• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EU Charges Intel with Monopoly Abuse

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
aint that kinda like NV getting into bed with the game devs? :p

yup. that is what happens. as long as the govts dont get involved in promoting one company or another im fine with it. obviously im against extortion and things of that nature but if you have a product and you want to sell it to many people who will buy it as possible then you have to make deals with all levels.

Atech

Processor Kentsfield Q6600 @ 2.8GHz "I eat source code before breakfast"
Motherboard Asus Striker Extreme 680i (NB:C55XE, SB:MCP55XE)
Cooling Zalman 9700, 1*200mm fan, 5*120mm fans
Memory 8GB OCZ PC6400 - 4*2 @ 622MHz (stability problems)
Video Card(s) Geforce 8800GTS
Storage 2* Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB - no RAID
Display(s) Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 74SB
Case Antec Nine Hundred + optional fans
Audio Device(s) On board (sort of - SupremeFX ADI 1988B)
Power Supply Corsair HW 620w
Software Gentoo GNU+Linux amd64 (latest development kernel)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Yep, also known as crony capitalism.

there is nothing wrong with two companies working together to defeat another. that is competition. as long as it is done without the use of physical force then it is all good in my mind.

Atech

there is nothing wrong with two companies working together to defeat another. that is competition. as long as it is done without the use of physical force then it is all good in my mind.
Free market economists disagree ;)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
AMD couldn't have underbid as far as Intel did without going out of business. Intel can afford to distribute CPU's to OEM's at a loss, I'd assume -- far cheaper than AMD could ever even dream of.

Sorry bud, Intel doesn't sell their CPU's for a lost. Honestly, if you have the performance lead, why sell your chips for a loss when you're competitor is a fab generation behind you? If you sell at $x, for y performance, you're competitor wants to undercut your $x at y performance. If you produce chips at less cost than your competitor and you're losing money, your competitor is losing money unless you waste lots of money or your competitor is really good at saving it. AMD is neither good at saving money compared to Intel and Intel doesn't throw money down the drain. If Intel takes losses on their CPU's because they followed suit with AMD's cuts, then AMD would be losing more money. If that happened it'd be great in Intel's eyes, they'd eventually force AMD out of business.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
But Intel's prices are always higher than AMD's. Any new hot product that is introduced into the market any tech company will ask for more. That is how the tech world functions. Didn't Intel ask for a Arm and a Leg to buy their processors when they first released any new technology?

I don't understand what are you guys talking about.

Intel has always been sued one way or other. When you can't do proper business because ur products suck you have to do all under the table dealings to sell. Every where in the universe it is called 'Cheating'!!

jydie

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (socket 939)
Motherboard ASUS A8R-MVP Express200
Cooling Standard AMD CPU Heatsink/Fan
Memory 1GB Geil PC3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X1900GT
Storage 2 Maxtor 7200 HDD (80GB)
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD
Case Yellow Chieftech Dragon
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Thermaltake TT-420AD
Software Windows XP Home
I do not think that AMD or Intel have ever overcharged for their CPUs. They simply base the price on performance compared to what is currently on the market... Intel and most every other manufacturer does the same thing. I bet the production costs are fairly close for a 4GB flash drive compared to a 1GB flash drive. Yet, the 4GB drive is 2-3 times more expensive. The same is true for hard drives, video cards, etc.

If Intel did everything they could to keep PC manufacturers from using the AMD processors, then I think that is very wrong. In fact, I think that is low and dirty. Back when AMD was on top, Dell had to listen to complaints and come up with lame excuses about their lack of AMD systems. Last I heard, HP passed Dell up for the #1 spot. Good for them, because HP/Compaq have always supported both Intel and AMD. Heck, Intel might have had a lot to do with Dell losing that top spot? Maybe Dell should be suing them as well. :) (just kiding, I think all the suing going on is ridiculous.)

Atech

explain please
Take a degree in economics? :p

Or just search the web ...

Edit, wait a minute, you're saying that Intel paying kickbacks to OEMs is absolutely fine. Are you trying to set up a straw man here? Because your first response to mine was more along the lines of "cooperating between two companies to defeat a third is fine". That's ambiguous. This is collusion between one company and another in different markets (whole systems vs one component) in an effort to inhibit another "one component" company, for one of the aforementioned two in return for cheaper deals for the "whole system" company. You seem to be saying that companies A B and C are in exactly the same market/same plane.

This activity/collusion just wipes out free market darwinism. It's completely against said principle.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Take a degree in economics? :p

Or just search the web ...

