• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's CEO Blames 10 nm Delay on being "Too Aggressive"

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
You must be talking about battery life because the computational performances are very similar.
Yup, battery life, SpeedStep, better IGP (though not earth shattering). Everything but raw HP has improved.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
We can complain about the 4 core rampage all day long but let's face it, nobody had a purpose for anything much more for most things. It just didn't pay off. Intel's focus on IPC was the right one, if you ask me. But they should really have pushed more cores from Broadwell onwards; they just simply had no reason to because there was no competition.

I agree, this Intel story, for once, seems pretty credible. Its also quite something to admit this publicly, albeit with a positive spin.

But now imagine if they screw up 7nm with their 'realistic target' ;)
I agree. The push for more IPC and efficiency will allow for breakthroughs in core count. However, I think Intel held at 4C for as long as they did is for production optimization. More cores make bigger chips. For a time, from Sandy Bridge to maybe Haswell, Intel put the extra die space in improving the IGP. The problem is that since Skylake, they really haven’t moved the needle on anything but refining 14nm and adding cores (which goes contrary to their small die objective). The 10nm screw up has likely cost them in executing advancements, as none of them are likely designed for the 14nm node.

Yup, battery life, SpeedStep, better IGP (though not earth shattering). Everything but raw HP has improved.
But how much of that is from just die shrinks? Sandy Bridge was the biggest jump for IGP improvements. Even now, IGP gains has seemingly stalled. Though Ice Lake will work to counter that.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
But how much of that is from just die shrinks? Sandy Bridge was the biggest jump for IGP improvements. Even now, IGP gains has seemingly stalled. Though Ice Lake will work to counter that.
Well, SpeedStep surely didn't come from die shrinks. Better video decoders didn't come from die shrinks (though you could argue, having room for more transistors made that possible).
And let's not forget Intel pushed forward the SSD market as well with their X25-M. I know, different division, but just saying, they weren't just sitting still like some like to think.

And let's not forget, Ryzen only matches Intel's current IPC. If Intel didn't mess up with Ice Lake, Ryzen would have been playing catch up from the very beginning.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Not as aggressive as paying off all the retailers and OEM system builders to sell more intel units.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Not as aggressive as paying off all the retailers and OEM system builders to sell more intel units.
It wasn't a pay off. It was just that AMD had such a small market share (<10%) that when Intel offered a 10% discount on their CPUs, builders were suddenly getting the remaining 10% of the CPUs for free, if they stuck with Intel.
It was still shot down in court, so I'm not defending the practice. I'm just saying, it wasn't something as obvious as a pay off.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
While Intel might have been a little too ambitious with their shrink to 10nm, even with the best of planning and effort 10nm would still have gotten delayed and at best be similarly successful to TSMC's "7nm". And we have to remember that the upcoming nodes are not going to get easier, this is the new normal, and they have to deal with it.

The more important issue, which most seem to miss, is Intel's lack of a proper backup plan. Intel have put good development effort into Sunny Cove, which features their largest improvement in single thread performance since Sandy Bridge, but a lot of that effort is "wasted" when they don't have a suitable node to produce it on. If they had only done a small effort to prepare the architecture for 14nm as well, they would have been in a much better position right now. Luckily though, it's not like their development efforts have slowed down significantly, and Sapphire Rapids scheduled for 2021 should offer additional single thread improvements over Ice Lake/Sunny Cove, which seems to get a rather short "lifespan" in the market. So we should have some exciting years ahead of us with several improvements from both Intel and AMD, after several years of boring refreshes.

If you mean add more cores, then sure they could have done that. But look at single thread performance, even with the huge turn around at AMD they are just now pulling even with Skylake, an architecture that has been out for almost 4 years. If it were that easy to surpass it and improve performance then AMD would have done it.
Don't forget that it was Intel's repeated "screwups" on 10nm which allowed AMD to catch up. Ice Lake/Sunny Cove was supposed to launch in 2017.
Also, for the record, 6-core Coffee Lake was know before the launch of Zen. Mainstream 6-cores for the initial Skylake(2015) was not realistic due to the state of the 14nm at that time, most people have forgotten that it was very troublesome for some time.

Reactions: bug
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
It wasn't a pay off. It was just that AMD had such a small market share (<10%) that when Intel offered a 10% discount on their CPUs, builders were suddenly getting the remaining 10% of the CPUs for free, if they stuck with Intel.
It was still shot down in court, so I'm not defending the practice. I'm just saying, it wasn't something as obvious as a pay off.

obvious to whom? Looked pretty obvious to a lot of people. Dont deceive yourself Intel does way too much underhanded 'stuff', so if you must call it something....

