• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Plans to Release PowerToys for Windows 10

Processor Intel core i5 4590s
Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cooling Evercool EC115A 915SP Cpu cooler,Coolermaster [200mm (front and top)+140mm rear]
Memory Corsair 16GB(4x4) ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9(Ver8.16)(XMP)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage Western Digital WDC WD2001FAS 2TB Black, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron L177WSB
Case Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) Creative A550 Speakers 5.1 channel
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex 2 Gold 650W SF-650F14EG
Mouse PLNK M-740 Optical Mouse
Keyboard ibuypower GKB100 Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Sp1 64 bit
Windows 7 did not require "power tools" to aid functionality but 10 is littered with all manner of workarounds for it to be tolerably competent in usability from users, third parties and now m$ too...its sad

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
You're still referring to settings, if you type control panel into start bam there it is like magic, you can do this every time or take another 2 mouse clicks to pin it somewhere you'd like, it's not rocket science, come on man.

Have you try windows 7 ? there is no stupid "Windows Setting".
Have you try changing windows firewall settings than change the "Security setting in Windows Setting" and see it just hangs there and CTD ?

You should have ONE place to access all the settings, Not two places with settings crashing each other.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Have you try windows 7 ? there is no stupid "Windows Setting".
Have you try changing windows firewall settings than change the "Security setting in Windows Setting" and see it just hangs there and CTD ?

You should have ONE place to access all the settings, Not two places with settings crashing each other.
I'm not sure if you know this but I'm not Bill Gates, I don't program Windows. I simply told you the easiest way possible to access the control panel and pin it so it's always where you want it but I guess doing that one single time is too much and you're offended

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
I'm not sure if you know this but I'm not Bill Gates, I don't program Windows. I simply told you the easiest way possible to access the control panel and pin it so it's always where you want it but I guess doing that one single time is too much and you're offended

I replied at #13.
I repeat once again.
We should never have to do that.

And Microsoft is doing overlays on top of the Control panel ( = "Windows Setting" ) which is actually affecting the functionality of the control panel.
If you have no idea what I am saying, try manipulating Windows firewall in control panel and Windows Security in Windows Setting , at the same time.
Eventually you will encounter CTD in both.

Microsoft is breaking the control panel with an inferior version on it, for the sick of "User Friendliness".

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
@Crackong Microsoft is replacing Control Panel with the Settings app. Eventually it will be completely gone from Windows.

With any luck you'll get some obscure apps for more advanced stuff, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Windows 7 did not require "power tools" to aid functionality but 10 is littered with all manner of workarounds for it to be tolerably competent in usability from users, third parties and now m$ too...its sad
Total nonsense. Do you have an opinion of your own or are you only able to parrot stuff you read on the internet?
(and your sentence doesn't even make any sense)

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
@Crackong Microsoft is replacing Control Panel with the Settings app. Eventually it will be completely gone from Windows.

With any luck you'll get some obscure apps for more advanced stuff, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

With so many links in the Settings app redirecting back to control panel, I don't see how it is gonna replace it in anytime soon.
This Settings app cannot fully control the PC.
It is like 20% complete, there is no way it can replace the control panel at this state.

For now, the Settings app is just a "Looks more user friendly overlay" of the actual control panel.
However the pages are over-simplified.
For example, power plan options, we all know how important it is.
Look at those TWO options available in the Settings app "Power and Sleep" , it is insulting our intelligence.

For power users, this Settings app is almost useless.
For light users, well they don't bother with PC settings so they don't even care how user friendly it is, they will ask "That guy who knows how to do it" when they have to.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
With so many links in the Settings app redirecting back to control panel, I don't see how it is gonna replace it in anytime soon.
This Settings app cannot fully control the PC.
It is like 20% complete, there is no way it can replace the control panel at this state.

For now, the Settings app is just a "Looks more user friendly overlay" of the actual control panel.
However the pages are over-simplified.
For example, power plan options, we all know how important it is.
Look at those TWO options available in the Settings app "Power and Sleep" , it is insulting our intelligence.

