• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electronic Arts Lets Go of 350 Employees Amidst Internal Restructuring

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
It would be a safe bet to admit that Electronic Arts (EA) has not had the best 12, or even 24, months as a publisher. While their sports division continues to thrive, it may well be the one business unit holding down the fort. Their use of the Star Wars license has been dubious at best when it comes to execution, with reports on cancelled games and Battlefront II (the new one) not meeting expectations. Battlefield V has also not lit the field on fire, unless you are playing the new Firestorm battle royal mode in a literal sense, and the less said about Anthem the better. Apex Legends was introduced to much fanfare at launch, but the recent battle pass has soured many on the future of this new IP.

Perhaps it was a matter of when, rather than if, that the company would find a personnel restructure to be in order, and today just happened to be the day. EA CEO Andrew Wilson helped put out a statement on their website, recognizing a challenging world ahead and that they are "making deliberate moves to better deliver on our commitments, refine our organization and meet the needs" of players. These moves and changes involve letting go of as many as 350 people (out of 9000 total, or around 4%) unfortunately, most of whom are on their publicity and marketing departments, while also toning down their presence in Japan and Russia. We here at TechPowerUp are always saddened to hear such news, and take solace in knowing that EA is helping the laid-off personnel find new employment opportunities.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Marketing department? Good riddance.
Given how most of the newer EA trailers are strait up false advertising.
Their PR department contains some of the most unhelpful personal to player complaints.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Their PR department contains some of the most unhelpful personal to player complaints.
Quite dehumanizing attitude you got there. Hope you won't get in a similar situation one day.

Also, it's quite shortsighted to think it was these people alone who decided EAs' focus of advertising. They are given shitty material to work and have to make it look good, it's not their fault Battlefront 2 was a pile of hot shit and the other games aren't really innovative nor cheap. And as for false advertisement, blame on deregulation who let these companies do that without real consequences.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
blame on deregulation who let these companies do that without real consequences.

Blame the people who kept filling EA's pockets with gold while they used such exploitative measures time and time again which made it an acceptable norm. Though granted, not everyone can help themselves. Gambling addiction can be a difficult habit to kick

If everyone boycotted EA and said "I'm not buying anymore EA games till they remove this shit" then of course EA would have to respond. But the problem is that even though the gaming community is one entity as a whole, we're just not very good at being completely united in the things that we do.

A load of people called for a boycott of Anthem when they messed with the loot drops. While a lot of people were very vocal about it on reddit, I bet you less than half of those who were shouting about it and nodding their heads in agreement with others, ignored the boycott and got their head stuck in the game.

Same with Metro Exodus. I'm sure the game sold moderately well because and people caved in and downloaded epic launcher to buy it. While the sales aren't as high as they could of been. They've already been handsomely compensated for it.

Last edited:
Processor Core i7-12700k
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Quite dehumanizing attitude you got there. Hope you won't get in a similar situation one day.

Also, it's quite shortsighted to think it was these people alone who decided EAs' focus of advertising. They are given shitty material to work and have to make it look good, it's not their fault Battlefront 2 was a pile of hot shit and the other games aren't really innovative nor cheap. And as for false advertisement, blame on deregulation who let these companies do that without real consequences.
It is their choice to work there.
So yeah I have been in similar situations before, guess what happened?
I found a new job, because you will if you are a competent personnel.
Also EA is being the "good guy" and help them find new jobs.
I doubt EA is the kind of employer that treats their workforce nicely anyway, given how exploitative EA is in their nature.

EA is falling apart. They have done crap in the way of quality games. They've had a few decent games, and a few technology showcase games, but nothing of any real quality in the last decade. No one is going to miss them if they shut down.

Last edited:
System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
EA F up everything, now themselves.
GG

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
It is their choice to work there.
So yeah I have been in similar situations before, guess what happened?
I found a new job, because you will if you are a competent personnel.
Also EA is being the "good guy" and help them find new jobs.
I doubt EA is the kind of employer that treats their workforce nicely anyway, given how exploitative EA is in their nature.
So if you’ve been shitcanned from work, you might have some empathy. Employees don’t make the decisions. They just work with what they have been given so they can (many of them) provide for families, because good jobs aren’t waiting outside the door.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Sometimes it's not the company at fault, but the culture of the employees.
If they've been getting a free ride for too long and not pulling their weight, sometimes it's best to burn the dead wood and start afresh.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
System Name cryohellinc PC
Processor i7-4770k @4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 2100mhz
Storage 3ssd - 64gb (software) ;128 (software + operational system); 256gb - Games + 1TB HDD
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR + Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard SteelSeries 6gv2 + custom O-Rings. Using Via PS2 connector
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
What an ignorant person, clearly you have no knowledge whatsoever about what Marketing is and the colossal multitude of layers it incorporates.

