• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CORSAIR Hydro X Custom Watercooling Parts Up at Swiss Retailer + Visual Impressions

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
When we first had a glance of the CORSAIR Hydro X custom watercooling loop parts in action, we suspected they might have a CES debut. CES has come and gone since, with no word of the company's entry into this field. Their direct competitors, including Phanteks and Thermaltake, have since added to their respective product portfolios comprising fans, water blocks, coolants and radiators. Perhaps CORSAIR wanted the launch to not be overshadowed by the other product launches at the recent trade show, and perhaps the listings of the Hydro X products on Digitech.ch is a sign of things to come sooner than later. Read past the break for a more in-depth discussion on the various parts listed, based on our experience with this industry as a whole.

CPU water blocks appear to be available in two designs, one with a polished acrylic top (XC7) and another with a sandblasted aluminium trim in addition (XC9). These seem to be designed in a similar manner to their new Hydro Platinum series of closed loop liquid coolers, to allow for a unifying look across their cooling ecosystem. The XC9 product page mentions the use of 70 microfins on the cooling engine, which is on par with most flagship blocks today, but has no mention of the fin height or thickness, which also contributes to the cooling efficiency of the water block. The cold plate is made of nickel-plated copper, as expected, and the flow chamber made of acrylic allows a visual look at the coolant passing through for both aesthetics and functionality (to notice any trapped air bubbles, and to confirm coolant flow as well). There are 16 addressable RGB LEDs, which will be controllable via iCUE, and the design allows for the lighting to be transmitted in a circle around the cooling engine itself. Presumably these LEDs will be powered and controlled via a header that connects to a CORSAIR Commander PRO or Lightning Node PRO, which would likely be optional accessories. There are two G1/4" threaded ports on top, and CPU socket compatibility appears to be LGA 1156 and AM4 for the XC7, and LGA 2011, LGA 2066, AMD sTR4 for the XC9.

At first glance, the two GPU water blocks seen above might appear identical. Both use an aluminium casing (no contact with coolant), an acrylic top, a CNC-milled nickel-plated copper cold plate, and two G1/4" threaded ports on an I/O terminal which looks very similar to the older CORSAIR Dominator Platinum memory sticks. A closer look reveals a different cooling engine and coolant flow path (linear, as opposed to split central-inlet flow), and this is how we know the first block is for a smaller PCB. Indeed, on the left is the Hydro X Series XG7 block for the NVIDIA RTX 2080 reference PCB (Founders Edition and other compatible aftermarket cards), and the one on the right is for the equivalent NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti. The product page for the RTX 2080 Ti Fe block says, and these details are otherwise identical for both, the cold plate uses more than 50 microfins and has integrated RGB lighting similar to the CPU blocks above. The block is full length and full cover, adopting a shroud + transparent center design that has gained popularity recently. Interestingly, both blocks seemingly come with pre-applied thermal paste, which I think is going to be a polarizing move among the end users.

There appears to be only one reservoir and pump option at this time, both appearing together as a combo unit. This is similar to what was used in the demo system late last year, and perhaps CORSAIR might offer more options later down the line. As it stands, the XD5 RGB pump/reservoir combo uses a Xylem D5 PWM pump, although we do not yet know whether this is one of the newer designs that is more in line with Intel PWM spec 1.3 for better PWM control over the pump speed. The reservoir uses a rectangular cuboid shape, and appears to be made of acrylic with acetal end caps and pump body. The end cap is designed similar to the CPU block, and has two G1/4" threaded ports, with two more ports at the bottom. There is return line adapter allowing coolant from the top to enter past the coolant level in the reservoir to minimize turbulence, and the port configuration allows for a fill port + in/out ports as usual. Judging by the image, the reservoir appears to be about 100 mm in height on top of the pump itself. The product page mentions ten integrated RGB LEDs, and the inclusion of 120 and 140 mm fan mounting brackets for easy installation in cases or on radiators.

