• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Issues Clarification on Next-Gen AMD CPU Support on 300-series Motherboards

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Marketing lies for the nth time on our faces, nobody bats an eye.
A news site exaggerates a bit, while still saying the truth with the official information handled, everybody losses their minds.

Remember people that the official word once said that Afghanistan had WMDs, and that a small plane hit one of the towers. If journalism didn't push, we would know nothing, Jon Snow.

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
Your opinion, not supported by the events that have transpired. Wait for it though...

No you are confusing opinions with facts ! MSI officially confirmed support for 300 series ( sure maybe not all of them but at least some for sure wich has nothing to do with ''greedy MSI won't support 300 series at all '' ) so '' my opinion '' becomes a fact ! The only opinion not supported by the events is yours actually !

Except that MSI confirmed the statement made by the tech support rep and gave official input on the subject.

Yes and what was the official input they gave ?

''It has come to our attention that MSI Customer Support has regrettably misinformed an MSI customer with regards to potential support for next-gen AMD CPUs ....... we are still performing extensive testing on our existing lineup of 300- and 400-series AM4 motherboards to verify potential compatibility for the next-gen AMD Ryzen CPUs. To be clear: Our intention is to offer maximum compatibility for as many MSI products as possible.

You're assuming they didn't. You're also assuming that MSI didn't ignore them. Are you expecting TPU to share all is correspondence to prove up? Never gonna happen.

Im assuming nothing ! Im not expecting TPU to share all is correspondace , what im expecting on the other hand is a simple disclaimer stating '' we contacted MSI for a comment but we have been ignored up to this date '' wich is standard practice in the industry . Did you saw such a disclaimer ? I didn't so yeah ...... maybe you are assuming they did ?

That is the single most intellectually bereft statement I've read this year, and there's been some whoppers so far.

Well im glad you came to realise that the logic you are using is intellectually bereft cause that statement sums up perfectly this logic !

So effectively you've just proven you do not understand the sequence and circumstances of events and thus the big picture.

You make it clear that im loosing my time here so this is where this discussion ends for me ......

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

I don't really understand why so many people have got their panties in a bunch about this. Unless it affects you personally laugh it off. Mistakes may or may not have been made, but have been rectified. Lets all just have a beer, spliff or coffee whatever your poison is and chill out with a nice game of something.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
So big corporations and states should be treated as innocent until proven guilty. Got it.

Yes, everybody and every 'thing' is innocent until proven guilty. No matter how rich or how poor.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
In a court of law. In the court of public opinion, things can be and often are a bit different.

Yup, you nailed it. Facts not needed only opinion. See the original article.

Yup, you nailed it. Facts not needed only opinion. See the original article.
Nice retort. There are but a few problems with your conclusion;

Fact 1. MSI tech support made the statement to a customer that the next gen of Ryzen CPU's would not be supported on certain boards that are, by design, compatible.
Fact 2. This information was made public through a channel not controlled by TPU.
Fact 3. Btarunr wrote an article about the information, blasting MSI for it's seemingly foolish choice.
Fact 4. MSI makes a statement confirming that the tech support rep had made the statements reported.
Fact 5. MSI also stated that it's still researching compatibility of it's motherboards.

We don't need a court of law to understand those facts.

System Name Old Old Old.
Processor AMD X2 5200+ 2.6Ghz @5665+ 2.83GHz 1.4v
Motherboard ASUS M2NPV-VM
Memory Corsair XMS2 PC6400 Dual channel 1GBx2 CL5-5-5-15-20 @ 944MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB core@857MHz ram@1179MHz GDDR4
Storage alot of 'em
Display(s) ASUS 23" VC239H 1920x1080 IPS 5ms
Audio Device(s) Diamond 5.1
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400w dual rail
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Logitech G11
Put your "clarification " at the top of the story please. ffs, you like to waste peoples time don't ya?

System Name Old Old Old.
Processor AMD X2 5200+ 2.6Ghz @5665+ 2.83GHz 1.4v
Motherboard ASUS M2NPV-VM
Memory Corsair XMS2 PC6400 Dual channel 1GBx2 CL5-5-5-15-20 @ 944MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB core@857MHz ram@1179MHz GDDR4
Storage alot of 'em
Display(s) ASUS 23" VC239H 1920x1080 IPS 5ms
Audio Device(s) Diamond 5.1
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400w dual rail
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Logitech G11
hey, when you have something constructive to say, say it, until then, put a cork in it.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
You can't read over 100 words?

