• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Betrays AMD's Socket AM4 Longevity Promise: No Zen2 for 300-series?

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
To be fair, AMD said they would keep using AM4 socket, they didn't say every board would support the new higher tdp >8c chips.
MSI choosing not to support any of them... well that's on them.

Remembering the am3/+ and lga775 days where socket didn't mean compatible...
iirc, msi had some of the better ram support for am4... this is truly disappointing.

That said, L1 tech support is not the end all answer.

System Name Evo PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Noctua NH15
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3,600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage 1TB WD SN750/512GB Samsung 870 EVO
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27 2K 165Hz
Case Fractal Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Supernova G2 1000
Mouse MSI Vigor GM11
Keyboard MSI Vigor GK30
Intel is slower? What drugs are you on?

Don't get me wrong, Ryzen rocks! However, IPC is a thing and Intel is ahead in that race. Not by much and that's what makes Ryzen so compelling.

Well, Intel's IPC advantage is less than 10% (Not accounting the thermal headroom that makes Intel ramp up their frequencies sky high), then uses far more power, is considerably slower on multi core performance as their SMT scaling is notably worse (Intel uses dynamic partitions while AMD used static partitions on some areas to minimize thread collision, cache trashing and threads fighting for resources), also runs cooler and is way cheaper. There is no compelling reason to buy any Intel CPU for now unless if your specific workload requires AVX and you can also manage to control the extreme heat generated when using AVX.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
If only CD Projekt Red made motherboards. Loyalty FTW.

So one bad fan on a GPU 4 generations ago, and that makes MSI crap? The rest of your statement is laughable, as their 9xx and 10xx series GPU’s have been consistently high quality and cooling.

Also, GPU’s and motherboards are separate issues. Let’s keep them that way.

I fully agree, cause:

"
When the first SSD's where introduced, everyone knew the sandforce controller of any ssd brand with it, was faster than one with a marvell controller..
But that sandforce controller had many instabillities and could be DOA or dead within 2 months.
At those days, I bought an Crucial ssd with an marvell controller.. however, if you look at the new sandforce controllers now, they are just as reliable.
So an Samsung ssd with a new sandforce controller, could be more of an upgrade, cause of their speeds and they also happen to be reliable now.
"

So you can't judge them over a poor product in the past.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the MSI practices talked about now, I'm fully against it and won't look at any product of them right now.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Well, Intel's IPC advantage is less than 10% (Not accounting the thermal headroom that makes Intel ramp up their frequencies sky high), then uses far more power, is considerably slower on multi core performance as their SMT scaling is notably worse (Intel uses dynamic partitions while AMD used static partitions on some areas to minimize thread collision, cache trashing and threads fighting for resources), also runs cooler and is way cheaper. There is no compelling reason to buy any Intel CPU for now unless if your specific workload requires AVX and you can also manage to control the extreme heat generated when using AVX.
10% is 10%. Higher overclocked clocks by ~25%. SMT efficiency is better on AMD, but most dont even use 8 cores in the first place.

Anyway, there is plenty of reason to get Intel over AMD still. It just depends on use. ;)

System Name Strix-13700K
Processor Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard Asus Strix-A D4
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD
Memory Thermaltake ToughRam 4 x 8GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Western digital Black SN850 1TB - PCIe Gen 4 M.2-2 and Western Digital Blue 1TB SN750 PCIe Gen 3
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG341CQR Ulta-wide 3440x1440p 144Hz and a Samsung 50 inch TV 4K TV
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G5 1000w Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro Mouse
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE MK2 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 = 31270 Multicore test
I see a fair few of you have no idea how business works...I am sure the older gen MSI motherboards will work but not to the potential of the new X5 series and Motherboard manufacturers have to look to making the manufacturing profitable and If they have to wait 4 years + before people actually start upgrading, that business will die...

As importantly, coming out in such a scathing manner before we even have official word is not the right way...Yes do point out that this is something you have been told but wait until you get official word before crucifying them!

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Forget about all that, OC the Intel and you have a whole 'nother use case over Ryzen.

I see a fair few of you have no idea how business works...I am sure the older gen MSI motherboards will work

Not without a bios update they won't.

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
I had enough of MSI when even the fan on the GTX 660 failed and i have seen plenty of people with the same problems on GTX 9xx/1XXX series. Crap quality overall, after that 660 i avoided them for every single component and looks like it was a good thing to do
I've personally never had a single MSI product work well, regardless of which tier of product it was, from the basics to high end, they've all not worked properly or at all.

You guys have to realise that MSI is one of the two major vendors along with ASUS on both motherboard and GPU sides and you don't become a leader by selling crap products !
Obviously sh*** happens with all manufacturers since fails are unavoidable no matter how good products you make but criticizing MSI on GTX 900/1000 series for example is laughable at best because they objectively had the best card/cooler !

We all agree that this is very bad move if true but please don't let your hatred speak for you .

System Name Evo PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Noctua NH15
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3,600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage 1TB WD SN750/512GB Samsung 870 EVO
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27 2K 165Hz
Case Fractal Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Supernova G2 1000
Mouse MSI Vigor GM11
Keyboard MSI Vigor GK30
If only software scaled as good as OCing.... I got massive gains by just increasing my RAM clockspeed to 3,400MHz from 2,933 before the BIOS update.

