• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Confirms Latest Windows 10 Update May Decrease Performance in Certain Gaming Scenarios

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
From a security point of view, using computers is NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!

Besides, in the age of adblockers, pi-holes, and constantly updated browsers, infections are becoming far rarer of a problem then in years past. OS updates are very important, yes, but by blocking ad networks the primary attack vector for computer viruses has long been cut off.

Compare this to real life. It also contains risks, but we do our best to mitigate them as much as we feel is necessary and possible. That mitigating also comes from knowledge and experience about the world around us. Computer security is no different, it evolves and we usually do a pretty decent job at mitigating most of the nasty stuff. Willingly using outdated OS and connecting to the internet is like driving a car without safety belts and airbags - you may crash, and if you do, you get the full effect of it. It all depends on the driver and the analogy even goes further - your safe driving affects everyone else on the road.

I firewall windows 7 machines into the ground at work
if you continue to use windows 7 now you are a idiot and should be banned from the internet you are a danger to your self and everybody else

Depends on the setting you use it in, but yes, generally speaking...

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I firewall windows 7 machines into the ground at work
if you continue to use windows 7 now you are a idiot and should be banned from the internet you are a danger to your self and everybody else
The only idiot here is you. Windows 7 is still currently supported, and is no more vulnerable then windows 10. Until april of 2020, windows 7 is no more unsecure then more modern versions of Windows. When given MSE antivirus, it is running the same defender profiles as windows 10, it is running the same version of chrome, and is receiving the same security updates.

Do you care to explain how windows 7, receiving the same security updates and running the same browsers, is somehow more dangerous to run then 8, 8.1, or 10?
Until of course something like what happened with Google Chrome where they found a way to escape the sandbox and exploit the kernel.
That would also be able to affect currently supported versions of windows, not just older versions. What is your point?

Compare this to real life. It also contains risks, but we do our best to mitigate them as much as we feel is necessary and possible. That mitigating also comes from knowledge and experience about the world around us. Computer security is no different, it evolves and we usually do a pretty decent job at mitigating most of the nasty stuff. Willingly using outdated OS and connecting to the internet is like driving a car without safety belts and airbags - you may crash, and if you do, you get the full effect of it. It all depends on the driver and the analogy even goes further - your safe driving affects everyone else on the road.
Your analog doesn't really work, because I dont see people preaching the end of modern civilization and labeling drivers of classic cars idiots and morons over airbags.

no DX12 is a huge killer for me. 7 was a great os but it;s time to move on. I was extremely autistic when 8 came out, swore by 7. then 8,1 cam out and i switched. I didn't favour it but it was a decent os. when 10 came out i never looked back. IMO 10 is better in every way (except making a decent network bridge lmao). Old technology needs to die so technology can move on. Some people still using XP today lol.. I got my w10 Pro key for a tenner on amazon btw
Yeah, all those DX12 exclusive titles like..........um.....

Oh, hey, BF5 has it, although it doesnt perform noticeably different or look better then the DX11 version. Oh! But you can use DLSS with DX12! Or just out a dirty glass in front of your face, same effect really.

totally worth a completely broken update system and quality control rivaling 70s american cars.../s

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
The only idiot here is you. Windows 7 is still currently supported, and is no more vulnerable then windows 10. Until april of 2020, windows 7 is no more unsecure then more modern versions of Windows. When given MSE antivirus, it is running the same defender profiles as windows 10, it is running the same version of chrome, and is receiving the same security updates.

Do you care to explain how windows 7, receiving the same security updates and running the same browsers, is somehow more dangerous to run then 8, 8.1, or 10?

That would also be able to affect currently supported versions of windows, not just older versions. What is your point?

Your analog doesn't really work, because I dont see people preaching the end of modern civilization and labeling drivers of classic cars idiots and morons over airbags.

Yeah, all those DX12 exclusive titles like..........um.....

Oh, hey, BF5 has it, although it doesnt perform noticeably different or look better then the DX11 version. Oh! But you can use DLSS with DX12! Or just out a dirty glass in front of your face, same effect really.
page 9
https://www-cdn.webroot.com/6515/2168/8585/Webroot_2018_Threat_Report_US.pdf
thx for playing good luck being a Luddite

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
How many of those 7 users didnt have antivirus installed, or worse, were using norton or mcafee (or worse, is webroot saying their product is less capable on 7 then 10, which would be a laughable thing to report)? And per the report, windows 7 still has a majority of users compared to windows 10, so no shit there will be more 7 infections. Per my question, how is 7, up to date with MSE, any less secure then 10, you have not answered this question. This report doesnt mention AV used, nor how firewalls differ between companies. There are so many variables in this report it is laughable.