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
I made an account just to comment on this. But you are a terrible person and should be shameful.

As someone who's worked in retail/CSR/service positions, people like you are literally the worse. You are the type that will jump down on the lowest paying employee's throat (MSI rep in this case) the second something doesn't get your way. You are literally the "Can I speak with your manager type." This is regardless of how right you are or how much control the employee have.

Also, you are "reporting" a click-bait headline simply based one one sentence some tier 1 support said and you're taking it as absolute fact. Imagine I clean the toilet at Apple headquarters and told you Steve Jobs is secretly alive in the basement powering iCloud with his life force. You're gonna have a field day on TPU's front page with that too? Learn to have some journalistic integrity and double check your sources for future press releases. YOU being the only place where this blew up should be a telling to you. At this point, you are so far up your own arse you probably won't realize it.

None of the other forums have published this yet and that's probably due to the lack of real sources. (Glancing at Tweaktown, LTT, JayzTwoCents, and Gamernexus confirms that)

Yes clearly I am the asshole for expecting customer service to provide accurate information, and just to be clear I'm not blaming the CSR in the email I'm blaming MSI for not training their CSR's properly.
When you work in customer support your job is to give accurate factual information to the customers questions, if you dont know the answer to the question you dont just make something up.
I have worked in customer support and one of the first things I was told was to make sure the information you give to the customer is accurate to prevent shitstorms like we see here.
The correct response from this CSR should have been "I currently do not have any information pertaining to the support of the Ryzen 3000 series on 300 series motherboards" or even a simple "I dont know"

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Somehow a small screwup is the fault of the fake news, and if you complain about the mistake you are literally a horrible human being, as someone here put it. Good god...
I am just happy that my motherboard at the very least supports the next APUs.

We don't need a court of law to understand those facts.
Your point missing abilities are impressive.

His point wasn't whether we need a court of law at all, it was that people tend to rush to judgement and grab their pitchforks too quickly, even before they have the facts. And while "the court of public opinion" is not the same as an actual court (of which I am well aware), one would assume that supposedly intelligent people in a supposedly civilized society/community would manage to be at least a bit level-headed and prudent so that a "court of public opinion" doesn't turn into a witch hunt.

Your point missing abilities are impressive.
Irony
His point wasn't whether we need a court of law at all, it was that people tend to rush to judgement and grab their pitchforks too quickly, even before they have the facts. And while "the court of public opinion" is not the same as an actual court (of which I am well aware), one would assume that supposedly intelligent people in a supposedly civilized society/community would manage to be at least a bit level-headed and prudent so that a "court of public opinion" doesn't turn into a witch hunt.
In a perfect world companies could be counted upon to behave with integrity and such assumptions would be a safe bet. However, this isn't a perfect world and companies regularly behave in shady, corrupt ways that make them look like greedy, uncivilized hooligans.

So the fact is, you and many others in this thread have missed the point because you have failed, colossally, to see the big picture. Good luck with that...

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Hey, I saw a reddit post by some guy that says lexluthermiester's PC shop is going to start changing all motherboards to cheap Chinese knockoffs and charge the client as if it was a real motherboard. Quick grab the pitchforks and torches. It's a company so their coffers must be full and they must lie and always cheat consumers. It must be true it was on reddit.

What happened in the course of the editorial and the resulting clarification is a dangerous path to take.

Hey, I saw a reddit post by some guy that says lexluthermiester's PC shop is going to start changing all motherboards to cheap Chinese knockoffs and charge the client as if it was a real motherboard.
Joke's on you, we've been using motherboards from AliExpress for some time. They have been quite reliable(read not one defect out about 200 purchased) and good performers for budget builds. For clients that need sub-$250 upgrade path or a sub-$700 complete system puchase they are a great value.
Quick grab the pitchforks and torches. It's a company so their coffers must be full and they must lie and always cheat consumers. It must be true it was on reddit.
You must think that was clever. It wasn't.
What happened in the course of the editorial and the resulting clarification is a dangerous path to take.
What happened was a potentially serious problem. TPU and others took EXACTLY the correct action to express to MSI(and the rest of the industry) what would NOT be tolerated. You're arguing the wrong side of the fence. Pull your head out of the sand(or your backside, whatever) and get with the program.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
What happened was a potentially serious problem. TPU and others took EXACTLY the correct action to express to MSI(and the rest of the industry) what would NOT be tolerated. You're arguing the wrong side of the fence. Pull your head out of the sand(or your backside, whatever) and get with the program.