They were comfortable with intel because intel almost thinks like them with the exception that intel wants you with a new motherboard every new cpu release, intel got so greedy that not even generation to generation cpu releases worked out for them and now msi wants amd to be like intel because amd got the cpu that will finally make them more attractive than intel for the first time in the past 14 years. Good to know, msi is banned from my list.

PS: Lets see how amd will behave as soon as its cpu becomes a success. This new motherboard business practice every intel release got to a point where it was hilarious.

Last edited:
AMD is not a part of the decision at hand. Keep the blame where it belongs.

But they could be a part of the solution. If I was AMD, I would ban a certain board manufacturer from future chip/license supplies if they pull such a dick move. Let them skip a whole generation of chipsets, next time they will think twice.

Offtopic, there are no sane mobo manufacturers left in the consumer segment...

P.S. spare me the whole asrock/asus godliness here, I've seen their BS firsthand too.

Angrybeaver

Msi boards have never been anything special. I will just stick with Asus, gigabyte, and asrock.

Offtopic, there are no sane mobo manufacturers left in the consumer segment...

P.S. spare me the whole asrock/asus godliness here, I've seen their BS firsthand too.
True, no one is perfect. And ASUS recently had a major screwup. However, AsRock is one of the most solid makers. EVGA is another.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Of course it does, that's how raw images work. I can promise you it has room and AT LEAST 20% of it is unused, if not more.
I started to suspect the same after seeing Taichis had the same size of image. On the other hand, my own AM4 board has BIOS image a little over 8MB so it is not universal.

MSI is really tempting me to switch to ASUS....shame as I own a MB, GPU and a mouse and keyboard from them.

You guys have to realise that MSI is one of the two major vendors along with ASUS on both motherboard and GPU sides and you don't become a leader by selling crap products !
Obviously sh*** happens with all manufacturers since fails are unavoidable no matter how good products you make but criticizing MSI on GTX 900/1000 series for example is laughable at best because they objectively had the best card/cooler !

We all agree that this is very bad move if true but please don't let your hatred speak for you .

If it was one or two products, I could understand, but I've dealt with so many MSI products (again, from all tiers, from cheap $50 boards to their highest end products) that were poorly made, poorly put together, or just outright didn't work in the last decade that I no longer recommend or buy their products. I let my experience speak for me, it's not about hatred, fanboyism or anything else, MSI has poor quality control from my experience and my wallet stopped opening for them.

MSI pulling the same stunt Intel did with the 300 series boards is just a huge slap in the face to their customers.

System Name Strix-13700K
Processor Intel i7-13700K
Motherboard Asus Strix-A D4
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite LCD
Memory Thermaltake ToughRam 4 x 8GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Western digital Black SN850 1TB - PCIe Gen 4 M.2-2 and Western Digital Blue 1TB SN750 PCIe Gen 3
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG341CQR Ulta-wide 3440x1440p 144Hz and a Samsung 50 inch TV 4K TV
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G5 1000w Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro Mouse
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE MK2 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 = 31270 Multicore test
If it was one or two products, I could understand, but I've dealt with so many MSI products (again, from all tiers, from cheap $50 boards to their highest end products) that were poorly made, poorly put together, or just outright didn't work in the last decade that I no longer recommend or buy their products. I let my experience speak for me, it's not about hatred, fanboyism or anything else, MSI has poor quality control from my experience and my wallet stopped opening for them.

MSI pulling the same stunt Intel did with the 300 series boards is just a huge slap in the face to their customers.

I have been using MSI GPU's for years and I currently have one of there latest GPU's....never had an issue.

Dexiefy

Knew to avoid MSI after nVidia GPP and them happily bending over alongside Asus. Spoke miles about the companies.
Sure as hell that once I will be on the lookout for MB/GPU (which will be end of this year most likely) I will make sure to never select MSI.
Greedy shits deserve no money.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
All you have to know is AMD will still gladly sell to MSI - because they approve.

System Name The work PC /2700x/5950x
Processor 3900X stock/ 2700x stock/ 5950x 4200 MHz fixed @ 1,056-1,08V
Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS Master X570/2xMSI X470 M7 AC
Cooling Custom WC XSPC RX480, Laing DDC, XSPC Laing DDC Top V3 and EK Velocity/NH15/NH-U12S SE
Memory 32 GB Viper 3600/14 /16 GB Trident Z F4-4000C18D-16GTZSW 3600 /32 GB G Skill Flare CL14 3400
Video Card(s) 2070 Super X MSI/GTX 970 MSI/ GTX 970 MSI
Storage 1 TB SSD+500 GB NVMe / 500 GB SSD/ 500 GB SSD
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2518D/2408WFP
Case Corsair 800D / Lian test bench/NZXT 500
Power Supply AX 850 Titanium/AX 860i/AX 760
Software Dual boot/Win 7 & 10 / Linux / Win 10
Its not just a single fan, you can google it including the newer series and notice how i was not the only one on this planet with a bad msi product. It does show the quality, or lack of, of their products. Might be separate issues but i kept buying gpus and motherboards from other companies ever since and a bios update for new ryzen cpus is already available.
Please stay out off this discussing.