We still run 7 on the majority of our computers at work. We have a basic firewall and use Webroot. Guess what? Our machines are fine. They are not infected up the arse. There is no abnormal network traffic on our network, detected be either us or our ISP. None of our machines, scanned at random with different tools, have come back infected. Until security patches stop in april of 2020, there is nothing wrong with 7 compared to 10.

Last edited:
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
When Windows 7 is left unsupported in a year those exploits will be patched on Windows 10 but not on Windows 7. So when that happens then bad things will happen.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
the last time people refused to upgrade there os we where blessed with windows xp systems
think about that

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
On win 7 motherboard i can instal 4 Windows os if i want. Yust dont open, instal apps who dont need.

System Name Dell Workstation t5810
Processor Xeon CPU's E5-2683 v4 Broadwell-E Technology
Motherboard Broadwell-E X99
Cooling Default fan System Level 3
Memory 48GB DDR4
Video Card(s) ASRock Vega 56 8GB
Storage 4 External SSD, 4 External HDD
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Case Dell Precision 7810 Case
Audio Device(s) RealTek High Definition
Power Supply 825 Watts PSU
Mouse Soundless Black Quiet Mouse
Keyboard Dell Black
Software Windows Pro 10 x64
From a security point of view... NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!
I don't have security on my computer right now, infact i never do and i never have any problems. I didn't think anyone use any anti-virus programs anymore lol, that's so 90ish/2000ish.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Well at least Microshaft told us about this issue for once instead of finding it out later, good on them for that.

I dont have to worry about that as most of my Computers are running faster, snappier, less F ed up Windows 7.

Also who in the heck uses Windows firewall? its as good as Swiss cheese, full of holes, install a real Firewall and your good.

Will MS really stop support of Windows 7 next yr? I dont think they will because its still has a massive amount of people world wide using it, I can see them carrying on support for a little longer and with the amount of Issues W10 has I still get people asking for Windows 7 Installs over 10 and if clients get to the point they dont have a choice they will move to Apple.

MS has alot of work to do to convince millions of users that there new OS is as stable and good to use as Windows 7 is, once they do that then its all good but I have noticed with two new computers I just did for clients that 1. Office 2019 only supports W10 and 2. parts of Adobe photoshop suite doesnt work on 7 so the choice for these two clients was very limited and both didnt want W10.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I didn't think anyone use any anti-virus programs anymore lol, that's so 90ish/2000ish.

Actually, you would be quite wrong. Many, many millions use them, and the name may be confusing you. They call themselves AV still, but really most of them now are complete anti-malware solutions.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Actually, you would be quite wrong. Many, many millions use them, and the name may be confusing you. They call themselves AV still, but really most of them now are complete anti-malware solutions.
quiet wrong about many things I am afraid

Well at least Microshaft told us about this issue for once instead of finding it out later, good on them for that.

I dont have to worry about that as most of my Computers are running faster, snappier, less F ed up Windows 7.

Also who in the heck uses Windows firewall? its as good as Swiss cheese, full of holes, install a real Firewall and your good.

Will MS really stop support of Windows 7 next yr? I dont think they will because its still has a massive amount of people world wide using it, I can see them carrying on support for a little longer and with the amount of Issues W10 has I still get people asking for Windows 7 Installs over 10 and if clients get to the point they dont have a choice they will move to Apple.

MS has alot of work to do to convince millions of users that there new OS is as stable and good to use as Windows 7 is, once they do that then its all good but I have noticed with two new computers I just did for clients that 1. Office 2019 only supports W10 and 2. parts of Adobe photoshop suite doesnt work on 7 so the choice for these two clients was very limited and both didn't want W10.

its your job as a MSP to make them understand, if you don't believe in the product you are recommending then neither will the client