That's right, I forgot that you are never wrong and don't care about facts. I'll bow out because clearly no one cares about the world running on assumptions. Or at least care marking a post as an editorial when there is nothing but baseless assumptions to go off.

Have fun with your substandard journalism.

D

Deleted member 24505

That's right, I forgot that you are never wrong and don't care about facts. I'll bow out because clearly no one cares about the world running on assumptions. Or at least care marking a post as an editorial when there is nothing but baseless assumptions to go off.

buh bye

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Funny how companies can do whatever they want, but you are not allowed to criticize them. Sounds like medieval Europe and the church.

That's right, I forgot that you are never wrong and don't care about facts.
First, I'm not the one making the accusations. Second, let's review;
Fact 1. MSI tech support made the statement to a customer that the next gen of Ryzen CPU's would not be supported on certain boards that are, by design, compatible.
Fact 2. This information was made public through a channel not controlled by TPU.
Fact 3. Btarunr wrote an article about the information, blasting MSI for it's seemingly foolish choice.
Fact 4. MSI makes a statement confirming that the tech support rep had made the statements reported.
Fact 5. MSI also stated that it's still researching compatibility of it's motherboards.
Are you disputing these things?
I'll bow out because clearly no one cares about the world running on assumptions. Or at least care marking a post as an editorial when there is nothing but baseless assumptions to go off.
No, the problem is you(and others) not accepting facts, one of which is listed above and proven below; MSI admitting the mistake made by/through their tech support rep. Instead of seeing the facts as they are, you're letting your pride react. Good luck with that.
Alrighty then.

And there's this(Thank you @Adnel Ortiz );
https://www.msi.com/news/detail/4c78f7b58f4de12ed2cab9bcb9ec0ba0

Last edited:

Carminus

Yes clearly I am the asshole for expecting customer service to provide accurate information, and just to be clear I'm not blaming the CSR in the email I'm blaming MSI for not training their CSR's properly.
When you work in customer support your job is to give accurate factual information to the customers questions, if you dont know the answer to the question you dont just make something up.
I have worked in customer support and one of the first things I was told was to make sure the information you give to the customer is accurate to prevent shitstorms like we see here.
The correct response from this CSR should have been "I currently do not have any information pertaining to the support of the Ryzen 3000 series on 300 series motherboards" or even a simple "I dont know"

I have been in the IT field for over 20 years, the words "I don't know" should never be spoken. That is the last thing a customer or your boss wants to hear, it is better to say I will have the info/answer your looking for shortly or I will research that question for you.

I would accept "I currently do not have any information pertaining to the support of the Ryzen 3000 series on 300 series motherboards" with the added "I will further research that information and once it becomes available you will be forwarded the info" over "I dont know" any day of the week.

It was ingrained in me by my first boss who told me never...never say "I do not know" to a customer.

I have been in the IT field for over 20 years, the words "I don't know" should never be spoken. That is the last thing a customer or your boss wants to hear, it is better to say I will have the info/answer your looking for shortly or I will research that question for you.
Complete Effing Rubbish! "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer. When I call tech support, I absolutely loath hearing the canned statements like the ones you iterated. I would rather the rep tell me flat out that they don't know, or that there isn't a solution for the problem at hand. In this case, telling a customer that MSI doesn't have information about the compatibility of futures CPU's is perfectly acceptable as the
CPU's aren't even announced yet let alone released.
It was ingrained in me by my first boss who told me never...never say "I do not know" to a customer.
That boss was a pretentious moron.

Carminus

Complete Effing Rubbish! "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer. When I call tech support, I absolutely loath hearing the canned statements like the ones you iterated. I would rather the rep tell me flat out that they don't know, or that there isn't a solution for the problem at hand. In this case, telling a customer that MSI doesn't have information about the compatibility of futures CPU's is perfectly acceptable as the
CPU's aren't even announced yet let alone released.

That boss was a pretentious moron.

Put down the red bull and take a deep breath. What YOU find as and acceptable answer (in your case a non-answer) others may not like me. It shows motivation that the CS will work to find an answer to your questions rather than the millennial way of "I don't know" which equates "I am too lazy and don't care". Do I expect everyone to have answers, of course not. At least show me that your attempting to find one.