• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer Unveils Predator CG437KP monitor: 43" VA, 4K, 144 Hz, Adaptive Sync, 1000 nits

Yes. You can go on and on and on about how VA isn't suitable for color critical work. It's providing some evidence that you struggle with.

FALD was never a requirement for DisplayHDR certification. But current panels can't reach the required contrast without some form of local dimming.

Err, because they aren't lol! Show me a VA panel that meets the same specs as this for example... or this... or this... they're all IPS. The poor viewing angles of VA alone mean they are inferior choices for serious dedicated colour accurate work. Again, not terrible, but for those at the top of their field and who work in print, absolutely not. What more evidence do you need lol?! VA monitors undeniably can't do what high end IPS ones can, which do EVERYTHING regards colour accuracy (and viewing angles) better! This isn't rocket science. VA has its merits sure, the increased contrast can make colours more punchy, but accuracy never was or will be their strength... and the viewing angles will always be superior with IPS.

I didn't think this panel wouldn't have local dimming, as I'm certain it will, but I don't think it will have FALD. I suspect it may get the same as the Philips, with the 32-zone edge lit local dimming solution. As stated, Acer are claiming HDR-1000 certification already, so really it must have local dimming in some form or another.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Err, because they aren't lol! Show me a VA panel that meets the same specs as this for example... or this... or this... they're all IPS. The poor viewing angles of VA alone mean they are inferior choices for serious dedicated colour accurate work. Again, not terrible, but for those at the top of their field and who work in print, absolutely not. What more evidence do you need lol?! VA monitors undeniably can't do what high end IPS ones can, which do EVERYTHING regards colour accuracy (and viewing angles) better! This isn't rocket science. VA has its merits sure, the increased contrast can make colours more punchy, but accuracy never was or will be their strength... and the viewing angles will always be superior with IPS.
Wth are you smoking, I just gave you links to two monitors that cover the same color space and both provide 178/178 viewing angles. Look at the reviews I have provided and you'll see both VA and IPS can be calibrated with pretty much the same accuracy. You're also changing your tune after initially claiming pros don't use VA because of some imaginary color space limitation (plus, I have yet to see a pro that actually needs to look at their work at 120 degrees or more).

I didn't think this panel wouldn't have local dimming, as I'm certain it will, but I don't think it will have FALD. I suspect it may get the same as the Philips, with the 32-zone edge lit local dimming solution. As stated, Acer are claiming HDR-1000 certification already, so really it must have local dimming in some form or another.
They may claim whatever they want, but they're not certified yet: https://displayhdr.org/certified-products/

Wth are you smoking, I just gave you links to two monitors that cover the same color space and both provide 178/178 viewing angles. Look at the reviews I have provided and you'll see both VA and IPS can be calibrated with pretty much the same accuracy. You're also changing your tune after initially claiming pros don't use VA because of some imaginary color space limitation (plus, I have yet to see a pro that actually needs to look at their work at 120 degrees or more).

They may claim whatever they want, but they're not certified yet: https://displayhdr.org/certified-products/

I've worked with pro designers and photographers on numerous print related projects... these guys (and girls) at the top level use monitors with high 4-figure price tags, because they recognise they are simply the BEST for the task. You don't seem to want to acknowledge the need for such monitors, or that VA is in any way inferior, which is puzzling. Again, the ones you have linked are fine, but they are NOT dedicated colour critical monitors and are hardly the same as the ones I've shown you. If they were, do you HONESTLY think there would even be a market for a £4000 monitor lol??! Who do you THINK is buying a monitor like that? Maybe you should contact Eizo and ask them what THEY'RE smoking, suggest they hire you as their new CEO so you can put VA panels in all their monitors, sell them for a quarter of the price, and ten times as many, sending their stock soaring and earning yourself a front cover spot on Forbes Magazine. Let me know what they say.

Unlikely that VESA would put an unreleased monitor on there when it's only JUST been announced, and also rather daft of Acer to say they've got it certified when they aren't at least extremely confident it will be. But we shall see in due course.