Edit, wait a minute, you're saying that Intel paying kickbacks to OEMs is absolutely fine. Are you trying to set up a straw man here? Because your first response to mine was more along the lines of "cooperating between two companies to defeat a third is fine". That's ambiguous. This is collusion between one company and another in different markets (whole systems vs one component) in an effort to inhibit another "one component" company, for one of the aforementioned two in return for cheaper deals for the "whole system" company. You seem to be saying that companies A B and C are in exactly the same market/same plane.

This activity/collusion just wipes out free market darwinism. It's completely against said principle.

i know how free market capitalism works. i am saying that in a free market collusion between companies in two different markets is natural and good. govt intervention in contracts between companies is unnatural and bad.

Atech

i know how free market capitalism works. i am saying that in a free market collusion between companies in two different markets is natural and good. govt intervention in contracts between companies is unnatural and bad.
That's what anti-capitalists and mercantilists would say, that all capitalism naturally results in collusion and thus free markets are fundamentally impossible. Right wing free market economists would disagree.

The basic problem with collusion can be thought of in fundamental economic terms. In a completely (and strictly enforced) free market, market forces are in a cut throat battle to produce goods at the lowest possible price with the greatest efficiency. This increases the overall wealth of society and the economy. Collusion is an attempt to decrease the amount of wealth that a company needs to create by inhibiting competition in order to increase their profits. Thus collusion is a bad thing, and incompatible with a strictly enforced truly free market.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
That's what anti-capitalists would say, that all capitalism naturally results in collusion and thus free markets are fundementally impossible. Right wing free market economists would disagree.

The basic problem with collusion can be thought of in fundemental economic terms. In a completely (and strictly enforced) free market, market forces are in a cut throat battle to produce goods at the lowest possible price with the greatest efficiency. This increases the overall wealth of society and the economy. Collusion is an attempt to decrease the amount of wealth that a company needs to create by inhibiting competition in order to increase their profits. Thus collusion is a bad thing, and incompatible with a strictly enforced truly free market.

anti-capitalists are incorrect in thinking capitalism results in collusion. i dont know why you think we disagree? im just saying that companies will inhibit competition and that is natural. it is how they do it that is what makes the difference. paying companies to break contracts behind the back of another company is obviously against free market principles. paying companies who dont have contracts with other companies isn't

Atech

anti-capitalists are incorrect in thinking capitalism results in collusion. i dont know why you think we disagree? im just saying that companies will inhibit competition and that is natural. it is how they do it that is what makes the difference. paying companies to break contracts behind the back of another company is obviously against free market principles. paying companies who dont have contracts with other companies is not illegal.
You seemed to state that you disagreed with me. If you believe collusion is economically bad, then fine, so do I.

But you seem to be saying you believe two mutually exclusive things.

A company giving another discounts so long as they don't use a competitors goods is collusion, whether there is an existing contract or not. Collusion is not dependent on contract law.

Last edited:

HellasVagabond

System Name SECONDARY RIG / PRIMARY RIG / THIRD RIG
Processor i920@3.6GHz / i920@4GHz / AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-UD4P / Gigabyte EX58-UD7 / ASRock 890GX3
Cooling CoolIT Domino ALC / Thermalright Silver Arrow / Thermalright VenomousX
Memory 12GB DDR3 @ 1800MHZ / 6GB DDR3 @ 2250MHZ / 4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) XFX ATI RADEON 5970 / GAINWARD NVIDIA GTX 580 / 2xGEFORCE GTX295
Storage 1550GB / 6TB SAS - SSD / 160GB SSD
Display(s) NEC 26WUXi2 / NEC 3090WQXi / SONY 55A2000 (1080P 55inch)
Case COOLER MASTER HAF 932 / COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 / ANTEC DARKFLEET DF85
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music / SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro / Realtek Onboard
Power Supply CWT 1200W / Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W / Ikonik Vulcan 1200W
Software Windows 7 x64 / Windows 7 x64 / Windows 7 x64
Intel States Its Actions in Europe Benefit Consumers

Intel released an answer to the EU
SANTA CLARA, Calif., July 27, 2007 – Intel Corporation today issued the following statement from Bruce Sewell, senior vice president and general counsel, in response to the decision by the European Commission's Directorate General for Competition to issue a statement of objections concerning the company's business practices."We are confident that the microprocessor market segment is functioning normally and that Intel's conduct has been lawful, pro-competitive, and beneficial to consumers. While we would certainly have preferred to avoid the cost and inconvenience of establishing that our competitive conduct in Europe has been lawful, the Commission's decision to issue a Statement of Objections means that at last Intel will have the opportunity to hear and respond to the allegations made by our primary competitor.The case is based on complaints from a direct competitor rather than customers or consumers. The Commission has an obligation to investigate those complaints. However, a Statement of Objections contains only preliminary allegations and does not itself amount to a finding that there has been a violation of European Union law. Intel will now be given the chance to respond directly to the Commission's concerns as part of the administrative process. The evidence that this industry is fiercely competitive and working is compelling. When competitors perform and execute the market rewards them. When they falter and under-perform the market responds accordingly."