The radiator lineup appears to be fairly extensive, with both 120 mm and 140 mm size offerings ranging from single to quad (at least for the 120 mm size). In addition, the 120 mm sizes also get two variations- the XR5 at 30 mm thick and the XR7 at 54 mm thick- compared to the 140 mm radiators with only the XR5 version. The radiators look eerily similar to Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS and GTX respectively for the two thickness values, given they also match up well. Perhaps these are OEM versions (Nemesis LS and LX) customized to CORSAIR specifications. Adding fuel to this fire is the 25 µm fin thickness, another Hardware Labs technology used in their current product lineup. If true, this is fantastic news as these radiators are excellent at heat dissipation while being optimized for low fan speed and noise. The product pages, and there are way too many to list, also mention the use of screw guides and shields to aid in installation, and the radiators have a matte black finish to go well with just about any color scheme you might have. Two G1/4" ports are seen here, and thus there are no dedicated drain or fill ports here- another aspect of the Black Ice Nemesis radiator lineup, and now I am >95% certain of it too.

There are no images available for the listed tubing and special tubing connectors, and only one for the coolant, but they all have their own product pages with more information. CORSAIR seems to have hardline tubing (plexiglass, PMMA) in 1 meter lengths and two size options (10/14 mm or 10/12 mm), as well as soft tubing (PVC) in 3 meter lengths and one size option (10/13 mm). Three different tube sizes and two different tube types means a lot of fittings to stock as well, and we will get to that below. The XL5 Performance Coolant appears to be only available in a 1000 mL pre-mix format, with clear, pink, red, blue, and green colors to choose from. These are translucent coolants, not UV active, and include anti-corrosion and anti-bacterial inhibitors. The tubing connectors, called XT Hardline Multicard Kit, are used to help connect GPU water blocks in a multi-GPU configuration without worrying about cutting tubing to length. Indeed, the kit (coming in 12 mm OD only as per the website listing) contains two each tube sections long enough to fit one, two or three slot graphics card spacing.

Last, and certainly not the least, comes the XF lineup of fittings. These include compression fittings for all three tube options (hardline and soft tubing alike) in four color options- gold, glossy white, chrome, black- and in packs for some additional savings. These colors are reflected also in angled adapters and angled compression fittings, and there are also some more specialized fittings including a fill port and shut-off ball valve which come in chrome and black colors only. This is a good collection of fittings to begin with, but time will tell if all retailers choose to stock every single tubing and fitting option available.

There is really no point in discussing pricing at this stage, so we will get to that when the products are actually announced. This is, for all intents and purposes, an inadvertent leak by the retailer. All products list a 24-month warranty period, which may also be region-specific. Feel free to discuss more about these products, which no doubt are close to release, in the comments section below.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

The age of affordable custom loops (for almost anyone) is upon us.
Once Corsair gets seriously into this, everyone and their dog will want to make their own CL parts.

I remember when first AIOs appeared, they were SO expensive compared to the best air towers. But now... they are found in any PC at any price point.

Once Corsair gets seriously into this, everyone and their dog will want to make their own CL parts.

I remember when first AIOs appeared, they were SO expensive compared to the best air towers. But now... they are found in any PC at any price point.
Im still super anxious/scared to do my own water loop. It is literally the final frontier of PC building for me. :x

System Name Liquid 2022
Processor Intel i7-12700k
Motherboard Asus Strix Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Cooling Custom loop with 9x120mm radiator area
Memory Team 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4@4133 C18-18-18
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2080ti on nickel Heatkiller IV block with Aluminum backplate
Storage 10TB SSD: Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (OS), Samsung 980 PRO 2TB, ADATA SX8200 PRO 2TB/500GB, 4TB/1TB MX500
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 1440p G-SYNC, Samsung Odyssey
Case Phanteks ENTHOO 719 (grey)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5, Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Cooler Master V1200, custom sleeved white cables
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (maybe 11 soon?)
The pricing on those fittings are shameful! Do yourself a favor and investigate Barrow. If you order from FormulaMod you can get the same fittings for 20% of the cost.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

the problem is temps - my nocuta NH-D14 with 3x 140mm fans in push pull on it with a strong fan curve still comes within 4 celsius of the best Corsair AIO 360mm model. on a oc'd cpu in prime95.