For power users, this Settings app is almost useless.
For light users, well they don't bother with PC settings so they don't even care how user friendly it is, they will ask "That guy who knows how to do it" when they have to.
They have been adding things to the Settings app and burying Control Panel since it appeared. Don't expect it to have all the functionality of Control Panel, it won't. They are following a mac os (or even the more popular linux distros) approach here, a single place for all the common settings a regular user would need.

For the advanced user, if we're lucky, we'll get some separate apps for that (or they'll keep the old ones and give them a fresh look to match the OS) or you'll have to resort to the command line like other popular OSes. Maybe something like the Windows Administrative Tools folder would work for this too.

Now at the rate they've been going, it might take another 10 years for the Control Panel to truly be gone, but that's the way we're headed.

Processor Intel core i5 4590s
Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cooling Evercool EC115A 915SP Cpu cooler,Coolermaster [200mm (front and top)+140mm rear]
Memory Corsair 16GB(4x4) ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9(Ver8.16)(XMP)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage Western Digital WDC WD2001FAS 2TB Black, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron L177WSB
Case Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) Creative A550 Speakers 5.1 channel
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex 2 Gold 650W SF-650F14EG
Mouse PLNK M-740 Optical Mouse
Keyboard ibuypower GKB100 Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Sp1 64 bit
Total nonsense. Do you have an opinion of your own or are you only able to parrot stuff you read on the internet?
(and your sentence doesn't even make any sense)
unless links are provided and otherwise stated all my posts are indeed MY OPINION, I don't appreciate the insults and since apparently we study the same material on the net (I assume as much from the absolute self appointed authority with which you call out my plagiarism) have the windows 10 user horror stories escaped your attention?

then again perhaps you haven't used 10 or serviced a pc with it installed

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
At the expense of the power user.. Moronic UI move..
Not really, imo. The vast, vast majority of users aren't power users. And of those that are, how many regularly use power user features?

The Control Panel was never a friendly place for the less proficient users, the Settings app aims to correct that. If you've used mac os/gnome settings you know what they're going for.

Crackong used the firewall as an example and going by that, I don't see the problem in having a separate app with advanced firewall controls, rather than over complicating the Settings app (Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security?).

The vast, vast majority of users aren't power users.
Irrelevant. We power users influence trends and normal users. Microsoft needs to strike a balance between making Windows easy to use for the common user and fine-grained customizations for advanced/power users. They need to lean toward appeasing the power user group.
And of those that are, how many regularly use power user features?
I do, all the time.
The Control Panel was never a friendly place for the less proficient users
That is problem only for those who fail to take the time to learn. Key point there.
If you've used mac os/gnome settings you know what they're going for.
I have, and am not a fan of either.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
Irrelevant. We power users influence trends and normal users. Microsoft needs to strike a balance between making Windows easy to use for the common user and fine-grained customizations for advanced/power users. They need to lean toward appeasing the power user group.
No, it isn't. A minority doesn't influence anything. You have to appease the majority, not the minority.
I do, all the time.
You're one person. As you'd say, irrelevant.
That is problem only for those who fail to take the time to learn. Key point there.
So your solution to Control Panel's less than welcoming design towards the less computer savvy is "git gud"? Or is a more intuitive product a better way?
I have, and am not a fan of either.
Me neither, and mac os specifically has given me grief due to the over simplistic settings more than once. But I understand why it is the way it is and ultimately, I have to agree with Apple, it's dead simple to use. It would be nice to have some advanced settings buried somewhere rather than have to go digging around a terminal window but it is what it is.

But luckily you do have that on Windows, the Settings app even has links for advanced settings in some areas (but you as a power user, you'd go straight from search, which is even quicker).