I am sure somebody will chime in with a edge case or some other reason but

there is absolutely no reason to use windows 7 over 10, 10 is in every mensurable way a superior os, it runs faster on the same hardware, its more secure its a easier os to configure,its all around a lighter os it offers more functionality

anybody that claims otherwise does not know what they are doing PERIOD

the people that drag there feet and wait until the last possible second to upgrade are the scourge of IT support every-ware it causes problems with both aging hardware compatibility software compatibility when that one piece of badly written software does not way to play nice and we end up pulling a all day shift trying to make it work , (and let me make this next part very clear) because some vendor still codes everything like its 2001 (and yes this happens ALL OF THE TIME from major corporations E.G general motors software,progressive insurance to name a couple )

and its always a massive pain in the ass and always the client has waited till the last second to make the change over and demands everything work right now)

and then when enviably when something doesn't work in the exact same manner as they are used to the phone rings

upgrade early upgrade often in the long run both you and the client will do better

Last edited:
System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
HAHA LOL maybe for older games that only require DX11 or less but try playing a newer AAA game that requires the use of DX12 as for mouse latency I have the same latency in Win7 as I do in Win10 for my Logitech G502 so maybe look at the software you're running for your mouse
I sometimes wonder if people who keep mentioning DX12 as if it's gasoline of video games (adoption-wise) have any clue about statistics...

I've been avoiding home versions ever since I learned about the missing group policy editor feature the hard way in Windows 7:) If you like to tweak around in your OS it's always best to install ultimate or enterprise in this case. The update system is something I specifically researched before picking a Win 10 version.
GPO doesn't allow the same set of control over updates in 10 the way it does 7, specifically with issues like these (where you do want to install specific updates, but avoid that specific MS f*ckup). You'll need other tools for that (e.g. Update Minitool, whatever patching system sysadmins use).

I love how folks here bashing the air when it's their own fault for upgrading to Windows 10 Home because it's "free", instead of "I have no choice" BS. Since there are cheap legit keys for the Pro editions, might as well go get it while you can & then defer all those updates, tweak the OS & turn off all the settings to get back some control from Microsoft.
"Folks" can change the narrative to "big bad corp extorting money from consumers for necessities." And that would still leave comparison to older versions of Windows valid, so....

No, they won't, and honestly, the shouldn't.
They won't because it goes against their entire MO thus far; support has already been dropped for 7 on many fronts (hardware support is a major example), and allocating resources to maintain an OS that doesn't generate income would make no sense once the legal obligation expires. And let's not forget that people were throwing tantrums over XP as well, didn't stop MS from ditching it (nor did many users, for a while).

They shouldn't, because, well, 7 is old, and it's missing too much stuff that can't be simply plugged in. I'm all for legacy support 'n all, but 7's planned obsolescence has been known for a decade now, and as long as my win32 software continue to run, I'm ok on that front.

Imo, Windows 10 isn't a bad platform in its entirety. Microsoft stubbornness and disregard for consumers' choice and privacy in matters regarding telemetry and data collection, updates and software pushes, etc, are well noted, and I personally would rather see them fix those in 10 rather than maintain 7.

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
I'd pay more for an gamers edition of Windows. One that has less crap in it like Cortana and bs like that. Just run the game and what it takes to run the game and nothing else...wishful thinking i know.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
I'd pay more for an gamers edition of Windows. One that has less crap in it like Cortana and bs like that. Just run the game and what it takes to run the game and nothing else...wishful thinking i know.

It's called an XBox one S or X choice is yours

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
It's called an XBox one S or X choice is yours

Nope, not the same in the least. Not that i dislike consoles are anything, I've got a PS4 pro. I've built a PC to be more powerful than any current console only to be brought down by an OS update. An update to some program no one hardly uses anyhow.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
u know there's no such thing as "gaming edition" of Windows 10 when it's clearly a heavily modified Pro edition of the OS. btw, you can make your own by getting Win 10 Pro, disable every single settings post-installation, tweak registry & change UWP app behaviours. (assume you have some beef with UWP) also, it's plain dumb to blame MS when most of the fault lies with the end user who thinks they have no control over their PC.

Last edit: with all respect, Microsoft & other large companies HAS the right to collect or mine your data after you clicked "Agree" to their EULA, regardless of whether you read it or not. Heck, every single software we install, every social media accounts we made & whatnot; ALL have EULAs that we agreed on in order to use them. No point in talking about privacy when you "surrender" your social freedom after signing up. Seeing Win 10 doing all these are nothing new. So why complain about it when you know you half-heartedly agreed to it?