I mean why risk a leak if I don't have to? now if this custom loop adds even 3 celsius to that 4... so 7 celsius difference, THEN i might consider going water if its affordable, last i checked though a custom loop would cost me close to 300-400, plus the annoying part of cleaning it every couple years. where it only takes 5 mins to clean my noctua fans

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
Cold additives have added anti-corrosion and anti-bacterial inhibitors in addition to color and a real and very good addition is a super-fluxing additive !!!!! that has appeared in some Zalman products mainly due to narrow tubes. Here is an area where there are no products available, for motor oils this add-on is obtained and there is a real market niche! Super-streaming additives would improve the preforms of all liquid-cooled systems, but these types of accessories do not appear to be sucripted to all providers, except in some rare cases. If you are selling these add-ons of color-cheeky jewelry, then you should add the latest good technologies to them! I'm a little surprised at the choice because I was expecting EK products but the added offer is moustly good except the CPU element, I would say it was more for the decoration. Good luck and I hope that this comment will be read by the right people and will be offered in the future super-fluxing additive in the mix .:D:p

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
The pricing on those fittings are shameful! Do yourself a favor and investigate Barrow. If you order from FormulaMod you can get the same fittings for 20% of the cost.

If I'm correct in saying, they are Bitspower fittings without the logo... That's all the difference is and I use them myself :)

System Name Madness
Processor 6700k delidded 5.0ghz from silicone lottery
Motherboard Msi z270 m5
Cooling xspc cpu block , ek pump/res , alphacool 360 rad , ek fc x2 , monsoon fittings
Memory corsair dominator platinum16gb with light bar kit
Video Card(s) Msi 1070 seahawk x2
Storage adata sp550 256gb , seagate 1tb
Display(s) hp 24' monitors x3
Case Phanteks enthoo evolve tempered glass
Audio Device(s) Samsung 5.1 surround system
Power Supply xfx 1250w pro series , custom cables
Mouse Logitech g403
Keyboard Logitech g11 ,painted white and black
well damnit , I knew these were on the way for a while...but i already have all the parts for my loop.would have been a nice compliment to my 1070 seahawks (that are corsair branded) , and dominator platinum

side note , why are there no colors that match the silver/grey you see on other corsair branded products ?

Are they using Barrow as the OEM? Those fittings looks suspiciously like some Barrow parts I have here... :D

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Im still super anxious/scared to do my own water loop. It is literally the final frontier of PC building for me. :x
Final frontier? Ha. Once you do full water, what's stopping you from using a TEC plate instead of a waterblock? Or, worse yet, phase change? This is cold shit, as cold as it gets without literally using liquid nitrogen... and it's a permanent solution, not temporary super cooling for suicide runs at 8GHz.

Realistically, though, the best reasonable solution is to use full water with a water chiller... @Knoxx29

Final frontier? Ha. Once you do full water, what's stopping you from using a TEC plate instead of a waterblock? Or, worse yet, phase change? This is cold shit, as cold as it gets without literally using liquid nitrogen... and it's a permanent solution, not temporary super cooling for suicide runs at 8GHz.

Realistically, though, the best reasonable solution is to use full water with a water chiller... @Knoxx29
Okay on shopping list for next year:
  • 3990WX
  • Waterchiller
48 core 5 Ghz 24/7???

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
Hrm... that thing is already a 250w chip (probably more with full speed turbo active at full load). Once you start overclocking... if it can even hit 5GHz (regardless of cooling), your power consumption is going straight to the moon. That's a LOT of heat to dissipate. It's also not very efficient.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
the problem is temps - my nocuta NH-D14 with 3x 140mm fans in push pull on it with a strong fan curve still comes within 4 celsius of the best Corsair AIO 360mm model. on a oc'd cpu in prime95.

