• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choosing an S10

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
But making the battery easy to replace makes the phone bigger and heavier.

I really have no idea why that would be from an engineering standpoint. You are talking about making a door, in a phone. Besides a few o-rings, doors are actually voids with a cover, and aren't particularly heavy.

Waterproofing only makes sense if it's confirmed by the manufacturer.

It makes the most sense when it falls in the water and survives. Until then it's all just wordplay.

Random bloke? AOSP and LineageOS says hello.
Yeah, exactly like that.

At least Cyanogen was made by a proper company and controlled by people you could look up. And the product still was really bad.
I haven't checked LineageOS and it's unlikely I ever will.
But sometimes a screenshot is enough to put someone off and they've managed. This is how camera settings look. No offense, but this is just sad.

D

Deleted member 158293

Custom roms extend functions

My S7 is actually the first phone I haven't tinkered with, yet. It just works so well I haven't bothered, or had time for anymore. Doesn't mean I won't, just that I didn't need to and haven't had as much free time as I used to.

I've tinkered a lot with custom roms over the years... my personal favorite to fiddle in is still the old Motorola Atrix when it came to doing custom stuff on. You could do just about anything to that phone. Too bad Motorola had to pull the plug and discontinue it due to nvidia lying about their cpu specs and causing them a lot of trouble. They then trashed the Atrix brand with garbage followup phones.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I'm in a bit of a pickle - I can't choose between an S10e and the regular S10.
The main point of conflict is the camera - is the "telephoto" camera worth it? Can't seem to find any good article on the real usage of it.
Otherwise I like the "e" better.
Or maybe I should keep rocking my S6, the home button usually works, the battery is totally dead yet.

Just keep the phone you have and spend the $1000 on a real camera.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
My S7 is actually the first phone I haven't tinkered with, yet. It just works so well I haven't bothered, or had time for anymore. Doesn't mean I won't, just that I didn't need to and haven't had as much free time as I used to.

I've tinkered a lot with custom roms over the years... my personal favorite to fiddle in is still the old Motorola Atrix when it came to doing custom stuff on. You could do just about anything to that phone. Too bad Motorola had to pull the plug and discontinue it due to nvidia lying about their cpu specs and causing them a lot of trouble. They then trashed the Atrix brand with garbage followup phones.

I'm saying when an official o t a, Download update is not available to upgrade the Android version.

For my phone I would like the Bobcat user interface or the TouchWiz 3.0 user interface on the 4.4.2 Kit Kat kernel or the 6.0.1 kernel and if my phone has a unofficial kernel for 7 to 9, I'd use those as long as a battery life is still good this battery is only 2 years old going on three and still holds a good charge

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I haven't checked LineageOS and it's unlikely I ever will.

It's based on the AOSP build scripts now, which are made by a little company called google.

Cyangen was a mess of propietary code and weird shit.

This is how camera settings look. No offense, but this is just sad.

What exactly is wrong with them? You are aware you can install another app and that's intended as a basic barebones solution, right?

At least Cyanogen was made by a proper company and controlled by people you could look up.

If you ask me that's less reason to trust it. Lineage is signed and you can look up the people (who are mostly the same, just not doing it for pay anymore) too btw.

Yeah, exactly like that.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/contributors.html

The resume on a few of the heads is pretty extensive really.

I haven't spent more than $200 on a phone in over a decade, by the way. And I guarantee you I do everything you do / enjoy my phone just as much. I even have frickin google AR support.

System Name Pukeko
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL15
Video Card(s) Asus RX 5600 XT TUF Gaming X3 OC
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 2x ASUS TUF Gaming VG249Q
Case NZXT, H510i, Matte Black/Red, Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) TUF Gaming H3
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 550W Gold
Mouse Touchpad + Logitech MX518
Keyboard Cooler Master, CK 350, Outemu Red
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 7,42,69 and 666
Just keep the phone you have and spend the $1000 on a real camera.

I already have a DSLR, but I don't enjoy chugging it around. The best camera is which I can have on me all the time.

Regarding custom FW's - I did dabble with them, I think they were a must have during the S1, HTC One X times, they made the phones so much better, though stability was always worse and with some quirks all the time. Got tired of it and now I just wan't a phone that just works.

It's based on the AOSP build scripts now, which are made by a little company called google.
But the final system is not made by Google, but by a community of random people.
It's an open-source vs corporations discussion all over again.

I wouldn't trust a community driven OS on a phone that I use for banking or personal data. Maybe you would.
For a very similar reason I don't use small fan-made linux distros - just the big ones, ideally supported by someone with a proper name and real address.