System Name Staggered
Processor Intel i5 6600k (XSPC Rasa)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3
Cooling RX360 (3*Scythe GT1850) + RX240 (2*Scythe GT1850) + Laing D5 Vario (with EK X-Top V2)
Memory 2*8gb Team Group Dark @3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 1.25v
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 1070 HerculeZ
Storage 256gb Samsung 830 + 2*1tB Samsung F3 + 2*2tB Samsung F4EG
Display(s) Flatron W3000H 2560*1600
Case Cooler Master ATCS 840 + 1*120 GT1850 (exhaust) + 1*230 Spectre Pro + Lamptron FC2 (fan controller)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I feel like this is a patch to a patch that another patch fuckered up.
My install is 2 months old and I feel like Microsoft has seriously fucked me over!!!
I have issues with Killer network drivers...my mouse falls under browsers and then they lock up but the PC doesn't.. It turns white-ish with the not responding message.
But it plays online games just friggin fine... Until it doesn't... Sometimes in the middle of a game I'll find myself on the desktop like I was there the whole time...

Getting seriously annoyed..
Yeah Windows 10 still has a bunch of issues, especially with "older" hardware.
For your Killer network controller, you can convert it into the base controller its built from. I have one too and it's based on a Qualcom controller. https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...2200-nic-into-qualcomm-atheros-ar8161.198899/

Also, if you have an older mechanical HDD (like I have from Samsung), advanced power management (APM) is fucked up. So it will randomly go to sleep mid-game, then realize it's still in use and start up again straight away. With some games this just makes them freeze for a few seconds while the HDD wakes up but in others it can cause crashes (Path of Exile gave me your messageless crash). You can disable APM with a bunch of software. I personally use CrystalDiskMark and it works fine.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Nope, not the same in the least. Not that i dislike consoles are anything, I've got a PS4 pro. I've built a PC to be more powerful than any current console only to be brought down by an OS update. An update to some program no one hardly uses anyhow.

But its not brought down by an 'OS update'. Even with the reduced performance there is a fair chance you'd never even notice. Like I'm saying, I play quite a lot of games and I really can't tell - from a clean install compared to having all the spectre, meltdown mitigations from the MB vendor and MS itself updated. And even IF you don't like an update, this topic contains the info you need to avoid it. No different from any situation on 7, where tinkering was needed to get things the way you want them to be.

I think people misunderstand things quite a bit. MS does not benefit from making its OS more bloated and overall slower, especially not if they want to push it or lightweight versions of it to smaller and more mobile devices. MS also has a gaming brand on the PC they call Xbox. They also have a gaming brand called Xbox consoles. MS does not benefit from making gaming slower on any platform. This is why they also push things like a game mode, though frankly, I never use it because the difference isn't really noticeable.

These things, just like a broken update, hurt their brand image. And that extends beyond the consumer realm as well. These same consumers are also employees working with MS enterprise solutions.

Bottom line, we share a lot of things as consumers and MS, we mostly want the same thing, there is little reason to be against everything and most notably, against progress. I'm using 7 and 10 side by side almost daily and I can objectively say 10 is faster and more responsive in every way, it boots faster, it is less prone to crashing or not being able to continue when other applications crash, and yes, it gets more updates which also means sometimes things change a bit. On 7, most updates served to fix glaring security holes everywhere and 'add functionality' such as a half broken Windows Defender, which, ironically, is also one of the better anti malware suites right now on 10.

ALL have EULAs that we agreed on in order to use them. No point in talking about privacy when you "surrender" your social freedom after signing up. Seeing Win 10 doing all these are nothing new. So why complain about it when you know you half-heartedly agreed to it?

Wow wow hold on now. Is that really a choice? There is legislation coming and already in place that limits the weight of an EULA, specifically because its a 'choice' that presents no real choice; you either suck it up or you don't use a product or service. There isn't much to agree to, in many cases you've already made an expense prior to accepting it, a sale was already made, etc.

Its the same as the recent adaptation to cookie walls; forcing a user to click 'accept' or otherwise denying access to the website is going to be considered illegal. Cookie walls must be adjusted, users have to be able to visit sites WITH the actual choice of disabling tracking cookies and telemetry. In the same way, I expect an OS with near monopoly to follow the same principle.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/european-data-protection-board-backs-61821/

Its an interesting battle over our data being waged right now and the devil is in these details. Its only a matter of time for everyone to get back in line.