Last edited:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
@atomicus All I have asked you is why is VA unsuitable. You have not provided one reason so far ("I have worked with pros and they all had IPS" is not a reason).

Yes, pros use more expensive stuff. But that's because of integrated calibrators, high quality hardware LUT and better electronics overall. It's not an IPS vs VA thing.

@atomicus All I have asked you is why is VA unsuitable. You have not provided one reason so far ("I have worked with pros and they all had IPS" is not a reason).

Yes, pros use more expensive stuff. But that's because of integrated calibrators, high quality hardware LUT and better electronics overall. It's not an IPS vs VA thing.

I have always been speaking about pros, and in those instances, it absolutely is an IPS vs VA thing... otherwise you'd see these pro level monitors using VA panels, but they don't! Why do you think that is? IPS is more expensive, so why wouldn't they opt for VA if it was suitable? Hint: because it isn't. No PROFESSIONAL level colour critical monitor uses a VA panel... yet you think this is just a mere coincedence lol? :D

Why is VA unsuitable you ask? Because it's a simple fact (backed up by plenty of evidence) that VA has worse viewing angles, worse color production and worse response times. You surely can't be disputing that? VA can never be a true match for a top end IPS panel which can do all of these things better. And that's why the pro level monitors will always go with IPS... it just does a better all round job, and even though they probably could work with a VA panel and make it damn good, why would they settle for second best?

Not all IPS monitors are created equal of course. I'm sure there are junk IPS monitors out there which might be bested by top end VA ones, but that's hardly the point. The fact remains that IPS monitors are used predominantly by those who require critical colour accuracy (certainly in print), and the manufacturers make them exclusively with IPS panels. What makes you think VA is suitable when it is quite evident that the industry itself doesn't??

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I have always been speaking about pros, and in those instances, it absolutely is an IPS vs VA thing... otherwise you'd see these pro level monitors using VA panels, but they don't! Why do you think that is? IPS is more expensive, so why wouldn't they opt for VA if it was suitable? Hint: because it isn't. No PROFESSIONAL level colour critical monitor uses a VA panel... yet you think this is just a mere coincedence lol? :D

Why is VA unsuitable you ask? Because it's a simple fact (backed up by plenty of evidence) that VA has worse viewing angles, worse color production and worse response times. You surely can't be disputing that? VA can never be a true match for a top end IPS panel which can do all of these things better. And that's why the pro level monitors will always go with IPS... it just does a better all round job, and even though they probably could work with a VA panel and make it damn good, why would they settle for second best?

Not all IPS monitors are created equal of course. I'm sure there are junk IPS monitors out there which might be bested by top end VA ones, but that's hardly the point. The fact remains that IPS monitors are used predominantly by those who require critical colour accuracy (certainly in print), and the manufacturers make them exclusively with IPS panels. What makes you think VA is suitable when it is quite evident that the industry itself doesn't??
Oh but I am disputing just that. Because it's not true. VA can do 170+ viewing angles (a favourite argument of yours, despite pro monitors usually having a shroud that limits viewing angles more than the panel tech does). VA can cover the same color space as IPS (I've linked to monitors proving that). Response time are also comparable, but again, once you're under 16ms, I doubt any professional cares.

Oh but I am disputing just that. Because it's not true. VA can do 170+ viewing angles (a favourite argument of yours, despite pro monitors usually having a shroud that limits viewing angles more than the panel tech does). VA can cover the same color space as IPS (I've linked to monitors proving that). Response time are also comparable, but again, once you're under 16ms, I doubt any professional cares.

Why isn't it true? Why does no VA panel do what you claim (outside of having a decent colour space), and more importantly, why is no VA panel being used in a pro level monitor, where IPS is by far and away the preference? Maybe there's some sort of IPS conspiracy. Illuminati perhaps?