You had a choice, you just chose not to do it for whatever reason...be it the higher cost or whatever... but, you had a choice.
Having to pay just for the CPU more than for the entire computer with a quad core was simply insane.
That is no "choice", it's like being mugged at gun-point on the street is a "choice"...

But anyway, I'm glad those days are over.
Finally there is a choice.
Phew !

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Well, SpeedStep surely didn't come from die shrinks. Better video decoders didn't come from die shrinks (though you could argue, having room for more transistors made that possible).
And let's not forget Intel pushed forward the SSD market as well with their X25-M. I know, different division, but just saying, they weren't just sitting still like some like to think.

And let's not forget, Ryzen only matches Intel's current IPC. If Intel didn't mess up with Ice Lake, Ryzen would have been playing catch up from the very beginning.
No doubt. Sandy Bridge was really the chip that changed it all. Once SB was introduced, Intel was able to refine it with iterative updates. Die shrinks made expanding the various components possible. You might even argue that Nehalem/Westmere were the catalysts with their IMCs, but SB gave us the first good graphics from Intel.

Reactions: bug
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Are you an cpu engineer to claim that?

You don't have to be. You can just look at the codenames and IPC differences and infer that signifigant changes went on under the hood between kentfield and Skylake series.

Wikichip cooberates this, for the engineer inclined.

Wasn't aware you had to be a CPU engineer to recall the last decade of CPUs....look how long it took the i7s to become 6 physical cores..

i7-990x Nehalem/Westmere says hello.

IPC man... it can't be identical chips with it changed. if there weren't innovating the cores, there'd be more of them, rest assured.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
No doubt. Sandy Bridge was really the chip that changed it all. Once SB was introduced, Intel was able to refine it with iterative updates.
Not really, it's more a question of focus.
Haswell and Skylake have been major architectural changes to facilitate massive improvements for AVX, specialized acceleration and to some extent multi-core scaling, but unfortunately the IPC gains have been fairly small.
Ice Lake(Sunny Cove), which is two years overdue, seems to rectify some of this, by improving significantly integer multiplication/division, cache and load/store operations, all of which supposedly offers ~18% IPC gain, while only offering marginal improvements in SIMD over Skylake-X.

Just give me ICE LAKE already. I have been waiting for So many YEARS. I am sick of hearing about amd this, amd that, amd... Hello INTEL, release ICELAKE!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So you are so worried about that, yet you go buy exactly one of
Having to pay just for the CPU more than for the entire computer with a quad core was simply insane.
That is no "choice", it's like being mugged at gun-point on the street is a "choice"...

But anyway, I'm glad those days are over.
Finally there is a choice.
Phew !
There's a choice though. ;)

It was also part of the hedt platform which bridges the gap between consumer and server with a workstation class part. Where time is money, 50% more cores/threads, it could be worth it. But again, it was HEDT, not where most consumers play.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Blah, blah, blah. By the time Intel can actually compete, zen 5 will be launching lol

Blah, blah, blah. By the time Intel can actually compete, zen 5 will be launching lol

I didn't know Zen 5 was launching now. From the Zen 2 reviews, Intel can still compete and still lead in single thread performance.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I didn't know Zen 5 was launching now. From the Zen 2 reviews, Intel can still compete and still lead in single thread performance.

No one cares. Market share continues to fall.

They didn't stop innovating, they shifted focus to the booming mobile market. A 4 core Skylake laptop will blow a 4 core Kentsfield laptop out of the water any day.
Yep there's always that...LMAO!!

Processor AMD FX-8350 X8
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO
Memory Corsair XMS-3 2x4GB 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Ultimate HD 7950 3GB GDDR5
Storage Samsung SSD 850 Pro 128GB - WD Black 500GBx2 - Samsung 1TB - Hitachi 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S22A310X Plus
Power Supply Green 585 Watts
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator II
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator II
Software Windows 10 Pro
Is it just me or every body else is confused too?
how come 10nm compared to 14nm will have 2.7x density improvement but 7nm will have 2x density improvement?
and anything else that he said was completely lies and there is no evidence of it in real world.
Either Mr. swan is a moron or he think that we are bunch of morons!

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
how come 10nm compared to 14nm will have 2.7x density improvement but 7nm will have 2x density improvement?
and anything else that he said was completely lies and there is no evidence of it in real world.
gibberish. comparing what to what? lying about what? evidence?