The fact that it's been built on AOSP isn't very comforting as well. It may simply mean that people behind LineageOS don't know how to write an OS from scratch...
Cyangen was a mess of propietary code and weird shit.
And yet it was praised by many people - just like you're now praising LineageOS.
BTW: I wonder if your opinion hasn't changed over the years. ;-)
What exactly is wrong with them?
It's a horrid UI. I'm sure you can set everything, but holy s... - this has to be the most unfriendly camera app I've seen to date.
It just makes me sad to watch how this guy scrolls through the list of features.
Do you use this OS? Does this photo interface rotate to horizontal position? I'd love to see how that looks (I can't find it online).
You are aware you can install another app and that's intended as a basic barebones solution, right?
Camera apps provided by Samsung, Apple, LG and the likes are very good - most people won't need anything else.
This thing bundled with LineageOS looks like a development prototype.

And what's the point of this OS if the most important apps are "barebone"? You end up installing dozens of 3rd party apps to make the phone usable. How is that better than getting a Samsung with a bit of bloatware?
On my phone I installed just a handful of apps to replace what LG provided (like e-mail, task manager). Everything else was pretty great already.
Does the LineageOS camera app even support multiple cameras? Many popular apps don't.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
But the final system is not made by Google, but by a community of random people.

Yes, who can still manage better support than many OEMs. I don't know why you are going on about this? Company does not automaticaly equal better support, as evidenced here. They are notoriously behind in android land.

This thing bundled with LineageOS looks like a development prototype.

That's because it was. The app you are looking at came from 13.0 cyanogenmod and was scrapped in late 15.1 and is not even present as an option in pie. Another horrid Cyanogenmod design decision reversed. Oh wait, you love companies, so I guess that app was great. /s

Truthfully, I'll be honest: It wasn't that bad (I used it briefly and yes it rotated with no real fanfare, became a hamburger style menu then that fullscreened) but it wasn't that great either. Most users installed google camera from nexus land, myself included. The new app is much friendlier but it still lacks many options and support for things like infrared focus assist.

And what's the point of this OS if the most important apps are "barebone"?

Customization. I mean, you could try reading their homepage for a few minutes. BTW, you CAN uninstall the stock camera app. Boom. Mind blown.

Have you ever used an LG camera app?

Coming from a G3, they look good, but uh, I guess you'd better get used to 3 second pauses between photos (on day 1, btw).

The fact that I was using a G3 until about 5 days ago should tell you a bit about device support (by the way, the G3 still has march security updates).

Last edited:
System Name 1.Archimedes 2. Ianna
Processor 1. i7 7700k 2. R5 1600x
Motherboard 1. MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon 2. ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling 1. U12S with IPPC 3000RPM 2. AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 1. 16GB Crucial 2400MHz (4x4GB) 2. 16GB Crucial 2666Mhz (4x4GB)
Video Card(s) 1. MSI 1060 Gaming X Plus(6GB). 2. MSI 1050TI Gaming X (4GB)
Storage 1. 32GB Optane+120 GB SSD, 4TB X300, Firecuda 2TB. 2. Kingston 240GB SSD, 4TB X300, 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1.Samsung Q7FN 55 Inch 2. AOC G2460VQ6
Case 1. S340 Elite. 2. S340
Audio Device(s) 1. Q70R Soundbar 2.Lenovo Y Gaming, Galaxy Buds
Power Supply 1. Antec TPC 750W 2. Antec EAG650 Pro (Both Seasonic OEM)
Mouse G502, G102
Keyboard G413
I have a S10. Upgraded from S8 and im impressed by the new features. Honestly i would have bought it regardless. The three cameras (especially the one thats able to focus at very close range) are very useful and the fingerprint sensor works nicely, stereo speakers are great too. Other than that its not noticably faster than my S8.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
If budget isn't an option then just do it. Why are you asking random people you don't know on the internet to help justify your purchase?

DO IT, JUST DO IT <epic Shia flexs> TODAY YOU SAID TOMORROW, TOMORROW YOU'LL SAY TODAY. JJJUUUSSSTTT DDDOOOO IIITTTT <repeats absolute ultimate Shia flex> DONT LET YOUR TELEPHOTOS BE JELLYPHOTOS. JJJJUSSSST DDDOOOO IIITTTT

<multi-overlaid Shia in front of a green screen flexs>

<awkward grabby hands gestures>

System Name Pukeko
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL15
Video Card(s) Asus RX 5600 XT TUF Gaming X3 OC
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 2x ASUS TUF Gaming VG249Q
Case NZXT, H510i, Matte Black/Red, Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) TUF Gaming H3
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 550W Gold
Mouse Touchpad + Logitech MX518
Keyboard Cooler Master, CK 350, Outemu Red
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 7,42,69 and 666
If budget isn't an option then just do it. Why are you asking random people you don't know on the internet to help justify your purchase?