You're basically saying you know better than the entire monitor industry... yet have no evidence yourself to support this mighty claim, other than a couple of monitors with similar colour spaces. Which in and of itself doesn't carry as much weight as you seem to think. Panel bit-rate comes in to play... or rather the quality in that respect, which can vary massively, but true-10 bit is a necessity at the top level, especially when working with 12/14-bit content. At the top level, 8-bit+FRC just won't cut it. Also, 3D LUT, calibrators etc... all in-built features in many top end IPS panels, but in no VA panel that I can see. Mmmm... I wonder why? Oh yes, it's that pesky conspiracy, silly me.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Ok, we're speaking different languages. Let's just stop, ok?

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
No idea what you're on about. Facts are facts, simple as that... I didn't realise truth was a language.
Well, I've repeatedly asked you to post some facts and all I've got is "pros don't use VA because they don't use VA".

Well, I've repeatedly asked you to post some facts and all I've got is "pros don't use VA because they don't use VA".

Lol, THAT'S your sole takeway from all I've posted?? Wow. Just WOW! The fact that no monitor manufacturer is even making a pro-level monitor with a VA panel is totally lost on you apparently, and means absolutely nothing with zero significance. On top of the issues that VA absolutely has vs IPS in respect to colour reproduction and viewing angles. That right there, that's all FACTS. I mean, what ARE you looking for exactly? I don't even know what your point is? VA is fine, but it's never going to be capable of what IPS is. How can you possibly dispute this?? I've asked you show to me a VA panel that competes with IPS and you can't. Those two you posted are 8-bit+FRC... a true 10-bit IPS panel beats these.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Posting the same crap over and over doesn't make it true. Show me some links showing IPS can do what VA can't or just let it rest.

Posting the same crap over and over doesn't make it true. Show me some links showing IPS can do what VA can't or just let it rest.

Err, no, that's not how it works... the burden of proof now resides with you. I have provided you with more than enough evidence and information which CLEARLY indicates that IPS is superior to VA for this purpose, not least because it is the only panel technology used in monitors that have this high end functionality (a fact you seem to be stubbornly ignoring). You want to believe otherwise, yet you have provided no evidence yourself to support that claim, aside from two monitors which clearly fall short of the requirements that a professional would require, being only 8-bit+FRC. The fact you're calling all of this "crap" is really quite bizarre, especially as you haven't even tried to refute anything I've said. All available evidence points towards IPS being more capable than VA for top level colour critical work. Not one single thing suggests otherwise, the technological facts and evidence that are well known about IPS and VA support this, and nothing you've provided contradicts that. All available evidence that I have given points to this conclusion, yet you ignore it, call it crap and want more lol! :kookoo:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
What do you think "evidence" means?

What do you think "evidence" means?

Interesting question as you don't seem to know. Let's look at the actual definition...

"The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid."

You are suggesting that the below doesn't meet that definition regards the proposition that IPS is more capable than VA?
1) Superior colour reproduction (countless articles and evidentiary research to support this, widely acknowledged and accepted by those in the know)
2) Superior viewing angles (not remotely open for debate)
3) Every high-end colour critical monitor utilising IPS panel technology (clearly indicative of something about the qualities that IPS possesses)
4) Every bit of advice pertaining to colour critical work written by industry/tech professionals recommending IPS for this use-case
5) No VA panel on the market with same high-end specs as those IPS monitors targeted at professionals for colour critical work

Evidence for VA being as capable of what IPS can do (as you claim):

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Interesting question as you don't seem to know. Let's look at the actual definition...

"The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid."

You are suggesting that the below doesn't meet that definition regards the proposition that IPS is more capable than VA?
1) Superior colour reproduction (countless articles and evidentiary research to support this, widely acknowledged and accepted by those in the know)
Link a couple, please.
2) Superior viewing angles (not remotely open for debate)
Again, link or this is just your opinion.

I'm not going to bother with the rest.

Link a couple, please.

Again, link or this is just your opinion.

I'm not going to bother with the rest.

