• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Reports Second Quarter Results: Services Revenues Reach $11.5 Billion

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2019 second quarter ended March 30, 2019. The Company posted quarterly revenue of $58 billion, a decline of 5 percent from the year-ago quarter, and quarterly earnings per diluted share of $2.46, down 10 percent. International sales accounted for 61 percent of the quarter's revenue.

"Our March quarter results show the continued strength of our installed base of over 1.4 billion active devices, as we set an all-time record for Services, and the strong momentum of our Wearables, Home and Accessories category, which set a new March quarter record," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We delivered our strongest iPad growth in six years, and we are as excited as ever about our pipeline of innovative hardware, software and services. We're looking forward to sharing more with developers and customers at Apple's 30th annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June."

"We generated operating cash flow of $11.2 billion in the March quarter and continued to make significant investments in all areas of our business," said Luca Maestri, Apple's CFO. "We also returned over $27 billion to shareholders through share repurchases and dividends. Given our confidence in Apple's future and the value we see in our stock, our Board has authorized an additional $75 billion for share repurchases. We are also raising our quarterly dividend for the seventh time in less than seven years."

Reflecting the approved increase, Apple's board of directors has declared a cash dividend of $0.77 per share of the Company's common stock, an increase of 5 percent. The dividend is payable on May 16, 2019 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on May 13, 2019.

The management team and the Board will continue to review each element of the capital return program regularly and plan to provide an update on the program on an annual basis.

Apple is providing the following guidance for its fiscal 2019 third quarter:
  • revenue between $52.5 billion and $54.5 billion
  • gross margin between 37 percent and 38 percent
  • operating expenses between $8.7 billion and $8.8 billion
  • other income/(expense) of $250 million
  • tax rate of approximately 16.5 percent

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Not that hard when you sell $300 phones for $1000.

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
that alot of money by selling overpriced junk with glorified marketing
I hope that greedy CEO can choke on that money

D

Deleted member 24505

Down 5% i'm sure there'll be tears........................................not

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
It's not Apple fault, people had made their "choice" and bought apple products and they had money for it.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
From BBC news: "iphone sales drop sharply".
That somehow dind't make it to TPU.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
You pay a lot more than hardware's cost for a phone these days, your identity and very soul, for example.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
From BBC news: "iphone sales drop sharply".
That somehow dind't make it to TPU.

It's a different way of reporting the same thing:
"Number of iPhones sold dropped sharply, but average cost of each iPhone was much higher."

In other words, the wealthy people are spending more on each iPhone than ever before, but Apple are selling fewer phones to the mass market and losing market share. Hypothetically, if markup on iPhones has doubled, they're not even selling half as many as before, because that would break even and they haven't achieved that, they're 5% short of that.

Tim cook ought to be worried when the market is still growing at a huge rate yet apple can't even sell as many units as previous quarters/years when the market was smaller. Selling more profitable phones will fail catastrophically as a business model at some point because the rich idiot market gets smaller the more overpriced the status-symbol phones become. At some point, even wealthy people will question why they need to spend $5000 on a phone when the latest Pixel/Galaxy is superior for 1/8th the cost, with unique/innovative new things that Apple simply isn't offering.

Also, as the number of actual iPhone users shrinks, app developers without the resources to publish to both platforms will choose the one with 90%+ of the global user market. This will accelerate the rate at which other developers jump ship until eventually Android has the best apps first, more apps than Apple, and the iOS ecosystem becomes a second-rate market that makes selling $5000 iPhone XVII's an impossible proposition.

Last edited:
Tim cook ought to be worried when the market is still growing at a huge rate when he can't actually sell as many units as previous quarters/years.
Smartphone market is contracting since late 2017/early 2018 IIRC, shipments are down globally especially in saturated markets like US or even China.

Besides investors, I'm curious if anyone even really cares about apple's or any other company's financial reporting on a hardware news and reviews site. must be a slow news day.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Besides investors, I'm curious if anyone even really cares about apple's or any other company's financial reporting on a hardware news and reviews site. must be a slow news day.

I'm still waiting for the Intel 5g modem fiasco article. Wait, I missed it? Lol
Must've been a lot of fluff around it.

I want a list of every idiot buying music from apple. It would be better if pirated.