I mean why risk a leak if I don't have to? now if this custom loop adds even 3 celsius to that 4... so 7 celsius difference, THEN i might consider going water if its affordable, last i checked though a custom loop would cost me close to 300-400, plus the annoying part of cleaning it every couple years. where it only takes 5 mins to clean my noctua fans

The primary reason for using water cooling, be it AIO or custom loop, is not for performance. It's for accessibility, weight distribution and aesthetics.

I used to be a fan of tower air coolers (pun absolutely intended), but they are a PITA to work around when installed, especially the largest (and most efficient) ones that overhang memory slots and almost always interfere with the 8-pin EPS connector and any nearby fan connectors. There is also the concern around weight, again more prominent with the larger designs - I have never felt comfortable hanging a huge chunk of metal, off a plastic motherboard, at right angles. Water cooling has none of these issues, although it definitely does have its own (especially around cleaning a custom loop, which is why I prefer AIO solutions).

As for aesthetics: AIO coolers just make a system look cleaner, IMO. With tower coolers, anyone looking at your rig has their attention immediately drawn to the big hunk of metal sitting on the CPU, whereas AIOs "blend in" and allow focus to be drawn by other components. Custom loops, OTOH, are generally designed entirely to draw attention to the loop, which is then used to draw attention to the other components by following the path of the loop.

System Name Main Machine
Processor Intel i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Memory G.SKILL 32GB DDR5-7200, 7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Aqua
Storage 2x WD_BLACK SN850X 1TB und 2TB, 2x8TB Seagate Ironwolf
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ 27inch 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 1600W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 11
I have been using customs loops for almost 7 years now.
It is not only about cooling the CPU. I usually have both CPU and GPU in the loop.
GPU like Vega 64 benifts a lot with water cooling. You can get a nice extra performace with undervolting and bumping frequency while still keeping the beast around 42°C.

I had until now never had any spill issues. With proper fitting it is not a problem.
Beside good coolants nowdays are non-conductive.
For cleaning so far was also not an issue for me.
I replace coolant once in a year and never experinced any kind of problems where I would need to take waterblock appart to clean them from inside.

System Name Lovely Milky Milky
Processor 7800X at 4GHz
Motherboard EVGA X299 FTW K
Cooling Custom milky loop
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz quad channel
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1080Ti SeaHawk EK X
Storage A-DATA 512GB M.2, 750GB Samsung SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate Pipeline HDD's
Display(s) AOC CQ32G1 32" Curved 144Hz 1440p
Case Aerocool Quartz Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seagate Snow Silent 750W
Mouse Fnatic Flick 2
Keyboard Drevo Blademaster TE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Watercooling is a fun adventure, and it looks awesome, I must admit for something I would move around I like to stick to air cooling.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
AHAH! Digitec.ch my "default go to" tech retailer :laugh:

nonetheless "shit prices" ... well it's Swiss side ... what to expect ... don't worry for you who are outside here, it probably will be quite less :rolleyes:
compared to EKWB, Alphacool or Phobya it's still too much.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
The primary reason for using water cooling, be it AIO or custom loop, is not for performance. It's for accessibility, weight distribution and aesthetics.

I used to be a fan of tower air coolers (pun absolutely intended), but they are a PITA to work around when installed, especially the largest (and most efficient) ones that overhang memory slots and almost always interfere with the 8-pin EPS connector and any nearby fan connectors. There is also the concern around weight, again more prominent with the larger designs - I have never felt comfortable hanging a huge chunk of metal, off a plastic motherboard, at right angles. Water cooling has none of these issues, although it definitely does have its own (especially around cleaning a custom loop, which is why I prefer AIO solutions).

As for aesthetics: AIO coolers just make a system look cleaner, IMO. With tower coolers, anyone looking at your rig has their attention immediately drawn to the big hunk of metal sitting on the CPU, whereas AIOs "blend in" and allow focus to be drawn by other components. Custom loops, OTOH, are generally designed entirely to draw attention to the loop, which is then used to draw attention to the other components by following the path of the loop.