DO IT, JUST DO IT <epic Shia flexs> TODAY YOU SAID TOMORROW, TOMORROW YOU'LL SAY TODAY. JJJUUUSSSTTT DDDOOOO IIITTTT <repeats absolute ultimate Shia flex> DONT LET YOUR TELEPHOTOS BE JELLYPHOTOS. JJJJUSSSST DDDOOOO IIITTTT

<
multi-overlaid Shia in front of a green screen flexs>

<awkward grabby hands gestures>

Good point, everyone just started shouting their own opinions not really answering the original question..
Anyhow, bought an S10e. The flat power button annoyed me, but got used to it.

I'm in a bit of a pickle - I can't choose between an S10e and the regular S10.
The main point of conflict is the camera - is the "telephoto" camera worth it? Can't seem to find any good article on the real usage of it.
Otherwise I like the "e" better.
Or maybe I should keep rocking my S6, the home button usually works, the battery is totally dead yet.
I definitely recommend S10. I have been in the same situation and choose S10 because, for the small amount of extra dough, you get a lot more camera (both "normal" and "zoom" are optical stabilized) and better screen.
I was fortunate to take advantage of the S9 buy-back for $550 credit towards the S10.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
I've had the G9750 S10+ (snapdragon, 512gb, ceramic white), for more than a month now. It's really great. The g9750 variant also has unlocked bootloader, so you get the benefits of the snapdragon chipset with the possibility of custom roms if you need them. Literally only downside to s10+ is it's a tad heavy, you don't need the face unlock, just use the fingerprint sensor.

Managed to snag it for £900 too, which is £200 cheaper than the exynos ceramic variant here in the UK.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
It's not just a phone though is it? I use it more than my laptop. Can run full fledged Linux via Dex at my desk, and it's processor is equivalent to an i5-7200u. Tell me more about how your laptop with those specs, 8gb of ddr4, 512gb ssd and a QHD+ OLED screen cost less than £900 new. If you're too poor to afford the best equipment that's your issue not anyone else's.

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
I have the S8+ (should of gotten the S8) but anyway I'm liking it. Updated to Pie recently and it has improved a lot though on the Verizon Carrier they mod the status bar on no original Icons which I'd like to have but it's whatever

There's really no no difference between the S8/S9/S10

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
There's really no no difference between the S8/S9/S10
I like better the cameras in my S10 than the one I had in S9. The "2x" zoom is equivalent to 52mm camera - that's the normal focal length for 35mm cameras, and similar with human field of view, it just feels "natural".
The "normal" zoom is equivalent to 26mm on both phones, and that's a very "wide" angle. Great for indoors and landscapes, but... sometimes it looks wrong, because of the field of view wider than normal vision.
The superwide camera on S10 is equivalent to 12mm! Now... that's super great indoors!

Also, it feels snappier, less laggy. No wonder... the BaseMark OS 2.0 on S9 is 3382 and on S10 is 4465, and S10e is 4264. For reference iPhone XS Max is around 3900...

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Camera's so so but everything else is the same besides the chipsets of course cpu side :toast:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I've just upgraded myself to a P30 Pro.. I believe it's cheaper than my sister and brother in laws S10 and possibly better. The camera was the most important thing to me for my daughters really (you know a 6 year old has to have a good selfie.... :)) but over the £9 extra a month I was paying for the contract for 300 minutes, 2000 3 to 3 minutes and 12Gb data (what I was on before with my P10) I now have unlimited everything. So for the price of the phone for whatever that was, plus all of that, I'm rather pleased..

That said, I've yet to take it out the box....... Funerals and daughters taking my time up.. I mean honestly how dare they... I'll report back when I get it unboxed and used for a few hours if anyone is interested :)

Audio Device(s) Onboard
You know I find it funny now that we rely on our phones camera quality more then a Camera that's $$$

Even our reporters on the news use phones to either record voice or a shot with the camera :slap:

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
You know I find it funny now that we rely on our phones camera quality more then a Camera that's $$$

We rely on the phones camera because no one wants to tote around a suitcase for all the different pieces of equipment.

Audio Device(s) Onboard