Last edited:
Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)

You've been a user here long enough to know that financial reports from the big tech companies have historically been reported here. It's important to us and if it doesn't interest you, just move on.

Processor i5 750 4.2ghz 1.4V
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 2X2G Gskill @2140 8-11-8-28-1T
Video Card(s) 2xGainward Phantom3 570@860/4200
Storage 2xWD 500G AAKS Raid0 + 2XWD 1T Green in Raid0
Display(s) 24" HP w2408h+23" HP w2338h
Case SilverStone Raven2E-B
Audio Device(s) onboard for now
Power Supply Antec 1000W Truepower quattro
Software Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Down 5% today down 50% next year. *hooray*

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

It's all related. For me it helps to fill in the "why ?" is a company doing the things they are. For example I'm sure you've seen it posted thousands of times over the past 10 years as to why AMD doesn't compete better with Intel on CPUs and compete better with Nvidia on GPUs at the same time. Looking at the financials answers that question to a large degree.

I'm sure it's frustrating for some to see AMD finally doing so well competing on the CPU side with Ryzen but they are doing it at the cost of letting their GPU business stagnate somewhat (as far as efficiency).

Nevertheless it was a smart business decision by Lisa Su. The financials bear that out. Back when they were more focused on their GPU business and letting their CPU business stagnate somewhat they were losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year even with all 3 console contracts. Now that they've been focused more on their CPU business for the last few years they are posting profits.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's all related. For me it helps to fill in the "why ?" is a company doing the things they are. For example I'm sure you've seen it posted thousands of times over the past 10 years as to why AMD doesn't compete better with Intel on CPUs and compete better with Nvidia on GPUs at the same time. Looking at the financials answers that question to a large degree.

I'm sure it's frustrating for some to see AMD finally doing so well competing on the CPU side with Ryzen but they are doing it at the cost of letting their GPU business stagnate somewhat (as far as efficiency).

Nevertheless it was a smart business decision by Lisa Su. The financials bear that out. Back when they were more focused on their GPU business and letting their CPU business stagnate somewhat they were losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year even with all 3 console contracts. Now that they've been focused more on their CPU business for the last few years they are posting profits.

For Apple, I think a lot is down to them becoming 'more normal' as a brand and that means they have to compete more actively on actual product features.

You already see it with their phones. Hardware wise they've made some serious jumps forward up to and including their very own CPU that is pretty fast. Apple phones used be second rate hardware mostly. They're also offering a range of models now. They've dropped many of the rigid design philosophies Jobs was so serious about.

Meanwhile, there is a core of Apple fans that happily tags along for the ride and accepts those changes because they don't know any better anyway. But that number of fans has dwindled, for sure. An Iphone nowadays is not the simple choice for many as it used to be.

There is also the matter of price and the stagnation of development in phones. Prices have soared to incredible heights, but even a midrange phone is more than decent nowadays and remains useful for much longer than it used to. That mid range is not where Apple shines or wants to be. This is a self fulfilling prophecy that we can see unfold right now. They're fast becoming more exclusive again, there is just no real merit behind it anymore (if there ever was beyond the first 3 Iphone versions).

IMHO its about damn time, but Android also isn't really ideal; in that sense Apple still has some USPs for privacy.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
You pay a lot more than hardware's cost for a phone these days, your identity and very soul, for example.

I avois that where possible. LineageOS and Gentoo help me.

Apple phones used be second rate hardware mostly.
Probably true at QC peak, since then Apple has consistently been the best ARM chipmaker. In fact their Ax flagship from last year beats the nearest competitor this year in ST & many MT tests, hands down. You could argue though that you pay egregiously more for that performance, but it's also true everywhere else - cars, CPU, GPU et al - where even the last 1% could fetch a premium of 100% in terms of cost for the end user.
Meanwhile, there is a core of Apple fans that happily tags along for the ride and accepts those changes because they don't know any better anyway. But that number of fans has dwindled, for sure. An Iphone nowadays is not the simple choice for many as it used to be.
Kinda of a double edged sword that, the likes of OPPO, Vivo even OnePlus are now charging a major premium for many of their mid range phones while Huawei is nearly as expensive as Samsung in lots of places. The Chinese phone makers are beating the top 2 in terms of market share & profitability, by being "premium" in the mid range ~ their biggest selling point's usually (selfie) camera!

Last edited: