• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ARM Revokes Huawei's Chip IP Licence

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
As the trade war between the US and China continues to unfold, we are seeing major US companies ban or stop providing service to China's technology giant Huawei. Now, it looks like the trade war has crossed the ocean and reached the UK. This time, UK based ARM Holdings, the provider of mobile chip IP for nearly all smartphones and tablets, has revoked the license it has given Huawei.

According to the BBC, ARM Holdings employees were instructed to suspend all interactions with Huawei, and to send a note informing Huawei that "due to an unfortunate situation, they were not allowed to provide support, deliver technology (whether software, code, or other updates), engage in technical discussions, or otherwise discuss technical matters with Huawei, HiSilicon or any of the other named entities." The news came from an internal ARM document the BBC has obtained.

So, what does this mean?

For starters, let's elaborate a bit on what exactly ARM's business is, and what connections they have with Huawei. ARM is the license provider of the ARM processor IP, which is used in all CPUs that are built around the ARM instruction set architecture. That means that whenever a microchip is designed using the ARM ISA, in order to be commercially sold, ARM needs to approve it. Those approvals are of course followed by a fixed fee the licensee is paying. How does that affect Huawei you might ask. A lot, actually. ARM is found in every chip Huawei designs and sells. Huawei's subsidiary, HiSilicon actually designs the chips, but that makes no difference. There exists a company called "ARM-China" but it has terminated the contract with Huawei as well.

The big questions now is, whether this termination affects existing devices sitting on retailer shelves, existing processors sitting in warehouses, chips currently being fabricated, or only future chip designs. In the worst case it could mean that Huawei is facing an immediate sales ban of all their phones or tablets using ARM processors, which will be a huge deal for the company.

What I think will happen in the short-term, is that they will most likely try to outsource chip manufacturing to someone with a license, like MediaTek (China) or Samsung (Korea), or adopt another industry standard ISA. A good candidate for that would be RISC-V, which is a (relatively) new and open architecture that requires no licensing. Having seen huge growth in China for all kinds of applications, from AI to IoT, RISC-V would be a logical decision, especially since the architecture is royalty-free.

But there is a problem. Currently, all of Huawei's efforts have been focused on Android, which is basically tailor-made for ARM chips. Android, mind you, is running on top of Linux, which has been ported to various other architectures in the past. The Linux kernel itself already supports RISC-V, and is available in distributions like Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD and NetBSD, so there exists a possibility that Huawei will build its new software and hardware stack on top of those.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
That's unexpected. I wonder why they followed the US ban. Huawei had it set because they didn't use much US tech in their phones except for Micron memory in some but they had other vendors for memory so no big deal. With this license revocation, they wouldn't even be to make their own Kirin CPU .

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Loongson in smartphone, here we come. AFAIK that's MIPS and android still works on MIPS.

System Name Not in use since mid-2014
Processor Intel E6750
Motherboard Asus P5k-E /WiFi AP
Cooling Stock
Memory Super Talent 2x2x1GB PC6400
Video Card(s) XFX 8800GT XXX
Storage WD 640GB Caviar Blue; WD 2TB Green
Display(s) LG L226WTQ 22"
Case Asus Vento A8
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software WinXP SP3; Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 @ 1280x1024 - 11563 Points; SuperPI 1M - 18.875s
This is starting to look like a conspiracy. The UK is not the US, and AFAIK Huawei haven't infringed on ARM's IP ...

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I can't think of any direct causality between US legal action and ARM's decision so I assume ARM simply doesn't want anything to do with the sinking ship that is Huawei.

This is starting to look like a conspiracy. The UK is not the US, and AFAIK Huawei haven't infringed on ARM's IP ...
ARM is owned by a Japanese firm & Huawei licenses anything & virtually everything from them. Yes it is a part of the trade war but you don't go to war with empty shells.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
That's unexpected. I wonder why they followed the US ban.

I could imagine they're simply worried that they might get labeled "enemy of the US"

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
UK has had issue with Huawei's security practices dating back to 2010.

And are currently barring them from core 5g networks.

ARM is unsurprisingly distancing themselves from them.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
I could imagine they're simply worried that they might get labeled "enemy of the US"
Or they simply have the same trade, security and IP trademark concerns with Huawei / China that the US does.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
ARM is stuck between a rock and a whitehouse place.
Toe the US Line or Suffer the consequences.
you have to Reconcile ARM has Business links to all Major US Corporations and Shareholders.

Think of this what if He who shall not be named tweets
"I think our (US) Patent Office should revoke all ARM Patents"

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Turns out ARM does have to be in compliance with the ban. ARM has two chip development centers here in the US. One in San Jose, CA and the other is Austin, TX

China is going to cut down ressources in raw materials such rare earths, which they own @70% with full access in Mongolia to the biggest spot in the world, or in distant Africa, which they own (they bought the lands).

