• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Internal Memo Reveals that even Intel is Impressed by AMD's Progress

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
You think you can rank fanboys and conclude Intel's are worse/better than AMD's, Nvidia's, Apple's or whoever's?
Thing is that even the employees are much fairer in their judgements, a thing that we haven't seen even in PC industry. And I think that is worth noted. Aren't you impressed at all I suppose?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Again, as I said previously, you can limit the number of cores that the software sees inside the virtual machine. For instance, if you only have an MSSQL server license for six cores then limit the virtual machine to six cores and be done. There are ways around software licensing issues while thinking intelligently about how to pack as much computing power as possible in as little space as necessary. More servers equal more required physical space, power usage, cooling, and other added costs. If you can reduce that you can spend the saved money on other parts of your business.
If I say the earth is flat twice, it doesnt make it a correct statement. :)

It depends on the licensing of the software and how it works. I get what you are saying and in some cases that is generally correct, but it isn't as black and white as it seems. ;)

In a DC environment (ive worked for major phrama, a huge water utility in DC area, and AWS) the only 'way around software licensing'is doing things the right and legal way (smaller companies can be dubious). I'm not saying your example isn't legal, note, just generically speaking.

But it isnt as easy as stuffing high density units in racks and spinning them up for success. :)

System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
spending near to zero on research and development, only reducing manufacturing process to reduce manufacturing cost and increase profit

makes lots esnce,yet delivered much? well dfferent approaches, monotitihc desight encompassing much of not all, vs modular, scalble design.
le: performance for and or per user/ vs mass amounts of calculus capabilityes per chip ie Intel /AMD, I 've done the same thing since I have found that a Cpu Core is way smaaler that the chip within It resides soI went scalar, I/o' ing to another chip jst for compute sake, tought experiment decade ago at least.

Last edited:
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
It depends on the licensing of the software and how it works.
This I understand, it depends upon how restrictive the licensing is. If you run open source software you tend to not run into these pesky licensing issues.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Now if only they can get their thermals under control because many of Intel's enthusiast chips run very damn hot. This is where 10nm is desperately needed.

A die shrink alone isn't going to be enough. You can't just, for example, produce a 9900k on 10nm and get lower temps. We're packing billions of transistors into a very small space with processes like 14nm and smaller. Ideally, along with that node shrink you should also have a more efficient architecture which can do more work with less clock cycles. Think of the jump between Netburst P4 chips and the Core 2 Duo chips that followed. You had a hot, inefficient chip that ran at a high clock speed followed by a cooler, much more efficient chip that outperformed the previous lineup with around half the clock speed, depending on which two chips in particular you're comparing.

Zen is efficient because it runs at a low clock speed, produced by a low power process not intended for high performance PC parts. It's a pretty good architecture, so it's competitive, but the high end Intel chips, like the 9900k, still outperform it... but it does so while running hotter and gulping more power. Intel is simply at the end of the line of what they can do with the *lake architecture. They need another Core 2 Duo. They need a chip that, at 3GHz or so, can perform competitively with the 9900k, with room to clock higher.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
You can't just, for example, produce a 9900k on 10nm and get lower temps.
I'm not expecting a massive reduction in thermal output, even five to ten degrees lower while running at the same clock gives you a little more breathing room when it comes to cooling the chip down.

This memo proves something that most of us didn't suspect: The Intel fanboys are worse than Intel empoyees in their blindness for the reality CPU market is facing. So, the next reply to any Intel fanboy should be: "You are worse than an Intel employee and although they have a serious reason to protect their company they see clearer than you"

Fanboys are in the forums shouting at each other... for the people who work in these big companies, it's just a job.

In some companies, employees are even encouraged to use some products from the competition, to have a sense of how they work and to have more critical thinking.

Intel are scrambling. Worse position they've been in since Athlon 64, maybe even worse as this time they're helmed by a band-aid choice of a CEO, Bob Swan. A man that has no understanding of the main products Intel develops vs a MIT powerhouse who studied electrical engineering for her PhD.

Intel are scrambling. Worse position they've been in since Athlon 64, maybe even worse as this time they're helmed by a band-aid choice of a CEO, Bob Swan. A man that has no understanding of the main products Intel develops vs a MIT powerhouse who studied electrical engineering for her PhD.

And that swordblade type of competition mentaliy is exactly what consumers and enterprises, need.

That Ryzen 3 is going to kick ass. It's confirmed already. The initial zen base paves the frigging future for AMD, led by Jim Keller, lol.

Not worse than Athlon 64 days, because by that time there was literally no reason to buy Intel, they were done. And right now as you can read from their own employees that reckon AMD is more competitive, Intel still has the big sharks for high-end/enthusiasts 9700k and 9900k, wich still dominate on high refresh gaming. Once AMD can beat them, then Intel is done.

Fabel

And that swordblade type of competition mentaliy is exactly what consumers and enterprises, need.

That Ryzen 3 is going to kick ass. It's confirmed already. The initial zen base paves the frigging future for AMD, led by Jim Keller, lol.
And now Jim Keller is at Intel...

Fatyen

What a bunch of non sense in that article, Intel superior security, more core server CPUs carry more costs (inter alias). The way I see Intel's superiority is by milking the hard earned cash if their customers for unrespectable improvements.
Thanks to Hector Ruiz, AMD went fabless (post ATI acquisition). They were still struggling to churn out competitive products at that time. However, with the hiring of Lisa Su and Jim Keller, the whole team got a new direction and concentrated all their focus on their strengths, one step at a time (introducing Llano etc..). What we see today is a complete different AMD, with product offerrings giving sleepless nights to Intel and joy to customers and clients. This is only the start of AMD, Intel will have even more migraine from them and the market will continue to increasingly benefit. Zen 2 is not even released and such disruption in performance, efficiency and price have been attained. That architecture is so radical that Zen 3 will annihilate Intel like never before. When, Zen 2 and APU based Zen 2 will be released, there will be further waves of greatness.