No of course you won't bother with the rest, because that's beyond obvious lol! Still, you want me to do a Google search and provide you with links that you and anyone else can find in 10 seconds. You are digging a hole and making a fool of yourself. At this point, you'd be as well to ask me to prove the earth is round! Why are you asking for evidence of known things?? Do you seriously doubt what I've said? This has become quite hilarious. But OK, I'll humour you... I do actually have a few seconds to spare, unlike you it seems...

www.eizoglobal.com/library/basics/difference_in_image_quality/index.html
www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1890-panel-comparison-tn-ips-pls-va-crt
4k.com/va-display-panels-vs-ips-display-panels-in-4k-hdr-tvs-what-you-need-to-know-19275-2/

This is just a sample of course. I'll await your evidentiary links demonstrating that VA doesn't have worse viewing angles and colour reproduction than IPS. That should be interesting.

Oh, and if you don't want to read anything, here's a pretty picture...

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
And again, nothing about color reproduction.
Viewing angles seem to be a bit better for IPS (I wasn't aware of that), but here's what Eizo says about that: "The display on a VA panel. Compared with the IPS panel the screen is a little whitish and the chromaticity has slipped, but it is a satisfactory viewing angle for actual use"
Plus, I want my 30 minutes of replying to you back.

And again, nothing about color reproduction.
Viewing angles seem to be a bit better for IPS (I wasn't aware of that), but here's what Eizo says about that: "The display on a VA panel. Compared with the IPS panel the screen is a little whitish and the chromaticity has slipped, but it is a satisfactory viewing angle for actual use"
Plus, I want my 30 minutes of replying to you back.

So what if it's "satisfactory" (whatever that means, which is always going to be subjective), the point is that viewing angles are obviously superior with IPS, despite your assertion this was just my "opinion." Furthermore, it should be obvious from that above image alone that viewing angles are DIRECTLY linked to colour reproduction and how that colour is seen across the entirety of the screen. If you've ever sat close in front of a TV/monitor and looked at a solid colour, a VA panel will show colour/gamma shift from top to bottom, whereas IPS does not (or far less anyway). Again, if you don't understand the significance of this in a professional working sense and how it will impact colour, then we have a bigger problem.

The bottom line is that IPS offers true colour accuracy on par with or better than equivalent VA panels, but then surpasses it by offering better viewing angles and the fact there are no equivalent 10/12-bit VA panels being made anyway, which gives IPS the clear advantage. Why are no equivalent VA panels being made? I have no idea. Maybe they tried and it didn't work, maybe it was too costly. But ultimately, why would they need to when IPS is already doing such a great job?

Wherever you look for advice on this matter, IPS is ALWAYS indicated as the choice for colour critical work. Now, you may not consider this 'evidence', but it's indicative of something, and unless you DO believe there is a conspiracy against VA, and when you factor the actual undeniable evidence about viewing angles and the lack of 10/12-bit VA panels in monitors, then I am really not sure what footing you think you're on here?? It wouldn't even be fair to say you're on thin ice because you've literally presented nothing to support your assertion that VA is equal to IPS... instead, it's like you've just thrown out the challenge to be proven wrong, for reasons I cannot comprehend, with not even a shred of evidence to kick start a debate.

Last edited:
System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Can't wait until these bad boys are £350 or so. Roll on 2025.

yeah and maybe by that time we will have affordable hardware to run it at proper settings as well....

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I just hope the proximity sensor is IR or some other tech, the visible red ones on my BenQ BL3200 make the feature unusable as the lights flash constantly when enabled which is way too distracting.

I wonder when it will appear, the price is not "outrageous" compared to some on the market at the moment with an inferior spec.

This is now at the top of my list, although a 32 - 40" would be better for the desk.

It depends on how well the dimming is done (VESA is known for handing the DisplayHDR badge to some truly questionable implementations). And the uniformity tends to be all over the place with monitors this big.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Gonna need a 2180Ti to drive this panel.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
You could play FarCry on it. You know, the first one :p

i loved far cry 1. It was nuts for me playing with a Radeon 9700Pro.

I am waiting for good 32’’ 4K 100Hz or 120Hz monitor.

At that price you can buy a 55" LG 4K OLED 2019 model with 120hz adaptive/gsync/freesync support with true HDR...

I know that depends on your needs and desk space but these gaming monitors have some ridiculous pricing when you take a step back.