So companies as manufacturing chips or any battery consumming product is going to be impacted. And Japan will not be spared.
Enjoy your +300% price in the next few month.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

dorsetknob

China is going to cut down ressources in raw materials such rare earths, which they own @70% with full access in Mongolia to the biggest spot in the world,
PEOPLE seem to think Rare Earths are indeed Rare.
They are not in fact they are Pretty Commom often thrown away in the processing of other Minerals.

They are however Expensive to Refine into a usable Resource
Ecologically the refining is Highly Toxic to the environment
China care's little about the Ecologically and the refining is Highly Toxic to the environment if not done with precision
Cost of Refining ( in consideration to the environment) is what stops the rest of the world from competing with China

Previous attempts by china to fix price and availability of "Rare Earth MINERALS" Have made countrys like Japan and the US explore for other sources
Undersea mining (Japan) Reopen old mine working (mineral price rise may again make them Economic again).

They are not in fact they are Pretty Commom often thrown away in the processing of other Minerals.

China care's little about the Ecologically and the refining is Highly Toxic to the environment if not done with precision
Cost of Refining ( in consideration to the environment) is what stops the rest of the world from competing with China

Previous attempts by china to fix price and availability of "Rare Earth MINERALS" Have made countrys like Japan and the US explore for other sources
Undersea mining (Japan) Reopen old mine working (mineral price rise may again make them Economic again).

I never said that rare earths were rare, just that China holds most of actual mines in the world (with Brazil if I remember well). Rare earth is just is just a category of elements in the periodic table. That's all.
Sure Japan have mines underwater, but retrieving the mud from 6000m underwater is not that efficient compared to open-sky mines they have in north-china and Mongolia.

And you "store" rare earth that easily. If China decide to cut supply, it's going to be a huge mess.

And for next time :
You just didn't read and take the opportunity to lecture somebody because you think you're smarter than everybody else. Rare earths are called rare earths. Try to find where I said it was rare.

aQi

Ok now the question is what other alternate does the chinese giant left with if ARM has done this ?

dorsetknob

China Currently Controls Most of the mines Producing Rare Earth Minerals at the moment yes
and like i said if they try to ransom the supply they risk country's accessing other Rescorces.
That may be Undersea mining
it may be the re opening of mines ( that would then be Profitable ). EPA basicly made the most profitable US mine Close as they could not compete with unregulated Chinese mining.
New mine's in Places like Afghanistan ( Supposed to have massive reserves).
Mining in Space (Asteroid's ect).
If the world is denied access ot the Current chinese product they will Source elsewhere and China loses another Revenue Source as well as further Taraffs imposed.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
This gets more and more bizarre with each passing day. I find it hard to believe this trade ban would reach out this far to ARM. Sure they have their Austin Texas center which usually produces the high performance parts like the A7X core IP and you can say that's US bound but what about the rest ? The low power stuff like the A5X core IP usually comes out of places like Cambridge/Budapest .

Ok now the question is what other alternate does the chinese giant left with if ARM has done this ?

Nothing as far as I am concerned, even Apple that make their own custom cores still need the custom license from ARM for the ISA compatiblity. It's too much of a hurdle for Huawei to start making their own microarhitecure/ISA and their own software, they're without question dead.

Last edited:

Sitohas Wang

Can't agree more, CCP act more like a colony in China as they totally care less about the future environment inside China, they just earn money and move their relatives to the developed country.

System Name Avell old monster - Workstation T1 - HTPC
Processor i7-3630QM\i7-5960x\Ryzen 3 2200G
Cooling Stock.
Memory 2x4Gb @ 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) HD 7970M \ EVGA GTX 980\ Vega 8
Storage SSD Sandisk Ultra li - 480 GB + 1 TB 5400 RPM WD - 960gb SDD + 2TB HDD
Microsoft creates a criminal monopoly, obliges to use the problematic software (W10) and still steals our data. Facebook does the same... And no one goes to war.

But when Huawei supposedly collects data the end of the world begins... great.

aQi

China Currently Controls Most of the mines Producing Rare Earth Minerals at the moment yes
and like i said if they try to ransom the supply they risk country's accessing other Rescorces.
That may be Undersea mining
it may be the re opening of mines ( that would then be Profitable ). EPA basicly made the most profitable US mine Close as they could not compete with unregulated Chinese mining.
New mine's in Places like Afghanistan ( Supposed to have massive reserves).
Mining in Space (Asteroid's ect).
If the world is denied access ot the Current chinese product they will Source elsewhere and China loses another Revenue Source as well as further Taraffs imposed.

Correction towards Afghanistan.

You should search for CPEC as well.

Microsoft creates a criminal monopoly, obliges to use the problematic software (W10) and still steals our data. Facebook does the same... And no one goes to war.

But when Huawei supposedly collects data the end of the world begins... great.

So far nothing has been proven on huawei’s side...that it is or was a threat