• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Walkthrough of the Leopold Booth at Computex 2019

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Leopold is a boutique keyboard manufacturer based out of Korea, and one we have not yet had the pleasure of covering in detail on TechPowerUp. That is about to change, however, as we were invited to meet representatives of the company and go through their products at their Computex booth. I have been familiar with their existing lineup to an extent, noting that they use both Cherry MX and Topre switches in their keyboards designed for the high end market. The FC660 especially is quite popular among keyboard enthusiasts wanting a small form factor keyboard for ergonomics, and Leopold showed off their new version of an electrostatic capacitive switch based on the Topre switch.

The new switch finds its way in the equally new FC660PT keyboard, with the primary design change being the location of the spring relative to the switch housing and rubber dome that gave Topre switches the unique tactile feedback which people either loved or did not. The new design attempts to appease users who long since have wanted compatibility with Cherrry MX stem keycaps, which account for the vast majority of aftermarket keycap sets. The spring is thus right on top, and makes for an interesting two-step feedback mechanism seen in the force-travel diagram below, which may well be just as divisive as the Topre switch itself. Noting that the springs may work loose and possibly be lost, Leopold tells us they plan to also include an extra set of springs with the keyboard as well. The rest of the keyboard is unchanged, and that by itself is a good thing in my books given it is hard to improve on the build quality provided by the thick metal case paired with the 1.5 mm thick PBT keycaps with dye-sub legends. Read past the break for more Leopold offerings at the show floor!

Leopold also gave the Bluetooth connectivity treatment to several of their other popular keyboards, including the FC660M, FC750R, FC900R, and FC980M, which fall in the 60/TKL/full-size/95% form factors respectively. The new variants get a BT at the end of the product name to help quickly distinguish them from the older USB-only versions, and are powered by two AAA batteries on the back.

The lack of an OEM keycap profile for some of their current generation keyboards was seemingly a dealbreaker for many, and they should be pleased with the new OEM profile versions, currently marked OE but subject to change. Leopold had the FC750R OE and FC900R OE with the OEM profile treatment to show at their booth, and the other major change we saw here was one we missed on the other new keyboards. In order to address the louder clack from the space bar key, Leopold has integrated a soft pad on the contact surfaces which minimizes noise and does not detract further from the typing experience. To be fair, the use of Cherry stabilizers already causes a fairly mushy feeling in most implementations, so the overall change is a positive one for those wanting a quieter, less obtrusive space bar key. These sound absorbing pads are also integrated in the other new keyboards from above, if you were curious.

The Leopold brand has also made a name for their high end accessories, including hand-stitched leather wrist rests made in Korea from full grain Italian leather, hand finished wooden wrist rests, and more. Adding to this was an anti-slip pad meant to be used with keyboards, and the pad itself has a marking of a full-size keyboard on it. It is a low profile soft pad that also helps prevent scratches to the high end keyboards from Leopold and other outfits, if this was something that interests you.

The rest of their booth was dedicated to their current product portfolio, showing off also their manufacturing prowess when it comes to keyboard cases ,accessories, and keycaps alike, with multiple different keycap sets to be seen. We will be sure to add Leopold to our keyboard review database sooner than later, and let us know if there was something in particular that you wanted us to start with.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
Could you guys do watermarks in the corners only please? Not the fan of these images with the TPU logo plastered all-over. :(

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
We don't need less keyboard control, we need more! The Logitech G110 keyboard is perfect except that they never updated it to use mechanical keys. Two sets of macro keys separated by physical spaces on the left side of the keyboard and LED backlit are absolutely perfect. Back/Forward, Navigate Back/Forward, Close/Restore Tab, Dim/Brighten Screen, etc. Yes, most of us game though a lot of us also do productivity work too.

System Name cryohellinc PC
Processor i7-4770k @4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 2100mhz
Storage 3ssd - 64gb (software) ;128 (software + operational system); 256gb - Games + 1TB HDD
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR + Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard SteelSeries 6gv2 + custom O-Rings. Using Via PS2 connector
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
We don't need less keyboard control, we need more! The Logitech G110 keyboard is perfect except that they never updated it to use mechanical keys. Two sets of macro keys separated by physical spaces on the left side of the keyboard and LED backlit are absolutely perfect. Back/Forward, Navigate Back/Forward, Close/Restore Tab, Dim/Brighten Screen, etc. Yes, most of us game though a lot of us also do productivity work too.
That is your own biased opinion. I think that g110 is a massive ugly membrane monstrosity.

Keep trash where it belongs, meanwhile Leopold provides a fantastic range of high-quality keyboards. With some additional modding on top of it, the results can be fantastic.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
That is your own biased opinion. I think that g110 is a massive ugly membrane monstrosity.

Keep trash where it belongs, meanwhile Leopold provides a fantastic range of high-quality keyboards. With some additional modding on top of it, the results can be fantastic.

agreed, FN key for media, that's it for me :)
There is so many keyboard shortcuts I can use for everything else.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Could you guys do watermarks in the corners only please? Not the fan of these images with the TPU logo plastered all-over. :(

Watermarks in the corners tend to be cropped off and reused without credit by other websites, unfortunately. I found one particular website copying 100% of my reviews, including text and photos, a few weeks ago which sucks.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
That is your own biased opinion. I think that g110 is a massive ugly membrane monstrosity. Keep trash where it belongs...

Hm, you're right though I can't seem to find the delete button for your post.

Question for Topre + Gaming:

Am I limited how fast I can press the key in quick succession by how long it takes for the topre dome to come back up after depressing?
(sorry for bad wording...english)

For RTS, have to spam a lot, and wondering if its bad for starcraft...

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
Watermarks in the corners tend to be cropped off and reused without credit by other websites, unfortunately. I found one particular website copying 100% of my reviews, including text and photos, a few weeks ago which sucks.

I get it why it is being done, I'm just not very fond of the way it looks. For me on some of the shots it's very hard on the eyes and totally spoils the material, not very pleasant to look at.