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Intel has a chance to defend itself before the EU's executive arm takes a final decision that could order the company to stop abusive behavior or charge the company with millions of dollars fine.

Well AMD did say it was looking for outside funding :laugh:

Seriously tho, I do think AMD have been run into ruin Since Intel came out in force & released the Core 2's ever since its been core 2 this core 2 that. & some if not all motherboard manufacturers will only release a core 2 duo version of a mobo because thats how the market is. nobody wants AMD's anymore its all about the Core 2's. so they have also sufferd in that department also.

Hopefully Intel will back off enough to let AMD have a little elbow room to work & hopefully be able to get back some of the market

Well all the systems in which I previously was going to use E6600s in them now are going to use 6000+s. No... OC = Busted warranty remember?

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
For shame Intel, for shame......

seriously, did anyone NOT know about intel's obscene rebate program, or was I one of the lucky ones?

I really thought this was obvious. :banghead:

But Intel's prices are always higher than AMD's. Any new hot product that is introduced into the market any tech company will ask for more. That is how the tech world functions. Didn't Intel ask for a Arm and a Leg to buy their processors when they first released any new technology?

I don't understand what are you guys talking about.

Intel has always been sued one way or other. When you can't do proper business because ur products suck you have to do all under the table dealings to sell. Every where in the universe it is called 'Cheating'!!

These accusations are about rebates, that made intel significantly cheaper than AMD, in which were only available to you when you guaranteed to not use AMD products.

In the end you would get a cheaper intel box, because you didn't pick AMD. If you had AMD stuff, you were ineligible.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill DDR4-3600 Trident Z CL 16
Video Card(s) MSi GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage Crucial P1 500GB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 IPS 165Hz G-Sync
Case Lian-Li PC-A10B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Zowie EC1-A
Keyboard G.Skill KM780 MX (MX brown)
This looks like the Lockheed scandal in the 50's. :shadedshu

Bristish plane "Saunders-Roe SR.177" VS american "Lockheed F-104 Starfighter".
The SR.177 was a combined jet- and rocket-powered interceptor aircraft for the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy. Was going to be the perfect plane to intercept russian bombers and going to be the choice for NATO forces.

The "Lockheed F-104" was not a good plane for the americans: unstabble, limited by bad weather conditions and short wings with limited space for missiles. So they rejected it and Lockheed was in trouble. And the only solution to make some money was to sale their (bad) planes to foreign countries.

Suddenly West Germany and other european governments changed their opinion and choosed the F-104 as their interceptor. The F-104 won the NATO deal. Experts were surprised.
The planes had to be improved to fit european conditions, but then the plane was even worst. It was very heavy and hard to control... the result: 270 crashed planes, 110 pilots dead, only in the luftwaffe...

The SR.177 would be a fantastic plane and way much better than the F-104. But the "corrupt money" killed the SR.177 project.

For 20 years the mysterious reasons of the F-104 choice were kept in secret. After the "Watergate":
This Lockheed coup, known as the "Deal of the Century", caused major political controversy in Europe and West German minister of defence Franz Josef Strauss was almost forced to resign over the issue.
During later investigation into Lockheeds business practices it was discovered that Lockheed had paid out millions of dollars in 'Sales Incentives' in each of these countries to secure the deal. Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands confessed to taking more than 1 million USD in bribes from Lockheed to buy the F-104.
in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders-Roe_SR.177

So, this is how some americans see market competition: "it's all about the money and the radical ways to get more".

I don't know if Intel is guilty, but thank god EU is working to prevent cases like this Lockheed scandal. :cool:

Last edited:
System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
So, this is how some americans see market competition: "it's all about the money and the radical ways to get more".

I don't know if Intel is guilty, but thank god UE is working to prevent cases like this Lockheed scandal. :cool:

Not what its intended to be, but its the sad reality these days.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I hope they get sued big time. i mean paying off companys to take their proc? bad move way to put a choke hold on the competition that isnt being competative. thats taking a gun to a fist fight i hope intel gets mad crazy sued and some other punishment i cant think of like stop all production for a month of something.