While you make a few good points... I think it's silly to say the primary reason is not for performance. It would certainly be one of my top concerns...

System Name Dark Sith Lord / Fat Boy
Processor AMD Ryzen7 2700X / AMD FX 8350
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming / Gigabyte 990XA UD3 R5
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Turbo LED (2x120mm in push-pull) / Coolermaster HyperX (2x120mm in push-pull)
Memory 2x8gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200MHz / 4x4gb Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6gb / Gainward GTX 950 2gb
Storage Crucial P1 NVMe 1tb, 2x Barracuda 2TB, 1x IronWolf NAS 2TB / Samsung 840 Evo 500gb + Samsung F1 1tb
Display(s) BenQ GL2450 24'' / Samsung Syncmaster 20'' 2043nw
Case CM HAF 932 (CM 200mm [Red Led] front & side intake, Shark Evil Black 140mm exhaust) / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 on Creative Inspire S2 2.1 / Realtek 889 on Creative SBS Vivid 60 2.0
Power Supply EVGA Supernova B2 750w / Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 110 / Sharkoon Light² 100
Keyboard Bloody B975 (LK brown optical switches) / Philips SPK84 (blue switches) with silicone o'rings mod
Software Win10 Pro x64 / Win7 Ultimate x64
I feel you bro.
But with these major players offering standardized components that you KNOW FOR SURE that they fit properly and work, the risk is minimal.

One failed o-ring that passed QC by mistake and can cause havoc inside the pc, is enough to make this argument not so valid.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA

First time i built a Water loop ( many years ago) i felt like i had done it before i wasn't scared or anxious i just went for it and after i saw the results i said/promised to myself that i would be building Water loops till i retire, of course that there is the leak or pump failure risk but if it happens to me i could live with it, one thing that almost everyone does after they build a Water loop is the leak test and if i have to be honest i have never done it:D

last i checked though a custom loop would cost me close to 300-400, plus the annoying part of cleaning it every couple years.

That's really cheap considering that my actual Watercooling/Waterchiller setup price should be around 1000€+, the part of cleaning it i do it every 2 years and it's just fun.

I think it's silly to say the primary reason is not for performance.

Indeed.

But better not to touch this argument because as your know while some people will agree some others wont.;)

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
Indeed.

But better not to touch this argument because as your know while some people will agree some others wont.;)

Naturally... but that's just my opinion. Sure, there are other benefits besides performance... benefits that may be more important to someone else than that performance. And I see them as benefits as well, but performance is a huge part of it for me. But that's just my opinion and we're all welcome to our own... :toast:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
well I am not risking a leak on my expensive build when noctua cools it within 5 celsius of same temps with strong fan curve /shrug

Performance is undoubtedly a factor... a well executed custom loop is always going to outperform air, but the cost must be taken into consideration. What WILL be significantly improved however is noise levels under load, particularly when it comes to the GPU. Quite honestly, a CPU under water vs a top end air cooler, while you are going to see a difference in terms of both temps and noise, it will only be in single figure percentages. With a GPU though, the difference is FAR greater. Crank up a GPU to 70-80 fan speed and have a listen... you won't get anywhere near that kind of noise on a custom loop (done right) and the temps could be near halved.

A full CPU+GPU loop is really the way to go... custom looping only a CPU is largely a waste of time (and money).

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
well I am not risking a leak on my expensive build

Your actual Build?

Sure, there are other benefits besides performance... benefits that may be more important to someone else than that performance. And I see them as benefits as well, but performance is a huge part of it for me

I totally agree with you.

Reactions: hat

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Your actual Build?

I totally agree with you.

I have a NH-D14, case, psu, fans, etc. just waiting for 3700x... currently using little intel hd graphics laptop. once 3700x comes out, that will be my cpu and nh-d14 with 3 fans push pull on the NH-D14 and a strong fan curve... and prob a rtx 2060 and 144hz 1080p IPS or VA screen.