No, it isn't. A minority doesn't influence anything. You have to appease the majority, not the minority.
Tell that to the rich & elite.
You're one person. As you'd say, irrelevant.
I'm hardly alone..
Or is a more intuitive product a better way?
You think the new UI is more intuitive than that offered be the classic control panel?
(but you as a power user, you'd go straight from search, which is even quicker).
No, I wouldn't. I create a short-cut and use it.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
Tell that to the rich & elite.
We're talking about software development.
I'm hardly alone..
You're not, but you're in a minority. And if they can replace the Control Panel with something else that works better for the majority of their users then it makes sense. Unlike other OSes though, I believe we'll still have plenty of advanced options like we're used to.
You think the new UI is more intuitive than that offered be the classic control panel?
In my opinion and in it's current iteration, yes. It's also more cohesive. But it's still a work in progress and there's much to do.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
Not really, imo. The vast, vast majority of users aren't power users. And of those that are, how many regularly use power user features?

The Control Panel was never a friendly place for the less proficient users, the Settings app aims to correct that. If you've used mac os/gnome settings you know what they're going for.

Crackong used the firewall as an example and going by that, I don't see the problem in having a separate app with advanced firewall controls, rather than over complicating the Settings app (Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security?).

From my experience, causal users don't bother with doing their own PC settings.
They don't really care about how "user friendly" the setting page looked.
They simply ask the guy who knows things and follow instructions.

For those who are willing to learn,
This "Windows Setting" is nothing but a smokescreen hiding the true capabilities of the PC.
It is totally unnecessary.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
You both think it was fine as it was, but Microsoft thought otherwise. I think their reasoning is sound and has worked well for other OSes.

They simply ask the guy who knows things and follow instructions.
Exactly why they're trying to simplify it.

Anyways, we could keep arguing about it, but this thread isn't even about the Control Panel, so I'm out before we get smacked for derailing the topic. Peace. :peace:

You both think it was fine as it was, but Microsoft thought otherwise.
Microsoft often "thinks" a lot of things. They still "think" activation is an effective way to prevent piracy of Windows and it's other products, it is not. The difference between the past and the present is that in the past they knew it was ok to admit they were wrong, back-track and try again.
I think their reasoning is sound and has worked well for other OSes.
Again, everyone has an opinion. Change for the sake of change is rarely a positive thing.
Exactly why they're trying to simplify it.
"Trying" is the key word. "Failing" is another.
Anyways, we could keep arguing about it, but this thread isn't even about the Control Panel, so I'm out before we get smacked for derailing the topic.
We're not off topic at all. These new "Power Toys" are intended to be utilities that offer methods of configuration options to Windows users. We're talking about the default UI to Windows configuration settings, a directly related subject.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Case Silverstone FT04
Microsoft often "thinks" a lot of things. They still "think" activation is an effective way to prevent piracy of Windows and it's other products, it is not.

Reminds me of that incident not long time ago, their activation server was so f*ed up cancelling every customer's Win10 Pro licences.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
As opposed to the existing, well known and well refined control panel. There's an old saying, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

That applied to Win 7 > 10 as well but they still did it anyway. What are we really discussing here, that water is wet?

Windows was always a case of 'make it do what you want' as much as possible. That hasn't changed, I get the impression people got the idea that after 7 the world would freeze and they'd be able to use it forever or something. Even in 7 there were slight problems that had to be dealt with - and also similar ones with UI /design choices for simpletons vs power users. Heck, 7 even had the same issues with several Windows skins layered on top of each other. In the end if you had to boot with bare necessities you'd still see the old Windows UI underneath Aero.

Surprise surprise, Microsoft uses an iterative development process, yes even for its age old OS. Why would control panel be any different... I consider it bonus to be able to have the old version side by side with the new. Imagine it'd be gone entirely - or, imagine them having axed the old one the second the new one was finished. Boom, all your settings lost in Windows limbo until you bother figuring it all out again.

Things are fine as is. MS would've never done it right anyway for everyone.

Last edited:

bat12344

The software giant is open-sourcing PowerToys on GitHub so anyone can contribute. The first two utilities that Microsoft is working on for Windows 10 are a new maximize to the desktop widget and a Windows key shortcut guide.