Last edited:
System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
as someone who frequently use beta builds of Windows, I say Windows OS has come a long way. 10 is by far the better overall OS when it comes to supporting newer hardware, loves super fast storage drives like a PCIe SSD, DirectX Ray Tracing API (only for RTX GPUs), HDR support & whatnot. Comparing Win 7 to 10 is like saying that a classic race car is better than a new-gen race car fitted with bleeding edge tech when older stuff will run into more problems much more frequently as support for them becomes irrelevant or has reached EOL.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Wow wow hold on now. Is that really a choice? There is legislation coming and already in place that limits the weight of an EULA, specifically because its a 'choice' that presents no real choice; you either suck it up or you don't use a product or service. There isn't much to agree to, in many cases you've already made an expense prior to accepting it, a sale was already made, etc.

Its the same as the recent adaptation to cookie walls; forcing a user to click 'accept' or otherwise denying access to the website is going to be considered illegal. Cookie walls must be adjusted, users have to be able to visit sites WITH the actual choice of disabling tracking cookies and telemetry. In the same way, I expect an OS with near monopoly to follow the same principle.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/european-data-protection-board-backs-61821/

Its an interesting battle over our data being waged right now and the devil is in these details. Its only a matter of time for everyone to get back in line.

Agreed. I think these people are mining way too much of our data. And what choice do we have?

I can't very well switch to Linux, so I'm stuck on W10 (albeit with ShutUp10, but we can't really be sure how effective that is).

I'm trying to stay away from Google, but all I've really managed to do is switch to a chrome derivative run by people who (supposedly) aren't mining my data. Also, I can't afford an iPhone, not that Apple is a whole lot better...

Cookies contain data that make websites work for you. For instance, you're not logging into TPU and posting here if you have sworn off of using cookies. That said, there's a vast difference between a cookie that stores your login info here at TPU, to a cookie that tracks you all over the web...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Agreed. I think these people are mining way too much of our data. And what choice do we have?

I can't very well switch to Linux, so I'm stuck on W10 (albeit with ShutUp10, but we can't really be sure how effective that is).

I'm trying to stay away from Google, but all I've really managed to do is switch to a chrome derivative run by people who (supposedly) aren't mining my data. Also, I can't afford an iPhone, not that Apple is a whole lot better...

Cookies contain data that make websites work for you. For instance, you're not logging into TPU and posting here if you have sworn off of using cookies. That said, there's a vast difference between a cookie that stores your login info here at TPU, to a cookie that tracks you all over the web...

Thing is, its really not hard to make these distinctions within cookies (tracking / storing login info, etc), but it eats into a business model. There are some websites that already present choices, they provide a popup with several checkboxes and a brief explanation of what they do. What's been happening in the past few decades is that advertising had a free pass to mine data and improve the ad services because people weren't 'in the know' about how that data was mined. Today that is different and advertisers got addicted to all that easy money. All this panic about the internet dying due to adblockers and cookie walls or GDPR are complete BS, its the same as this eternal fear of the OS upgrade: change. I think its very clear that the current, constant escalation of how ads are presented (both online and offline) cannot last, this is why people actively do things to avoid advertising all the time.

your issues have nothing todo with microsoft you have a hardware problem bud
I'm pretty sure your Shift key and these two weirdos (.,) are in pristine condition on your keyboard.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
It's funny how people complain so much about Windows 10 yet I have it running on a variety of hardware in my home and I have absolutely no issues. I even support other people and do computer work for them and even they have no issues with Windows 10. I have no idea why people complain so much, I have no issues. Then again, I'm not trying to tweak this and that in the OS; I leave things pretty much alone. As for the telemetry, I just turn the thing to Basic mode and that's it. If it's good enough for Europe and their GDPR it's good enough for me.

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
that exists its called windows 10 enterprise

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
It's funny how people complain so much about Windows 10 yet I have it running on a variety of hardware in my home and I have absolutely no issues. I even support other people and do computer work for them and even they have no issues with Windows 10. I have no idea why people complain so much, I have no issues. Then again, I'm not trying to tweak this and that in the OS; I leave things pretty much alone. As for the telemetry, I just turn the thing to Basic mode and that's it. If it's good enough for Europe and their GDPR is good enough for me.
I like W10. I have it on most of my pc’s. But your experience is anecdotal. Equally anecdotal are the many people who have problems even upgrading to the new feature update every six months, including me once or twice. This then necessitates a fresh install every 6 months, which is ridiculous. 6 months is too frequent.

For this reason, I advocate to everyone I help to get W10, but get Pro at least, so they can control this way too frequent new OS install every 6 months. This can limit it to once per year, which is much more reasonable.