• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Teases World's First PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD With Speeds up to 5000 MB/s, Other Computex Announcements

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Who would have thought that Gigabyte - who don't manufacture controllers, nor memory - would be the first company to tease a PCIe 4.0-based M.2 SSD. In a blog post on its website that serves as a warm-up for the upcoming Computex, the company says that they'll be announcing the world's first PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD - with speeds up to 5000 MB/s at "low temperatures" - I guess that means that thermal throttling will become much more common with these new SSDs.

Any other details are currently unknown; however (and we're just speculating here), we know that Phison was preparing a PCIe 4.0 NVMe controller in the form of the E16. At the time (back in January of 2019), Phison paired their E16 controller with Micron's 96-layer TLC flash, but improvements in controller development as well as changes in the flash memory used could have brought up their - then - performance figures of expected 4.8/4.4 GB/s of read/write throughput on Toshiba's BiCS 4 flash. We'll just have to wait for Computex and see, but oh my - new PCIe 4.0 SSDs, new up-to 16-core CPUs on the 7 nm process, new 7 nm GPUs... Isn't this a great time to be a PC enthusiast? Read after the break for the rest of Gigabyte's Computex tease.

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd has been committed to pioneering computer innovations and making breathtaking technology advancements. This year at Computex, GIGABYTE has brought along its partners to form a smart ecosystem, together, to demonstrate solutions that inspire buyers and real life applications that enlighten visitors.

-Data Center-
The interconnectivity of remote smart devices will see a significant improvement as 5G draws near, but achieving "smart" takes a great amount of computing power. The key to evolving smart technology lies in machines' ability to store and analyze large amount of information, using it to learn how to make predictions or decisions and create valuable economic data. GIGABYTE has teamed up with several industry leaders to demonstrate how hardware infrastructure, coupled with software integration, can create ideal system solutions that initiate smarter technologies.

AI and smart clouds for 5G
A partnership with ITRI has brought to the show an iMEC (Intelligent Mobile Edge Cloud) platform that can integrate networking & cloud virtualization technologies into the next generation of 5G networks, reducing latency and increasing network service reliability and scalability, and an on-premises AI development platform that can improve the accuracy and reduce the time required for DNN (Deep Neural Networks) training. And cooperation with InfinitiesSoft has brought to life a hybrid cloud platform that integrates sophisticated container management and software defined storage, allowing businesses to achieve the possibility of an on-premises self-built AI cloud.

Liquid cooling and software-defined storage
With an ongoing effort to improve data center efficiency, GIGABYTE has partnered with Asetek to showcase a modularized direct-to-chip liquid cooling solution for increased performance possibilities and reduced power and cooling requirements in the data center. A joint-venture with Bigtera brought live VirtualStor, in which it helps consolidating businesses' existing media and effortlessly adds new capacity that supports all main storage types, while simplifying management and reducing infrastructure costs.

-Smart Life-
To vindicate that a 5G smart future is not a far-fetched vision but a current transformation taking place, GIGABYTE has dedicated a great portion of this year's booth to showcase several ready-to-deploy applications in different 5G scenarios. On-premise IoT scenarios exemplify both GIGABYTE's hardware expertise and solution know-how. By using IoT gateway systems and embedded computers, GIGABYTE is able to exhibit several Internet of Things (IoT) scenarios such as smart agriculture, retail, marketing, security and AI human detection.

GIGABYTE and AIoT solutions
The smart solutions will hugely enhance the efficiency and convenience of individuals and businesses who decide to invest in this technology. Utilizing Big Data, AI, and edge computing, an IoT Eco Box can gather necessary information from the cloud and control variables that are vital to a crop's growth in order to increase yield; digital signage can use a face recognition system and 3D lens to analyze and judge the gender and age of the audience to display appropriate and effective advertisements; and cameras are able to capture faces of the customers in a retail environment to provide security and generate useful data for marketing analysis.

AR/MR application
Utilizing GIGABYTE's server know-how, companies such as Jorjin Technology Inc. is also able to introduce at GIGABYTE's booth a pair of AR/MR glasses that can assist enterprises to simplify problems originally caused by long travel distances and related time consumption, and this product will be able to be widely used in industrial maintenance, warehousing and logistics, public security and medical fields to efficiently perform maintenance, education, training, and identification of sensitive information etc.

-Studio-
Renowned for innovation and craftsmanship of its motherboards, this year GIGABYTE is going to revolutionize the industry with several game changers for professionals working in fields like video editing, industrial design, and 3D related work.

World's first PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD
GIGABYTE is one of the very few computer tech companies to design workstation grade motherboards that are compatible with NVIDIA's Quadro graphics cards for professional individuals. At Computex, GIGABYTE also releases the world's first PCIe 4.0 interface M.2 SSD on the latest AMD platform to provide video editors with 5000 MB/s read/write speeds in low temperatures.

