• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CORSAIR Hydro X Custom Watercooling Parts Up at Swiss Retailer + Visual Impressions

Processor 5800x
Motherboard b550-e
Cooling full - custom liquid loop
Memory cl16 - 32gb
Video Card(s) 6800xt
Storage nvme 1TB + ssd 750gb
Display(s) xg32vc
Case hyte y60
Power Supply 1000W - gold
Software 10
Yeah price tag for this fittings are joke..

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Final frontier? Ha. Once you do full water, what's stopping you from using a TEC plate instead of a waterblock? Or, worse yet, phase change? This is cold shit, as cold as it gets without literally using liquid nitrogen... and it's a permanent solution, not temporary super cooling for suicide runs at 8GHz.

Realistically, though, the best reasonable solution is to use full water with a water chiller... @Knoxx29

I guess you'd mean something like I did here right? :D

DSCF4002.JPG

Watercooling isn't anything to be afraid of.
It's like anything else, there's a certain amount of risk with it but the payoff once it's done is worth the trouble. Although I've chosen to go with air with my latest DD builds I still have watercooling setup at my benching area and it works fine.
The area where my DD is isn't suitable for a watercooled setup anyway like I'd build it so I'm just sticking with air to simplify things. I've been doing my own custom water setups for over a decade now and it's simple once you get the basics down.

You could find and start off with an older setup that if something happens you won't be out of much if anything just to learn the basics of it all.

Only way you'll ever know is to "Just do it" and you only live once you know.
Go for it I say.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
i am so disappointed corsair didn't RGB the rads. :slap:

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
The age of affordable custom loops (for almost anyone) is upon us.
Once Corsair gets seriously into this, everyone and their dog will want to make their own CL parts.

I remember when first AIOs appeared, they were SO expensive compared to the best air towers. But now... they are found in any PC at any price point.

It was been for some time. But still ... the 'affordable ones' (< 3 x an air cooler) are always making unacceptable tradeoffs. And yes, there are CLCs at every price point but, as yet no comparable performance / noise pricing alternatives. When the best air cooler is $45, and CLCs with comparable performance are both noisier and 2 -3 times more expensive, I really don't see their raison d'être. A Delta T of 10C design is going to be hard to describe as affordable,

The age of affordable custom loops (for almost anyone) is upon us.
Once Corsair gets seriously into this, everyone and their dog will want to make their own CL parts.

I remember when first AIOs appeared, they were SO expensive compared to the best air towers. But now... they are found in any PC at any price point.

It was been for some time. But still ... the 'affordable ones' (< 3 x an air cooler) are always making unacceptable tradeoffs. And yes, there are CLCs at every price point but, as yet no comparable performance / noise pricing alternatives. When the best air cooler is $45, and CLCs with comparable performance are both noisier and 2 -3 times more expensive, I really don't see their raison d'être. A Delta T of 10C design is going to be hard to describe as affordable,

Im still super anxious/scared to do my own water loop. It is literally the final frontier of PC building for me. :x

You might start with a Open Loop (expandable AIO) from Swiftech or EK and Maybe a Seahawk EK GFX card ... all thats left to do is add two fittings and a tube. Tho personally, I'd be inclined to use compression fittings if the model uses barbed. My son did that and regretted it tho ... it was so easy, he wished he'd overcome his fears and went custom.

the problem is temps - my nocuta NH-D14 with 3x 140mm fans in push pull on it with a strong fan curve still comes within 4 celsius of the best Corsair AIO 360mm model. on a oc'd cpu in prime95.

I mean why risk a leak if I don't have to? now if this custom loop adds even 3 celsius to that 4... so 7 celsius difference, THEN i might consider going water if its affordable, last i checked though a custom loop would cost me close to 300-400, plus the annoying part of cleaning it every couple years. where it only takes 5 mins to clean my noctua fans

1. You are severely limiting your OC by using P95 as a measuring stick. That's kinda like seeing if the nail in your wall is capable of hanging your daughter's gradutaion picture by hanging a 400 pound weight on it. RoG Real Bench will put a much higher load on your CPU than it will ever see IRL and will drop temps by 8 to 10C ... in addition, as a multitasking benchmark with modern instruction sets, it tests stability in a way synthetics can not. I have had 24 hour stable P95 OCs fail under RB in 45 minutes.

2. I have not had an OC significantly limited by temps since Ivy Bridge. Usually hit the voltage wall 1st...though if ya want that last 0.1C, (V = 1.38 in BIOS, reaching peaks of 1.5 in stress testing) water is the way to go.

3. Many of us use custom loops for silence ... if i can tell the PC is on when sitting next to it with monitor off, = unacceptable.

4. The reason folks clean custom loops is to address clogging or dye fades. CLCs experience the same thing, just nothing you can do about it. But can't argue with air's simplicity. Cleaning the fans tho, is only haf the effort tho ... it's the dust between the fins that is the PITA. You can eliminate the leak risk by a leak test using a small 12v PSU ($15)... no risk when PC is not plugged in.

5. I agree tho, with the best air cooler (Fuma) available only $45 these days, beating most CLCs and all within 2 - 3 times it's cost, it's hard to make a case for CLCs. In my experience, more folks are going to custom loops for silence and aesthetics than performance improvement these days.

Cold additives have added anti-corrosion and anti-bacterial inhibitors in addition to color and a real and very good addition is a super-fluxing additive !!!!!

The issue with most additives is useful life, all of these tend to lose their effectiveness over time. The science of water cooling is over 100 years old. Every power plant using gas / diesel generators has a 'corrosion consultant" that comes in at least quarterly to test cooling water for the effectiveness of corrosion, algae inhibitors and "water wetters". Most manufactured coolants include these to some extent in their product.

well damnit , I knew these were on the way for a while...but i already have all the parts for my loop.would have been a nice compliment to my 1070 seahawks (that are corsair branded) ....