Not worse than Athlon 64 days, because by that time there was literally no reason to buy Intel, they were done. And right now as you can read from their own employees that reckon AMD is more competitive, Intel still has the big sharks for high-end/enthusiasts 9700k and 9900k, wich still dominate on high refresh gaming. Once AMD can beat them, then Intel is done.

That's one hell of a niche. Either way, the 12-core 3900X or 16-core 3950X are coming. Judging by the leaked review, AMD now has a sizeable IPC advantage as well as core count advantage, Intel's only hope is the frequency on that 9900K pushed way past it's optimum resulting in a hot and inefficient mess.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Intel still has the big sharks for high-end/enthusiasts 9700k and 9900k, wich still dominate on high refresh gaming.
High refresh gaming may be the cool thing to have around these parts and other enthusiast circles but if you ask most casual gamers high refresh gaming is classified as one of those "nice things to have" but certainly not something that's worth breaking the bank to get it. For those "casual gamers" AMD is certainly well past the point of being good enough, and that scares Intel for the market for high refresh gaming isn't exactly big.

Fatyen

What a bunch of non sense in that article, Intel superior security, more core server CPUs carry more costs (inter alias). The way I see Intel's superiority is by milking the hard earned cash if their customers for unrespectable improvements.
Thanks to Hector Ruiz, AMD went fabless (post ATI acquisition). They were still struggling to churn out competitive products at that time. However, with the hiring of Lisa Su and Jim Keller, the whole team got a new direction and concentrated all their focus on their strengths, one step at a time (introducing Llano etc..). What we see today is a complete different AMD, with product offerrings giving sleepless nights to Intel and joy to customers and clients. This is only the start of AMD, Intel will have even more migraine from them and the market will continue to increasingly benefit. Zen 2 is not even released and such disruption in performance, efficiency and price have been attained. That architecture is so radical that Zen 3 will annihilate Intel like never before. When, Zen 2 and APU based Zen 2 will be released, there will be further waves of greatness.

That's one hell of a niche. Either way, the 12-core 3900X or 16-core 3950X are coming. Judging by the leaked review, AMD now has a sizeable IPC advantage as well as core count advantage, Intel's only hope is the frequency on that 9900K pushed way past it's optimum resulting in a hot and inefficient mess.

High refresh gaming may be the cool thing to have around these parts and other enthusiast circles but if you ask most casual gamers high refresh gaming is classified as one of those "nice things to have" but certainly not something that's worth breaking the bank to get it. For those "casual gamers" AMD is certainly well past the point of being good enough, and that scares Intel for the market for high refresh gaming isn't exactly big.

Agreed, casuals will go AMD 100% and they don´t even need to wait for ZEn 2. Ryzen 5 2600 at 120€ right now in my country, that´s the best perf vs price product, R5 3600 won´t beat that.

What I mean is that there are still reasons to get Intel. We can see from the early reviews that latencies are still an issue. and altho they don´t affect every application, they do affect a lot still. Wether high refresh gaming is a niche or not (wich I honestly doubt according to twitch communities), there are still reasons to grab Intel. While on the Athlon 64 days there were none, not a single one, only fanboyism or "brand preference" (for some silly reason).

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
What I mean is that there are still reasons to get Intel.
Oh most definitely, certainly if you want the best of the best of the best and you don't care how much you have to pay to get that kind of performance then Intel is going to be the one to go to to get that kind of performance.
Whether high refresh gaming is a niche or not
OK, it may not be a niche market in the traditional sense but when you compare the size of the high refresh gaming market to the whole of the entire gaming market, the high refresh gaming market is quite small. All things are relative here.

So with that in mind, the way I see it is that Intel is scared here because they're simply not accustomed to being no longer the king of the market in every single market segment. For the longest time, Intel was your only choice if you wanted to be a gamer, high end or otherwise. This has changed, Intel is no longer sitting on the golden throne of every single market segment and they can't handle that; their ego can't handle it. AMD came along and popped it and now Intel doesn't know what to do. Like the schoolyard bully that just took a punch to the gut, they're looking like a deer in the headlights.

Last edited:
System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
Do you mean an unknown user stole a secret article ?

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
AMD is definitely gaining CPU marketshare but they are still way behind Intel especially in the server market. Personally I hope to see AMD continue gaining market share.

2018 In billions of dollars:
Platform CPU Segment BreakdownIntelAMD
Desktop$ 12,220$ 946
Notebook$ 20,930$ 1,218
Server$ 21,155$ 312
Total CPU Revenue$ 54,305$ 2,476
Total Company Revenue$ 70,800$ 6,475
CPU % of Total77%38%

Last edited:
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Personally I hope to see AMD continue gaining market share.
I don't think AMD will have to worry about that, I see a lot of growth in AMD's future. I just wish I had gotten in at the ground floor with AMD stock back in 2015, I would have made some serious gains.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't think AMD will have to worry about that, I see a lot of growth in AMD's future. I just wish I had gotten in at the ground floor with AMD stock back in 2015, I would have made some serious gains.

No doubt. I remember their share price fell to under $2 at their low point. It's just under $30 now. A 1,500% profit in 3 years.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
No doubt. I remember their share price fell to under $2 at their low point. It's just under $30 now. A 1,500% profit in 3 years.
Yeah, most definitely. If it was anatomically possible I'd kick my own ass for not buying in on AMD back then.