Leading the industry into AMOLED 4K
At the other end of the spectrum there is demand for professionals who need to present their demos and editing on the go. Since 2017, GIGABYTE's AERO 15 laptop continues to receive praise from the media and customers alike, with two consecutive years of recognition from NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang, by personally showcasing the laptop at the world's largest electronic show (CES) and naming the AERO as a new generation of thin and light performance laptops.

The AERO series is now receiving a fresh redesign in both appearance and performance. And for the first time GIGABYTE will release a 17" model for those who create content constantly on a mobile PC. Both 15" and 17" AERO come with the latest Intel and NVIDIA technologies, and lead the industry by being the first to offer a 4K Samsung AMOLED display. Not only does it support a 100% DCI-P3 color gamut which offers a 25% wider range of colors than the traditional sRGB, but it also meets the VESA Display HDR 400 standard. Coupled with being Xrite Pantone calibrated and certified before it leaves the factory, the AERO series laptops produce more details and color accuracy than competing products with a traditional LCD, offering designers and content creators alike a vivid representation of their imaginative worlds.

Upgrade Your Life
At the forefront of innovation, GIGABYTE echoes the show's main themes to showcase key solutions for the intelligent generation. Computex is the time of year for Taiwan's most brilliant minds in the industry to come together and showcase future innovations. As the show gets underway, GIGABYTE is primed and ready to exhibit its smart solutions that will propel 5G technology advancement and uphold its capability to "Upgrade Your Life". From May 28th to June 1st GIGABYTE expects to share technology insights and explore future endeavors with innovators from around the globe at Nangang Exhibition Center Hall 2 ,Taipei TAIWAN.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Now if they release adapter x16 card that can raid 4 of this... upto 20GB/s?

Meanwhile:
[Tomshardware]Zombie Loading: Intel Patches Slow Down SSDs as AMD Gains Ground.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Apparently this is what it looks like...

Source:

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
GIGABAYTE is expanding and becoming the all-powerful giant in the offer. Products are, as far as I know, anticipated for some time, and there is more questioning how to us, consumers think of burdening prices for doubling working frequencies and raising the number of kernels with the help of new technologies (if this can be said at all). Please remind me when you really have something new, such as a graphite and optical priceor for ordinary consumers. The Samsung monitor is good by definition, but it will certainly be for the rich. How many ads for support are created and rising to heaven. 5G wi fi is harmful, proven but it is offered and strengthened.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
GIGABAYTE is expanding and becoming the all-powerful giant in the offer. Products are, as far as I know, anticipated for some time, and there is more questioning how to us, consumers think of burdening prices for doubling working frequencies and raising the number of kernels with the help of new technologies (if this can be said at all). Please remind me when you really have something new, such as a graphite and optical priceor for ordinary consumers. The Samsung monitor is good by definition, but it will certainly be for the rich. How many ads for support are created and rising to heaven. 5G wi fi is harmful, proven but it is offered and strengthened.

Gigabyte also has the benefit of being made in Taiwan, which is free from trade tariffs a lot of companies are not, Gigabyte has been using this to its advantage in recent months. :) If they were a bit more aggressive with profit margins, and making price slightly lower for consumers, they could undercut so far they would indeed dominate across the board on product types.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte also has the benefit of being made in Taiwan, which is free from trade tariffs a lot of companies are not, Gigabyte has been using this to its advantage in recent months. :) If they were a bit more aggressive with profit margins, and making price slightly lower for consumers, they could undercut so far they would indeed dominate across the board on product types.

You'd be surprised how few products they still make in Taiwan. Yes, they still have a motherboard factory in Taoyuan, but they only make a few high-end motherboard SKUs there, as well as some server/workstation products there.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You'd be surprised how few products they still make in Taiwan. Yes, they still have a motherboard factory in Taoyuan, but they only make a few high-end motherboard SKUs there, as well as some server/workstation products there.

ah ok I didn't know that. I did notice their motherboards were very competitively priced however when shopping for z390 boards recently.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
ah ok I didn't know that. I did notice their motherboards were very competitively priced however when shopping for z390 boards recently.

This is the factory.

More recent video. I guess they've started to do a bit more stuff there than they used to, which imho is a good thing. It's a few years since I was there so...

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I'm still using my Intel 600p as my main drive until this breaks :D

Pure marketing BS. What's the point? You won't see that kind of transfer anywhere outside highly specialized enterprise storage subsystem at QD of 32 or more - ignoring matters of overhead. These numbers will fool many. Put some RGB on it Gigabyte to amplify BS effect.

How about slashing lane requirements to x2 instead x4. Adding more drives inside same PCIe lanes storage envelope is more beneficial than unattainable speeds. Especially on consumer boards which are desperately short of PCIe lanes.

