• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Move 3D XPoint Memory Manufacturing to China

System Name poopy-chan
Processor 7950x
Motherboard asus x670e rog crosshair hero
Cooling dark rock pro 4
Memory 64GB kingston 5600
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage msi m480, kingston fury renegade, 860evo, 860qvo, 870qvo etc. 15TB ssd total, don't ask
Display(s) hp x32 1440p 165Hz
Case LianLi
Audio Device(s) creative sbx g6, dt 770 pro, hd 600
Power Supply HX1200
Mouse black but with rgb, shiny
Keyboard varmillo moonlight with numpad
Software win11
I don't remember any other country forcing tech transfer as a precondition to accessing their (domestic) market. This is by no means fair & certainly not a "safety" feature! Pretty sure Siemens & many other German companies are seething after handing over their designs like Velaro, now China not only makes Maglev (trains) for themselves but also exports them to the detriment of Siemens :ohwell:
It is theft. No other country requires the investors to surrender their IP.
Yeah nobody forces. Only the greed of CEOs and their yes men.

Forming merger entities is a pretty normal thing, as well as the requirements to educate local personal and some know how sharing. Saying it's a theft is a pretty strange point of view on international trade and investment.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
I see China taking over Hollywood, the entire household goods, majority of car company production, all electronics. But oh no, they're not taking over the world at all. Relax, here's a free USB dongle.

The US used to manufacture everything also. It's a cycle, soon all the manufacturing will leave China once their wages catch up.

You can't complain because companies in capitalist countries want to make as much money as possible as their number one objective. China had low wages, the know how and manpower. That's why all the western companies flocked to China.

Money, China has it, the west wants it.

Every well known company leaving china and Intel wants to go to china. Now I clearly see why Intel is behind AMD.

ICC has preventive role. If politicians would live in fear that their decisions could lead to being charged of war crimes and locked up for life, they'd think twice before committing war crime atrocities.
China has played by western rules since opening up so it could become a member of WTO, SWIFT network etc. But now they say F... it, we won't play your game, we're too big to be sanctioned anyway. Who can blame them with all the craziness happening on the international stage?
ICC just like the UN is toothless, the UN has failed since its inception in preventing wars, genocide & atrocities which could otherwise be classified as "war" crimes. The P5 have always used the UN for their self interest & consensus on important matters, like climate change, has been fleeting because of their shortsightedness. That is not to say that other major nations have not been greedy at various points, however the flawed structure of the UN has prevented meaningful reforms & lasting peace on earth. Same is the case with ICC, you need to have well defined laws or rules to make it meaningful, not to mention countries/leaders shouldn't get waivers arbitrarily because they're strong/weak or follow a particular religion etc.

Also I'm curious by which rules you're talking about ~ anything specific, because this tech transfer law was introduced way back IIRC?
Forming merger entities is a pretty normal thing, as well as the requirements to educate local personal and some know how sharing. Saying it's a theft is a pretty strange point of view on international trade and investment.
How many of these entities then go on to sell the same products, presumably under the JV, with a different name or export them? As far as I remember there's no major example of such JV (partners) exporting goods at the expense of the IP owner, foreign companies in this case.

And just to make many stand clear ~ the foreign firms are also responsible for exploiting cheap labor the world over as well as flouting environmental laws for more $ however that's a separate issue, albeit a very closely related one.

Low quality post by Deleted member 24505
D

Deleted member 24505

If you are so paranoid and have so much hatred of the Chinese, then throw all your electrical items in the bin, as they are probably all made in china. America is so paranoid about the chinese, when you Fidiots voted trump as your president, who is doing more damage to your country than they have any hope of doing.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Oh look another reason to avoid Intel:laugh:

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
Terrible timing aside, you hold the IP to what you think is the next generation of memory, and you want to move to China? What do you think will happen?

"We" don't hate the Chinese, "we" dislike the CCP for various well documented reasons, including fostering rampant technology theft.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Under the terms of the stake-sale, Micron allows Intel to continue to manufacture 3D XPoint at IMFlash for a year, after which it must manufacture it elsewhere.

That makes absolutely no sense. How, how, how TF does this benefit Micron? The only thing it does is inconvenience Intel temporarily.

There must be more to the terms than just that.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I don't think that IP's alone will make China the next guys to enter the CPU arena, but I might be wrong of course.
Fortunately the x86 and GPU Shader patents/licenses are still impossible to steal due to their unique feature sets, but even if the Chinese will manage to do that, they would only be able to sell those on the mainland, and even there I think is impossible due to already registered there... Also good luck with the supported software optimized for there specific chips.

System Name poopy-chan
Processor 7950x
Motherboard asus x670e rog crosshair hero
Cooling dark rock pro 4
Memory 64GB kingston 5600
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage msi m480, kingston fury renegade, 860evo, 860qvo, 870qvo etc. 15TB ssd total, don't ask
Display(s) hp x32 1440p 165Hz
Case LianLi
Audio Device(s) creative sbx g6, dt 770 pro, hd 600
Power Supply HX1200
Mouse black but with rgb, shiny
Keyboard varmillo moonlight with numpad
Software win11
How many of these entities then go on to sell the same products, presumably under the JV, with a different name or export them? As far as I remember there's no major example of such JV (partners) exporting goods at the expense of the IP owner, foreign companies in this case.
And just to make many stand clear ~ the foreign firms are also responsible for exploiting cheap labor the world over as well as flouting environmental laws for more $ however that's a separate issue, albeit a very closely related one.

It depends on a JV type, stakes distribution for parties involved and maybe specific circumstances mentioned in an agreement. Of course there's an industrial espionage, IP leaks and other thing that can be seen all around, but it's not that simple. If we consider that IP is covered by patents, foreign markets are essentially closed for chinese companies if they will try to simply 'steal and sell', they are obligated to pay. For Huawei and other companies exporting their goods to USA and EU having to pay for patents is not a problem compared to opportunities these markets provide. There're AMD, GM, VW Group partnerships, but we will not see chinese x86 CPUs outside of china, at least for now. Their IP problem is more about content than stealing and exporting high tech products, because it's very hard to do and may be not even worth it. Essentially they can become a major player in the field by simply investing more, especially if it's a national development program and is backed by the government. You can see how it's made in USA by subsidizing strategically important corporations. It's made to look scarier than it really is, or majority of companies would abandon china by now.

I agree about the cheap labor, western people are used to paying less for things compared to their income, but it's not sustainable, it'll have to go away, settle for less, especially if India, Vietnam and other countries will no longer be cheap. Who will be next to try to keep these margins, maybe Africa, but who knows. I hope that this sort of situation will force some systemic changes eventually. Nuclear weapon is a blocker to try to solve this with a large scale war.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Intel's got FAB's building in US, Ireland and Israel, two of those matter very much to the current POTUS. He won't touch Intel.
One thing I diasgree w trump on. Israel doesn't need help. America first! Use that money on infrastructure!

In West Virginia we got tons of empty buildings,and low cost of living and doing biz here. We need companies to come to WV! Intel should put a fab or two here and then people will flock to WV and help our economy!

Facebook and Zayo and 2 other telcos are gonna ramp up fiber infrastructure in my state and WV legislators are pushing hard for broadband expansion and support 5G deployments. Hope our state succeeds in that and turns my area into Silicon Mountains.