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
I heard EA was making good games in past, now is just another footnote in web pages.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Firing employees doesn't solve your problems, EA, you need a whole new management.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
What an ignorant person, clearly you have no knowledge whatsoever about what Marketing is and the colossal multitude of layers it incorporates.
Implying I should somehow feel bad about what happens at EA after so many years?
It is nothing new, EA just like other poorly ran corporations starts laying off people that have the least to do with the problem until they either turn around or sink.
In this case I doubt EA marketing is all the innocent little lambs you would have hoped.

System Name cryohellinc PC
Processor i7-4770k @4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 2100mhz
Storage 3ssd - 64gb (software) ;128 (software + operational system); 256gb - Games + 1TB HDD
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR + Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard SteelSeries 6gv2 + custom O-Rings. Using Via PS2 connector
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Implying I should somehow feel bad about what happens at EA after so many years?
It is nothing new, EA just like other poorly ran corporations starts laying off people that have the least to do with the problem until they either turn around or sink.
In this case I doubt EA marketing is all the innocent little lambs you would have hoped.
I don't feel bad about what happens at EA one bit, however, you imply that it is somehow Marketings fault which is a totally useless aspect. Marketing is an essential aspect of any modern company, it delivers information to a potential customer base in one way or another. In set case of EA, information is rotten to the core. The fault itself starts from the head of a company - board members, and as far as I know, those are still the same. They make the key decisions, meanwhile, other workers get the blame and in the end - get booted.

If their board member resigned or got demoted - I would stand up and clap. Sadly I don't see that happening any time soon as scum that sits there will never take any responsibility for their actions.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
So if you’ve been shitcanned from work, you might have some empathy. Employees don’t make the decisions. They just work with what they have been given so they can (many of them) provide for families, because good jobs aren’t waiting outside the door.
If you really need to support a family, you really wouldn't be picky about getting a 'good' job.
There are jobs out there, and as long as they are legal and ethical I wouldn't consider them 'bad'.

I don't feel bad about what happens at EA one bit, however, you imply that it is somehow Marketings fault which is a totally useless aspect. Marketing is an essential aspect of any modern company, it delivers information to a potential customer base in one way or another. In set case of EA, information is rotten to the core. The fault itself starts from the head of a company - board members, and as far as I know, those are still the same. They make the key decisions, meanwhile, other workers get the blame and in the end - get booted.

If their board member resigned or got demoted - I would stand up and clap. Sadly I don't see that happening any time soon as scum that sits there will never take any responsibility for their actions.
Don't get me wrong, I am not implying the marketing guys are the only ones to blame.
But I wouldn't feel bad or be surprised that anyone lose their job at EA when the company have been ran poorly for years.
Maybe I would if the sanitizer cleaning the toilet gets fired for the blame, but those are usually out-sourced anyway :roll:

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Marketing = liars

Don't give them the time of day. The only ones more dishonest in a company are the execs.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
The level of immaturity and downright meanness is in this thread is so sad and disheartening. People actually glad that other people are losing their jobs is totally sick. These are human beings, not the faceless entity known as EA everybody loves to hate.

The level of immaturity and downright meanness is in this thread is so sad and disheartening. People actually glad that other people are losing their jobs is totally sick.
Do you need a hug? Lay-offs happen. It's a part of life that sucks, but those people are not hapless children, they will find other jobs.
These are human beings, not the faceless entity known as EA everybody loves to hate.
Not true. EA used to be a great company when they actually cared about the artistry of making quality games. After about 2008, it all went downhill in a hurry. They've never recovered. EA isn't even a mere shadow of it's former self and needs to shut down...

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Do you need a hug? Lay-offs happen. It's a part of life that sucks, but those people are not hapless children, they will find other jobs.

Not true. EA used to be a great company when they actually cared about the artistry of making quality games. After about 2008, it all went downhill in a hurry. They've never recovered. EA isn't even a mere shadow of it's former self and needs to shut down...

They couldn't even handle the success of BF1 and 2. Those are definitely two of the best MP games ever made and the 2nd one was the beginning of the end. I actually had to quit playing despite how much I loved it, b/c they introduced so many new bugs trying to patch the old ones. I haven't been back starting with BF4 and now it's just ruined.

Now, people will blame the devs every time (me included), but in the case of EA...I blame EA. They're the overarching hand of failure.

Last edited:
Pretty words from Andrew Wilson that he has to fire his all so dear friends at EA not saying it is because of his countless f**kups that screwed up EA and several games.

Andrew Wilson step aside and let someone with REAL know how operate EA like a proper game company. NOT like you, trying to make games out of greed with loot boxes and premature buggy releases just make your bottom line look good end of quarter.

RockStar is a great example, take time to develop a really amazing games with few bugs and make shit loads of money.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Disney could buy them out and destroy them once and for all.