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
The more important issue, which most seem to miss, is Intel's lack of a proper backup plan. Intel have put good development effort into Sunny Cove, which features their largest improvement in single thread performance since Sandy Bridge, but a lot of that effort is "wasted" when they don't have a suitable node to produce it on. If they had only done a small effort to prepare the architecture for 14nm as well, they would have been in a much better position right now.
Would Sunny Cove cores be viable on 14nm? I mean literally, in terms of transistors, die size as well as heat.

Assuming things are similar enough for Intel/TSMC 14nm and 10nm/7nm, Zen+ > Zen2 went from 4.8B transistors to 3.9 + 2.09 = 5.99B transistors. Intel does not disclose the transistor count on current CPUs but 8700K is estimated to have a little above 3B transistors and 9900K a little less than 4B which puts Intel's 14nm density roughly on par with TSMC's (and/or architecture density on par with AMD).
- Zen+ is 4.8B in 213mm^2 die (22Mtr/mm^2)
- Zen2 is 3.9B in 74mm^2 CCD (53Mtr/mm^2) and 2.09B in 124mm^2 IOD (17Mtr/mm^2)

There seems to be more and more evidence that IO does not scale well and relatively less dense IO die seems to support that notion. When it comes to cores themselves, 7nm is more than twice as dense as 14nm - 2.4x, give or take. Zen2 has about 40% more transistors in cores compared to Zen+ (and this might be a conservative estimate given changes with IO)

Sunny Cove improvements over Skylake pretty much mirror the changes AMD did with Zen2, increase in transistors needed to implement it should be roughly similar as well. Now, while manufacturing dies does not seem to be a big problem (in terms of yields) heat at 14nm is definitely a problem. 9900K is evidence enough. Now, imagine a 40% larger die with similar power density...

What are you talking about?
Lets leave Intel aside for a moment. TSMC does not say direct comparison between 16nm and 7nm on their web page because they have a 10nm process between these. However, TSMC does state 16 > 10 was 2x density (15% faster, 35% less power) and 10 > 7 was 1.6x density (20% faster and 40% less power). This makes out 16 > 7 having 3.2x density improvement. Granted, TSMC's 16nm is a little less dense than Intel's 14nm and Intel's 10nm was initially (that 2.7x claim) intended to be denser than the current version but the scale is correct enough.

The stated density improvements are naturally somewhat real-life but best case scenarios. High performance versions of manufacturing processes that are used for CPUs or GPUs are less dense and less power efficient than mobile-oriented process versions.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You don't have to be. You can just look at the codenames and IPC differences and infer that signifigant changes went on under the hood between kentfield and Skylake series.

Wikichip cooberates this, for the engineer inclined.

i7-990x Nehalem/Westmere says hello.

IPC man... it can't be identical chips with it changed. if there weren't innovating the cores, there'd be more of them, rest assured.

I love how people whine about the eternal quads and casually forget there is HEDT since they were in diapers. As if AMD was always the only company doing 'moar cores', lol. The only difference is that Intel is and was always better at extracting money from their technology. The HEDT line up is exactly that. Its just more of the same, mostly, and it was even late to market, but it still sold.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I love how people whine about the eternal quads and casually forget there is HEDT since they were in diapers. As if AMD was always the only company doing 'moar cores', lol. The only difference is that Intel is and was always better at extracting money from their technology. The HEDT line up is exactly that. Its just more of the same, mostly, and it was even late to market, but it still sold.
I think it's mostly a matter of price. We had many cores, but they cost a lot more than they do today.
Me, I'm not held back by my quad core (didn't even bother with HT), but at the new prices, I'm tempted to upgrade just because.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I love how people whine about the eternal quads and casually forget there is HEDT since they were in diapers.

Your point being ? Here's a fun fact, in 2011 Intel released 10 core Nehalem based Xeons, that's an architecture dating back to 2008 may I remind you and it wasn't even that big, relatively speaking, at just over 500 mm^2.

It's painfully obvious they had the capability to deliver more cores to the mainstream market but chose not to. To me as a consumer, the fact that Intel is better at extracting money means jack shit, all I see is a company that has been sandbagging for almost a decade.

D

Deleted member 178884

Your point being ? Here's a fun fact, in 2011 Intel released 10 core Nehalem based Xeons, that's an architecture dating back to 2008 may I remind you and it wasn't even that big, relatively speaking, at just over 500 mm^2.
Point? It's called not lying about intel having only 4 cores during that time period as there are other options, fanboys are just looking at the mainstream, and most of the mainstream aren't going to need more than four cores in reality.

No one cares. Market share continues to fall.
Correction, you don't care. People will and can continue to buy Intel.