what it is and move on.

Normally I would say "Welcome to the forums", yet in this case you came in being a jerk. Seriously with that?

Who cares which launcher?
Clearly, you don't get why it matters.
Damn sorry generation of I want it and I want it now, lol.
I'm middle aged and have been gaming very likely longer than you've been alive. The situation is that we want to actually own our games when we pay for them, not rent them on the whims of a company that might shut down a few years down the road, rendering the game we paid for unplayable. If you're going to jump into a conversation and offer input and chiding remarks, make sure you understand the context of the conversation first.
Stop crying and enjoy the game for what it is and move on.
Stop embarrassing yourself.

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Just dropping in because I saw this thread on google when searching a glitch problem. How hard is it to download a game? Who cares which launcher? It's a single player game. Loving this game with or without steam. Damn sorry generation of I want it and I want it now, lol. Stop crying and enjoy the game for what it is and move on.

This is how the terrorists win.

This is how the terrorists win.
Terrorists won already for quite a while and they lead everyone now, but people did not realize it yet.

Getting back to the topic, I find the game good overall, although it's train-based not metro-based (nV wanted to show off with some landscapes). Personally, I prefer a game installed from disk the classic way.
If I'm to install all clients from every game company that I want to play a game from, I'd end up with quite a big mess in my PC. So I'll just use steam if really needed instead and I'll uninstall the specific clients like EA's or any other after completing a game in favor of a cleaner system.

System Name Sham Pc
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board