I didn't quite understand MSI's thinking in doing the co-branding with Corsair ... AFAIK, Asetek actually is still making all of Corsair's CLCs and not as if that's a secret. EK makes the WB on the Seahawk and I do find it quite odd that you can bu the MSI 2080 Seahawk with EK Block for roughly the same price, sometimes less.

The performance, aesthetic and sound arguments are all valid but will vary in importance by individual .... the only argument I find completely without merit is the "big heavy thing argument", unless you are shipping the box via a carrier. How can we be concerned about a 2 pound weight hanging off a MoBo in a case sitting on a sold desk after tightening down a water block with 60 - 70 pounds of clamping force. You literally have 70 pounds of force bending your skinny PCB as the HS pushes down on CPU while an equal and opposite force is at your hold down clamps. The calculated load differential is enormous. The weight presents almost a bending moment of one inch pound and the shear force is 0.5 pounds per mounting pin. Think of it this way ....

a) Take one of those picture hanging tacks bang it into the ceiling and hang your air cooler on it. Would you stand underneath it ?
b) Now hang a 70 pound weight on it.. still wanna stand under it ?

a) Take a 12" x 48" piece of sheetrock suspended between two cinderblocks, put a 5 pound weight on it
b) Take a 12" x 48" piece of sheetrock suspended long ways between two cinderblocks, put a 175 pound weight on it

Which is the safest bet that the sheetrock doesn't break ?

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

You might start with a Open Loop (expandable AIO) from Swiftech or EK and Maybe a Seahawk EK GFX card ... all thats left to do is add two fittings and a tube. Tho personally, I'd be inclined to use compression fittings if the model uses barbed. My son did that and regretted it tho ... it was so easy, he wished he'd overcome his fears and went custom.

1. You are severely limiting your OC by using P95 as a measuring stick. That's kinda like seeing if the nail in your wall is capable of hanging your daughter's gradutaion picture by hanging a 400 pound weight on it. RoG Real Bench will put a much higher load on your CPU than it will ever see IRL and will drop temps by 8 to 10C ... in addition, as a multitasking benchmark with modern instruction sets, it tests stability in a way synthetics can not. I have had 24 hour stable P95 OCs fail under RB in 45 minutes.

2. I have not had an OC significantly limited by temps since Ivy Bridge. Usually hit the voltage wall 1st...though if ya want that last 0.1C, (V = 1.38 in BIOS, reaching peaks of 1.5 in stress testing) water is the way to go.

3. Many of us use custom loops for silence ... if i can tell the PC is on when sitting next to it with monitor off, = unacceptable.

4. The reason folks clean custom loops is to address clogging or dye fades. CLCs experience the same thing, just nothing you can do about it. But can't argue with air's simplicity. Cleaning the fans tho, is only haf the effort tho ... it's the dust between the fins that is the PITA. You can eliminate the leak risk by a leak test using a small 12v PSU ($15)... no risk when PC is not plugged in.

5. I agree tho, with the best air cooler (Fuma) available only $45 these days, beating most CLCs and all within 2 - 3 times it's cost, it's hard to make a case for CLCs. In my experience, more folks are going to custom loops for silence and aesthetics than performance improvement these days.

The issue with most additives is useful life, all of these tend to lose their effectiveness over time. The science of water cooling is over 100 years old. Every power plant using gas / diesel generators has a 'corrosion consultant" that comes in at least quarterly to test cooling water for the effectiveness of corrosion, algae inhibitors and "water wetters". Most manufactured coolants include these to some extent in their product.

Used to deal with Chem-Aqua for this with the cooling towers I maintained with my old job, they would come out once a month at least to check chem levels and such in each system. I did some of the testing and such myself as needed but really getting into it is what they were for.

You also only die once, though.

One goes hand-in-hand with the other...... Sad but true. :oops:

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Im still super anxious/scared to do my own water loop. It is literally the final frontier of PC building for me. :x
Same. But I just cant bring myself to do what needs to be done in terms of upkeep on the custom loops.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The final thing my PC needs before i can retire, is a custom loop.

Corsair is delivering.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Yep! The appeal of the AIO is the maintenance-free apsect. It would be really stressful for me to drain/clean the loop every year, let alone more often. :/

Do a custom loop, you won't regret it :)

Do a custom loop, you won't regret it :)
Maybe you can help me do one? I mean we are both from UK and my confidence is almost zero. I would love to ask if you could maybe come over and help me set it all up? I could pay you for it too^^ Also if I was going to do this I would really ask that you can help me maintain it too, at least until I am confident doing it. I also have 0 knowledge of any brands, parts, how it goes together :/ i am literally as newb as it gets so advice/help/guidance would be much appreciated:love:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Maybe you can help me do one? I mean we are both from UK and my confidence is almost zero. I would love to ask if you could maybe come over and help me set it all up? I could pay you for it too^^ Also if I was going to do this I would really ask that you can help me maintain it too, at least until I am confident doing it. I also have 0 knowledge of any brands, parts, how it goes together :/ i am literally as newb as it gets so advice/help/guidance would be much appreciated:love:

Easily taught and easily dealt with :D

Processor I9 13900k
Motherboard Asus z690 hero
Cooling Next Kraken X72
Memory 32GB gskill 6000
Video Card(s) xfx 7900xtx black
Storage Intel 900P 480GB/ sabrent rocket 4 plus 4tb
Display(s) Asus PA32DC
Case ASUS TUF GT502
Audio Device(s) Sony TA-ZH1ES & Sony Z1R
Power Supply Corsair 1500i