Technically AMD wins short term. Sadly Gen 4.0 was from the beginning known as just short-term stop gap for Gen 5.0 coming to servers late 2020/early 2021. Personally, I don't expect excessive market saturation with Gen4 devices. It makes no economic sense knowing that Gen5 is already in the pipeline & testing.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Pure marketing BS. What's the point? You won't see that kind of transfer anywhere outside highly specialized enterprise storage subsystem at QD of 32 or more - ignoring matters of overhead. These numbers will fool many. Put some RGB on it Gigabyte to amplify BS effect.

How about slashing lane requirements to x2 instead x4. Adding more drives inside same PCIe lanes storage envelope is more beneficial than unattainable speeds. Especially on consumer boards which are desperately short of PCIe lanes.

Technically AMD wins short term. Sadly Gen 4.0 was from the beginning known as just short-term stop gap for Gen 5.0 coming to servers late 2020/early 2021. Personally, I don't expect excessive market saturation with Gen4 devices. It makes no economic sense knowing that Gen5 is already in the pipeline & testing.
Yada.

Gen4 was in the market pipeline and tested years before its release. ;)

Desperately short? No. For some power users, yes.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
The premium on these is going to be huge until significant competition enters the market.
Surprising that the first pcie 4 SSD would come from gigabyte, but a smart move on their part. I know I'll be looking for a drive that can take advantage of the additional bandwidth. I'm waiting for a new threadripper for my next build, and hopefully there will be some competition by then to keep prices somewhat reasonable.
Thermal throttling is definitely a concern, but active cooling for the drives in desktop builds should help mitigate the issue, although this will certainly be a concern for any upcoming laptops with pcie 4.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
The premium on these is going to be huge until significant competition enters the market.
Surprising that the first pcie 4 SSD would come from gigabyte, but a smart move on their part. I know I'll be looking for a drive that can take advantage of the additional bandwidth. I'm waiting for a new threadripper for my next build, and hopefully there will be some competition by then to keep prices somewhat reasonable.
Thermal throttling is definitely a concern, but active cooling for the drives in desktop builds should help mitigate the issue, although this will certainly be a concern for any upcoming laptops with pcie 4.

It won't be the only one, they just announced it first. I'm expecting we'll see at least half a dozen similar devices being announced next week.

I agree that most people won't see any benefit from faster SSD as there was already little benefit for most when switching from SATA to NVMe. But I see even less benefit in more drives apart from beeing able to expand your fast storage capacity. One big drive is always better than many smaller ones and I consider RAID0 with NVMe to be BS.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
That's why we have heatsinks. I have an Intel 600p 256GB and I have a heatsink on this. Why? Because I can. :D

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Don't worry, they've got plenty of sh*tty GPU-cooler designs around to make sure they won't dominate the competition.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Don't worry, they've got plenty of sh*tty GPU-cooler designs around to make sure they won't dominate the competition.

Not sure what you mean, I owned the 980 Ti windforce and 1080 ti windforce and I loved both. the fan design is amazing, even at 90% windforce fans don't get too loud, where as my msi the duke 1080 ti at 90% fan speed would scream in my air. my gigabyte 1080 ti never broke 65 celsius since i was able to use a strong fan curve. and that included a heavy overclock.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Not sure what you mean, I owned the 980 Ti windforce and 1080 ti windforce and I loved both. the fan design is amazing, even at 90% windforce fans don't get too loud, where as my msi the duke 1080 ti at 90% fan speed would scream in my air. my gigabyte 1080 ti never broke 65 celsius since i was able to use a strong fan curve. and that included a heavy overclock.
Search for RTX Gigabyte on this forum and you'll see a bunch of users that received lemons.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
100 bucks this is gonna lose to 970 evo plus in anything bar small file sequential copy.
pci-e 4.0 means nothing.
a good nvme drive running 2.0 x4 is gonna be faster than a mediocre one running 3.0 x4

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Search for RTX Gigabyte on this forum and you'll see a bunch of users that received lemons.

RTX sure, but not previous generations, and plenty of RTX models are duds, there is a guy selling an EVGA unit over on overclock net, its a RMA return cause his first one had to many issues. temp wise maybe Gigabye messed up this round, no idea. all the companies seem to alternate and make mistakes. RTX has been a dud all around imo

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Something for the nay sayers here...
Note that this will be a mid-range drive...

Phison has beaten other SSD controller vendors to market by using its existing E12 controller engine paired with its own PCIe 4.0 PHY. That combination doesn't entirely saturate the PCIe 4.0 bus that boasts theoretical throughput of up to 8GB/s, but the E16 is just Phison's mid-range SSD controller. The company has a new high-end E19 controller coming in the Q1-Q2 2020 timeframe that will push the limits of the PCIe 4.0 x4 interface.
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-pcie-4.0-ssd-5gb,39433.html

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT

TheLostSwede

News Editor