• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Marvell to Acquire AQuantia for Approximately $452 Million

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Marvell Technology Group Ltd., a leader in infrastructure semiconductor solutions, and Aquantia, Corp., a leader in Multi-Gig Ethernet connectivity, today announced a definitive agreement, approved by the boards of directors of both companies, under which Marvell will acquire all outstanding shares of Aquantia common stock in exchange for consideration of $13.25 per share in cash.

The acquisition of Aquantia complements Marvell's portfolio of copper and optical physical layer product offerings and extends its position in the Multi-Gig 2.5G/5G/10G Ethernet segments. In particular, Aquantia's innovative Multi-gig automotive PHYs, coupled with Marvell's industry-leading gigabit PHY and secure switch products, creates the broadest and most advanced range of high-speed in-car networking solutions in the world. This unique combination accelerates Marvell's vision for the future of automotive networking with speeds necessary to enable level 4 and 5 autonomous driving.

As the automotive industry increasingly adopts Ethernet in-vehicle networks for mainstream models, the number of related ports is expected to grow dramatically at a 62% annualized growth trajectory, from 53 million in 2018 to 367 million by 2022.

"Our acquisition of Aquantia will fuel Marvell's leadership in the transformation of the in-car network to high-speed Ethernet over the next decade," said Matt Murphy, president and CEO of Marvell. "At the same time, Aquantia extends our reach in the rapidly emerging Multi-Gig segment of network infrastructure and creates a leading end-to-end Ethernet connectivity portfolio."

"Marvell and Aquantia share a vision where the network - whether in an autonomous vehicle, an enterprise application or in cloud infrastructure - can seamlessly power the data economy," said Faraj Aalaei, chairman and CEO of Aquantia. "This is a fantastic opportunity as our customers will benefit from Marvell's global scale and expanding footprint in Multi-Gig network applications."

The transaction is expected to be immediately accretive to Marvell's non-GAAP earnings per share and generate significant annual run-rate synergies of $40 million to be realized within 12 months after the transaction closes.

Transaction Structure and Terms
Under the terms of the definitive agreement, Marvell will pay Aquantia's stockholders $13.25 per share in cash. This represents approximately $452 million in transaction value after adjusting for net cash on Aquantia's balance sheet. Marvell intends to finance the transaction with cash on hand and revolver borrowings. The transaction is not subject to any financing condition and is expected to close by the end of CY2019, subject to regulatory approval as well as other customary closing conditions, including the adoption by Aquantia's stockholders of the merger agreement.

In connection with the execution of the definitive agreement, certain stockholders of Aquantia, together holding approximately 17 percent of the outstanding shares of common stock of Aquantia, have agreed to vote their shares in favor of the transaction under a voting and support agreement.

Marvell Preliminary First Fiscal Quarter 2020 Results
Based on preliminary financial information, Marvell expects its first quarter revenue to be in the range of $650 million+/- 3%, the same range as guided on March 7, 2019. Further information regarding first fiscal quarter results will be released on May 30 at 1:45 p.m. Pacific Time. This update is an estimate, based on information available to management as of the date of this release, and may be subject to further changes upon completion of Marvell'sstandard quarter closing procedures. This update does not present all necessary information for an understanding of Marvell's financial condition as of May 4, 2019, or its results of operations for the quarter ended May 4, 2019.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Had a Marvell powered tablet. It's the same design used by the Intel processors on the old BlackBerrys (Intel sold it to them). They're sh#t.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Dammit. Why does every company have to get eaten up / merged... AQuantia was putting out really good, cheaper 2.5G/5G/10G NICs. Now I'm sure all their IP / products will get gouged.

You mean those over priced cards they peddled to consumers? Why not buy the $35 mellonox SFP+ 10g fiber cards with more driver tuning? Or the intel or Broadcom, Chelsio? Used they are much cheaper and data center grade. Fiber doesn’t tickle your fancy? You can get them all in rj45 equivalents.

Sorry no Aquantia was neither cheap or good. Aquantia was a predatory consumer company that was the “razor” of the consumer networking world.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
This is indeed crap news. Hopefully they don't double the price for the hell of it.
It seems Marvell is mostly interested in their in-car tech, so maybe they'll even stop the production of the other parts.
That would suck big time.

