• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Announces Steam Link App for Mobile Game Streaming Anywhere

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Valve had promised continued support to the Steam Link after discontinuing it last year, and most took it to mean basic updates to the hardware device itself at the time. That was 2018, and it is remarkable how the topic of in-house game streaming has come up since. Be it Google's Project Stream which seemingly is leading up to a major announcement by the company at GDC coming up very shortly, or Microsoft introducing their new Wireless Display app for PC game streaming on the XBOX One, as well as bringing its XBOX Live service to mobile platforms on iOS or Android alike, 2019 seems to herald a re-focus into the concept of game streaming whether the infrastructure is ready or not.

Valve for their own part has had their Steam Link be enjoyed by a fairly niche audience, one that shares a more local form of game streaming from a host device to another on the same network. NVIDIA's Shield offered a similar concept, and that too has not really made the news as much as NVIDIA would surely have wanted. This latest news from Valve allows streaming of one's Steam library (games, in particular) to phones, tablets, and TVs with no download or service fees applicable. Interested users can participate in the open beta program by simply downloading the app (Google Play store only for now) or on the Raspberry Pi as has been the case for a few months already. The Steam Link app is compatible with a number of popular Bluetooth controllers, including the Steam Controller, and Valve recommends a 5 GHz network or wired Ethernet for best experience. Looks like the weekend just got busier than I originally planned!

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

D

Deleted member 158293

Just like AMD ReLive Stream I guess, just that ReLive isn't limited to Steam games.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
No way Apple allows this on their iOS devices,......

Just now way,.....

The Steam gaming app still hasn't landed on iOS, so again no flipping way this is happening,...

Just like AMD ReLive Stream I guess, just that ReLive isn't limited to Steam games.
Functionally they're similar, but Valve has offered their solution for longer, so if anything, it's ReLive that is "just like" Steam Link. ;-)

For me the main plus of Steam Link is that it's available on Smart TVs. Or it was. Microsoft announced their own streaming app for Xbox lately, so that's what I'll be be going for (playing both console and PC games on the Xbox).

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
so much of pushing this kind of agenda when not many people in the world owns a decent Internet or postpaid plan when some ISPs are not giving advertised or promised speeds & 5G cellular network aren't even deployed.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
No, ReLive is more like GameStream (since both are limited to whichever GPU brand you are using). And it's just as buggy, and filled with shitton of unnecessary clutter.
If anything, AMD Live is the newest and the buggiest of the bunch.
SteamLink is platform-independent and GPU-independent. And I believe you can stream non-steam games as well (if you add them to the Steam library).

Tried SteamLink on several occasions now, and so far I like it. The performance is good even on WiFi (for platformers and adventure games), controls are OK.
Before that I used Gamestream with Moonlight client (since NV artificially locked their protocol to Tegra devices).

so much of pushing this kind of agenda when not many people in the world owns a decent Internet or postpaid plan when some ISPs are not giving advertised or promised speeds & 5G cellular network aren't even deployed.
I think you are getting the very-very wrong idea of what this is a bout. SteamLink, AMD Live, NV Gamestream are all for living room streaming, e.g. from PC to Phone/Tablet/Set-top-box over local network.
Think of it as WiDi or Miracast, but with input controls and no Ad-hoc.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
While I'm not planning to use this new feature (heck, I barely ran the old, local streaming feature twice, for testing purposes), I think it's a good move. Back when playing games remotely meant having the entire content hosted/running on non-player-owned servers (and thank god these attempts didn't end well!), one couldn't help but to worry what the future would turn out to be; DRM is problematic as it already is, no need to give corporations even more power! Options are good, even if you don't use them.

I still think current -worldwide- internet infrastructure is way behind the ability to support these kinda things.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64

Just now way,.....

The Steam gaming app still hasn't landed on iOS, so again no flipping way this is happening,...
Well they just added Sony’s version so...that said they just crash both my phone an iPad. AMD Link works fine so don’t say never.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

Just now way,.....

I disagree. I think it probably will, they just are working on a different version that won't allow in app purchases.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
Mobile Game Streaming

Dear Lord that's a thing? Never thought Idiocracy would turn out to be an accurate documentary

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Is this really required? How about Valve Finally release a Half Life 3 and a Left 4 Dead 3 for goodness sake. It's been 10-15 Bloody Years already LOL

Is this really required?
Yes, this is the future of gaming. And not a very distant one, to be honest.
Everyone wants a piece.

Most big names (Microsoft, Google, Nvidia, AMD, Apple) focus on gaming services.
Valve is forced to rely on what they've been doing for a while: streaming between one home device to another.
I'm afraid the battle is lost anyway: both MS (PC > Xbox) and Nvidia (PC > Shield) have better solutions already. They only need to make apps for 3rd party clients.