• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Water Blocks Announces EK-Velocity sTR4 Water Block for 3rd Gen Threadripper

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
EK Water Blocks, the leading premium liquid cooling manufacturer, is releasing a new Quantum Line series EK-Velocity sTR4 water block lineup specifically designed for HEDT AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors. The cooling engine is utilizing a 3rd generation design with the cold plate covering the IHS of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor while the fin structure is covering the entire multi-die CPU layout. This brings further improvements to the cooling performance and heat transfer compared to previous generations.

The release of higher core count HEDT processors opened new opportunities and challenges for cooling solutions. The primary goal in designing the new EK-Velocity sTR4 water block was to completely redesign the cooling engine to achieve even better performance than the previous generations. A dense micro-fin structure counts 91 wide grooves to enable superb heat transfer.

Five different versions of the EK-Velocity sTR4 water block are now available:
  • EK-Velocity sTR4 D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
  • EK-Velocity sTR4 D-RGB - Nickel + Acetal
  • EK-Velocity sTR4 - Nickel + Plexi
  • EK-Velocity sTR4 - Nickel + Acetal
  • EK-Velocity sTR4 RGB - Full Nickel
Every EK-Velocity sTR4 water block comes with a precisely machined copper base (sometimes referred to as 'cold plate') which is made from purest copper available on the market and is treated with nickel electroplating. Unlike some other CPU blocks, the sTR4 comes with a polished cold plate to achieve the best possible heat transfer with the IHS of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor. The top of the water block is made from CNC machined POM Acetal, acrylic glass or nickel-plated brass (depending on the variant).

EK-Velocity sTR4 comes with a pre-assembled error-preventing mounting mechanism that is installed directly onto the SocketTR4 mounting holes. The result is a perfect installation which results in optimal performance every time. This also means the water block is out of the box compatible with AMD's server type Socket SP3 motherboards. With such a mounting solution, the user does not need to remove the motherboard from the case and so has a hassle-free installation procedure of the new CPU. It's recommended that users follow the EK-Velocity sTR4 water block installation manual for the suggested method of thermal grease application for the best-expected results.

The base plate is covering 100% of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS). The EK-Velocity sTR4 cooling engine implemented into the water block is the key to a high-flow design with low hydraulic restriction combined with high-performance cooling. The newly engineered cooling engine consists of 91 micro fins spanning over a large surface area ensuring superb heat transfer of all dies within the AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs.

The D-RGB versions of the EK-Velocity sTR4 water block are compatible with popular RGB sync technologies from all major motherboard manufacturers. The arrow marking on the 3-pin LED connector is to be aligned with the +5V marking on the D-RGB(A_RGB) header. You can easily remove the LED strip cover which is mounted with two screws to replace the LED strip with some other type LED strip.

The EK-Velocity sTR4 - Full Nickel is lit with standard 12V RGB LEDs and is compatible with popular RGB sync technologies from all major motherboard manufacturers. The arrow marking on the 4-pin LED connector is to be aligned with the +12V marking on the RGB header. You can easily remove the LED strip cover which is mounted with two screws to replace the LED strip with some other type LED strip.

Availability and Pricing
EK-Velocity sTR4 water blocks are made in Slovenia and are available for purchase through EK Webshop and Partner Reseller Network. In the table below you can see manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) with VAT included.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Looks monolithic, nice!

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Those micro fins cut deep into the plate, nice tooling.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
Cheap cheaper and even cheaper is the motive here.
You have an excellent TR4 cooleng solution and you do not know how to make a double circle on such a surface, half at the first entrance and returning to the other half of the block.
They prefer to push the liquid through the slit cracks and lose a great momentum of movement, while the distribution is dusty !
You have become dull. The channels are not deep at all and there is no rounded exit. Copper is very thin and looks more like a copy of many bad offers. I am disappointed with the development. The diodes and the nicely shaped cover will not cool .

It's a 3rd generation design in new block or for 3rd generation Threadripper? Announcement says the first, eyecatching title says the latter...

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
It's a 3rd generation design in new block or for 3rd generation Threadripper? Announcement says the first, eyecatching title says the latter...
Why not both?

Why not both?
One is a design improvement of a cooling block by a well known company, the other refers to the foreseen and much awaited in the media "3rd Gen Threadripper".

My objection here is for the title changing the sequence of words of the original info to get attention.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
The 3tg gene will have a center element that will act as a linker and a northern bridge .. which is not expected to 20 TPDs.
The entry of a fluid with this kind of liquid scattering is observed on almost all liquid cooling blocks, and here it is the main advantage to use the momentum of the kinetic force from the incoming liquid to perform compression between the block and the disperser, but a lot of fluidity is lost. TR block 2 is well-formed on the copper part, and the lid divided the liquid into all four DIEs, but it could easily be cooled by a less hot center. I surely do not have the processor to test it and conclude it, and as I mentioned, it could spin the liquid on such a large volume in two circles.
I'm not looking for attention, and the one who lives on old laurels will soon fall. Competition is big and it's hard to criticize one of the few good companies in my own country. I do not write anything for my own good or attention.