Aquantia also have excellent support, based on my own experience with them and having issues with my cards. They got a new firmware put together in a couple of weeks time and they've been updating their drivers regularly to improve their products. Not expecting that from Marvell, as they're way too big of a corporation to care.

On top of that, it means less competition, which is never a good thing.

You mean those over priced cards they peddled to consumers? Why not buy the $35 mellonox SFP+ 10g fiber cards with more driver tuning? Or the intel or Broadcom, Chelsio? Used they are much cheaper and data center grade. Fiber doesn’t tickle your fancy? You can get them all in rj45 equivalents.

Sorry no Aquantia was neither cheap or good. Aquantia was a predatory consumer company that was the “razor” of the consumer networking world.

Please, you're comparing fibre with copper? I simply wouldn't want fibre, as it's a hassle to deal with and it requires a noisy enterprise grade switch. It never was and never will be intended for consumers. And stop comparing used to new, that's never a fair comparison.
You're entitled to your opinion, but you clearly have zero experience of Aquantia's products.
I also think that as a staff member here, you should have more sense than calling companies names.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
They have RJ45 equivalents like I stated. Maybe you didnt read. Also missed where I called anything a "name, not sure what being a staff member would have to do with it anyway. As for experience with the products I actually do as unfortunate as it turned out!

Glad you had a better experience. Try not to twist peoples words though, your not that good at it.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
They have RJ45 equivalents like I stated. Maybe you didnt read. Also missed where I called anything a "name, not sure what being a staff member would have to do with it anyway. As for experience with the products I actually do as unfortunate as it turned out!

Glad you had a better experience. Try not to twist peoples words though, your not that good at it.

I didn't twist anything, you call Aquantia "a predatory consumer company" which imho is undue name calling. Sure, their products were a bit flaky initially, no doubt about it, but they've fixed those issues, just as any responsible company would.

And again, how is comparing second hand to new a fair comparison? I think you should buy a second hand car, as it's better value than a new car and screw your opinion.

I wonder if faster than 1gbps network was delayed so much on consumer level due to IP ?

Because I remember buying my first gigabit NICs way back in 2005(?) or so?

14 years later still using gigabit !!
That is definitely not normal, 2.5, 5 or 10gbps should have been commodified many, many years ago and be present an all motherboards by now.
HDD's have increased capacity 10-20 times in 14 years, SSDs appeared and data speeds increased from under 50MB/s to over 3000MB/s... yet we're still using the same network speeds like back then.

Something must have slowed the development and introduction... and it's not technology that's for sure !

My guess is that Marvell had enough of it and did ^THAT. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years time all motherboards everywhere will have by default integrated 10gpbs "Marvell" chips

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I wonder if faster than 1gbps network was delayed so much on consumer level due to IP ?

Because I remember buying my first gigabit NICs way back in 2005(?) or so?

14 years later still using gigabit !!
That is definitely not normal, 2.5, 5 or 10gbps should have been commodified many, many years ago and be present an all motherboards by now.
HDD's have increased capacity 10-20 times in 14 years, SSDs appeared and data speeds increased from under 50MB/s to over 3000MB/s... yet we're still using the same network speeds like back then.

Something must have slowed the development and introduction... and it's not technology that's for sure !

My guess is that Marvell had enough of it and did ^THAT. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years time all motherboards everywhere will have by default integrated 10gpbs "Marvell" chips

Gigabit Ethernet was standardised and ratified in 1999. The first 10Gbps standard three years later and 10 Base-T in 2006. 2.5 & 5Gbps are only a couple of years old, as they were ratified in 2016.

However, the issue was/is that it's costly to make the hardware. With IC production nodes having shrunk significantly since then, we've gotten chips that can be produced at a reasonable cost and that no longer need active cooling. Until that happened, it was never going to be a consumer technology.

Marvell has been making 10Gbps products for years, they've simply not targeted consumers. In fact, most of the affordable and prosumer targeted 10Gbps and multi gig switches have Marvell hardware in them.

Last edited:
Tbh even 10gbps starts to feel slow these days, when a single M.2 SSD is capable of pushing data 3+ times that fast.
But I would take it ! Definitely beats having the network 30 times slower than the storage !

Bring it Marvell already... can't wait.